MTGO Community Manager Job

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
As tweeted by Mike Robles and posted on the Hasbro job website, WotC is looking for a Community Manager for MTGO and DotP.

Here's the job listing.

I started the thread to (a) let everyone know the about the position (b) gather feedback on what you want to see from the position.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Community Coordinator, Magic: The Gathering--TEMPORARY
Employment Type: Temporary

*Facepalm*  
That was my first reaction too. I've already got a tweet in to Robles to find out what's up with that.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I know my application is in, how about yours?

They can't pay me enough given my level of education. Which is a shame since, no BS in communication aside, I am probably well-qualified after all these years.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

They can't pay me enough given my level of education. Which is a shame since, no BS in communication aside, I am probably well-qualified after all these years.

Fortunately I would work for peanuts just to get the chance. 
Fortunately I would work for peanuts just to get the chance. 

Shhhhh! You're not supposed to let them know that.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
As much as I'd like to see this position come on board, I've lost a bit of faith recently with WotC intrepreting marketing as communication.

That, and I still have nightmares over "He who shall not be named" on these boards.

Later,

Don! 
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
Robvalue is the best candidate for this job. He is all things DOTP. 

Wizards should just hire him.

Either of you gets my Thumbs up if you wanted the job.
I can fully understand your postion bubba and agree.

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

I live about 20 minutes north of Renton, and I must admit I kind of want the job.  I wonder how much they dislike me at this point.

Beers at Cafe Mox, oh Wizards?  I'm funnier in person.

I know multiple people have you on ignore, I do not think you would make a very good Community Coordinator.  Laughing
You can't imagine how much I laughed at this thread.

Really.  That bad.

How out of touch are you that you think a community liason is a temporary position, eh WotC management?

I only stop by these boards about once a month now.

Oh, I and I have Ith blocked too.  Sorry buddy, but you'd be a terrible fit for the job. 
I may rarely agree with Ith, and he may not be the best qualified person to hold the job -- but if WotC wanted to give it to him, I'd be happy for him and happy that the process resulted in someone who cares getting the job.

Honestly, I don't want someone who's good at filling in resume blanks and interviewing well as our community manager.  I want someone who cares about the game.  Half the reason folks have Ith on ignore is likely because he cares about the game so much.  Heck, I'd wager that more people have me on ignore than Ith. Laughing

Bottom line, we've had a community manager before.  One who cared more about managing than community.  Whomever we get, I hope they honestly care more about us than in making sure their I's are always dotted and their T's crossed.

Ith would probably ban me from the boards in the first month, but I'd be okay with that as long as I knew he was doing things from a position of caring.

Like I said, Ith may not get the job -- but he cares.  And I care that the person who gets the job cares about the game as much as he or I, or a lot of us folks on this board do ... even though we rarely agree on anything.

Later,

Don
I may rarely agree with Ith, and he may not be the best qualified person to hold the job -- but if WotC wanted to give it to him, I'd be happy for him and happy that the process resulted in someone who cares getting the job.

Honestly, I don't want someone who's good at filling in resume blanks and interviewing well as our community manager.  I want someone who cares about the game.  Half the reason folks have Ith on ignore is likely because he cares about the game so much.  Heck, I'd wager that more people have me on ignore than Ith. 

Bottom line, we've had a community manager before.  One who cared more about managing than community.  Whomever we get, I hope they honestly care more about us than in making sure their I's are always dotted and their T's crossed.

Ith would probably ban me from the boards in the first month, but I'd be okay with that as long as I knew he was doing things from a position of caring.

Like I said, Ith may not get the job -- but he cares.  And I care that the person who gets the job cares about the game as much as he or I, or a lot of us folks on this board do ... even though we rarely agree on anything.

Later,

Don

Wow I'm honestly flattered that there's still as many strong feelings about me after all these years. 

You know who I have blocked over the years?  Nobody.  Not one single person, for even a moment.  Don, you and I have had our disagreements over the years, but ban you?  Absolutely not.  If there's one thing I would want people to know about me it's that I value opinions, especially when they're in opposition (either to me or the company or whoever). 

I'm not being particularly groundbreaking in saying that communication is what the community manager job is all about.  Social media initiatives are nice and all, but I'm from the old school of these boards and Magic in general.  I'm all for pushing the game on Facebook and Twitter, but what the people on this board want - and I do consider this to be the most informed subsection of Magic Online players, always have - is for the company to talk to them and to listen to them.

If someone wants to block me, that doesn't really affect me or my opinions in any way.  Everybody gets ignored by someone.  What I hope for a new community manager (no matter who it is) is that they won't let that bother them.  Keeping the information and opinions coming and listening to what people have to say is the job. 
Well I think I speak for everyone who frequents the DoTP forum when I say that a formal method of communication with Wizards, where we actually get anwers, is the most important thing.

Kenrufo would be great for this!

I really hope it works. I have to say though, I don't see why Wizards are going to suddenly start taking what we've been saying for years seriously just because someone they hire relays the information.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
You can block people on the forums? Learn something new every day, I guess.

Maybe its listed as "temporary" for some sort of legal reasons. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't offer the person a full-time position doing something if they really liked them after the temporariness wore off.
I'd be fired within the first few weeks. There's a reason I've been an independantly contracted service proivider rather than a corporate lackey these past 22 years....

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I'd be fired within the first few weeks. There's a reason I've been an independantly contracted service proivider rather than a corporate lackey these past 22 years....

Don't sell yourself short!

You'd probably be fired within the first few days ;)
I'm afraid that the traits I would want in a community manager are the same traits that would probably get one fired from such a job.

I would like someone who is honest.  I want someone who is willing to tell us why a certain idea won't work or why a change many of us want is not going to happen.  

I would assume that most of us can take bad news as well as good news as long as we feel that our opinions are heard and not just glossed over. 
We always assume here that these ppl get fired rather quickly. The truth is probably more along the lines of "these ppl burn out after a few weeks"...

Why? Because their plans and our expectations are usually far apart, and we have become extremely hard to please.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
We always assume here that these ppl get fired rather quickly. The truth is probably more along the lines of "these ppl burn out after a few weeks"...

Why? Because their plans and our expectations are usually far apart, and we have become extremely hard to please.

Yes, I can see that.  I just hope that being hard to please shows that we are also very passionate about this game.
There is also the possibility that if the person is good at their job, they will just be transferred somewhere else in WotC.  Because, honestly, MTGO is pretty much the bottom of the rung, they aren't going to waste good talent here when it can be utilized elsewhere. 

Remember Mike Gils?  Yeah, I doubt we're ever getting him back.  He's doing a good job with Paper MTG organized play (I think that's it), so they aren't "giving him back" to us....

It just makes me sad.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
There is also the possibility that if the person is good at their job, they will just be transferred somewhere else in WotC.  Because, honestly, MTGO is pretty much the bottom of the rung, they aren't going to waste good talent here when it can be utilized elsewhere.

Why would they use real talent for digital cards, amirite?
I would settle for digital talent.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
100% Don for CM.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

100% Don for CM.

Really, though, 200 proof Don will just instantly blind you.  Plus, it doesn't really have much of a flavor.....

You need to dilute that down to at least 150 proof before I'd touch it.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...

LOL, you all kill me. 

My PR credentials are out of date these days, so I'm at best 30 proof in my current state.

Professionally, I've gone over to the dark side of metrics, data and statistics (and more money).  I loved working in public affairs for more than a decade, and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything -- but I'd drive myself to drinking (heavily ...) trying to practice actual, real PR in a company culture like WotC.  It's just not in their chemistry.  Marketing is, and that's what scares the poop out of me.  I just hope we get someone who is at least 50% driven to provide real communication, and not the 80 or 90% marketing wonks we've been stuck with in the past.

Besides, I think my daily Twitter notes to MaRo and Helene regarding the #Failvault and asking someone at WotC to use the word 'sorry' just once in reference to the last pre-release probably precludes me from consideration.  I'm up to Day 15 now, and there's a running bet on how long it will be before either one of them even respond to one of my Tweets.  The +/- is around another month, and that's because the folks in my office know that I'm not going to miss a day.  The average person would have given up by now ... but you all know me and my propensity for tilting at windmills. 

Anyway, we'll get someone ... I just hope that someone has a lot of caring about the game, a really thick skin and a chip on their shoulder to make an actual, positive difference in improving communication between the community and the folks managing the game.

Later,

Don! 

LOL, you all kill me. 

My PR credentials are out of date these days, so I'm at best 30 proof in my current state.

Professionally, I've gone over to the dark side of metrics, data and statistics (and more money).  I loved working in public affairs for more than a decade, and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything -- but I'd drive myself to drinking (heavily ...) trying to practice actual, real PR in a company culture like WotC.  It's just not in their chemistry.  Marketing is, and that's what scares the poop out of me.  I just hope we get someone who is at least 50% driven to provide real communication, and not the 80 or 90% marketing wonks we've been stuck with in the past.

Besides, I think my daily Twitter notes to MaRo and Helene regarding the #Failvault and asking someone at WotC to use the word 'sorry' just once in reference to the last pre-release probably precludes me from consideration.  I'm up to Day 15 now, and there's a running bet on how long it will be before either one of them even respond to one of my Tweets.  The +/- is around another month, and that's because the folks in my office know that I'm not going to miss a day.  The average person would have given up by now ... but you all know me and my propensity for tilting at windmills. 

Anyway, we'll get someone ... I just hope that someone has a lot of caring about the game, a really thick skin and a chip on their shoulder to make an actual, positive difference in improving communication between the community and the folks managing the game.

Later,

Don! 

I am mildly surprised you haven't been swatted yet :p Daily Tweets? Ouch.

Winter.Wolf

You sure you're not really ShelDon the Mage? ;)

I had a bad feeling about this whole helvault thing. It seemed a bit like the console achievement/trophy thing, only with really random triggers. I hate that in trophies. For example the Catan trophies on PS3, you almost need to collude with your fellow players to get some of them. The helvault things had the same feel to it; as long as you could collude about them with your opponent you had a good chance of getting some of those seals. That felt wrong to me.

Our local game store didn't participate and in retrospect that was a good thing, coz boy I never suspected it was that much worse...
Free Speech
I still don't get the big deal about the helvault.  It was fun at the prerelease I went to and it didn't cost me anything extra.

Maybe it's because I went into it with the expectation that the stuff inside would be overhyped and I wasn't expecting much. 
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
I am also tired of hearing about Helvault.  BatDwarf is right, I do not get why people are complaining so much.
What I don't get about the Helvault hype is why people didn't expect exactly what happened.  Doesn't anymore remember Zendikar's "hidden treasures"?
Bleh, I remember the 'Hidden Treasures' promotion.  I was kind of hoping WotC Marketing would too.  Do I honestly expect too much from a company that I know employs some of the smartest people I know?

Later,

Don! 
Count me in those who don't understand all the kvetching about the Helvault. "Waaaa, that other group got better free stuff than we did."

As for Nush's complaint: the achievments didn't really do anything. At the end of the event, the Helvault was opened and the promos distributed. The achievments were just a fun little side game to get a peek of what was in the Helvault early. At a pre-release, I don't think there is really much harm in that.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Count me in those who don't understand all the kvetching about the Helvault. "Waaaa, that other group got better free stuff than we did."

As for Nush's complaint: the achievments didn't really do anything. At the end of the event, the Helvault was opened and the promos distributed. The achievments were just a fun little side game to get a peek of what was in the Helvault early. At a pre-release, I don't think there is really much harm in that.

I think that the seals were only supposed to be opened by people that turned in achievement cards.  That could have been the sore point.

Bleh, I remember the 'Hidden Treasures' promotion.  I was kind of hoping WotC Marketing would too.  Do I honestly expect too much from a company that I know employs some of the smartest people I know?

Later,

Don! 

I guess I (and probably WotC) don't see what the big deal is about offering valuable goodies at random when the sales model for the game already does the same.  What's the difference between not getting a good Helvault, not getting any "hidden treasures" and not opening a mythic rare in your pack?  The only difference that I see is that you know there's a chance of a mythic when you open the pack, and nobody know about the vault contents or the treasures before they started appearing. 

If the Helvaults hadn't contained anything cool - just tokens and dice for everybody - people would be complaining that the promotion was disappointing because the content was so dull.  If they'd included enough shiny cards for everyone at every prerelease with a Helvault, people would complain that the promos were suddenly worthless due to the market being flooded with them.  Wizards is in a lose/lose position when it comes to promotions because nothing short of sending every single Magic player a survey asking what they want out of a promo will result in a completely happy playerbase.  So, once again, they settle for doing a cool bonus for some people and a slightly less cool bonus for other people.  It's still all upside.  Anyone who feels cheated because they went to a Helvault opening expecting Time Walks and Mishra's Workshops to rain from the sky was fooling themselves to begin with.  It was exactly the same as other prereleases - with a small bonus. 
"They could put $100 bills in the packs and the players would complain they were folded wrong."

whoever said that truely knew what wotc has to deal with when it comes to pleasing the mtg fan base.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

"They could put $100 bills in the packs and the players would complain they were folded wrong."

whoever said that truely knew what wotc has to deal with when it comes to pleasing the mtg fan base.

Arterial_Death, I think. But it was so long ago I'm not really sure.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Yeah, it's like Rule #1 that they teach you in business school:  In every business in every industry, the most important skill a company can have is the ability to ignore everything their customer base says.
Application Haiku w/Splinter Twin

If I could be paid
For sitting here in jammies
Telecommuting
Do what I'm doing
Delivering whammies
I'd jump at the chance

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.