I posted this question to twitter yesterday,,,

79 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you don't follow me (@mtgonline) or didn't notice, I am collecting all the answers on twitter so please try to reply on twitter rather than here for me if you can .

This: As customers, pick one thing you want that we (WotC, MTGO, myself, whatever you decide) aren't delivering or could do better. Please RT!

followed by: If I wasn't clear, sorry. I mean company wide. You're welcome to pick something digital, but I wanna know if you have suggestions elsewhere!
I want a coherent communication policy that doesn't require me to join random social media.
I don't have twitter so here will have to do:

I want a much better interface over what the current (and beta) client offers for MTGO.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
I want a coherent communication policy that doesn't require me to join random social media.

+1
At least use your companies own random social media (these forums).
Edit: I mean this to the digiatal games people. The main mtg website shows that at least part of the company knows how to comunicate.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Leagues!
I will pick something that you have taken a huge step towards remedying in the past  few weeks:

Diversity of formats to play

Honestly, standard and current block draft start to get really stale after about 5 or 6 weeks, yet that's all there is typically going to be  for the next several weeks.

This combination of Cube/ Old draft format for a week has been so much fun.  I've played more MTGO this week than I have in a really long time.  I hope that this gets permanently implemented as something for down times on MTGO.
I want the prereleases of new sets to be a week after the prerelease irl and for releases to be on the wed after.  Also see redemption for new sets up way sooner than 30-45 days after a set is released on modo whichever random number wotc chooses
I don't do twitter.   Maybe get a real communication policy that says the same thing everywhere and is capable of handling feedback?  Maybe hire a full-time person for this position too?

Paper -- I think the best move you could make is recognize that it is not very smart to issue normal rares as special prelease cards when mythic rares exist.   Normal rares are the new 'uncommons' since you guys exploded seconadary market value with mythics.  I do not want a normal rare pre-release card.

Summation -- issue mythic rares as your pre-release foils.  They don't have to be tournament quality mythics, but they should be the highest rarity possible.

Digital -- Make certain that when you convert from the current version of the program (v.3) to the better version in the works, that all of my digital deck files are compatible and saved.  I quit for months when v3.0 came out, and a big part of that was I had like 1000 deck files that MTGO no longer could read as decks.

Also, your redemption uptime is abyssmal.  You should keep redemptions in the store until you run out of *whatever* rather than pull them ASAP on a set date.   Additionally, you should at least double the print orders for new sets since you constantly run out and have nothing available for months for standard sets.  That is terrible.

I sent my answer via Twitter, but I'll answer here as well -- mostly so I can expound on my thought.   Get a cup of coffee, this will be long.

We deserve better, actual, honest communication.  So much of the time, what passes for communication at WotC is more marketing and double-speak such that the important flow of real communication is lost.

The Helvault issue is just a really good, recent example.  Months and weeks were spent by WotC folks promising this was going to be something special.  Really special.  No, more than that special -- to the point where stores were asking premium prices for seats at this limited, once-in-a-lifetime event, that we will never forget.  And the hype was such that many folks bought in.

Then, once the event was held -- and I'm serious -- there were audible groans when the Helvault was opened.  Dice, tokens and oversized cards in bulk.  Really?  For all the buildup ... did anyone actually do some market research to see what would get the masses at a pre-release excited?

Wait, it gets better.

It turns out that there were premium Helvaults distributed randomly.  Well, not randomly.  Only the larger stores got these special Helvaults.  And boy, were they special.  With some Helvaults, the contents contained $100 Judge promos, and in all of them, they contained foil versions of the same contents that the rest of the folks attending the pre-releases got.  However, since those contents were limited -- the value of those cards was literally 100 times more than the regular versions.

So, you have a situation where 1% of the customer base is really well compensated for attending the event -- and the 99% of the rest of the customer base is just pretty much taken for granted.  Does that sound like a mirror to the social zeitgeist regarding income inequality, not just in the US, but around the world?

Who spoke for the players, who spoke for the 99% in the planning meetings for the Helvault promotion?  Please tell me SOMEONE thought this through and at least spoke to the issues.  Anyone?

As many times has the people from WotC speak about not breaking the faith of the community, who spoke for the game's own Judges when the supposedly Judge-only foils were put into those Helvaults?

It's things like this that make me wonder.  This whole issue seems to be one where someone in Marketing not only drove the bus, but they drove it through the wall, into the orphanage, across the cemetery and crashed it in the hospital emergency room -- and everyone else just sat back and watched it.

Wait, it gets even better.

We know WotC occasionally listens.  We even got an article about the issues on the main page of the Mothership (the Magic home page).  However, in the article, there was more double speak, toe tapping, and back stepping than anything else.  Heck, no one involved even had the accountability to put their name to it.

There was a very dark time in the game of Magic where it very much seemed like the powers that be were out of touch with the community and the players who make the game what it is.  Somewhere in the time between Chronicles and Fallen Empires where the game was honestly about to go belly up in my opinion.  In those days, people referred to Magic as a game made by people that cared, but managed by people that didn't.  Money, sales, marketing came first.  What we, as a player base thought didn't matter -- what marketing thought would sell did.

It took the closing of a lot of stores, and a lot of people leaving for the folks at WotC to make the game what it is today.  Not everyone loves all the decisions that were made in those dark times, the Reserved List being one, but the game was put in a bad place where tough decisions had to be made because the managers valued marketing over communication.

Those who fail to remember the past, are doomed to repeat it.  Magic has grown so much, so fast in the last couple of years -- very much like the first couple of years when the game first came out.  Over time, the management, the 'Powers that Be' seem to think they know better than the community -- and they start to make decisions based on marketing, and promotion more than actually investing the time to communicate with the people who love to play the game.

How many times have we heard the folks at WotC say that they're players, and they love the game too?  Well, how many of you all learned the game in the little mom-and-pop stores that sell comics, and table games?  Guess how many of those stores got the special Helvaults?  None.  At the bigger stores where those premium Helvaults were opened, it was a big deal -- but it was a big deal that those folks are used to having.  The smaller stores never even had a chance -- and no one at WotC even thought that would be a big deal.  Really?  When a larger store gains or loses a couple of players, it's not a big deal.  But when a smaller store struggles to get eight players each week for FNM, and one or two of them find out that WotC really supports the larger stores with better prize support week after week -- and especially at new product events -- who can blame them for leaving the smaller store?  And that starts a death spiral for that smaller mom-and-pop store.

Seriously, on so many levels, what was WotC thinking?

These things happen when there's no real communication.  Seriously.  When the time comes, there seems to be some sort of group think at WotC that says, "We're smarter than you, we'll show you" and some of the smartest people I know turn into a mirror image of the Enron board.

Please, quit talking AT us with Marketing drivel, and talk TO us.  Before there's another event like the Helvault, get some outside opinions.  Ask the folks who run the smaller stores, and play in places that don't always get all your attention what they care about.

I'm sorry to be so long-winded, but it's because I care.  Not about getting the shiny cards myself -- but in how unfair the whole process was.  And how so many people I thought cared about the group, really only seem to care about the numbers sometimes.  So many times, the WotC folks keep saying that the numbers show that Magic is better and healthier than ever, and that justifies their decisions.  A lot of times, I know that's true -- but sometimes, it helps to have another voice in the room -- the voice of the player.  Right now, we don't have that.  What we do have is a lot of people making decisions from spreadsheets and marketing strategy tables.

I just hope that someone up there cares enough to stop the Marketing bus, and maybe even finds a way to actually communicate in a meaningful way before we wind up with another Chronicles II situation with the game we all love.

There were more than 1,000 words in the official follow-up article regarding the Helvault promotion, and how WotC would look at the situation going forward.  But the word 'sorry' was never used.  That says a lot to me.

Later,

Don!

A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
Well, I definitely can't compete with Don's post, so I guess I'll go super simple:

I want the MTGO team to go get a whiteboard, write "How are we making this game better for our customers?" on it, and make sure to write down the answer to that question every time a change is made.
I'm going to go even more simple: weekly Q&A, every week.
If you don't follow me (@mtgonline) or didn't notice, I am collecting all the answers on twitter so please try to reply on twitter rather than here for me if you can .

This: As customers, pick one thing you want that we (WotC, MTGO, myself, whatever you decide) aren't delivering or could do better. Please RT!

followed by: If I wasn't clear, sorry. I mean company wide. You're welcome to pick something digital, but I wanna know if you have suggestions elsewhere!

Reply on twitter? Seriously? I don't have to explain why this raises my eyebrows do I?
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Like the others say, right here and nowhere else.

WotC_Official profiles that communicate, no Bubbas, Iths or Zamms.
- This is, honestly, a grotesque advantage. Noah Weil on scouting, an attorney from Seattle with 20 Pro Tour appearances.
/breaks out stick

/walks up to dead horse

commences to beat the dead horse.

*Leagues Please*
Finding information is an absolute mess.  Some stuff is here, some stuff is on the mtgo blog, some stuff is on twitter, etc, etc, etc.  Sadly I'm not going to spend all of my online time scouring a dozen different sources of information to try and find what I need.  I don't care how many sources you put stuff on, so long as you have one place with it all.  That doesn't even close to exist now.  It blows my mind that you guys can consistently be this bad at something.  You're sucessful not becasue of your social media presense, but inspite of it.  That should tell you something.  

There's very little follow up too.  Last year mtg paper got the graveborn premium deck series.  Chris came on here and said that we would be getting that product this year.  We're approaching the half way point of this year and I haven't seen anything more about this.  I realize that being an online player makes me a second class citizen in your eyes, but a bit of info would be nice.  Maybe you put it on twitter or somewhere else and I missed it.  

In game, I want support for multi player touranments.  2hg or 2v2 where you get to pick your own partner. Commander won't work because it would become 3v1 kind of play.  With 2v2 it's setup to be even and fair.  I realize this wont happen in v3, but it better be in v4.  There's absolutely no reason that PRE's should be the only way to play this. 

I don't/won't use twitter for this, so a few points here that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

- Lack of existence of MTGO gift cards/codes/etc continues to amaze me.  Offering these would extract a lot more money from me and most other players I know, especially around gift-giving holidays.

- Lack of a real auction house (a la the ones that exist in just about every other online game).  You've asked about this in surveys; hope that means someone is looking into it.  Fractional tix as currency may or may not bring up legal concerns, but even real-cash-money auction house is now being done elsewhere in very high-profile ways (Diablo 3).  if Blizzard has checked it out legally and decied they can make it work, surely there should be impetus to check into this further for MTGO.  This could replace or be added in addition to the classified section.

- Beef up your MTGO beta development team.  I can't get into detail here of course, but hope it's ok to say that progress seems VERY slow and random.  Your aged and buggy 3.0 interface continues to turn many potential customers off from trying or sticking with the game.  I have at least two close friends who have tried and state that's the exact reason, and both saw how nice-looking DotP was and played the hell out of it.  The fact that major and obvious issues like the constant reset of the standings in tournament views, how chat is routinely cut off unless you play with chat window size, and the garbled overlaid text when trying to select a deck should in no way be allowed to exist for years - new players are not exactly impressed.

Thanks for listening and considering.

~Arby

Like the others say, right here and nowhere else.

WotC_Official profiles that communicate, no Bubbas, Iths or Zamms.

I'm kind of proud to be included next to bubba and Zamm, seeing as I'm not affiliated with WotC in any way.  In fact, the only position I ever held for WotC prevented me from communicating as much as I wanted.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />This: As customers, pick one thing you want that we (WotC, MTGO, myself, whatever you decide) aren't delivering or could do better. Please RT!

Keeping your promises. If you say something is coming and soon, don't wait 5 years to actually think about starting on it.
"Leagues are coming and soon."
Everyone has their own little pet peeves I suppose, and since I redeem alot of sets, mine relates to that topic.

PLEASE get better about keeping your customers informed when they redeem sets.  This is a day and age when customers expect to be updated when they place orders online.  Shipping updates are expected.  Tracking information is expected.  The current system basically requires me to wait 10 days after my order, then call and hassle customer service (if you call before 10 full days have passed since the order was placed, they don't seem to help at all).  I get vague, unhelpful answers from customer service virtually every time, maybe some mumbles about "seeing some conflicting information here, I'll have to look into this and get back to you."  The vast majority of the time I get ZERO follow up from customer service.  I do not receive any information about if/when my order has even been shipped (10 days after placing the order!), and I almost never receive any tracking information.  I am currently waiting for redemption orders that were placed THREE WEEKS AGO, and I have not received any tracking information despite multiple requests.
I realize that not everyone redeems a bunch of sets.  But this issue doesn't just pertain to me, it certainly also affects someone who just wants to redeem a couple of sets.  How is it ok in any way for WOTC to take that player's money, remove the digital cards from their account, and then 2-3 weeks later still not be able to give that player any indication whatsoever of when their order might be shipped?
To sum up, from my perspective by FAR the simplest way to resolve this problem is to do the obvious thing: email tracking information to your customers when orders are shipped.  This is not difficult.  I realize there are some underlying issues, and that maybe WOTC is embarrassed to admit to players that their orders have not even been shipped yet.  But I would far rather know that the warehouse is way behind, instead of wondering if FedEx has lost my very expensive order somewhere.
While yes, communication IS a mess, I don't think you guys really want what your actually asking for. "Information in a single location" doesn't mean more information there, it means no little tidbits, hints, or quick comments. Nothing will come out until there's an official announcement prepared and vetted.

What is needed is more communication everywhere, both in the official place and via interaction in social media (the boards, twitter, facebook, etc.). Nothing "important" should be released only via social media, but we want to encourage interaction, not squelch it.

Basically, we need a MaRo for online.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Better filters are needed on the client. Things shouldn't have to be an offical format for the client to be able to play them. There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to check and uncheck enough boxes so the the game you just opened only accepts "legacy pauper prismatic" or whatever insane combo format you can deam of.
While yes, communication IS a mess, I don't think you guys really want what your actually asking for. "Information in a single location" doesn't mean more information there, it means no little tidbits, hints, or quick comments. Nothing will come out until there's an official announcement prepared and vetted.

What is needed is more communication everywhere, both in the official place and via interaction in social media (the boards, twitter, facebook, etc.). Nothing "important" should be released only via social media, but we want to encourage interaction, not squelch it.

Basically, we need a MaRo for online.

Obviously people didn't mean that they wanted all communication from sources other than the forums.     The desire is for everything important (not counting non-meaningful tweets and things that don't really have any real substance) to be located in one place.    The forums seems like a natural place for this, since it already exists and that is what it is designed to do, but any place would work.    For example, there is a retired forum called "Announcements".     This would be a great time to get his lazy butt off the retirement couch and back to work.    He's probably getting bored anyway, I've heard retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be.  

The structure is already there, it's just a matter of getting Wotc employees to use it.    A simple forum structure like this would work great for Magic:

-Forum Homepage
     -Paper Magic
          -Announcements
          -General Questions
          -etc.
      -Magic Online
          -Announcements
          -General Questions
          -etc.

A setup like that is already there, it just needs to be cleaned up and simplified.    As is, there are ancient retired categories and threads that clog up the screen and make it look complicated.     This may be one of the reasons why people stopped using them in the first place.     Also, it needs Wotc to change their communication policy to either write or carbon copy any relevant information to the boards.     This wouldn't be hard to implement, just have everyone at Wotc who writes an article also post it to the forums.     This would add approximately 1 minute to the time it takes to write something, but would make customers much happier.    It would also probably cut down on the amount of money spent on phone support, since some of those questions have to be things that are probably already answered online but are too difficult to find.
The blog already does pretty much exactly what the old announcement forum did, if that's what you're looking for.

There are plenty of communications issues, but for all the complaining about it, centrality doesn't seem to be chief among them. And you know where the central point *should* be? That big space labeled *announcements* in the client. I've been annoyed at how underused that space is since v3 launched.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
The blog already does pretty much exactly what the old announcement forum did, if that's what you're looking for.

There are plenty of communications issues, but for all the complaining about it, centrality doesn't seem to be chief among them. And you know where the central point *should* be? That big space labeled *announcements* in the client. I've been annoyed at how underused that space is since v3 launched.

Yes, I know about the blog, it does indeed do the job of the old announcements folder.    But it's still in a different place, kind of by itself without any other customer service around it.     From what I can tell, there's no direct link on magicthegathering.com to the announcements page.     There is a link to the forums in multiple places.   I remember when they switched to the the blog, it took me a little while to find out where it was.

I definitely agree with your statement that it shoud be in-client, since it would definitely be better.     I don't know if they want to spend the time to do that though (I have no idea how many man hours that would take), but they already have a working platform in the forums.     It wouldn't take any time to start posting everything here.

You are correct when saying that there are other communication issues that need to be addressed; there are plenty of issues, such as the lack of effective communication mentioned above, but I don't see why high quality communication and good organization have to be mutually exclusive.    If anything, I think it's hard to have the quality without a good way to organize it.     If people are posting articles in three different places, they will get missed by some percentage of the population.     Then you end up with more questions, more people having to respond and link to the information, etc.    

This definitely seems like something that could be implemented tomorrow with little to no effort.     A little work on the forum structure, a company-wide memo about centralizing communication to the forum, done.    Then you have to work on the larger issue of information quality, but that's a different beast.
FWIW, the blog (well, the MO group, which includes the blog) is the very first link on the Magic Online webpage.

Let me try a different tack: what information have you seen that wasn't posted in the blog (but was elsewhere) that you think should have been posted in the blog?

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
FWIW, the blog (well, the MO group, which includes the blog) is the very first link on the Magic Online webpage.

Let me try a different tack: what information have you seen that wasn't posted in the blog (but was elsewhere) that you think should have been posted in the blog?

Bubba in a sense I feel like your reacting just like WOTC does to our wants.  We say "hey it sure would be nice to be able to find all the information on what is going on in one place without digging around on forums" and you say "no I don't think you really want that it works just fine now".

While I know your just trying to help bubba and yes the information is posted on that group, it's extremely hard to find for new players and it should be consistently updated in one central, easy to find place on the main website and not on forums.   
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.

I think you misunderstood my point, as I can't see how that question is relevant to what I said.     I haven't seen any information that I think should have been posted to the blog because I don't think any information should be posted to the blog.    I think all information that is posted to the blog should instead be posted to the announcements folder in the forums (or to both, if they prefer, redundancy can't hurt in this case).

If that was a typo and you meant forum instead of blog, the title of this thread is a good answer to that question.    My entire point is that it would be much easier to communicate, both from Wotc to customers and vice versa, if there was one single place that everyone went to do that.    Having some things posted to Twitter, some to the blog, and some to the forums ensures that not everyone will see everything.     Even if it's only a small percentage of people who don't follow all of them (I don't follow Twitter, but follow the blog and forum), it's some number greater than 0.     When there's such an easy way to redemy the situation, why is anything except 0 an acceptable amount?    I'm not saying they should stop posting to Twitter, or the blog, or dailymtg, or any other site.     I'm only saying that it would be easy to create redundant copies of those communications and paste them in the forums as well.    Anyone who is looking at the forums could see anything that was posted anywhere (within reason, obviously, as stated in the previous post); there is nothing but benefit possible from that.  

Also, you are right, I didn't see the blog posted under the Digital Games tab on the homepage.    But the forums still have much greater visibility, since they are in the stationary left menu under every tab.

Bubba in a sense I feel like your reacting just like WOTC does to our wants.  We say "hey it sure would be nice to be able to find all the information on what is going on in one place without digging around on forums" and you say "no I don't think you really want that it works just fine now".

While I know your just trying to help bubba and yes the information is posted on that group, it's extremely hard to find for new players and it should be consistently updated in one central, easy to find place on the main website and not on forums.   

Also what Heath said - the main website is the best place for important information to go since it gets the most traffic.     It would get clogged with too much info though, which is why the forums are also important.
Bubba.. How many clicks does it take to get from the main magic page at dailymtg.com to the main magic online page? And how obvious is it that you should go to that last link to end up at what is supposed to be the main page? Hint: it is not obvious. While I follow all the MTGO people and post most of their relevant tweets here for you guys... I do wish they would communicate more often on these boards.

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

I hate how often the game changes.  They change the way the rules work, they change the rating system, they change what you have to do to get invited to an invite-only event, they change the penalty guideline, they change the pattern with which new expansions get released, they change the rarity distribution in booster packs, they even change how some cards like Flash and Time Vault function, and so on.  I don't want there to be an obligation to go to magicthegathering.com every day and read every article just to keep up-to-date on what the rules are now.  People don't have to go to chess.com every day and read the latest revisions to the rules of chess.  They haven't changed the rules of poker.  The 10 million page comprehensive rulebook is already a massive barrier for new players to get into magic, and the constantly shifting rules are an additional barrier that makes it difficult to take some time off and then get back in seriously again.
Magic is like this big thin hollow plastic tube, and change is like the air blown into it to keep it standing up.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Magic is like this big thin hollow plastic tube, and change is like the air blown into it to keep it standing up.

Someone spike your cofffee with mushrooms? hah
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Bubba.. How many clicks does it take to get from the main magic page at dailymtg.com to the main magic online page? And how obvious is it that you should go to that last link to end up at what is supposed to be the main page? Hint: it is not obvious.

Three, and I agree it's not obvious. However, www.mtgonline.com takes you there directly. Also, it is the first hit if I type "Magic Online" into google. Besides, I'm not saying that location is easy to find or well publicized (it isn't and it should be), but that is a different argument than saying everything should be centralized.

As for the location for the centralization, I don't see that it matters much if it is properly advertised. Right now, that "stationary forums link" takes you to the paper boards, where Magic Online is nowhere in sight. Also note that the place for "dissemenating information" and "interacting with the community" is going to be different. Interacting with the community can and should happen on any platform: twitter, forums, facebook, or even in-person (the horror).

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

I don't know what they are called, but you see them at events all the time. Here is a picture of one variant:

Free Speech

I don't know what they are called, but you see them at events all the time. Here is a picture of one variant:

Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man.
For enfranchised users looking for Magic Online information, I strongly encourage going directly to www.mtgonline.com/

Major announcements and tournament coverage are there, with most other Magic Online-related info (PTQ schedule, forums, blog, calendar, client download link, MOCS info, MOPR info, banned/restricted lists) being just one click away.
Lee Sharpe Data Analyst Wizards of the Coast
Thanks for the responses, all.

I asked for the response on twitter because I actively coveted the 140 character limit for this question. You are of course free to not use twitter, and post your thoughts here, which I will still read (as I do still read every single thread in this forum), it just wont get swooped up into my official followup in which I collate all the <140 character answers to share with my colleagues.

You aren't wasting your words when you post here, ever.

You also should never feel like (not that many of you do, lol) the need to wait until someone from WotC *asks* for your feedback to give it. As I said, I read this forum quite often, even still. Just ask WotC_K how often he gets a random midnight email from me asking him to follow up on whatever. ;)

No offense intended by the format request.
You are wasting your words when you post here, ever.

Oh really? :p 
You are wasting your words when you post here, ever.

Oh really? :p 

Hah, fixed. ;)
Being one of your probably harshest critics I feel its right to point out a few things:

- the rules change with missed triggers(ipg and all that) is one hugely positive step. This point overshadows all the things below massively imo. The additional things that hopefully will come with time because of this change in fundamental game-philosophy are not few, and they will all be very good for the paper game.
- OP play still need stuff but I sense a positive change (dont ask me why =)), even though we would like Nats+ELO back.
- communications: From standstill at 0 for alooong time (or rather going in circles?) you are now at least 0.1 percent on your way.
- LimitedResources (Spain and Marshall) will probably have positive effect on the company and our game.
- the new client: I think it will be at least ok.

for what it is worth: my 2 cents...
- This is, honestly, a grotesque advantage. Noah Weil on scouting, an attorney from Seattle with 20 Pro Tour appearances.
Bubba.. How many clicks does it take to get from the main magic page at dailymtg.com to the main magic online page? And how obvious is it that you should go to that last link to end up at what is supposed to be the main page? Hint: it is not obvious.

Three, and I agree it's not obvious. However, www.mtgonline.com takes you there directly. Also, it is the first hit if I type "Magic Online" into google. Besides, I'm not saying that location is easy to find or well publicized (it isn't and it should be), but that is a different argument than saying everything should be centralized.

interesting... it is the second hit when I type magico nline in google the first being the download link

I'm sorry my intent wasn't clear.. I was saying how hard it would be for a novice to find it... I personally would have Magic Online as one of the top menu bars on dailymtg.com but I can see the utility of having digital games there to encompass all such offerings... but having the newt link take you to the download page INSTEAD of the (very useful) www.mtgonline.com ? seems silly. very silly.

As for the location for the centralization, I don't see that it matters much if it is properly advertised. Right now, that "stationary forums link" takes you to the paper boards, where Magic Online is nowhere in sight. Also note that the place for "dissemenating information" and "interacting with the community" is going to be different. Interacting with the community can and should happen on any platform: twitter, forums, facebook, or even in-person (the horror).

Hey like I said I follow everyone on twitter and read Maro's tumblr etc.. but your note here about the forum location is exactly what I was talking about... It should be really easy to find MTGO stuff (in fact I reckon MTGO is so popular they should make it pretty hard not to find links to MTGO)

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

Sign In to post comments