Help: Lord of Blades 3.5 to 4th

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

I liked the Lord of Blades from 3.5 and want to make him in 4th
He was an artificer/fighter

But back then the classes (and multiclassing) were a bit different so I was wondering what the most "true" and optimized version of Lord of Blades would look like in 4th (cause in 3.5 the classes and the race worked very well togheter), I want him to:
*charge very well
*buff himself
*have construct pets/familiars/summons (2 if possible, it is ok to asign, for example, a "wolf" or other animal cause I can re-flavour that easily to a wolf-like-construct with my DM).
*superior weapon: double sword
*spiked adamantine plating
*Warforged Juggernaut as PP

First I thought about the obvious artificer|fighter but then leaned towards artificer|ranger

Help please whats your idea?
I appriciate new ideas that bring him closer to his core.

Edit:
Fey beast tamer, thanks to TheMalteseFalchion
Shoulderbow, thanks to Salla/wotc
And you'll want Fey Beast Tamer for a theme, as it provides some solid benefits and gives you a companion that can stick around for every fight.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I would go with the suggestion for Fey Beast Tamer, but trying to get you thematically close to the goal I'm a little confused by artificer.  It can fit with your build but I don't know if it fits perfectly enough to lock that in as your class. You don't have to be an artificer to "buff yourself" although everything fits fairly well with art|swordmage except the fact that you will not really want as heavy armor as I imagine you are trying to get with this build.

Is plate armor something you want your character to want?  If so, add that to the qualifiers. 
edited first post to better express the goals, yes I would very much like him to wear plate

fey beast tamer- theme was super!
You're covered in metal, the heck would you wear plate for?

People covered in skin still wear hides as armor sometimes too.
Turn that on its head: You're covered in metal, the heck would you wear leather for?
You're covered in metal, the heck would you wear plate for?

good point

I wanted blades on the armor. But you are correct Erachima I actually dont need spiked plate since in 3.5 Lord of Blade hurt his foe with his bladed armor by bull rushing (or charing?) them, you could say a simple Horned Helm could be reflavoured to symbolize the blades on his armor...

But have you seen a warforged without heavy armor, it looks terrible when you can see all the wood and it doesnt really give the same I-can-knock-down-your-door-by-leaning-feeling as a fully adamantine plated warforged give.

Also how do I make a Swordmage in to a dmg-dealing charger? Cause the Lord is all about bringing pain and giving epic speaches about warforged superiority
The Lord of Blades, and his sidekicks Hilt and Pommel, have statistics in the Eberron Campaign Setting already.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
The Lord of Blades, and his sidekicks Hilt and Pommel, have statistics in the Eberron Campaign Setting already.

Yes, so how do I make him a playable character?
Also this version dont really selfbuff as the old artificers could, it would be fun to also be able to do that.

I love the shoulderbow! Dont remember if he had it in 3.5 but its cool so I take it

Lord of Blades
Show

Medium natural humanoid (living construct)
Level 21 Elite Skrimisher (Leader) XP 6400
Initiative +15      
 Senses Perception +10
Quicken Constructs aura 5; allied constructs and living construct within the aura gain +4 to initiative rolls.
HP 388; Bloodied 194

AC 39; Fortitude 35, Reflex 30, Will 34
Immune disease, poison
Saving Throws +2 (+4 against ongoing damage)
Speed 6
Action Points 1

Adamantine Sixblade (standard, at-will) Weapon

+28 vs AC; 1d12+11 damage (crit 19–20), the Lord of Blades slides the target 2 squares, and the target is marked until the end of the Lord of Blades’ next turn. Damage from this attack ignores 10 points of resist all.

Blade Mark (immediate interrupt, when an adjacent enemy marked by the lord of blades moves or shifts, at-will) Weapon

The Lord of Blades makes a melee basic attack against the triggering enemy. An enemy hit by this attack stops moving. If this attack hits, the Lord of Blades makes a melee basic attack as a free action against a different target within reach

Off-Hand Slash (minor 1/round; requires an adamantine sixblade, at-will) Weapon

+28 vs AC; 1d12+11 damage (crit 19–20), and the target is marked until the end of the Lord of Blades’ next turn. Damage from this attack ignores 10 points of resist all.

Shoulderbow (minor 1/round, at-will) Weapon

Ranged 20; +28 vs AC; 1d8+7 damage.

Lord of Constructs (minor, encounter) Healing

Close burst 10; allied construct and living constructs gain 10 temporary hit points. A bloodied construct or living construct ally also regains 10 hit points

Bladed Body

The Lord of Blades deals 1d8 + 4 damage to any creature that grabs him. A creature that continues to grab him takes 1d8 + 4 damage at the start of its turn.

Powerful Charger

When charging, the Lord of Blades deals 2d6 extra damage and pushes the target 1 square. He then shifts into the square the target vacated.

Lordly Resolve (minor; encounter) Healing

The Lord of Blades gains 15 temporary hit points and ends one effect that a save can end. If he uses this power while bloodied, he also regains 15 hit points.

Alignment Evil        Languages Common, Dwarven, Giant
Skills Arcana +17, Athletics +22, Intimidate +21
Str 25 (+17)      Dex 16 (+13)      Wis 11 (+10)
Con 18 (+14)      Int 14 (+12)      Cha 22 (+16)

Equipment: adamantine sixblade, shoulderbow, plate armor

Take the Fighter with a grain of non-literal salt, and turn it into a warlord. I mean face it, the guy's a consumate commander, a Lord of his Blades. He leads by example, but he still leads. I mean, in 3.5 there were no Warlords, but as far as I'm concerned any 3.5 Fighter who is as focused on being the boss of a pack of Fighters, is a Warlord.

So as far as I'm concerned, the perfect charop representation of the Lord of Blades would be the melee, Warforged variant of Killswitch.

Artificer|Warlord, very tough for a leader, good damage on his own, and turns any of his followers in to murder machines. His personal damage might not be as high as you want, but other than that I'd say it's a good fit. Just refluff some of the irregularities, like the Leather Armor.

Edit: Or consider this build if you want something that fits to your demands better. It says Rogue, but what's in a name?
I think a a Slayer with Bravura Leader and Feybeast Tamer (as mentioned) would fit. Or a Thaneborn Barbarian|Cleric (if you could get str/cha racials instead, and ignore the religious part) with Resourceful Warlord and Impetuous Charger
Warpath Berserker as a Paragon Path might be a possibility, but would involve adding Barbarian into the mix somewhere.  The E11 is excellent for sending your murder machines forward to... Crush Them!  And then again next turn...

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Warpath Berserker as a Paragon Path might be a possibility, but would involve adding Barbarian into the mix somewhere.  The E11 is excellent for sending your murder machines forward to... Crush Them!  And then again next turn...

I like the mc-feat for barbarians: battle berserker so that is an interesting PP

Seraphex: yes warlord is absolutely a possibility and my nr1 favourite build is Killswitch, very cool
Sign In to post comments