Avengers PC party

67 posts / 0 new
Last post
With the movie being out, I thought it would be amusing to build the team as PCs.

Thor invoker|seeker?

Hulk is obviously a BRV|dreadnought, or maybe the arid berserker.

Iron man... Maybe war forged ranger with dual armbows?

Capt A I'd say melee warlord perhaps.
The whole premise of the Hulk is that he responds to anger / rage.  That's the premise for the barbarian / berserker.  I'd go with that.

For Thor I can see invoker but seeker i'm iffy about.  Not sure what to replace it with though, Paladin ?  Cleric ?

Iron Man I would make human because that's what he is, he's just encased in an armored suit.  So plate armor, he can fly so i'd take a class that has that available...  Plate wearing wizard / mage ?  His intelligence is off the charts so he deserves very high INT.  He's not super dextrous or physically strong and relies on his brain / suit (items).  Maybe hybrid something else but I think the core is really wizard/mage.

Captain America would be the warlord / fighter of the group.  He boosts allies and focuses on melee combat.  However he should use that ranged attack shield that i've seen where you can throw it like a heavy thrown..  forget the name.  He should also not use a main hand weapon except maybe a hand crossbow (pistol equivalent).  so maybe warlord (lazy ?) / brawler fighter. 
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Uh, they should all be avengers, obv.
Frankly, I don't think there's a shield in D&D that would fit Captain America perfectly. While he does use a pistol in his movie (I haven't seen The Avengers yet), in the comic books, he quickly ditched the pistol in favor of his iconic shield. He uses it as both a Melee weapon and a Ranged weapon. Unfortunately, there's no shield enchantment that gives both a Melee Attack and a Ranged Attack. There are shields that are counted as melee weapons, and the Throwing Shield works for range, but there's nothing that gives both.
throwing spiked shield

refluff out the "spiked" part
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Re: Iron Man.  Wizard|Avenger/Favored Soul.  High Int, ok Wis.  Distant Vengeance.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

throwing spiked shield

Yeah, that sounds right. Either a Fighter or a Ranger.

EDIT: Ranger, who never targets the same creature with Twin Strike. EDIT: Or who uses Throw and Stab instead.
throwing spiked shield

Would a Farbond Spellblade Spiked Shield work as an alternative to use it as a heavy thrown weapon? This would open up other new heavy-thrower builds.
Iron Man has to be a Human Artificer/Self-Forged. I mean...that's just perfect in every way. Hybrid with something else for lasers (wizard? sorcerer? int/cha would be the ideal stat array).

I can't see Hulk as a defender, he's striker all the way (so Barbarian > Berserker).

Captain America: I think we all agree on Warlord/Battle Captain.

Thor takes the roles of defender and striker, is highly lightning-based, wields a hammer, and is wildly powerful. I see Blender Mk. 2
Someone asked about an Iron Man build before, and my favorite was the Artificer|Psion hybrid.  Go with the force powers on the Psion side.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I would suggest Storm Heart Warden for the Odin son.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Captain America could be a fighter|warlord using a spiked shield with the farbond spellblade enchantment. He could even use cleave with the deft-hurler style feat to actually throw his shield.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Thor - take a look at Litigation's Paladin builds. One fits him very well.

Cap - Human Fighter | Warlord / Battle Champion / either Ceaseless Guardian, Eternal Defender or Unyielding Sentinal with Heroic Effort and the following pre-racial stats
16 str, 14 con, 13 dex, 10 int, 10 wis, 14 cha
Sorry. mis-spent the stats trying to represent cap. Bleh. He should have a 13 con and dex, not 14
With the movie being out, I thought it would be amusing to build the team as PCs.

Thor invoker|seeker?

Hulk is obviously a BRV|dreadnought, or maybe the arid berserker.

Iron man... Maybe war forged ranger with dual armbows?

Capt A I'd say melee warlord perhaps.

Captain America is an Avenger who throws his Shield.

That description works both for the movie and for the D&D character.
With the movie being out, I thought it would be amusing to build the team as PCs. Thor invoker|seeker? Hulk is obviously a BRV|dreadnought, or maybe the arid berserker. Iron man... Maybe war forged ranger with dual armbows? Capt A I'd say melee warlord perhaps.

Except Cap is definitely a leader, so that has to figure in somewhere.

Re: Hulk, Goliath rageblood MC fighter / dreadnought?  Dreadnought just fits him so well...

Hulk does have the rage thing but seeing as how he is always grabbing whatever is handy to use as a weapon or fighting barehanded, I would suggest Arena fighter somewhere in there.  He uses too many improvised weapons to be a brawler.
A bit old, but I've always liked this Thor build by Auspex7: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/23140081/THOR!!!_(Human_BarbarianRunepriestAvengerLyrandar_WindriderDemigod_w_Lightning_Mordenkrad)?pg=1

LIGHTNING HAMMER POUNDING SKULLS! 
With the movie being out, I thought it would be amusing to build the team as PCs. Thor invoker|seeker? Hulk is obviously a BRV|dreadnought, or maybe the arid berserker. Iron man... Maybe war forged ranger with dual armbows? Capt A I'd say melee warlord perhaps.

Re: Hulk, Goliath rageblood MC fighter / dreadnought?  Dreadnought just fits him so well...

Avenger|Fake Skald?  Power of Skill, hand out bonuses... no real granted attacks though.  Maybe Half-elf(or Corellon Boon of Arcane Might) Avenger|Warlord MC Skald? 

Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis

Avenger|Fake Skald?  Power of Skill, hand out bonuses... no real granted attacks though.  Maybe Half-elf(or Corellon Boon of Arcane Might) Avenger|Warlord MC Skald? 

Actually, he's not really an Avenger at all, it was more a joke on the name.

As for being a leader, there's no reason to make him one just because he's the leader of the Avengers. When they're fighting, he doesn't go "Hulk! Go smash! Everybody shift 5 squares!", he simply fights along with them and they all work together.

I'd say he's some sort of strength/dexterity build. Possibly a Slayer that uses a shield as a weapon.
So I guess you missed the part where he was literally telling everyone what to do.  And he actually did say "Hulk... Smash".  He "comboed" at least once with Ironman (granted as a nod to Ultimate Alliance) which mechanically could have been Unleash Hell, Combined Arms Assault, Stay on Target or any other various granted attack powers.

Hawkeye on the other hand, is a Perception Monkey (possibly elf, sense threat) Seeker.  (also possibly skald buffage, or hybrid executioner).  All those "special arrows"?  Seeker Encounter powers. 
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
Cap = Skald|Exe with a throwing shield!
Captain America: Skirmishing Warlord with Spiked Throwing Shield

Hulk: Barbarian/Brawling Fighter Hybrid

Iron Man: Artificer/Warlock Hybrid, for tinkering/blasting.

Black Widow: Two-Fisted Shooter Rogue

Hawk-eye: Seeker

Thor: STR/CHA Baladin of Kord(but really himself)

How does that look?
So I guess you missed the part where he was literally telling everyone what to do.  And he actually did say "Hulk... Smash".  He "comboed" at least once with Ironman (granted as a nod to Ultimate Alliance) which mechanically could have been Unleash Hell, Combined Arms Assault, Stay on Target or any other various granted attack powers.

Hawkeye on the other hand, is a Perception Monkey (possibly elf, sense threat) Seeker.  (also possibly skald buffage, or hybrid executioner).  All those "special arrows"?  Seeker Encounter powers. 

Telling the cops what to do != telling all of the Avengers what to do. Any directions he gives are equalled by directions given by the rest of the Avengers.
*** SPOILER FOR AVENGERS MOVIE ***

@ Bergtau

I think you're missing that in the Avengers movie the avengers do a huddle and captain america goes from person to person and clearly tells them what to do.  One by One.  As has been pointed out he actually says word for word "Hulk... Smash."  This is also not the first time that Cap acts in ways that is very reminescent of leader tactics, he does so in comics and other animated movies.

This is leader all the way, he even combines his shield and Iron Mans laser to do a wide arc attack against multiple foes.  This again screams warlord powers that have mechanics that resemble all of these things.  If you aren't going to actually know how the Cap does his thing, please refrain from telling those who do that they are wrong.

"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

@ Bergtau

I think you're missing that in the Avengers movie the avengers do a huddle and captain america goes from person to person and clearly tells them what to do.  One by One.  As has been pointed out he actually says word for word "Hulk... Smash."  This is also not the first time that Cap acts in ways that is very reminescent of leader tactics, he does so in comics and other animated movies.

This is leader all the way, he even combines his shield and Iron Mans laser to do a wide arc attack against multiple foes.  This again screams warlord powers that have mechanics that resemble all of these things.  If you aren't going to actually know how the Cap does his thing, please refrain from telling those who do that they are wrong.

A huddle before a combat is not reminiscent to me of leadering in combat D&D style. Saying "Hulk... smash." isn't a specific instruction akin to what a Warlord does. The laser-shield could also be argued to be something completely non-leader.

I could make an equally good argument for Iron Man being a leader, especially in how much he instructs Captain America on the airship.

Don't pretend that somebody who has a different opinion than you doesn't "know how the Cap does his thing" and is automatically wrong.
Sorry, man, but Cap is definitely some type of leader. Most likely Warlord. It wasn't just "Hulk... Smash!" either. He was telling everyone exactly what he wanted from them in a battle plan and finished it up with Hulk. And this is a very consistent portrayal of Captain America. I'm not even really sure Dexterity fits him as much as high strength, reasonably int (knowledge of tactics), and charisma (presence) with, perhaps, a slightly higher-than-average Con. It's why I picked Fighter/Warlord. He's the leader of the Avengers and if anyone has a tendency to draw fire to himself to protect his companions, it's Steve Rogers.

@ Bergtau

A huddle before a combat is not reminiscent to me of leadering in combat D&D style. Saying "Hulk... smash." isn't a specific instruction akin to what a Warlord does. The laser-shield could also be argued to be something completely non-leader.

I could make an equally good argument for Iron Man being a leader, especially in how much he instructs Captain America on the airship.

Don't pretend that somebody who has a different opinion than you doesn't "know how the Cap does his thing" and is automatically wrong.

But Iron Man telling Cap how a machine works is not being leadery, that's rolling a skill and telling someone how it works.  A character (wizard) rolling Arcana to tell another player (warlord) what his newly found longsword does is the same principle.  So ?

Also telling Hulk smash is exactly what commander's strike could be compared with.  He tells him to go smash and he does.

@ Bergtau

But Iron Man telling Cap how a machine works is not being leadery, that's rolling a skill and telling someone how it works.  A character (wizard) rolling Arcana to tell another player (warlord) what his newly found longsword does is the same principle.  So ?

Also telling Hulk smash is exactly what commander's strike could be compared with.  He tells him to go smash and he does.

He doesn't just tell him how a machine works, he tells him to do things with the machine. He tells him to check some things and CA says something like "It's powered by electricity" and is presumably given further instructions during the cut (when it comes back in, he's done doing whatever) and is then told to pull the red level on Iron Man's instruction.

As for "Hulk... smash.", I can't really remember the specifics of the part. I was at first thinking of a pre-fight huddle sort of thing, but that doesn't make any sense given that the Hulk was already Hulked at that point in time.

At best, I'd say Hybrid leader. Back to stats, on further consideration, he's a superhero anyway so he's got 18s in everything besides maybe Intellect and Wisdom.
He doesn't just tell him how a machine works, he tells him to do things with the machine. He tells him to check some things and CA says something like "It's powered by electricity" and is presumably given further instructions during the cut (when it comes back in, he's done doing whatever) and is then told to pull the red level on Iron Man's instruction.

Not nitpicking but this sounds exactly like a skill challenge in combat.  Cap't just has no applicable skills (no arcana) so he tries to sub in athletics a few times (re: jumping all over the place dodging bullets).

I am leaning toward Ironman being a Swordmage|Invoker.  Wis/Int to represent skills, reasonable defenses (warding), divine bolts, Zephyr Boots, etc. Maybe Warforged to represent the "iron" part without heavy armor.  The reason for the swordmage is,
well...
did you see how he Dimensional Vortexed that nuke?
 yeah...
Is there really a debate over Cap? You can lead without being a leader, certainly the only character with a chance of having a heal-others power is Iron Man, and that may as well be Comrades Succor or "he's the one with healing potions" for all it matters in the stories. Happily give Iron Man some variant of Swordmage, or maybe Battlemind though (he definitely knows how to mark)
Cap: Fighter
Thor: Fighter (ok, Warden fits better, but you'd MC for Overwhelming Impact)
Hulk: Fighter unless you want to reflavor a greatsword as his fists.
Hawkeye: If this were 3.5 he'd also be a fighter, as is, yeah, Ranger.
Black Widow: TFS Rogue, I could buy Monk.

Closest thing they had to a "leader" is Fury, and he may as well just be a level 15 Bureaucrat. Non-"Martial" characters are the exception in stories unless they are the rule, and then it's almost always arcane, healers are almost entirely just plot devices with a couple lines.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Capt. America, Warlord and Fighter

Iron Man, i wonder if Swordmage and Artificier is better

Black Widow, should be an Avenger and/or Monk something wis/dex based and stealthy 

Hawk-Eye, just make a Ranged Ranger

Thor, hammer and storm/lightning as long as they fit who cares what he is

Hulk, yes the fighter/babrbarian brawler and revanent goodness if that is at all possible 
When did being a good leader become about healing...?

Cap is very much a Warlord. Relative to his teammates (especially Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man), he doesn't contribute much at all in terms of direct effect on the enemy. Cap contributes by coordinating the team and giving them the example to follow into battle.

Flavor-wise, the Warlord heal isn't any type of medicine, it's just the inspiration to continue fighting even when things look dire. That is exactly what Cap does in the comics all the time.

There seems to be some consensus that he's at least half fighter...where does being a lockdown defender come from? Since when does Captain America try to draw fire to himself (the normal human) when his allies (the god, the robot, and the gargantuan rage-thing) are around?

I gotta go full Warlord on this one.
When did being a good leader become about healing...?

Cap is very much a Warlord. Relative to his teammates (especially Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man), he doesn't contribute much at all in terms of direct effect on the enemy. Cap contributes by coordinating the team and giving them the example to follow into battle.

Flavor-wise, the Warlord heal isn't any type of medicine, it's just the inspiration to continue fighting even when things look dire. That is exactly what Cap does in the comics all the time.

There seems to be some consensus that he's at least half fighter...where does being a lockdown defender come from? Since when does Captain America try to draw fire to himself (the normal human) when his allies (the god, the robot, and the gargantuan rage-thing) are around?

I gotta go full Warlord on this one.

Did you watch the movie or read any of the comic books? Cap is as much of a team player as any given x-man. When did being a good leader become about just providing CA? He runs around battering people with his shield, shooting them with guns (usually after grappling/disarming them), flanking, and generally being a distraction. When alongside the God of Thunder, a suit of Power Armor, and a guy strong enough to counter the momentum of a flying skyscraper, he appears a bit "everyman", but he's still a "Strong, Agile, Smart, Soldier." Having a decent Int and Wis with training in History and Insight doesn't make you a "Leader" by 4e terms
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

I'm honestly lost as to how you can say "He runs around battering people with his shield, shooting them with guns (usually after grappling/disarming them), flanking, and generally being a distraction" and then turn around and say that he's not a Warlord.

Captain America, to me, is pure Warlord, probably a Bravelord. Tough, capable, inspiring, leads by example, sets up his allies. Battlelord of America? Uses a Farbond Spellblade Spiked Shield.

Thor is a Brutal Barrage Battlemind/Lyrandar Wind-Rider, using a hammer. Tough, hits hard, can fly, and Lightning Rush seems like a Thor thing to do(because of the diving in to protect a squishier ally thing, not the name thing, though it is fitting).

The Hulk is a Barbarian|Fighter(Brawler). Grab somebody, pound them into goo. Then pound the goo.

Hawkeye is a Bow Ranger.

Black Widow is a TFS Rogue.

Iron Man is the hard one. I'd probably go with Artificer|Warlock, though. 

I'm still going to maintain Cap as a Skald|Exe. He gets up in there with his damage, isn't afraid to join the combat, leads by example (Skald aura effects), is doing 1d6+1d8+mod damage at lvl one with his shield. He's definitely a striker|leader and while in a perfect world other classes may 'fit' better, mechanically he gets more out of the Skald|Exe.

Iron Man is the hard one. I'd probably go with Artificer|Warlock, though. 

I was JUST going to say that. Artificer|Warlock/Self-Forged/Avangion. Avangion provides all the flying and radiant eldritch bolt lasers.
The hulk has a 1/day heal.  (which he forgot about, until the end, when he was flipping though his character sheet...)

Lazer+Shield is clearly death from two sides.  Cap is a warlord, probably cha-lord.

Iron man is a controller.  Forced movement, nearly all ranged attacks, and a bunch of AOE that can only be cast 1/day.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

and considering how Cap in his own origin movie spent the first (months year ?) doing shows to motivate people into spending money towards the war effort ?  Motivating troops ?  That's straight warlord.  CHA lord is also very acceptable.  Though i'd make it a hybrid lazy cha-lord | fighter.  Maybe even brawler fighter considering that he almost always has a free hand.

Hulk is definetely rage beast, however a lot of you seem to be forgetting that one of the main attributes of the Hulk is that he doesn't take damage.  Bullets bounce off him like they are nothing.  I think a case could be make that he would be a Berserker.   The hulk gets bigger and stronger the more angry he becomes but he also gets tougher to damage.  He's not just a power house of damage.

Iron Man I like the Artificer | warlock / self forged / avangion.  After looking at the build itself that really does fit with Iron man.  Flying, lasers, being self forged is pretty cool too.  I change my vote to this.

Thor being a Brutal Barrage Battlemind/Lyrandar Wind-Rider.  See the thing is that Thor himself can't actually fly.  He spins the hammer and launches it which makes him fly through the air and the hammer does all the work.  So I'm not sure how we could translate that.  Maybe just fluff.  But I will admit that the battlemind does have quite a bit of lightning .

I think everyone agrees on what Black Widow should be, TFS rogue.  But I agree that a monk could also be acceptable considering that Black Widow focuses on a lot of movement based melee combat / martial arts.  So I guess personal preference here however the rogue really does not offer anything  that is comparable to what Black Widow does in the comics / movies in melee combat or movement or martial arts.  Unless you do massive re-fluff.

Hawkeye is the bow ranger.

Does the OP want some builds ?

Does the OP want some builds ? 

I would love to see your build of Capt. America. I've been trying to piece together something but efforts have been fruitless. I was thinking about how he should be dealing damage with his shield, his unarmed strikes and still being leader-y. I might be aiming for too much though I do like the idea of Deft Hurler+Cleave+Farbond Spellblade Spiked Shield.

But from a optimization point of view, isn't Warlord bad because of their Cha primary which is a fighter's dump stat? And the other half IS going to be fighter as it has brawler and shield powers. Unless someone can point out something more appropriate.

I've also thought about using a pure sword and board fighter and changing things around as the spiked shield is a light blade and a shield. So the feats will be centered around light blades, shields and heavy thrown/ranged basic attacks. That's the closest I could find to being efficient.

Just my 2cents. 
Also, I'd be very interested in what the minimum level you could play this party at and still get the essence of what the characters do. You don't need to be able to pull off all the tricks from the movie, but things like Hulk's resistance, Cap's shield throwing, and Thor and Iron Man's flying are musts.