YMTC Idol 10: Audition round

219 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMTCIdol10logo.jpg)

Welcome to the 10th installment of YMTC Idol!

YMTC Idol has come to be one of the longest running contests on these forums, and I'm happy to help usher it into its 10th year of challenging creative minds to etch their names into YMTC history.

The previous year saw 30 contestants enter the fray; in the end, Mown was left victorious. Those wishing to achieve such glory must first audition in this thread before my panel of judges. Should you meet their favor, you will then have to find your way through 10 rounds of elimination card creation, whereupon one magnificent mind will remain and be crowned YMTC Idol. Your judges this year are...

[color=brown]Mown[/color], the winner of YMTC Idol 9!...
Kavu_Overlord, the winner of YMTC Idol 8!...
And your host, Rush_Clasic, the winner of... um... erm... your hearts and affections!

[color=purple]Audition Criteria[/color]:
In the past 5 years or so, Magic has made strive to reuse old material, especially when it can do it in exciting, new contexts. The past was once seen as a sacred resource, with the core sets receiving most of the reprints, with expert sets receiving barely anything to recall the past, and with such initiatives as the "reserve list" being created. But Magic has grown, and in that growth realized that the past should not only be utilized, but that it is fun to do so.

Assignment:
Below is a list of 10 cards, 5 of which are slotted to be reprinted in the upcoming imaginary set The Siege of Genevi. Reprints are used to highlight both minor and major themes, but often are simply called upon to play well with the set's mechanics or flavor. Using 5 of these 10 cards as the basis, create the prelease/release promo card for The Siege of Genevi. There is no absolute correct theme to follow from the samples below; use them as inspiration for the world of this set and use your imagination (and justifications if you feel they're warranted) to make your submission. If a few cards don't fit your theme, try not to worry so much; this contest is still about making good cards.

Bonded FetchGoatnapper, Gloom Surgeon, NixBlind Creeper, Elgaud InquisitorElvish Spirit Guide, Pitchstone Wall, Cavalry Master, Revive

In summary:

- make a prelease/release promo card
- that means it should be rare or mythic
- and should highlight some of the set themes (whatever you decide those are)
- it doesn't need to be a creature; however, creatures are chosen as promos for a reason
- list the 5 cards you're using as your basis

You have one week to submit your audition card. The number of entrants promoted into the contest's next round will be based on the number of individuals auditioning.

Good luck!
Fickle Spelgeon
Creature - Devil Shaman  (R)
Surge -- Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, you may exile it. If you do, flip a coin. If you win the flip, copy the exiled spell twice. You may cast the copies without paying their mana costs. If you lose the flip, draw a card.
4/3

Cards:
Bonded Fetch
Nix
Blind Creeper
Elvish Spirit Guide
Revive

These cards play heavily into a single theme: storm.  Not the exact mechanic, of course, but that playstyle.  They want to play cards, and play them fast.  This is pushed for that environment, for a few reasons.  1) The set seems to want to play as many cards for as cheaply and as fast as you can, giving up your resources to do so (Elvish Spirit Guide).  2) There would be a creature/noncreature spit.  With the increase in needing non-permanent spells, that increases the chances of removal, which means creatures need to have an impact, especially expensive ones.  3) It's a card that players want to get.

Bonded Fetch also plays up to this, due to the siphoning, so you get the perfect hand before you go off, while Revive helps along the process, fitting in perfectly for ramp-based decks, so green has a competitive nature here.

Nix was one of the most important cards here, though.  For a rare to be reprinted, it needs to be important.  Here, it would definitely shine.  It's a holder on the rest of what the set would show, being a way to stop degenerate combos.  This also puts a minor subtheme (which this card shows) on copying spells.

And, the card is a rare, rather than a mythic, because mythics aren't prerelease cards anymore. :P

Might update the post later, but might not~
\o/
Interesting criterion, must come up with idea later.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

Reaper of the Lost
Creature - Spirit {Rare}
Whenever a creature dies, if it received no damage this turn, you may exile it.
~ gets +1/+1 and has flanking for each creature in exile.
The souls of the fallen must not go to Waste.
3/3

Cards: Gloom SurgeonNixElvish Spirit GuideCavalry Master,  and Blind Creeper.

The major theme of this set is the Exiled zone, and interactions therewith (see, I sound smart!) Anyway, a number of cards will receive bonuses for having specific types of cards in exile, while a very select few will even be able to bring them back. Two sub-themes of the set will be alternate costing for spells, which will tie in to the exile theme by being able to exile itself (like the guide) or other cards (thus the free spells to make nix useful) as well as non-damage death. This is an interesting one because it can be tied into flanking (getting enough flanking to outright kill with -1/-1s), the blind creeper can kill itself that way, triggering positive effects, and also kill spells. The Gloom Surgeon and its elk will help with the exile theme, as will (perhaps) a cycle of spirit guides.

"Oh, no," Chainer said dramatically. "Angels and justicars! The Order has come for me! Whatever shall I do?" He focused on the Mirari back in his chamber, concentrated, and every door in the huge arena slammed shut and melted into the wall around it. His eyes were long gone, and his voice boomed out louder than the announcer's. "Come one, come all. The Mirari awaits. Who is strong enough to take it from me?" - excerpt from Chainer's Torment, by Scott McGough
I might post something, but I doubt it.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
What happened to Elite Inquisitor? I guess this means I have to scrap any DFC ideas?

Riscer, Arch-Necromancer
Legendary Creature - Zombie Wizard  [MR]
You may play cards from any player's graveyard as though they were in your hand.
Cards that would be put in a graveyard from anywhere are exiled instead as long as Riscer, Arch-Necromancer is on the battlefield.
Dying is a gift for the living, and also the living's gift to Riscer.
4/4

This seems to be a set open to graveyard interaction as a theme. I designed Riscer not only to allow play in one's own graveyard, but incorporate control over an opponent's graveyard. I think Riscer offers either nice synergy or hate with the chosen cards. Also, I brought in blind creeper for some zombie synergy, along with making your opponent not want to cast spells that could end up in exile or under the control of the lich.

Elvish Spirit Guide 
Pitchstone Wall
Revive
Bonded Fetch
Blind Creeper
damn it Rush this is a sweet criteria. brace for words.

SERIOUSLY A LOT OF WORDS
so I decided I'd look at each of the 10 cards and discuss a little bit what it implied about the set, both from a flavorful and mechanical perspective, then try to piece together the most coherent options I can.

also of note: flavor text and art can change, so the only thing that really restricts flavor is the name and any subtypes. however, due to the nature of futureshifting, bonded fetch and nix need to basically remain within the same concept. anyway here we go:

bonded fetch: mechanically, this doesn't imply a whole lot. it's a fairly basic looter variant. the defender/haste thing could however be some sort of mechanical subtheme in a set about activated abilities. flavorfully, though, like I said, it's fairly restrictive. it lays out a world where mages study the infinite, and construct arcane beings to comb their minds. I could certainly work with that, but it does box me in a bit.

goatnapper: this does not seem like a good reprint. outside of changeling, it demands your set be heavily goat-dominated. which is bizarre. and, beyond that, it demands that those goats be non-anthropic, because the flavor is pretty iffy in a world of intelligent Caprinae. although I could have an intelligent race and an unitelligent subspecies, flavoring it as kidnapping the latter but allowing it mechanically to interact with the former. could work.

gloom surgeon: this might actually be at home in my old Alexandris block, if you set aside the name. mechanically, he feels like he wants to be in a library block, although I found out the hard way that library blocks are VERY hard to make. outside of that, there's not much mechanical indication, and I'm not a huge fan of arbitrary reprints that have no real connection with the set they're in. not a huge fan of this one.

Nix: this is great. it implies a world of alternate costs, which are a passion of mine. the flavor implies some heretical presence, which is nice. I could definitely see this working out. maybe the goat-people have mastered spellcasting without mana? who knows?

Blind Creeper: I feel like putting this in a block that encourages spellcasting like the one Nix indicates is a little cruel, since it's already bad on its own. I might do it, but it seems mean.

Elgaud Inquisitor: the name requires me to return to Innistrad to reprint it. with the restrictions placed by the other cards, I don't see that as a possibility. sorry, bro.

Elvish Spirit Guide: my "cast lots of spells" block is comming together nicely. this card is another in line with Nix and Fetch that encourages a lot of spells. the flavor is fairly easily workable.

pitchstone wall: depending on the mechanics I go with, this could fit as well. it makes me use discard, which I'm not a huge fan of when I'm encouraging a lot of casting, but it could work.

Cavalry Master: flanking does nothing. if he's reprinted it's just for flavor. while I'm okay with that, he doesn't excite me.

revive: again implies discard as a theme, but doesn't smack you over the head with it so I don't need to listen, flavorfully, completely open.

so if I go for a world run by intelligent goat-people who raise regular goats and who love alternate costs, the cards I can use are Bonded Fetch, Goatnapper, Nix, Spirit Guide, and Revive. I'll go with that. let's look into the flavor first.
the Caprinae are no ordinary anthropomorphic race. they did not evolve to be what they are. they were mere goats before a duel between planeswalkers ripped a hole in the fabric of Arracor, leaving a window into the Blind Eternities. a goatherd's flock wandered by the hole and, as they gazed into the infinite dark, infinity gazed back into them. many died died, while a few found themselves suddenly awakened to the mysteries of the universe. they found their bodies transformed, more into the forms of the perfect beings they had seen flitting through the unknown. they now stood on two legs, towering over their former kin. desperate to share this awakening with others, they dragged many of their fellow goats to the tear, lamenting as many died before they could realize their gifts. in time, they learned that only the strongest of minds could handle the knowledge that was being imparted. they brought together their kind, protecting the tear zealously from outsiders, while raising their comrades to be able to absorb the knowledge. when they found one with potential, they would bring them to the hole in the shining citadel of Gennevi, let them stare into infinity, and hopefully have a new-born Caprinate. they are vastly protective of their docile kin, guarding them from goblin poachers and elvish hunters. in time, they learned to construct homunculi, creating small ones to help them in their studies of the infinities revealed, and large ones to protect their flocks. the Caprinae are a chiefly blue race, secondary in green and tertiary in white.

mechanically, The Siege of Gennevi is about playing spells. it doesn't care what spells you play, just keep playing them. it'd be the perfect block for storm if storm wasn't pretty near inherently broken. if I were making the block for real I might take a stab at balancing storm, but after what happened the last two times I don't know that that's a good idea. but anyway, Arracor is all about spells. as such, it also has to be about card draw, because spells don't come from nowhere. it's also about alternate costs. ways to play spells that don't take mana, so you can play more spells. one way to do that is featured on our preview card:

Gor-Alek, Caprinate Eversage-
Creature-Goat Wizard (M)
At the beginning of each end step, draw a card for each spell you played this turn.
Fathom 6 (you may cast this card without paying its mana cost if you've cast 6 or more spells this turn.)
"The homunculi have found something. Assemble the council, there is much to be done."
4/4

in case you didn't read the sblock like I told you not to, the cards reprinted are bonded fetch, goatnapper, nix, elvish spirit guide, and revive.

a few quick design notes: while, like I said, this block is about playing spells, playing 6 in one turn will still be hard. Gor-Alek obviously wins the game if you resolve it off Fathom (drawing 7 cards tends to do that) but the set will be balanced so that that will not be easy to do without investing at least a par amount of mana. also, fathom will not exist in numbers less than 2, requiring some amount of commitment while still allowing exciting fathom chains.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
apparently Yushy saw the same thing I saw.

whatever. he didn't put in goat-people.

Hey, ah, Razorborne? The set already has a name. It's in the OP.

Unity Harvesters -
Creature - Homunculus
You may exile a creature you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
When ~ enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature and pair it with ~. Exile ~ and that creature when they are no longer paired.
"With blood on the hands, all will be one once more." -Carnith Seer
2/2

Goatnapper, Nix, Revive, Gloom Surgeon, Bonded Fetch

Info
All of the reigning races have seen the apocalypse, but only the undergrowth has seen its end. With the devils freed from their demon lords' clutches and phoenixes reborn with only vengence, each race, willing or not, must vie for survival and control. Thriving saprolings against the desparate nomads against the roiling earth... all must endure The Siege of Genevi.

Unity Harvesters highlights the one of the most illusives race living on Genevi (the homonculi), one of the returning keywords (soulbond), and the vain efforts to restore order to this bedlam world.

The homonculi, with no one to guide them, are left to their own devices. They act on impulse and often strive for purposes unknown. No cost is too great. No effort too large. Though their frames are feeble, few venture to demand reason or secrets from the homonculus hive.

Soulbond is back and it's better than ever. Avacyn Restored introduced soulbond, but The Siege of Genevi has perfected it. Bland bonuses are repalced by dynamic interactions that are easy to pick up by a novice, but able to be truly explored by a master.

All of the "inspirations" should be fairly obvious except for Revive. Revive serves as a perfect example of what enemy colors truly are. The homunculi are like the "worst" of today's humans. Recycling is a foreign concept. Everything is either used, exhausted, and/or thrown away. In sharp contrast, the saprolings are nothing but a writhing compost heap.

Note that this concept is an extension of one that I have been toying with for a while. One that was most explored in Flopfoot's contest, but is largely still a fledgling open for development.

Genevi is a living land with a mind and agenda seemingly of its own. The strongest broke in its wind and the rest are struggling to bend

The Carnith are a band of nomads. The last remaining humans and a smattering of civilized beings search for a land to rebuild upon.

The homonculi are a hive of impulse. Raised in custody, they have never had a mind of their own. They do as they see fit, and nothing more.

The devils, without their demon masters, strive for nothing more than ascendancy. Eons of being ruled has left them with a lust for comeuppance.

The pheonixes have inherently survived and are infernos of chaos. All burn in their flights of unrest.

Saprolings have emerged from the ashes and seek to expand their borders. Their growth is unparalleled in this fertile, if volatile, earth.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

good catch.

good catch.

Always here to back you up. Us old farts gotta stick together.
What happened to Elite Inquisitor? I guess this means I have to scrap any DFC ideas?

It was always meant to be Elgaud Inquisitor. I'm just bad at double-checking... well, until I do it. I also didn't realize Elgaud was an Innistrad unique word. Oops.
apparently Yushy saw the same thing I saw.

whatever. he didn't put in goat-people.

That's cause my set has antelope people. Cool
\o/

It was always meant to be Elgaud Inquisitor. I'm just bad at double-checking... well, until I do it. I also didn't realize Elgaud was an Innistrad unique word. Oops.

Maybe you could allow functional reprints as well? Or maybe just for this card, to get it out of an Innistrad context? That could solve the problem.
"Oh, no," Chainer said dramatically. "Angels and justicars! The Order has come for me! Whatever shall I do?" He focused on the Mirari back in his chamber, concentrated, and every door in the huge arena slammed shut and melted into the wall around it. His eyes were long gone, and his voice boomed out louder than the announcer's. "Come one, come all. The Mirari awaits. Who is strong enough to take it from me?" - excerpt from Chainer's Torment, by Scott McGough

Maybe you could allow functional reprints as well? Or maybe just for this card, to get it out of an Innistrad context? That could solve the problem.

why?

Cavalry Master
Elvish Spirit Guide
Gloom Surgeon
Bonded Fetch
Pitchstone Wall

Neumgard Captain -
Creature - Human Knight - R
Flanking 1
Essence - Whenever a card is exiled, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

Essence is an "ability" that triggers when cards are exiled.  They can function as an everytime thing or an on/off switch, just like landfall or morbid.  This set would have an exiling theme, but would not have a simple un-exile function.

Flanking would return, but would now have a number a la bushido.

Must. Better. Runnerup.
------

I see a battle being fought about resource philosophy. The war is being waged between recyclers such as Pitchstone Wall and those that support graveyard recycling - Revive, Bonded Fetch both show this theme.
There is a second faction however - Elvish Spirit Guide demonstrates the power of a once off bump, while Gloom Surgeon just about chews through resources to extend his strange life.

Realistically this would be mechanical theme in a set. Unlike previous graveyard based themes, it would attempt to highlight the difference between the exile zone and the graveyard, looking to set the delineation between these two as distinct areas.

Salient points:
1) There would likely be some kind of recursion mechanic, though to draw the line anything that looks at exiling stuff would be out - sorry flashback and unearth, hello undying/persist!
2) Exiling stuff would be permanent. No Runic Repetition in this set. Things like Fiend Hunter might have a place, but ideally not.
3) Stuff naturally goes to the graveyard, so any competing exile mechanic is starting from a fair way back - either the numbers or the power of the theme woud need to reflect it.
4) Seems like an awesome sort of place to put a strong Innistrad-like mill subtheme, as it would potentially play into both hands, making a 'dark puppeteer' second-set setup seem like a cool way to go.

But for my promo, I'd want to go with something players would be excited to see - so new, but not so new they can't quite figure out how to implement it yet - that sort of skews away from the exile-type mechanic (which is convenient, as I haven't written that). It needs to speak to a major flavour and mechanical note. Oh, and it's a promo, so it should be bad-ass enough that players want to see more.

History's Keeper |
Creature - Minotaur Shaman
If you would draw a card, instead put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard, then return on of those cards from your graveyard to your hand.
He remembers all tales of import, and allows the meaningless to fade into obscurity.
4/4

Edit: 3/4 -> 4/4, and Elf -> Minotaur
Edit 2: Now less completely and utterly broken.

Timespiral'd.

Wait, no!
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
My first instinct here is to work top down and start with the assumption that this set is about the siege of a single city. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that its themes and mechanics reflect this flavour, and we can use a highly subjective process of elimination to determine which five reprints would actually make the most sense in such a setting. Flavour text and art are always subject to update, so we'll just be looking at names and mechanics here.

Pitchstone Wall jumps out first; sieges are built around the concept of walls, and a set designed around that idea would surely reprint a old one if it matched up mechanically in some way. This suggests a subtheme related in some way to the hand, graveyard, discarding, sacrifice, or reuse of resources. The last of these makes a lot of sense, if we consider that sieges were typically attempts to starve the enemy out of their fortress.

Revive - What's this? Another generically-named card that lets you keep using the same stuff over and over?

Bonded Fetch lets you go through lots of stuff to find what you want, which is kind of antithetical to the "frugality" theme I've been thinking about. On the other hand, it lets you discard cards to Pitchstone Wall and defender could be a subtheme of the besieged forces. The flavour itself is general enough to fit in to any set.

Elvish Spirit Guide has a sort of improvisational feel that could play into the theme, but it's a pity it can't simply be discarded. On the other hand, it's still a form of sacrifice... Unfortunately, the name implies a cultural context I'm not sure that there's room to include in a straightforward siege set.  Besides, mana acceleration for an aggressive start is the absolute opposite of the slow attrition that I imagine this set to encourage.

Gloom Surgeon is a bit wasteful and doesn't die or put other cards in your graveyard, although that could be the point of a black rare. The name is vague enough to fit into just about any setting.

Blind Creeper is kind of a blank slate - one might think that its ability would make it at home in a set with Storm or the like, but it comes from Mirrodin. It could just be a kinky sewer beast.

Nix only works if the set has some kind of free play mechanic, which is still a definite possibility and could fit into the flavour theme as well as dumping cards into your graveyard.

Cavalry Master could go with the implicit military theme, although the concept of flanking seems a little bit at odds with siege warfare, as are charging horses.

Goatnapper probably wouldn't find many goats around a besieged fortress, and it's a Lorwyn novelty card anyways.

Elgaud Inquisitor requires that the set take place on Innistrad, and even if it did there wouldn't really be a place in the flavour for much inquisition.

Let's go with Pitchstone Wall, Revive, Bonded Fetch, Gloom Surgeon and I suppose I'll throw in Blind Creeper over Elvish Spirit Guide.

Siege Engineer
Creature - Human Rigger
Defender
: ~ assembles a Contraption from three cards in your graveyard. (Put a colourless Contraption artifact token onto the battlefield exiling those cards as components.)
Contraptions you control are 5/3 Juggernaut creatures in addition to their other types.
Whenever a Contraption you control dies, return one of its components to your hand.
"War is the only art that benefits from continually reusing the same material."
2/4

The actual comprehensive rules for assembling would obviously have to be more complicated, but I think the reminder text is clear enough for almost every player as it is. Contraptions are flavourfully appropriate for a siege-based set (particularly one with a name as Italian-sounding as Gennevi), and I think this card helps demonstrate why, while simultaneously opening a huge amount of design space. For example, other cards might assemble Contraptions from the top of your library, or permanents on the battlefield (in any case, I image most players would just put the pile onto the battlefield face down). And the more Riggers you control, the more functions each of your Contraptions would have. The cool thing about this ability is that you're not just putting artifact tokens onto the battlefield; you're simultaneously imprinting them with two or more cards of your choice.

Part of the appeal is that almost every Contraption you'll make will be slightly different, and that can manifest in any number of different ways. Here, you want to plan ahead to determine which cards you want to include in which Juggernauts, knowing that you can put in three good cards to maximize your options or wait and divvy them up over three Contraptions. But if another of your Riggers says that your Contraptions have ": Target player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the total converted mana cost of this Contraption's components" or "This Contraption is indestructible if its components share a type"... then you might make some very different decisions. Every Rigger has a different skill to add to the project.

Anyway, the idea here is that she builds your scraps into siege engines so that they can continue to fulfil a useful purpose, thus conserving your resources. Like Pitchstone Wall and Bonded Fetch, she has defender, which is a subtheme of this set, both for flavour purposes and to produce a slower game environment. With Steamflogger Boss around, Siege Engineer would also be a haste-tapper; most or all Riggers have important tap abilities, so the futureshifted card might actually be relevant in more ways than one. Bonded Fetch also dumps cards into your graveyard for Siege Engineer to work with, and both Pitchstone Wall and Revive let your get back what you need now; like the promo card, they both focus on retrieving resources. Gloom Surgeon will act as one as those black rares Wizards tends to throw into sets to purposefully screw with its predominant themes (although I suppose exiling might actually be relevant in this set), and its ability also helps counteract aggressive strategies to slow down play. Besides, armies need surgeons.

I'm brain-dead from lack of sleep now. Going to edit this if and when I wake up, assuming submissions aren't already aggregated by then.
Primary inspirations:
Bonded Fetch, Elgaud Inquisitor, Elvish Spirit Guide, Pitchstone Wall, Revive 

Working with a theme of sacrificing current resources to reclaim used ones, and the idea of holding a fortress (or an entire plane) against the seiges of an enemy force.

The Redemption ability involves recycling an old resource by returning a card from your graveyard to your hand.  Different cards will have different costs associated with it.  Some costs more severe than others.

Darrelion, Genevi's Regent  

Legendary Creature - Human Soldier

Vigilance, Lifelink

If a spell or ability an opponent controls
would exile a card you own, put that
card into your graveyard instead.

Redemption - Return target card from your 
graveyard to your hand; if you do, Exile
a card in your hand.  Use this ability only
once each turn.

"I am sworn to hold this land until the King's
return, and I will, even if I must break the
heavens themselves to do so."

4/4
I know I probably can't compete for all ten rounds but I really want to tag along for as long as possible. I'll be without internet from around June 22nd and like a month from then. Let's see...

Cards used as basis:
Bonded Fetch, Gloom Surgeon, Elvish Spirit Guide, Pitchstone Wall, Revive.

Findhar's Mending
Sorcery (R)
Return target creature from your graveyard to your hand.
Gravestorm (When you play this spell, copy it for each permanent put into a graveyard this turn. You may choose new targets for the copy.)
The Genevi countryside stood in flames, but where Findhar walked, it was as if a soothing river had washed out the suffering.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Creepulus -
Legendary Creature - Homunculus Rogue
Whenever you cast a spell without paying it's mana cost, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Whenever an opponent casts a spell without paying it's mana cost, put a -1/-1 counter on ~.
When ~ dies, return target card with converted mana cost 0 from your graveyard to the battlefield.
"The elvish name for it means "insatiable void"."
1/1

Cards chosen: Bonded Fetch, NixBlind CreeperRevive, Pitchstone Wall

Themes:

Defender creatures/walls subtheme --> Bonded Fetch, Pitchstone Wall
Alternate costs/ 0 mana costs --> Nix
Spells being cast matters --> Blind Creeper
Homunculuses (and other creepy cratures)! --> Bonded Fetch, Blind Creeper
Regrowth effects -> Pitchstone Wall, Revive

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Genevi is a dying world.
Just as worlds are born or created and then grow and flourish, they eventually  die, and Genevi is near the end of the line.
Everyone on the plane knows it. The Soritan Wizards were the first to find out, but the fact became more obvious as time went on: resources started dwindling, the connections to the mana became weaker, and catastrophes and cataclysms happened more frequently.
No one on the plane knows how to stop it. The Soritan Wizards were working on a solution, but they were defeated by the ineluctability of the event. Now they work on a way to escape the dying plane, though the situation is becoming critical.
With less and less to go by, the people of Genevi grew restless. Some embraced looting and hedonism to forget their woes, other find solace in fatalism and acceptance. All have to make do with less.
Now the news that the Soritan Wizards have found a way out of Genevi are spreading. No one knows whether they're true or not, but violence has increased. Chaos sweeps the land, the death tolls arise and the demise of the plane is accelerated.
By forces unknown on the outside, and by its own malcontent dwellers on the inside, Genevi is under siege.

The Siege Of Genevi is the first, large set of the Genevi block. It's set on the eponymous plane, where resources are scarce and recycling is a major theme. As such, there is focus on the graveyard, using it as a resource and getting stuff from it. Revive and Pitchstone Wall play into this theme of reusing what has been used once. Creatures are small and cheap, and they have ETB or die triggers, such as Elgaud Inquisitor, that encourage you to recycle them rather than keep them around. Bonded Fetch also helps you to filter resources and shape your graveyard. Nix helps against the set's main mechanic, Repurpose:

Advocate of the Pale Sun
Creature - Spirit
Flying; Repurpose (Each nonland permanent you sacrifice as you cast this spell reduces its cost by that permanent's mana cost. Mana cost includes colour.)
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, return to your hand all cards that were put into a graveyard from anywhere this turn. If three or more permanents would be returned this way, you may return those permanents to the battlefield instead.
The Pale Sun, the symbol of House Idero, protected by the spirits of law, justice and honour even in the face of imminent catastrophe.
4/4

The Siege of Genevi
is a large set coming out in Smarch 201π.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
The Siege of Geneviny, the first set of the Genevi block is set in a more traditional fantasy setting, with a dark underlayer.  Apocalyptic events brought hordes of dark creatures and monsters to the gate of the small realm of Genevi, which seems to be untouched by the catastrophes.  Siege is upon Genevi, but war also rage outside the gates, where different groups fights between themselves for survival.

------------

While maintaining the priority regarding competitive play, this block will also focus on the casual multiplayer aspect (maybe even promoting a new multiplayer competitive format!).

The themes for this block is: Interaction.  Interactive cards that promotes a play where every player feels involved at any moment in the game.  Multiplayer.  Will please many of WotC fanbase.

So, for base cards for my themes, I take:

Goatnapper Of course, there will be goats.  When there is a siege, there is hunger.   Also highly interactive.
Nix In multiplayer, chances are higher this being a usefull card.  Alternate costs also being a sub-theme
Blind Creeper  Speaks for itself
Pitchstone Wall Protection from discarding is good in multiplayer.
Cavalry Master Good body, encourage thinking and good blocking, therefore good interaction.

-----

So with this themes, an Argothian Wurm or a Task Mage Assembly kind of card seems on line.  For my promo, I'll give ammos to players for a fun interactive time.

Master Bibliosoph     (rare)
Creature - Human Wizard
  Each player draws a card.  You may draw an additional card.
When you draw a card, any player may discard a card. If a player does, return Master Bibliosoph to its owner's hand.
"I believe the populace is entitled to knowledge. I also believe they prefer ignorance"  - Mef, master bibliosoph.
2/2
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn

Barrier of Conviction 
Creature - Wall
If combat damage would be dealt to Barrier of Conviction, prevent that damage and exile that many cards from the top of your library.  If two or more of those cards share a color, put a 2/2 colorless Homunculus creature token onto the battlefield.
Sometimes it's not the structure itself but the belief in it that keeps one safe.
0/3

Inspiration Cards:
Bonded Fetch
Gloom Surgeon
Nix
Elgaud Inquisitor
Pitchstone Wall

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Show
Revive

Sorcery (U)

Return target green card from your graveyard to your hand.

"Genevi's towers have survived a thousand years of turmoil. While they stand, I stand with them."
–Kilarn the Deathless

Show
Bonded Fetch

Creature – Homunculus (U)
0/2

Defender, haste
: Draw a card, then discard a card.

They scurry over the ruins of the fallen outer wall, taking letters and lockets before their memories are lost in the cannon fire.

Show
Gloom Surgeon

Creature – Spirit (U)
2/1

If combat damage would be dealt to Gloom Surgeon, prevent that damage and exile that many cards from the top of your library.

She labors in a hospice that no longer exists, tending to soldiers that no longer live, under a wall that no longer stands.

Show
Cavalry Master

Creature – Human Knight (U)
3/3

Flanking
Other creatures you control with flanking have an additional instance of flanking.

"Let the hoofbeats of the Real pound your fading lives into oblivion."

Show
Pitchstone Wall

Creature – Wall (U)
2/5

Defender
Martyr a card in hand (Whenever you discard a card, you may sacrifice this permanent to return the discarded card from your graveyard to your hand.)

Every broken spearhead embedded in the wall immortalizes a long-lost victory.

Show
Make Your Stand

Show
Lord of Remembrance

Creature – Spirit Avatar (R)
2/2

Martyr anything (Whenever any number of cards is put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may sacrifice this permanent to return those cards to the zone they were moved from. If a card is put into your library this way, shuffle your library.)

"Genevi will be a city of the forgotten no more."

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

It looks like there's some sort of storm mechanic in the works, or at least some sort of Storm Entity type mechanic. Basically, playing lots of spells is good.
Bonded Fetch: Draw effect, which gives you more spells to play. Also places cards in graveyard.
Revive: Returns cards from your graveyard to cast again.
Pitchstone Wall: Helps keep cards in your hand to cast.
Elvish Spirit Guide: More mana means more spells!
Blind Creeper: Black disapproves of your spell-slinging shenanigans.

Entropy Alchemist
|
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
, Discard a card: Return target card from your graveyard to the top of your library. If that card shares a type with the discarded card, draw a card.

2/2

*Toss expensive spells for cheaper ones you can chain together.
*Bring back something you tossed earlier with Bonded Fetch.
*Pitchstone Wall lets you keep the card you discarded.
Bonded Fetch, Revive, Pitchstone Wall, Elvish Spirit Guide, and Elgaud Inquisitor are the five cards I will be using as my inspiration.

The Siege of Gennevi cares about not only about cards entering the graveyard, but how they end up there.  Whether it be via discard, death&sacrifice, or a willingness to gamble, life and death both hold great importance in the world.

Every death counts and is for a cause, allowing the living to fight on.  Those taking part in struggle must have their energies focused.  Being able to hone in on a singular goal is the key to a victorious outcome, and sometimes this sharpened determination can only be born on the back of a great leader.

Reyu, the Exalted 
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (MR)
Vigilance
Discard a card at random: Put X 1/1 red and white Human creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield, where X is equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost.
Sacrifice those tokens at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only once each turn.
4/3

"Though his ability to lead is second to none, it is his capacity to inspire hope that would surely cause even the sun to follow him to the ends of the world and back." - Anonymous follower
[spoiler Siege of Genevi]

On a red dawn the first of the Nethergates were activated. At first, a trickle of spies and observers came through, quietly dissapearing into shadows and crannies, watching the plane of Genevi and its people. Soon, emissaries and messengers from a power beyond this plane started to greet, negotiate, and bargain with the kingdoms of Genevi. They offered promises of peace to those who wished it, promises of power to those who desired it, and promises of knowledge to those who sought it. But it wasn't until the spires of Melentiil were wreathed in ichor that Genevi knew these promises and past friendships were lies; a mere precursor to annihilation. Thus began the long night of the Siege of Genevi.

Possible Reprints

Bonded Fetch,
Goatnapper,
Gloom Surgeon,
Nix,
Blind Creeper,
Elgaud Inquisitor,
Elvish Spirit Guide,
Pitchstone Wall,
Cavalry Master,
Revive

Flavor connotations

• Siege of Genevi: Implies a siege that may be happening or may have happened. A siege perhaps implying that Genevi is the last place on the plane that is safe from the invaders, and it is a matter of course that the invaders will win. Genevi must hold out against all odds, for the world's history lay in its catacombs.

• Fetches: Homunculus mind pruners

• Elgaud Inquisitor: Cannot be reprint: unique name

• Elvish Spirit Guide / Revive: Cycle of life style flavor for green

• Pitchstone Wall: Up and up wall, perfect for sieges. Unique ability to sacrifice & get back something that's 'pitched'.

• Cavalry Master: Implies a war which fits the theme, but flanking is NOT a versatile ability.

• Blind Creeper: Zombie Beast implies abominations of the dead, perhaps standing in opposition to the Geneviens. Anti-spellcasting card. Not good for basing work.

• Goatnapper: Great if there are goats (or changelings), and if there are goblins that can steal them in the world. Awful otherwise. Most likely awful.

• Nix: For this to be reprinted, it has to be good. For this to be good, you'll want to pay 1 mana to undo a free spell. For this to be a good deal, spells have to be better than cards like Force of Will, since one has to be that desperate to play Nix. Nix probably won't make it.

Cards left

This leads us down a strange well, since the themes they have in common have to do with gaining resources in a new way. We see themes of exile, discard, revival. I see a revisiting of using discard as a cost for abilities. The bad guys beyond the Nethergates use this ability to relentlessly lay siege to Genevi. The Genevians rely on their canny and desperation to see the long night of the Genevian siege through.

My submission is a Genevian elder who sought answers beyond the Nethergates (portals that bring more horrors each day to assail the walls of Genevi) and learned the secrets of the Nether's magic. Only a powerful planeswalker can keep contact with him from this side of the Nethergates, and can use him to wage combat against her foes. The rest of Genevi just know that their prayers for lost loved ones and opportunities past come true if they pray hard enough at the foot of the lost Genevian elder's shrine.

WOTC has come out saying that Mythic Rare cards will no longer be promos, so this card must be rare. Here it is:

Show

Genevian Infiltrator -
Creature - Elf Rogue
Choose three exiled nonland cards you own. Those cards gain Nethercast (You may cast this card from exile by discarding a card that shares a color with it in addition to paying its other costs.).
Some say prayers whispered at the foot of the elder shrine of Eckt are still heard by him beyond the Nethergates.
2/2

[/spoiler]
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Bonded Fetch, Gloom Surgeon, Elguad Inquisitor, Elvish Spirit Guide, Revive

The theme I saw among these cards were exile and the graveyard, so I thought I'd go with a theme that sought to contrast those two.  In The Siege of Genevi, most humanoid beings seek to go to the afterlife upon death (or in some cases, even sooner), represented here by exile.  Their methods of trying to get there vary, but they all want the eternal bliss of the afterlife.  The graveyard, on the other hand, is a nothingness to them, where you, for all intensive purpose, are nothing more than a rotting corpse.  Most people who disturb graves are looked down upon as they are seen as those who do not respect the afterlife.

Normally, it is not easy to simply go to the afterlife.  However, one such woman was born with the extraordinary gift of being able to send a being to visit the afterlife while she prays.  The power is limited, though, in that she can only send one person at a time and she must constantly pray during that time.  Many people across the plane visit her, some who wish to gain wisdom from those who already achieved the afterlife, and others simply want a taste of paradise.  Either way, Elesa is quite talented...

Elesa, Link to the Afterlife
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (R)
You may choose not to untap Elesa during your untap step.
, : Exile target creature.
When Elesa becomes untapped or leaves the battlefield, return all creatures exiled by Elesa to the battlefield.
2/3

I think that something pre-releases and releases should do more often is make the promo closely related to the story.  That's what I did here and I think it helps to tell the peaceful, calm side of the this world quite nicely.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Mono, it's "all intents and purposes". not intensive.

Mono, it's "all intents and purposes". not intensive.

Your purposes are intensive. >_>
I always get those mixed up...
You Make the Card
Mafia History
-The Siege of Genevi-

On the lonley plane of Equilor lies an ancient weapon capable of allowing one to instantly absorbing all the mana of an entire plane. Locked away from the rest of the multiverse, the only way in or out sits atop a mountain, forever sleeping. For the gate to this plane lies inside the mind of the giant Genevi. If he ever awoke the plane would be disturbed and the plane would drift into the rest of the multiverse, allowing any walker to find it. The Siege of Genevi tells the story of world threatening battle in the plane of the mind of Genevi, as walkers attempt to enter and protect the gate, stiring up bizzare forces deep within dream and nightmare.

Equilor is a plane that already exists in canon, and fits perfectly as a plane where one would hide a weapon that they don't want anyone to find, as well as already being pretty far away from the multiverse, meaning the amount of energy to push it away completely would be minimal.

Bonded Fetch

Gloom Surgeon

Elvish Spirit Guide

Nix

Revive

This is a world where thought becomes reality, so the library hand and casting things from anywhere but your hand are very important. Exile will likely be the main theme, but will not become a second graveyard. I know a lot of people are against that. Instead exile is used to remind you that cards are doing something, or will effect the way things are played or the effects they have.  Evoke and delve make a comeback. Some pitch cards will appear since exile is a major theme and because mana isn't as important in someone's mind. New keywords are contemplate [cost] (As long as this is exiled you may cast it for [cost]) and Dream - whenever this card is exiled do something.

Dream Feaster
Creature - Nightmare Horror
Delve
~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of exiled cards.
Mistakes needn't haunt you forever.
Though you have regret, you can't just forget,
You alone decide your fate.
*/*

Dream Keeper
Creature - Jellyfish Wizard
R
Players may cast exiled cards they own.
: Exile target spell
1/1

Humanoid jellyfish patrol the dream world protecting it from stuff.
no looking
fetch, surgeon, revive, nix, spirit guide. set takes place in someone's head, library matters theme

Da fuq you stealing my Febb Set theme for?!
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

THE SEIGE OF GENEVI

About the set

Seige of Genevi is the eponymous name of the set about Genevi, a plane inhabitated by the 'Aangeval' that is undergoing psychic attack through a portal on the plane by an alien race, called the 'Sapiunt', intent on taking over Genevi for thier new homeland. Seige of Genevi is first of three sets in a block that ends with a climatic battle of minds in the third set of the block between the two sides. Blue will be the enemy of this set, being the primary colour of the 'Sapiunt'. The 'Aangeval' will be all colours, but blue mana is deemed second-class and rarely used.

Therefore my theme: Psychic warfare (including additional and alternate costs and effects, your library as a resource of the mind, drawing and discarding as gaining and losing knowledge)

My cards:
Bonded Fetch

Bonded Fetch |

Creature — Homunculus (Uncommon)

Defender, haste

Draw a card, then discard a card.

With going mad being so common-place on Genevi, having a well-made homunculus as a servant isn't a nicety - it's a necessity.

0/2

Gloom Surgeon

Gloom Surgeon |

Creature — Spirit

If combat damage would be dealt to ~, prevent that damage and exile that many cards from the top of your library.

They say those who think they can cure the mad, must be mad themselves. They're probably right.

2/1

Nix

Nix |

Instant

Counter target spell if no mana was spent to cast it.

"With shoddy spell work and such small incomplete minds, the Aangeval do not deserve Genevi. So we will take it from them..."

—Yillmak, Sapiunt Wizard

Elvish Spirit Guide

Elvish Spirit Guide |
Creature — Elf Spirit

Exile ~ from your hand: Add to your mana pool.

Every mind leaves a legacy.

2/2

Revive

Revive |

Sorcery

Memory is a precious commodity on Genevi.

My Prelease/Release Promo card

Gabriel, Keeper of Sanity |

Legendary Creature - Angel (Mythic Rare)

Flying, Hexproof

When ~ enters the battlefield, exile your hand face down. You may look at cards exiled this way at any time and may play them as if they were in your hand. If you would draw a card or any card would be put into your hand, instead exile it face down.

When ~ leaves the battlefield, return all cards exiled this way to your hand.

Mental isolation is a dangerous place so keep your friends close, and your imaginary friends even closer...

4/5

The idea is that she isolates your mind from any attack (discarding, revealing and such like) and gives a flavour of the kind of cards that would appear in Seige of Genevi.

I hope you like the card/set idea.

Cheers, vlord.
I suppose I'll give this a shot. I don't expect to do very well, though (there's a reason I've avoided the Idol series for the past 3 or 4 years).

Reference from OP
Bonded FetchGoatnapper, Gloom Surgeon, NixBlind Creeper, Elgaud InquisitorElvish Spirit Guide, Pitchstone Wall, Cavalry Master, Revive

In summary:

- make a prelease/release promo card
- that means it should be rare or mythic
- and should highlight some of the set themes (whatever you decide those are)
- it doesn't need to be a creature; however, creatures are chosen as promos for a reason
- list the 5 cards you're using as your basis

Cards chosen to be reprints in the set The Siege of Genevi
Cavalry Master--Because Flanking sounds like a good stategy to use when under siege by an otherwise unknown aggressor, or even to use when doing a siege.
Bonded Fetch--Cause looting is awesome, especially when on a defender that has haste (not real reason; I refuse to post the real reason).
Blind Creeper--Sounds like something that would lay siege to a people? Also plays in to Flanking a little bit.
Pitchstone Wall--Works well with Bonded Fetch's ability and suggests a Defender theme to the set.
Revive--We have two other reprints that deal with discard, so this can fit in loosely to whatever discard theme there might be. Elvish Spirit Guide--(By process of elimination in my nutty head.) And also I'm just a nut who can't stand being given ten cards to choose from, 2 of each color, and choosing five cards which don't each fall into one of those colors.

Set Themes and Soliloqual Discussion
Well, obviously there's a siege going on in this set. And a siege usually involves an army or two (two if the defenders are going to have a chance, one if you want the siege to be a massacre). White and black will obviously be on opposite sides of this conflict, but I don't feel like making this just a two-sided issue. I hate the whole "good vs bad" formula that stories run; there are five color philosophies, so there should be five sides to this story, at the least. And each of them should have a stance that players can get behind, flavorfully (each color sees its enemy colors as the antagonists and its allies try to help out a little). That would be the ideal situation, anyways, but it probably won't happen that way.

Anyways, going by the reprints, there's definitely going to be a theme with Defenders. Which makes sense; in any siege, there's gonna be walls to knock down. But there also appears to be a discard theme at work here, too, or at least a graveyard theme. Perhaps demons or undead are using the dead to fuel their conquest against the living? This sounds a bit much like Innistrad, so I'd prefer not to think of the set as that. Undead are involved, though, since the Blind Creeper itself is a Zombie Beast. And apaprently teh raw energies involved in casting spells is enough to hurt it; the undead are extremely weak to magic/mana on this plane? Maybe.

Let's focus on the factions a little bit (I can't work linearly, I get bored with one idea so having multiple ideas helps me stay on track): White will definitely be facing off against black (they're enemy colors, what did you expect?) But I don't think White will be working by itself, nor black. In fact, I think white and red should be working together. But then that means that this faction needs to face off against another two color faction. And to keep things simple, let's use only enemy colored pairs. Luckily, I know of a Color Wheel in the YMtC archives which did a pretty snazzy job of mapping out how multicolored pairs, triplets, whatever line up as far as allied philosophies and enemy philosophies. And according to it, out of the five enemy pairings, is opposed to and . Wait, white and black working together? Uh oh. I seem to have made a mistake in my plans. Or have I? Are these undead perhaps born of religious zealots who refuse to succumb to the self-righteous bigotry of the Genevi? Or are these zealots the Genevi and they are under siege by the self-righteous bigots? Hmm...too much to think about right now...let's move on to some other factions.

being paired actually makes sense seeing how Bonded Fetch and Pitchstone Wall work so well together. And they're pitted against and . We know about the already, but what about the ? Bonded Fetch kinda works with Revive too, if you discard a green card. Mayhaps the are master wall builders and some of them defected to ? Taking with them the secrets on how to dismantle or even get around walls? This would be an interesting concept to me, as that would mean that Bonded Fetch could live in both enemy colored philosophies. Afterall, it is a Homunculus, and most Homunculi are made to serve as indentured servants...

We still haven't visited the pair yet. They are opposed to the and . Which would make sense (in my opinion) in regards to the if they are indeed raising the dead. could be the faction which believes the cycle of life and death should be left alone. Or at least, not altered artificially. The faction of recycling death into new life. No reanimation in this faction. Okay, first faction to be concretely identified I believe. This is kind of like Sudoku: Can you find out where each faction stands based on what you know about the others?

has also been identified as wall builders, using blue's intellect curbed to masonry and red's mastery over earth/stone as building material. Which makes some sense, cause they're like wall builders who would prefer the natural walls provided by mountain sides and the stone you can find everywhere. Which explains why they're allied to the faction, who are also advocates of the natural order. But why are they allied to , who appear to be advocates of artificial relife? Perhaps simply because the need walls for protection against the . Then we have the allied to the . Why would that be? Well, hates ...perhaps also dabbles in unnatural magicks...perhaps unnatural walls? Better yet, using non-Wall creatures as walls. Which would be why the wall builders don't like them either. And then we're back at , who will naturally (oh, hey, and they're allied with !) be the warmongers (cause everybody knows is the pairing for the "art of war" type people). Possibly THE only color pairing that will make sense (I imagine this will make for an interesting read to any who actually read it) out of what I've stated as my justifications for these set qualities.

Now, being the nut that I am, I can't just leave these as they are. Each of the reprints belongs with one of these groups. Obviously the Cavalry Master goes with , And the Bonded Fetch now fully fits in with , Blind Creeper goes with , and Pitchstone Wall goes with . But here's the snag: Revive does not fit with the motif that I have set for . I know others might say "sure it does!" But I set forth that gets no reanimation in this set. I consider Revive to be a sort of reanimation. Which would put it in with if anybody, since they're allied with the reanimation faction. But that doesn't sit well with me. So...I'm gonna change my green reprint card on a whim (probably a bad idea) to Elvish Spirit Guide. Which, admittedly stretching thin with this, could be considered a natural process of life and death if you think of the exile from the hand (for mana) as the spirit guide giving up her life and encouraging a faster natural decomposition of her body (exiling dead tissue) to provide nourishment for new life. Long stretch, but I think I can make it work.

So, the main focus of this set will be the fighting the with the help of their allies. If we end up sticking with this theme throughout the contest, I can tell you right now that the faction will be making non-Wall creatures with defender that generally help white, and the faction will be making Wall creatures with defender (and maybe a few without, gasp!) that generally help black. If I were the set designer for this kind of project, with what I've set up so far, I would want players who build ally colored decks to be showing two allied enemy pairs working together. Ultimately. And it would also make some sense for some of the enemy colored decks to show how those two colors work together even if they're from opposing factions (such as the Bonded Fetch-Pitchstone Wall interaction). So yeah, anyways, the prerelease/release card(s) will be either or both from the and/or faction. I still haven't decided which one I want to be representative of the Genevi. Perhaps this "Siege of Genevi" isn't necessarily saying a certain people are getting attacked, but instead stating that there is a siege going on upon this plane?

More indepth themes for each faction
--Flanking will be common among this faction, as will the creature types Knight and Soldier. Haste may see some play in this faction as well, to help with justification on why would get blue creatures with haste (allied factions should help each other, right?). Will have a small grouping of spells that fight Wall creatures, flavorfully as intel given from the faction (who perhaps choose to use non-Walls as defenders due to their knowledge of the weaknesses in Walls). From the alliance with , this faction will get some graveyard removal (exiling from the graveyard; wouldn't be very many cards, and would be minimal impact on gameplay as compared to ).

--This faction will focus mainly on non-Wall creatures with defender. From the alliance with , this faction will have access to reanimation of the sort that cards like Revive would grant, mayhaps even graveyard shuffling. Unsure of right now what this faction benefits from by allying itself with the faction. Probably just out-of-color haste, mostly on defender creatures with activated tap abilities.

--This faction will focus heavily on reanimation. Zombies and Clerics will populate the creature type focus in this faction, with most Zombies having inherent weaknesses to the casting of spells while being fairly large-bodied and Clerics doing most of the reanimation work (activated abilities that reanimate in very small bursts, most likely) and helping to make sure that the Zombies aren't falling apart (almost literally) too bad from all the spell casting going on. Since this faction is allied to both of the Defender factions, it will receive both unblockability and vigilance as alliance perks. Unblockability will most likely be granted through Intimidate.

--If you haven't guessed by now, this faction will have a lot of Wall creatures in it, and I would plan for at least one of those Walls to have Flanking (perhaps flavorfully presented as a wall that has spotters looking in all directions). From interactions, this faction will see some small amounts of animation (not reanimation), perhaps with walking walls, or wall tokens. 's influence may allow this faction to see some advanced geomancy.

--This faction will focus mainly on token generating by exiling cards from graveyards or otherwise encouraging a faster rate of the life cycle (sacrifice effects and/or discard). From the alliance with , this faction will gain access to Defender hate, in particular non-Wall Defender hate. The alliance with ...I guess this faction would get some nifty combat tricks. Why not? Warmongers know plenty of combat tricks, might as well point some out that their friends can do too. "Would it be possible to make that body decompose so fast that it literally explodes?" "Why...I don't know, let's try it...well, it didn't explode, but by jove it may have given us a natural way of weakening the enemy!"

Prerelease/Release card
Master Flesh Healer
Creature-Human Cleric (Rare)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield from your graveyard, creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain intimidate until end of turn.
"You may not look pretty, but at least you won't bleed to death before you do your part."
2/2

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Obviously still in progress.

Bonded Fetch
Watermark: Genevian
Creature-Homunculus
Defender, Haste
Draw a card, then discard a card.
"De Cince had lots of good ideas. We just have to use them to sort through his bad ones."
- Meccini, Prince of the Cogs
0/2

Nix
Instant
Counter target spell if no mana was spent to cast it.
"Your idea is worthless."

Pitchstone Wall
Creature-Wall
Defender
Whenever you discard a card, you may sacrifice Pitchstone Wall. If you do, return the discarded card from your graveyard to your hand.
Genevi is defended by more than the mind.
2/5

Blind Creeper
Watermark: Phyrexian
Creature-Zombie Beast
Whenever a player casts a spell, Blind Creeper gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
Clawing against the light it shunned.
3/3

Revive
Watermark: Phyrexian
Sorcery

"We will snap their minds with the thoughts they dismissed."
~Nasah, Priest of the Clex

[Genevi sounds Italian to me, so with that in mind I'm making it a gigantic artificial Plane based on Da Vinci's ideas and Renaissance architecture in general. It's being invaded by Phyrexians who've become divorced from their Praetors and intent purely on raw compleation, so the whole block is themed around cards that try and deplete your resources versus cards that make the most of your resources being depleted. I'll write some background, you'll see where I'm going.]

Creature-
Flying
Discard a card: [Mr Dragon] gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Ability- Whenever you discard a card, you may exile a card in your graveyard. If you do, [something exciting]
"There is no shortcut to work done true and well. The Creators learned this to their sorrow, the first time they made the world."
-Githri the Prisoner

Genevi is a world that knows its Creators. Through their toil, they shaped the world from mana and from firmament, changing it from raw substance into a gleaming jewel amidst the Multiverse. The people of this world have long since become masters of change, becoming like the Creators in their own right. Few of them knew, however, that their gleaming jewel was shrouded by the remaining dross of the Creator's first attempt at shaping a world, Ombari. Most of them would have remained ignorant, except that one mortal thought himself above the Creators, and sought to get something from nothing. The resulting cataclysm ignited his spark, and shattered the fragile barrier that seperated Genevi from its predecessor. Now the twisted inhabitants of Ombari lay seige on Genevi, punishment for their hubris and vengeance against the Creators.

Mechanically, Genevi cares about change and exchange. Spellshapers mold spells anew, transmuters seek to transfigure nature, and all of it has a price. On a minor level, they care about both casting spells, and discarding cards to be repurposed. As well, they care about defenders, seeking to delay the oncoming Ombarian blight. Ombari, on the other hand, cares about getting something for nothing. They generally eschew mana, and exploit thought and memory to come into being or gain power.

Blind Creeper
Bonded Fetch
Gloom Surgeon
Nix
Pitchstone Wall

Molvino Wardmaster
IMAGE(http://www.majhost.com/gallery/elzaban/DnD/molvinowardmaster.jpg)

Molvino Wardmaster ()
Creature - Human Spellshaper R
, Discard a card: You may cast a copy of one of Molvino Wardmaster's spells:
///
Guard Glyphs
Creature - Wall 0/3
Defender, protection from no mana cost
///
Keep Pure
Instant
Counter target spell that targets a creature.
///
2/4
My theme for The Siege of Genevi is all about ramping mana and casting as many spells in a single turn as possible, all to culminate in a single card at the end.  I suppose it is due to my love of the Vintage and Legacy formats, that I always see decks go off and make their move in a single turn, where as just before, it almost seemed like the deck was doing nothing at all.  The strategy required to pull it off, not to mention the calculating odds and sometimes a good bit of bluffing and creative play make themes like this so much fun for me.  Not so much in alternate costs, but in using outside influences to the cards to change their costs, much like Affinity.  The cards I chose are:

Blind Creeper, Bonded Fetch, Elvish Spirit Guide, Nix, and Revive

Reasons:

Blind Creeper
A great and early attack, he is easily nullified (even more so then before) by the set's themes.  Still, not to be discounted, he can go off nice and early and give you a wide birth of distance in damage to drop the morale of your opponent.
Bonded Fetch
While ramping and casting, players often use cantrips, but this guy is here to assist if you didn't cantrip into the card you needed, he gives you another chance.  Building the right hand is essential to "going off" for many decks.
Elvish Spirit Guide
Sometimes you need that extra push when the chips are down, or if you're designed to go off just a turn ahead.  ESG is there to back you up and sacrifices itself for the greater good.
Nix
With every Yin, there is a Yang.  It'll hurt the most when you ramp up into a great combo with your Manaweave, just to be hit with a single Nix that foils your plans.
Revive
Already spent that card you need?  Didn't go off like you hoped?  Revive is there to give you a second chance, and if you do it right, maybe a third shot as well.

Mechanics:

Lastly, I'd like to bring all of the cards together into a single mechanic.  Sets are driven by their mechanics, and how well the other cards can support it.  I have very much been against some of the latest mechanics, complaining that they are parasitic.  Not on the scale of Kamigawa's arcane and spirits, but close enough.  My mechanic is one that can be used by almost any set to gain an advantage, but optimized in The Siege of Genevi.

Likewise, I never felt connected to ability words, since they are purely for looks, and barely hold a theme together in my eyes.  But each set needs an identity, and mechanics have been there to showcase that identity for quite some time.  This seems almost wrong to me, since the design almost falls to the wayside to promote a very slim and meaningless theme.

With a theme such as mana ramp and spell count ramp, I had to come up with another way to showcase Storm.  While I couldn't use Storm again without reprinting too many cards (though it is a subtheme for The Siege of Genevi), I did want to use the concept of playing several cards per turn and have a mechanic that played off of that.  Card draw per spell played would have been insane, not to mention so far out of the color pie if I wanted it in every color that I'd be laughed right out of YMtC.  So, I decided to go with a mana cost augmentation that would play off of the spells already cast.  In the end, after a lot of changing up of the core mechanics, I came up with:

Manaweave (This spell's mana cost is reduced by for each spell cast before it this turn.)

Wording based off of the Storm mechanic in some ways, Manaweave takes the multitudes of spells being thrown around, and grants some (hopefully) interesting decisions to be made.  While it is usually helpful to you to ramp your mana and spells to gain the best benefit of Manaweave, it is also possible for your opponents to capitalize on your hard work and cast their own spells with Manaweave as well.  So, do you hold back or go all in?  Even if your opponent is tapped out, they might have a way to cast a new spell if you provide them with enough spells first.

And yes, I know that the term "mana" is constantly refered to in M:tG, but that it is also rarely seen on card titles or mechanics to keep it from being overly done.  I somehow felt that the stream of mana flowing around the battlefield at the time of the casting was appropriate enough to make the name include "mana."  Oh well, maybe that's just me.

The Preview Card:

As stated before, I hate having spells and mechanics that are only viable in their own block, things that are overly parasitic tend to fall very short in the player's minds very quickly after the set is completed.  So, I went with a design that not only showcased the set's theme mechanic, but also brought the set outwards into the rest of the world of Magic.

Djinn of Pleas -
Creature - Djinn - R
Manaweave (This spell's mana cost is reduced by for each spell cast before it this turn.)
Flying
, : Cards in your hand have Manaweave until end of turn.
"Some say the tides of war are driven by a single wish made in a moment of despair, giving shape to a creature of pure arcane energy." ~Genevi Archivist
3/5

Hope to see you at the prerelease of The Siege of Genevi!

..... yeah, that was rambling.  Oh well, first post took quite a while, sorry if that was a bit much on a random thought process.  Every time I wrote a new part, I had to change the final card because I realized the set wasn't coming together for me.  Well, yeah, stuff.

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Oh hey it's squinty. And turnip.