Baja's Encounter Deck construction project

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I originally planned to just make cards in a document, print them, cut them out, and then use them as a physical deck. See page 194 dmg


I was roaming the net kingdom when a wild site said this:

www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/tut...

I immediately downloaded and began reviewing tutorials and the manual. However it crashes when I click auto build per page 54 of the manual regarding the encounter deck. I am uncertain if it requires all mosters to be made manually in the program. I didn't see anything say that, but it seems like it crashes because of null pointers, at least that is what I think. ( it would be nice if they handled exception errors better)

So I went back to the print and cut method. I wondered if anyone had any better ideas for this. Is there a site that will randomize the cards for me?

Don't get me wrong, there are awesome generators out there like:
donjon.bin.sh/4e/encounter/

I would like to make the deck though.  Maybe I will make a macro in maptools.  

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

 

If you managed to cause Masterplan to crash, please look for error logs (in the Logs folder) and email them to us. That way we can find out what happened, and fix it.
Sorry for the late response. Pretty sure it just crashed because I had not manually added any mosters, so it tried to call some stuff that was not present. 

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

 

Update - When downloaded the macro does not seem to work, so hit ctrl+shift+F9 on Open Office Calc, or just F9 on excel. For some reason the macros do not save right, or something is wrong with their pathing. Opening the document from my own desktop does not maintain the button functionality. 



UPDATE - I got the button and macro working if you wanted to download the document for the encounter deck. 
If you wanted to improve it, here is a tutorial on buttons and macros I made. 
youtu.be/nOqdN2noBtk

(pretend I did a line break here, I forgot how momentarily)

I am working on this project again. 

I am going to make a macro button that rolls a d52 since I am designing this to work with a normal playing card deck. Gdrive kind of sucks at diplaying openoffice xsl files for some reason. So if you want to help you might need to download it. I am looking at tutorials for generating a button macro in the program. If the sheet is run in excel, you can just hit f9 to update the calculation of the random number on the left side. It is a work in progress. Here is the link: docs.google.com/open?id=0B356vjBW3s1UTUM...
I hope that link works. 

And here is kind of the basis:

























































































































































































































































































































































































Die rollValueSuitMonster typeLevel
1AceHeartsSoloL-2
22HeartsLurkerL-2
33HeartsLurkerL-2
44HeartsControllerL-2
55HeartsControllerL-2
66HeartsControllerL-2
77HeartsControllerL-2
88HeartsControllerL-1
99HeartsArtilleryL-1
1010HeartsArtilleryL-1
11JackHeartsArtilleryL-1
12QueenHeartsArtilleryL-1
13KingHeartsArtilleryL-1
14AceDiamondsMinionsL-1
152DiamondsMinionsL-1
163DiamondsMinionsL-1
174DiamondsMinionsL-1
185DiamondsMinionsL
196DiamondsBruteL
207DiamondsBruteL
218DiamondsBruteL
229DiamondsBruteL
2310DiamondsBruteL
24JackDiamondsBruteL
25QueenDiamondsBruteL
26KingDiamondsBruteL
27AceSpadesSoldierL
282SpadesSoldierL+1
293SpadesSoldierL+1
304SpadesSoldierL+1
315SpadesSoldierL+1
326SpadesSoldierL+1
337SpadesSoldierL+1
348SpadesSoldierL+1
359SpadesSoldierL+1
3610SpadesSoldierL+1
37JackSpadesSoldierL+1
38QueenSpadesSoldierL+2
39KingSpadesSkirmisherL+2
40AceClubsSkirmisherL+2
412ClubsSkirmisherL+2
423ClubsSkirmisherL+2
434ClubsSkirmisherL+3
445ClubsSkirmisherL+3
456ClubsSkirmisherL+3
467ClubsSkirmisherL+3
478ClubsSkirmisherL+4
489ClubsSkirmisherL+4
4910ClubsSkirmisherL+4
50JackClubsSkirmisherL+4
51QueenClubsSkirmisherL+5
52KingClubsSkirmisherL+5



If you wanted the functions in Open Office they are as follows:
With the monster type in Column F2:F53, and the random number in A2
=INDEX(F2:F53;A2;1)

For the random number
=RANDBETWEEN(1;52)


Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

 

Sign In to post comments