Flicker in layman terms.....

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can someone explain how flicker works?
I'm assuming you mean the most recent "Flicker"-effects, since they changed slightly in functionality over the years

if you use Cloudshift on a creature you own it gets exiled and returns almost instantly
that is nice to save it from something like Doom Blade since that spell loses tracks of the creature when it changes zones
it can also be used to make Act of Treason permanent
it can also be used to change which creatures pair with each other
or if you just want to get more out of your ETB effect

did that answer it?
proud member of the 2011 community team

it can also be used to make Act of Treason permanent

This only applies to cloudshift, because it says return it "under your control" rather than "under its owner's control." Every other flicker (afaik) returns under owner's control.

Flicker effects are primarily used to "untarget" your permanents from enemy spells. Since the thing flickering leaves the battlefield, it comes back as a new object which targeted spells can't keep track of anymore. It's also used to recur come-into-play effects.

It will not save your stuff from field-wide effects like Day of Judgment, since those don't need to target your stuff to kill them. Similar flicker abilities like Otherworldly Journey will help in those cases, because the creature stays exiled until the end step, long after DoJ has killed everything.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

it applies to all AVR Flicker effects
that's what my answer was about. it does not apply to older cards like Flicker or Momentary Blink
Aha! I forgot about the soulbond flicker guy. I didn't realize they did that for every flicker in the set.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Some potentially useful things Flicker effects can do to a permanent:

• Untap it

• Give it summoning sickness (usually only good on your opponent's stuff, but could save you from some Siren's Call - type effect)

• Reuse "enter the battlefield" effects

• Use "leave the battlefield" effects without losing the permanent

• Retrieve control of something someone else stole from you (provided they use the old, "owner's control" wording)

• Make effects like Act of Treason permanent (provided they use the new, "same player's control" wording)

• Cause things targeting it to lose track of it

• Get rid of Auras and unattach Equipment

• Get rid of damage

• End effects like "target permanent gets -1/-1 until end of turn"

• Get rid of counters, or replenish them if they get "spent" to power some ability

• Remove it from combat

• Change pairings for Soulbond (specific to Avacyn Restored)

This list probably isn't complete.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
and they can be used to kill tokens (not sure why you'd want to kill your own, but hey you can)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

and they can be used to kill tokens (not sure why you'd want to kill your own, but hey you can)

I had a feeling I'd missed a potentially important one!
They can also be used to manipulate effects of ETB Items using the stack

Fiend Hunter is played, its Etb effect goes on the stack targeting X
You Instant in Cloudshift targeting Fiend Hunter Placing it on top of the triggered ability to exile
Then the stack resolves
Cloudshift exiles Hunter and returns hunter ETB effect goes on stack above older ETB targeting Y
Exile  Y
Exile X (this one has no Hunter to associate with Exiled Forever)

I could argue that's a special case of reusing ETB abilities, but it might be different enough to deserve its own spot.

A few more:

• Turn a Morph crawler face-up

• Turn a Morph crawler face-up without triggering any "when you turn this face-up" abilities

• Unflip a Kamigawa flip card (by far the simplest way to do this I can think of!)

• Transform a dual-faced card to the "day" side

• Revise choices made for cards like Clone and Primal Clay (not what's usually meant by ETB abilities, as it's a replacement effect, not a triggered ability)

when the card leaves the battle field does it come back when you want it to or does it come back right away?
It comes back right away, as the next part of the spell/ability resolving. No one gets to respond inbetween.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
when the card leaves the battle field does it come back when you want it to or does it come back right away?

some Flicker effects return it at the end of turn
the one's from AVR all return it immediatly
Yeah that's right. I was only referring to the new set ones.

It would be very unusual for the card to allow you to return it whenever you wanted, it's generally right away or ready to trigger at a given point in the future. Just a matter of reading the card carefully.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
Flicker effects return it at the end of turn
the one's from AVR all return it immediatly

There are cards like that (e.g. Astral Slide, Turn to Mist), but I don't usually see them referred to as "flicker effects".
true, "Flicker" is usually reserved for those that return it instantly
but they still could be considered to be in the same category since they move a card from the battlefield to exile and back.
I believe I saw a maro tumblr post say R&D calls that kind of effect "slow flicker."
All Generalizations are Bad
Aren't Otherworldly Journey and Ghostway usually considered Flicker Effects as well, due to them being Instants (and thus useful as Protection against removal/Mass removal)?
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Those would fall in the same category as astral slide and turn to mist. I don't think anyone denies that they're similar to AVR-style flicker effects, with some important differences, but terminology varies.
All Generalizations are Bad
I could argue that's a special case of reusing ETB abilities, but it might be different enough to deserve its own spot.

A few more:

• Turn a Morph crawler face-up without triggering any "when you turn this face-up" abilities

• Unflip a Kamigawa flip card (by far the simplest way to do this I can think of!)

• Revise choices made for cards like Clone and Primal Clay (not what's usually meant by ETB abilities, as it's a replacement effect, not a triggered ability)

Does it actually re-enter the battlefield on the "day" side, or shouldn't the creature ("night" side) that was briefly exiled (flickered) return?  Aren't you exiling the target creature, not the target card/permanent?

next time open a new thread for a new question instead of bumping an old thread

what is in your opinion the difference between a creature and a permanent?
furthermore the night side does not exist anywhere but on the battlefield, so it will transform to the day side in exile already

A few more:

Does it actually re-enter the battlefield on the "day" side, or shouldn't the creature ("night" side) that was briefly exiled (flickered) return?  Aren't you exiling the target creature, not the target card/permanent?

It goes to the day side, for the exact same reason all the other things on that list are true. It re-enters the battlefield exactly as though it had just been played, just like any other card.

Your last sentence is making a distinction without a difference. The creature is the permanent is (barring tokens) the card.
Once it's exiled, it's no longer a creature, although it's still a creature card.  It forgets that it was transformed or flipped or morphed or kicked or had counters on it or took damage earlier in the turn and it dumps all its Equipment on the battlefield and all its Auras in the graveyard.  It's then put into play without all that baggage it was carrying - day side, face up, no kicker, no counters, no damage, no attachments unless it has an ETB effect that adds them.
Sign In to post comments