Elemental Chaos: Epic Destinies

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I was just leafing through some of the Elemental Chaos. I have to say, I was rather impressed. A lot of great fluff, cool new themes, and some fun new builds. I've always enjoyed making thematic characters, so being able to develop "dedicated" Elemental builds obviously sat very well with me.

The only thing I was a little disappointed in was the lack of Epic Destinies. I was hoping for more than two... even four would have sufficed. But that being said, Emergent Elemental is pretty awesome. Definitely want to make some form of character who ends up being the reincarnation of a long-dead Primoridal. :3

But this post mainly has to deal with the other proposed Epic Destiny... the Lord of Chaos. I was VERY excited when I saw the title, but because it sounded really badass; but after scanning it, I got the feeling that it really wasn't all that great of an ED. The Shakti seems underwhelming, Whim of Creation seems SUPER limited for an environment-altering ED Utility (Planeshaper, anyone?), standard Reincarnate feature, and a Crit Bonus Effect. I mean, is there something missing here? Some sort of combo I'm not seeing? I was really tempted to make a Wild Sorcerer who eventually becomes a Lord of Chaos; but now? I'm not so sure.
Epic destinies have always had huge differences in their respective power levels, but after the power books (martial power, arcane power, etc), the majority of epic destinies printed took an absolutely mammoth drop in power relative to what was printed before. Many now are barely more powerful than a paragon path and have level 30 features that border on pathetic. So no, you aren't missing anything, I'm afraid.
its reaaaaaly hard for me to take anything but destined scion. ive taken eternal seeker and topaz crusader for a couple of builds but destined scion to me is as good as it gets

elemental chaos had some good stuff, some not so good, but overall i liked the flavor of pretty much everything. i do think it suffered (like the other heroes books) from its playtesting and trying too hard not to have anything overpowered. they succeeded, but overdid it. so a lot of things are just super weak. so weak i wouldnt take them in a million years. so weak they are almost traps for new players
Emergent Primordial would be very cool, if it weren't for the fact that the U26 is broken (and not in the good way) on weapon classes.

But yeah, Destined Scion is dull as heck, but just that good.  There aren't many that compete with two stat bumps and +1 to hit.

Some of the ones that do, though - Topaz Crusader, Shiradi Champion (immune to blind and charm is just niiiiiice), Eternal Defender (large weapons are just funny), Ceaseless Guardian (why, yes, I would like to keep right on punishing after you've Stunned me, thanks)...  There are also some very nice arcane ones, but they tend to be more for TheOp fiddly builds rather than practical play?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Emergent Primordial would be very cool, if it weren't for the fact that the U26 is broken (and not in the good way) on weapon classes.

But yeah, Destined Scion is dull as heck, but just that good.  There aren't many that compete with two stat bumps and +1 to hit.

Some of the ones that do, though - Topaz Crusader, Shiradi Champion (immune to blind and charm is just niiiiiice), Eternal Defender (large weapons are just funny), Ceaseless Guardian (why, yes, I would like to keep right on punishing after you've Stunned me, thanks)...  There are also some very nice arcane ones, but they tend to be more for TheOp fiddly builds rather than practical play?

I keep hearing of this Topaz Crusader. What book is it from?
Begin at the beginning and go on till you reach the end: then stop.

I keep hearing of this Topaz Crusader. What book is it from?

psionic power if im not mistaken
Epic destinies have always had huge differences in their respective power levels, but after the power books (martial power, arcane power, etc), the majority of epic destinies printed took an absolutely mammoth drop in power relative to what was printed before. Many now are barely more powerful than a paragon path and have level 30 features that border on pathetic. So no, you aren't missing anything, I'm afraid.

I think part of the reason was before thy were trying to compete with Demigod, and then they finally errata'd demigod.
Sign In to post comments