05/09/2012 BoaB: "Burning a New Standard Metagame"

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Mono red and not a single mention of Vexing Devil and Stormblood berserker.

Also, where do you suggest lists?
Perilous Myr is a great two-mana creature. It functions as a creature that provides repeated damage, but it can also do some extra damage to your opponent when the 2/2 body dies.

Just wanted to point out an error in the article. Perilous Myr is a 1/1, not a 2/2.

Thanks.

Without Gut Shot or Goblin Fireslinger, there isn't a reliable way to turn on Bloodthirst for the breserker. Though I suppose he could still be tested as an alternative to Myr.

Vexing Devil is going for $15 on Starcity, and was likely deemed over budget. Poor JVL, damned when he suggests money rares, damned when he doesn't.
Interesting deck, but I'm not really sure what the role of Perilous Myr in the deck is. You dont have that many sac effects and your deck is the aggressive one, so most of the time they're probably gonna let the Myr through.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Weird how we got a poll on which deck we'd get this week last week, and then there's hardly a mention this week. I understand that Jacob might have had an idea he liked and wanted out there, but I do expect that deck next week.

Also, it feels a little silly that we're getting this deck in the week of a Block Constructed Pro Tour.

Otherwise, nice deck, nice article.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Warning, Terminus isn't actually sorcery speed removal.  Don't let the card type fool you.
Not sure I agree with the Myr and Phoenix, but other than that, an interesting deck

Without Gut Shot or Goblin Fireslinger, there isn't a reliable way to turn on Bloodthirst for the breserker. Though I suppose he could still be tested as an alternative to Myr.

Vexing Devil is going for $15 on Starcity, and was likely deemed over budget. Poor JVL, damned when he suggests money rares, damned when he doesn't.

I won't give JVL flack for not including Vexing Devil at all, I have no idea why this guy seems to think JVL should include a 15+ dollar rare in his article......

That said this deck is kinda meh but at least he didn't put any stupid overpriced cards or dumb mistakes in this article. There also was some at least mention if not playtesting of the metagame and how this deck may fare. I'd prefer actually playtesting the deck to just sideboard mentioning, but still it's better than nothing.

Now let's see if he's consistent and keep sit up (I'm not holding my breath)

But props for Zealous conscripts - I overlooked that card and didn't realize it said "target PERMANENT". It's a junk rare so I may grab a playset and use it in a silly deck one day.

Just wanted to say, I like this deck idea.  Interesting analysis of Zealous Conscripts!
Cheapest prices from bidwicket.com, assuming $5 shipping and free basic lands:

Estimated total cost: 58.8
3 Archwing Dragon: 3 @ 0.6; total 1.8
4 Chandra's Phoenix: 4 @ 4.49; total 17.96
3 Perilous Myr: 3 @ 0.04; total 0.12
4 Porcelain Legionnaire: 4 @ 0.03; total 0.12
4 Stromkirk Noble: 4 @ 2.95; total 11.8
4 Zealous Conscripts: 4 @ 1.8; total 7.2
3 Brimstone Volley: 3 @ 0.1; total 0.3
4 Geistflame: 4 @ 0.03; total 0.12
4 Incinerate: 4 @ 0.2; total 0.8
4 Pillar of Flame: 4 @ 0.05; total 0.2
4 Shrine of Burning Rage: 4 @ 1.65; total 6.6
4 Manic Vandal: 4 @ 0.02; total 0.08
2 Arc Trail: 2 @ 0.75; total 1.5
4 Angel's Tomb: 4 @ 0.05; total 0.2

I won't give JVL flack for not including Vexing Devil at all, I have no idea why this guy seems to think JVL should include a 15+ dollar rare in his article......

That said this deck is kinda meh but at least he didn't put any stupid overpriced cards or dumb mistakes in this article. There also was some at least mention if not playtesting of the metagame and how this deck may fare. I'd prefer actually playtesting the deck to just sideboard mentioning, but still it's better than nothing.

But props for Zealous conscripts - I overlooked that card and didn't realize it said "target PERMANENT". It's a junk rare so I may grab a playset and use it in a silly deck one day.

I didn´t say that he should run them, far from it. I just wanted to know his thoughts on them and if you should include them when you have a a more open budget or not
Honestly this feels like it wants to be a R/W deck.  I dont think the R/W dual lands are that expensive now, maybe $5 each.  and dual lands are hardly ever a bad investment.  Really like the dragon/tomb combo, as it works really well and dodges board sweepers, so it begs the question.. where are our board sweepers?  Also, the early game seems *really* important now, so why not use the 1-2 drops from white which are typically much better than red (at least in this block)
Running slagstorm might be pretty cool, we dodge it with most of the guys (killing a myr also isnt that bad) and it can also go to the face to get our phoenixes back.

I am surprised not a single mention of Chandra the Firebrand though. We play phoenix. We play burn. Might be nice?
Weird how we got a poll on which deck we'd get this week last week, and then there's hardly a mention this week. I understand that Jacob might have had an idea he liked and wanted out there, but I do expect that deck next week.

You seem to be confused.  The poll was two weeks ago, and the followup article about the deck that won the poll was last week.
I don't see how you can 0 copies of Galvanic Blast.  Shouldn't 11 artifacts maindeck be any incentive?

You seem to be confused.  The poll was two weeks ago, and the followup article about the deck that won the poll was last week.

I appear to have missed Jacob's article last week. Thank you.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Mono red and not a single mention of Vexing Devil

Vexing Devil has no place in standard. It basically reads, "deal 4 damage to target player unless he has removal." Honestly, for 1 more, you get Thunderbolt, a card that ironically gives you more of a choice. You only get to hit for 3, true, but now you can even deal with fliers! All at basically 1% the price. Call now.

where do you suggest lists?

I'm sure if you send him a list he likes, he may be inspired by it for an article. You can send him an e-mail at the bottom of the article.

Interesting deck, but I'm not really sure what the role of Perilous Myr in the deck is. You dont have that many sac effects and your deck is the aggressive one, so most of the time they're probably gonna let the Myr through.

I agree; I mean, I love PMyr, don't get me wrong, but then again I run Pods which like dying triggers and also Glissas which like artifacts, especially ones that cause dying.

I know, right? I'm so proud of him for getting it together this week. I'm the cheapest penny-pinching stalwart at locals, and yet this deck is giving even me a run for my money. Even overpriced, packed with new cards, a SB, shipping, directly from a store all in one lump sum, it rivals my cheap brew. Well done, Jacob.

I agree completely. I was happy that with where this is at budget-wise, and I hope he keeps it up. I don't think it's a great deck; too much at the 3 slot. I don't mind a clotted two-slot, as you can double-drop on turn 4, but turn 3 is tough. But, as I've posted before, I would prefer a mediocre budget deck than a wallet-breaking tier-1 deck, at least for this column. Good job, JVL.

The format is flooded with mass removal. They may let the Myr through, allowing you to ping their life total for one here and there. When they fire the reset, it smacks them for 2. If you have better cards, this is a slot to replace.

I think this deck is fairly reasonable. Strangest thing is, the Phoenix is something I think could be improved, and its the most expensive card. 
MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred: Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature. Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself? Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill. Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it. Him: You can't do that. Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.
Just took this to FNM going 3-1, losing to G/W Angel Ramp.

I swapped out Perilous Myr for Vexxing Devil, and I did not have a Zealous Conscript in the sideboard because I only have three. Vexxing actually synergizes well with the deck, if durns, is a creature to trigger the tomb and triggers a morbid Brimstone Volley.

G/W Hexproof was something there isn't an answer to in this deck. I think there needs to be a change to the sideboard, because their angels stop angel's tomb dead and we have a hard time removing them. I am leaning towards taking out one Arc Trail, one BV and one Zealous Conscripts (as mentioned I am short it) and running three Blasphemous Acts. I don't want to run this card, but Sigarda has been popular lately and Angel's have been seeing more and more play. And then with Entreat the Angels (bigger than Slagstorm) and the human tribe, we need a sweeper somewhere. I am hoping someone has a better solution though.