UR Vengeance

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

Seems pretty good. Early game, you just dig for Vengeance. Then you play Vengeance, and you win.

// Lands
4 [INN] Sulfur Falls
3 [AVR] Desolate Lighthouse
8 [ON] Mountain (4)
6 [ALA] Island (3)
4 [DKA] Evolving Wilds

// Creatures
1 [AVR] Lone Revenant
2 [INN] Snapcaster Mage

// Spells
1 [INN] Devil's Play
4 [AVR] Pillar of Flame
4 [INN] Burning Vengeance
1 [AVR] Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
3 [AVR] Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded
2 [AVR] Devastation Tide
3 [INN] Blasphemous Act
4 [INN] Dissipate
2 [DKA] Faithless Looting
4 [INN] Desperate Ravings
4 [INN] Think Twice

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [AVR] Second Guess
SB: 1 [MBS] Forest (1)
SB: 3 [TSP] Ancient Grudge
SB: 1 [AVR] Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
SB: 4 [AVR] Misthollow Griffin/Archwing Dragon
SB: 1 [AVR] Lone Revenant
SB: 1 [INN] Blasphemous Act

To port to Standard, -2 Devastation Tide, -2 Blasphemous Act, +4 Slagstorm, -4 Dissipate, +4 Mana Leak. 

SB: Extra Revanant and Tamiyo v. Control decks, plus Second Guess against Dissipate.

Ancient Grudge for the equipment and other misc. artifacts.

Archwing Dragon/Misthollow Griffin comes in when everyone SBs out their creature removal. Misthollow is slightly better against Dissipate and the Aggro decks (as it blocks).

This deck is a huge gamble in Block. Not only do you have to contend that people will have the Cage or Orb (Maybe both) in their sideboard, your early game plan is highly dependent on being able to shoot down threats as they pop up.

Pillar of Flame is really good when you have it in hand, and will take care of a lot of early threats, but you have nothing else to handle early threats outside of laying down a Burning Vengeance. Which is fine, but even vengeance doesn't do much outside of remove one target a turn at first, and if you opponent is playing any sort of mid-range creatures, is able to lay more than one threat a turn, or gets a  champions through the first few turns, then you are going to feel seriously stuck.

This does upset me more than you know, because I would really, really like to see a good Burning Vengeance deck. I'm not convinced this is good enough yet. I'm not sure it can get good enough, but here are some suggestions.

-1 Tiabalt +1 Tamiyo --- While Tiabalt is nice as a card filter, and maybe as an eventual damage source, your deck basically revolves around deck filtering, anyway. He's too much, and while I wouldn't cut him completely, I'd pull him back. Tamiyo, however, is really good against strategies that rely on single large creatures and her ultimate wins you the game if you've not gotten there yet. As your only true late game card, I'd want more of her.

... I'm on the fence with Devastation Tide. On the one hand, Token and Zombie is a thing, and this will slow them down a turn when you play it. On the other hand, it really is only useful against Tokens, as if they are swarming you with weenies, they'll just play out all their weenies again on the next turn. This feels like a sideboard card to me, to bring in when you know what you're fighting. I'd put in some Giestflames or some Silent Departure/Vanishment in it's place, to help control the board or have a greater chance to take out a Champion before they get insane.

Or... place in more Snappies, because Snapcaster just does what the deck wants to do, all the time, every time. Blocks, Gets removal, triggers Vengeance. I don't think it is all that bad to play with 4.

Also, consider Arcane Melee. It makes all spells, including the flashback costs, cheaper in this deck, and it helps solves on of the problems of the deck, the scarcity of mana generation.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Sign In to post comments