The Walker Deck Redux: Spell-sling Harder.

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay! Bienvenue and welcome!
As some of you might remember, ages and ages past (okay, it was like 8 months ago) I created a thread in which we would post our personal versions of the decks we built around the trademark characters that pop up on the field next to our creatures.
It went over well enough, and with Tibalt and Tamiyo debuting so recently, I thought it would be a good time to dredge up the thread. But I didn't have enough black mana to necro the thread.

First and foremost, this thread should be about flavor in the decks. Unfortunately there is the downside that the more flavorful a deck is, chances are it's sacrificing playability for it. So, this is where you can post your decks, not only to bask in flavory goodness, but also take suggestions for how to improve the deck without corrupting the all important flavor base. Additionally, suggestions for how you think a deck should be played would also be welcomed after gaining a gander at the decklist.

So, shall I start or would one of you fine gentlemen/ladies like to make a go?

I have a few problem decks myself, so I'd be inclined to start with those in hopes of getting suggestions.
I dabble in constructing decks like this. I don't think I have any of the lists on my computer, though... Let me get back to you on this. Love the idea
Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.
Here's what I imagine Tamiyo's deck looks like:

Moonlight Control

Tamiyo plays a draw-go control deck. A well-stocked library of scrolls and atlases means her hand is fully stocked at all times, while a variety of filtering spells let her reorganize and index her knowledge. Her human and soratami attendants assist her, and Jenrik's haunted tower and a suite of counterspells protect her while she's studying. When it's time to end the game, Tamiyo calls on the power of the moon spirits of Kamigawa to send her opponent beyond the mortal realm.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

The only problems I see with the story aspect is that Mochi was most definitely eaten by the Oni of All Consuming Chaos and the mortal legends are probably dead. Still you clearly get what I'm talking about with decks, so high five man!
Anyways, here's my variant:

Planar Dreams
19 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds

1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

3 Dreamcatcher
3 Floating-Dream Zubera
3 Shape Stealer
Niblis of the Breath
2 Cloud Elemental
2 Tower Geist
2 Quillmane Baku
2 Battleground Geist
2 Teller of Tales

2 Ponder
2 Curiousity
2 Counsel of the Soratami
3 Freed from the Real
1 Honden of Seeing Winds
1 Dream Leash

Explorer's Scope
Adventurer's Gear
1 Baku Altar

This Tamiyo deck is a lot more about keeping the field locked up and swinging for small damage, either to pick up extra cards or get lands onto the field. The Adventurer's Gear is there to make best use of Oboro's ability to bounce back and fourth.
You might also note that there is a subtheme theme in this deck, one of "Dreams" with the Zubera, the leash, the catchers, and finally the Baku (fun fact, Baku ate the nightmares of children).
I stuck with spirit tribal in part because of the mention of Jenrik's Tower, but also because of the very present spirit base already there in Kamigawa. the only problem I have is that... well, I'm two cards under. Can anyone think of something to add? I've decided to avoid counterspells because there just isn't enough space.

I've given it a few runs against my friend, and it won a few games, and even the games it lost, it made him work HARD for those wins, so I know this is a viable deck, it just needs a little final polish...
I've been working on a whole mess load of duel decks for every pairing that I think is even remotely possible, so I think I might post a few lists when I'm satisfied with the results.

Here's my pairings so far.

Tezzeret versus Jace

I figure that Tezzeret was kind of an agent of Bolas in this point I am told, so it's not as much of a compromise of flavor as one might originally think.
I chose Memory Adept over Mind-Sculptor because Mind-Sculptor is a butthead milling is cool.

Sarkhan versus Ajani

Not really something I'm outright predicting, but I like how since their last meeting, Ajani has come to terms with himself and risen from his angry south, and Sarkhan has sold out his integrity and is Bolas' pet.

Nissa versus Sorin

I think it's inevitable. For the longest time, I was under the impression that Nissa 2.0 would be in Innistrad, because its super obvious its coming (she's got different art in her D12 profile!!!), and then it didn't happen, and I was sad. This one's on my backburner because I'm still waiting for her hopefully green-black card to give me a more variable spell base.

I'm inclined to stick with Markov over Lord of Innistrad because Sorin's more altruistic tendencies only seem to boil to the surface at home. Otherwise he's much more typical anti-heroic doing good because it benefits him not to allow the multiverse to be eaten by horrible squid monsters from beyond the stars than because of pulls of morality. I might cave if I think a white-black base allows for a more interesting (and equally flavorful) deck.

Chandra versus Gideon

Lover's quarrel. <3

Lover's quarrel. <3

Do you remember that "Duet Decks" April Fools joke they had one year? It featured Gideon and ..... Liliana.
Lover's quarrel. <3

Do you remember that "Duet Decks" April Fools joke they had one year? It featured Gideon and ..... Liliana.

I have nothing to say to you. >:I
Mirran Defiance

Setting the Stage: Surrounding Razor Grass Fields of Bladehold
17 Plains
3 Tectonic Edge
3 Dread Statuary
1 Contested War Zone

Protector of Mirrodin, fueled by her hatred of Phyrexia (and all things evil):
1 Elspeth Tirel

Summons of Elspeth (or various creatures that inhabit the Razorgrass Fields):
1 Indomitable Archangel
1 Sun Titan (Promo version--makes it look more artifact/machine-like)

Army of Bladehold:
1 Hero of Bladehold (leader of the army, calling on her tribes' true conviction in battle)
1 True Conviction (representing the larger army consisting of members of the Auriok tribe)

Equipment of War:
1 Sword of Vengeance
1 Sword of War and Peace
2 Darksteel Plate
1 Argentum Armor
1 Mox Opal
2 Semblance Anvil
3 Tempered Steel

Karn's Constructs heeding the call to defend his Creation:
4 Memnite
3 Ornithopter
3 Steel Overseer
4 Etched Champion
3 Lodestone Golem
1 Darksteel Juggernaut
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Chimeric Mass
Planar Predation

Setting the Stage: The winding mountainous paths, misty forests and farmlands of the plains between the towns of Gavony and Kessig
7 Forest
4 Mountain
4 Plains
3 Rootbound Crag
3 Sunpetal Grove
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Gavony Township
1 Cavern of Souls (rumored to be the location where werewolves find themselves right before their first full transformation)

Predator of Planar Proportions:
1 Garruk Relentless//Garruk, the Veil-Cursed (the people of Innistrad mistakenly believe that he has the werewolf affliction, which has its advantages--in terms of gaining aid from the werewolves of Innistrad and disadvantages--in terms of becoming the victim of being hunted himself)

Garruk's Summons (or various creatures indigenous to the area), Spells and Weapons:
1 Immerwolf
3 Beast Within (Garruk enjoys Hulking Out occasionally)
2 Mage Slayer (Garruk would love to slay a certain "mage" that has been a thorn in his side)

Fellow Hunters, aiding our planeswalker to find his prey (Liliana of the Veil):
2 Ulvenwald Tracker
2 Daybreak Ranger//Nightfall Predator
1 Huntmaster of the Fells//Ravager of the Fells

Gavony Townsfolk (and a secret order of protectors that train and hide young werewolves):
2 Mentor of the Meek
2 Gaddock Teeg (this is just a Gavony advisor who is an imp and has the same name as a well known Kithkin on another plane)
2 Rule of Law

Various Werewolves that Garruk encounters during his long hunt on Innistrad:
4 Mayor of Avabruck//Howlpack Alpha
1 Gatstaf Shepherd//Gatstaf Howler
3 Kruin Outlaw//Terror of Kruin Pass
2 Instigator Gang//Wildblood Pack

Werewolf Affliction (both a blessing and a curse):
3 Moonmist
1 Second Sunrise (Attempting to kill a werewolf right as it's transforming back into a human...not a good idea)
1 Full Moon's Rise (Once in a blue moon)
1 Curse of Stalked Prey (Garruk can smell the blood of his prey)
1 Asceticism (represents the tradition of a werewolf going into the woods and succumbing to the soul of nature)

The Final Showdown:
1 Triumph of Ferocity
I won't harp too stongly about your elspeth deck, but that "garruk" deck is... all sorts of wrong. I mean, you could make an excuse for black/green, but that isn't a garruk deck, that's a deck with garruk in it. It totally misses the themes of the character and relies entirely too much on werewolf-ism. I can believe it's a story deck, but it's definitely not representative of Garruk at all.

Anyone have any suggestions for what to fill the gap in my Tamiyo deck with? (Modern suggestions only.)
I won't harp too stongly about your elspeth deck, but that "garruk" deck is... all sorts of wrong. I mean, you could make an excuse for black/green, but that isn't a garruk deck, that's a deck with garruk in it. It totally misses the themes of the character and relies entirely too much on werewolf-ism. I can believe it's a story deck, but it's definitely not representative of Garruk at all.

You don't like Team Jacob?

I also strongly agree with you on being flexible and strongly disagree (with no intention of arguing my side at all) with your assertion that I completely missed being representative of Garruk. I will concede that due to the story elements I did miss out on fully representing him.

I also strongly agree with you on being flexible and strongly disagree (with no intention of arguing my side at all) with your assertion that I completely missed being representative of Garruk. I will concede that due to the story elements I did miss out on fully representing him.

Like I said, it's a story deck. It's a deck you constructed to tell a story, but what it isn't is a deck that Garruk would use. It's about Garruk, but it isn't piloted with him on the forefront.
This is a deck about what happened to Garruk, not Garruk's deck.

Like I said, it's a story deck. It's a deck you constructed to tell a story, but what it isn't is a deck that Garruk would use. It's about Garruk, but it isn't piloted with him on the forefront.
This is a deck about what happened to Garruk, not Garruk's deck.

That's fine.

I'm not interpreting the deck in such a way that fully complements what you are looking for, but both decks I posted have a flavor aspect to them, regardless.

I really don't like confining myself to just what spells a planeswalker would sling. It's more about the full experience (or alternatively the planeswalker's experience): The plane, the plane's culture, the storyline (and any personal interpretations), the setting, etc.
I felt that Tamiyo was more of a 'sit back and study' planeswalker, and her card is suited towards a controlling strategy. That's why I decided to make her deck draw-go. I'm not a huge story buff or anything, so I didn't know some of the legends were dead.

Barinellos, your deck doesn't seem to have any way to stop early aggression, and your creatures are small and vulnerable to removal. It seems like a deck full of Elite Vanguards and Grizzly Bears would wreck it. I'd suggest running 2 Consuming Vortex so you can bounce your opponent's guys and save your own.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Here is my preliminary Garruk deck, based off of an idea I have had with him for a while.  Help is appreciated ^_^

The idea is fairly simple: play forests, summon creatures, draw cards to make sure you have a steady flow of creatures.  It takes a turn or 2 to get started but when it does you have a constant flow of cards to make sure you never miss a land drop and so even if you get hit with a sweeper you'll be able to recover fairly fast.

Every creature (bar the elf) that this deck produces will trigger both Wirewood Savage and Garruk's Packleader, lategame Rampaging Baloths plus Rampant Growth or a morbidified Caravan Vigil nets you a card, Garruk, Primal Hunter becomes +1 have a creature and draw two cards fairly reliably . . . on the whole I think it should at the very least be funny from a colour pie perspective to run mono green with this much draw power and I feel that it captures the wild man feel of Garruk.

I have always preferred Wild Hunter to the other Garruk cards, and so I build a deck that does what he does.  Make creatures, draw cards, thump.  

I know that the elves are an odd addition, but my excuse is that according to the information on him he only objects to people that don't understand him and if anyone would understand Garruk it would be a Wirewood Savage.
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
Barinellos' Deck:
I agree with Cheekyong that, barring the use of counterspells, you could add in some early bounce effects to deter early-game rushes, and to just give you a little more influence over the battlefield. Alternatively, have you considered artifacts, such as Puppet Strings or Icy Manipulator?

My Decks:
As for me, I continue to keep a collection of Planeswalker decks in a longbox as my main casual decks. They're still fun, though they tend not to change too much from set-to-set. I currently have:

Elspeth Tirel, a captain of soldiers and their equipment
Jace Beleren, the mind-mage who fights with spells and summons against his foes very thoughts
Liliana Vess, a necromancer who controls with death and reanimation
Chandra Nalaar, the erratic pyromancer whose answer to everything is fire
Garruk Wildspeaker, a ferocious summoner of beasts
Nicol Bolas, the scheming dragon-planeswalker who wields the power of the Maelstrom
Tezzeret of Tidehollow, master of etherium, and the greatest artificer known

I will also point out that, unlike the other people in this thread, I take the view of these decks being the arsenal of the planeswalker themself--therefore they cannot summon themselves to battle (why, say, there is no Jace in the Jace deck). However, the Schemer does have both of his agents available to be summoned.

If there are any decks people are interested in, I will gladly post them! But I don't want to post seven decks at once because that's overwhelming :p 
"There are probably seven persons, in all, who really like my work; and they are enough. I should write even if I were the only patient reader, for my aim is merely self-expression." ~H.P. Lovecraft

My Colors Are Green and Blue I value respect, honesty, acceptance, and trust. I love to tell stories and to experience new things. At my best, I am compassionate and creative. At my worst, I am detached and submissive. My enemies are Black and White.

While I totally see where you are coming from with that, I view it as being like the commander in EDH,  hence the inclusion.
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
I felt that Tamiyo was more of a 'sit back and study' planeswalker, and her card is suited towards a controlling strategy. That's why I decided to make her deck draw-go. I'm not a huge story buff or anything, so I didn't know some of the legends were dead.

Barinellos, your deck doesn't seem to have any way to stop early aggression, and your creatures are small and vulnerable to removal. It seems like a deck full of Elite Vanguards and Grizzly Bears would wreck it. I'd suggest running 2 Consuming Vortex so you can bounce your opponent's guys and save your own.

Eh, there are only two slots though. As I've learned with my Jace deck, without a healthy amount of cards dedicated to it, bounce and counter doesn't really play well. You can't do it consistently enough when you need to unless you sink a lot of space into those cards.

As for the legends, Kamigawa happened about a thousand years prior to our current time. Most of the legendary spirits (aside from Mochi) would still be.... umm, alive? The mortals though, not so much.

I know that the elves are an odd addition, but my excuse is that according to the information on him he only objects to people that don't understand him and if anyone would understand Garruk it would be a Wirewood Savage.

Only real problem with that is that there isn't any wirewood left, much left elves in the wirewood. (from a strictly story POV. Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you to change it.)
It sort of reminds me of a combo I put in my Garruk deck that you might like too. Rampaging Baloths + Perilous Forays + Garruk's Packleader = tons of cards.

Incidentally, Wild Defiance isn't very good in this deck. It only triggers off of Giant Growth. I suppose it deters burn, but still, it takes a lot out of your hands to make it useful.
Oh I DO like that combo.

And ah, that is . . . Rather inconsiderate of the wirewoods >_> going and dying out when I want them.

I could easily find replacements for them in fairness. them and the wild defiance, which I agree with you on I think I fell in love with the idea more than the practicality.

I also have a Primal Surge build in the works but I'm ironing out the mana ramping since it won't run any other instant or sorcery but I think it would be a suitable finisher for Garruk to drop a veritable army of creatures and charge
Show
Yeah, I have a fondness for Wild Defiance too. I have a few more instants in my Garruk deck, so I might be able to use it, but I think I'll end up in the same place as you.
Incidentally, you might want to try Primal Bellow rather than Giant Growth. It's what I use and I can get some genuinely amazing damage off it and Overwhelming Stampede.

Anyways, don't worry too much if the elves are dead, that's just something that *I'D* get hung up on, it isn't something you'd have to concern yourself with.

And yeah, I could see a lot of creatures dropping in for Garruk. There's actually another component to the Baloth/Forays combo. Herd Gnarr gets super charged by it.
What do you think of running a copy or two of Vigor in the deck?  It seems like it could help to pump my creatures and while I do not know much about the Lorwyn Incarnations, if anyone could inspire something to incarnate itself as a giant green wildebeat/turtle hybrid . . . THING then I'm sure it would be Garruk
Show
These are the walker decks I've been experiencing the most problems with: Karn, Gideon, Sorin, and Tamiyo.

This one is about tapping and swinging in for some small damage with blue spirits, trying to keep the hand full and playing around a little with Oboro to boost with the adventuring gear. It's still very experimental, so I'm open to suggestions on some of these choices. So, yeah, let me know what changes you'd make, like ratio or suggestions for cards to put in. It's running at about a 1 to 2 win-loss ratio. Like to bump that up to at least a 1-1 ratio.
Gideon

[deck]
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
17 Plains
2 Warden of the Wall

1 Gideon Jura

3 Gideon's Lawkeeper
3 Perimeter Captain
3 Ghost Warden
3 Stalwart Shield-Bearers
3 Reinforced Bulwark
1 Gideon's Avenger
1 Wakestone Gargoyle
2 Tireless Missionaries
1 Manor Gargoyle

2 Righteousness
3 Smite
2 Steeling Stance
3 Valor Made Real

1 Honor of the Pure
2 Spirit Mantle
2 Heart of Light
2 Prison Term
2 Guardian's Magemark[/deck]

Seeing it typed out, I see where some of these problems come from at not being able to mount an offense, but at the same time, there's some in there that I don't want to drop. Tireless Missionaries can go, as it's been the first one on my chopping block for a while. Aside from that, looking at some of the instants makes me realize I probably have a few too many of them in there. I want to directly avoid angels as big swingy fliers, but you'll notice a fair number of gargoyles in there. It's a theme I like.
Karn

[deck]
3 Forest
3 Mountains
3 Swamp
3 Plains
3 Island
1 Urza's Factory
1 Urza's Power Plant
1 Urza's Mine
1 Urza's Tower
1 Academy Ruins

1 Karn Liberated

4 Myr Servitor
2 Gold Myr
2 Silver Myr
2 Iron Myr
2 Alloy Myr
3 Myr Galvanizer
1 Clockwork Condor
1 Precursor Golem
1 Memnarch
1 Platinum Empirion

4 Galvanic Blast
3 Clockspinning
2 Telling Time
3 War Report
1 Distant Memories
1 Time Reversal

1 Vigil for the Lost
1 Genesis Chamber
2 Shrine of Loyal Legions
1 Legacy Weapon
1 Darksteel Forge[/deck]

This one has very specific cards I'm looking to replace. The Galvanic Blast and Iron Myr both need to go, with one Iron Myr being replaced with another Alloy Myr. The Clockwork Condor needs to go too, even though it plays well with Clockspinning. I just don't like Darksteel Forge in this deck. So I'm very specifically trying to replace those for something in the mid game.
Sorin

[deck]
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Crypt of Agadeem
10 Swamp
2 Kabira Crossroads
6 Plains

1 Sorin Markov

3 Typhoid Rats
2 Wall of Bone
2 Screeching Bat
2 Markov Patrician
1 Sangromancer
1 Bloodline Keeper
1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope

2 Vampire's Bite
2 Sign in Blood
3 Go for the Throat
2 Sorin's Thirst
3 Exsanguinate
2 Diabolic Tutor
2 Rise from the Grave
1 Increasing Devotion
1 Hex

3 Vampiric Link
2 Recumbent Bliss
1 Luminarch Ascension
1 Story Circle
1 Sanguine Bond
1 Exquisite Blood[/deck]

This one is at once the most flavorful and the most vexing for me. The creature base isn't there, in part because I honestly can't find much that I really like for Sorin. I'm really open to suggestions with this one, though I'm guessing you guys can work out which cards aren't likely to go and which ones are fine leaving the deck.

Anyways, sorry to drop all these decks on you guys to parse, but... well, I've grown tired of messing around with them myself, and I'm hoping a fresh perspective will offer new insight.
Thanks for anything you can offer me.
Ok well I have a few ideas, I have tried to keep them fairly thematic but I can promise nothing really since I'm a) not the best deckbuilder and b) not the best with flavor . . .

Remind me why I am offering advice on this again? Anyway here goes:

Tamiyo - I think that the main addition that I would be looking at is Sturmgeist as it is a blue spirit with draw power that goes nicely with our lunar lady's emblem to grow to exponential sizes and, of course, it has flying to make sure that that damage hits home. I think that really it could be the finisher for this deck.

Gideon - I mentioned this in the casual section when you posted up but I think that Niblis of the Urn would be nice as it does tapping and swinging fairly well. Failing that, and avoiding angels, the archons would fit with what I know of Gideon's philosophy on the world and Dearly Departed hits nicely and worst case scenario it is pumping the many humans that you have in the deck. Other thoughts are Stormfront Riders and Sunblast Angel, I know you wanted to avoid angels but with all the tapping you have it seemed like a strong addition. Tumble Magnet and Yosei, the Morning Star also deserve a mention.

Karn - Not really sure on much to suggest here beyond being surprised at the lack of a) memnites and b) Skyship Weatherlight which could set off a whole new theme really.

Sorin - Having seen you mention a few bits about your Sorin deck before I did get to thinking and in all honesty I think that you have the right direction for flavour.  Sorin is a vampire, and since we are post mending he has to drink.  Life drain is the way I would have taken this and the Exquisite Bond combo is in all honesty the most effective way to pull this off.  I have some theories as to how to make it work, but I will ask that you give me a day or so to work our a few kinks.
Show
It seems like the defender theme in Gideon's deck is meant to represent his protective and defensive heiromancy? That same message might also be well-conveyed with more spot removal in the same veins as Prison Term. I don't know how much of a problem the deck has had with noncreature threats, but Oblivion Ring looks like it could serve admirably in here. This approach also allows the deck to act more aggressively when it's able to, especially since this means you can replace some of your defender creatures with more aggressive soldiers.

In particular, Wakestone Gargoyle looks a little sub-par in here, since even when your defenders can attack, it will only be with what little collective power they can glean off of a few wide-ranging effects like Steeling Stance and Honor of the Pure, and the latter won't even hit your Reinforced Bulwarks. The Bulwark, incidentally, also looks less than stellar to me. But the Perimeter Captain and the Stalwart Shield-Bearers look like they might only need each other to pull their weight; it's at least worth a little playtesting to see. Maybe eight cards would be enough to feel like a presence in the deck? Especially when they hold some amount of tactical spotlight on the battlefield more than other creatures.

Valor Made Real next to Righteousness and Smite is cute, and feels very on-theme. These are combos Gideon would feel good about himself after pulling.

Guardian's Magemark would look nicer if it had something other than Spirit Mantle to work with. Auramancy seems like a reasonable subtheme for Gideon, so you could throw in a little bit more. Or you could just drop the magemarks entirely. But as-is they look a little sad and lonely.

Also... why does each deck have the planeswalker themselves in the deck? Isn't this supposed to be the deck that given walker would use? Can one summon oneself?
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
Not so much they can summon themselves as step onto the field to directly do stuff. Otherwise I'd need to put copies of their abilities in there and that's a healthier card investment than just the walker.

I definitely need to drop at least one Valor Made Real, I didn't realize I had more of them in there. The Steeling Stance could also probably be replaced by Marshaling Cry to do what I want better, because like 9/10ths of the time I don't bother forecasting the card anyways and it'd help to cycle when I needed something else. Of course, the problem there is being socrcery speed.
Thought of adding Gargoyle Sentinel in.

So I'll probably drop one valor made real, one reinforced bulwark, and both tireless missionaries for sure.

@Cog: Yosei is right out. Legendary means a no go unless there's a strooooooong connection.
As for the rest, they just don't seem like cards Gideon would use. They just feel off.

About Sorin: Yeah, I've pretty well decided to throw out the Story Circle and Luminarch Ascenion, but I've also gutted the creatures out down to Avacyn. So what I'm most fervently looking for are creatures that feel right there. It's tough. Hell, I'd even considered going the way of making it a creatureless deck, but that banks a little too hard on me dumping creature kill in, which would slaughter me in multiplayer.

About Tamiyo: I'd considered Sturmgeist, but honestly I continually worry about not getting the draw to go off and ending up with it being a dead draw in late game. It has potential, but not stability.
For your Sorin deck, have you considered adding blood tithe and blood tribute? bloodchief ascension seems to be an appropriate card as well, and can get the combo to go off. bloodrite invoker is the only creature I can think of that would fit well.

Yeah, I kicked out Blood Tribute for favor of Exquisite Blood. It has less moving parts and can wipe out everyone rather than just the one player.
Blood Tithe was in there for a while, but I'm not entirely sure what ended up knocking it out. I think I might have kicked it in favor of more creatures.

Bloodrite Invoker does fit mechanically, providing I can get the mana up for it and don't draw out a spell at some point.

I've been having some trouble with the speed of the Garruk Deck I built, can anyone suggest some flavourful ramp for it?
Show
I've been having some trouble with the speed of the Garruk Deck I built, can anyone suggest some flavourful ramp for it?

Hunting Wilds seems excellent flavour.
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane
Quite expensive though, it's more getting to that level of mana I'm struggling with

Ideally I would like a card for turn 1 akin to the ever lovable llanowar elf but that's probably dreaming a little
Show
You mean you struggle to get to four mana? That seems odd to me, looks like you're playing enough lands to get to four easily. You could suppliment your Rampant Growths with Nature's Lore maybe? Overgrown Battlement?
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane
It isn't a lack of reliably hitting land drops so much add I'm too crowded in my three spot, and that is the earliest I'm really doing anything.

If I drop something like the triumph of ferocity in favour of some ramp to get me to three quicker I think it should smooth it out
Show
Khalni heart expedition might be another choice for you as well. It is a delayed land pull, but for 2 mana you get 2 lands out of it when it goes off. There arent many 1 drop mana creators available, and almost all of them are creatures.
Khalni heart expedition might be another choice for you as well. It is a delayed land pull, but for 2 mana you get 2 lands out of it when it goes off. There arent many 1 drop mana creators available, and almost all of them are creatures.

By the time you get to use it, you already have five mana is the thing.
If it's your only land pull perhaps. My previous mono-green deck would run 4 expeditions, 4 harrows, and 3 growth spasms. More often than not I'd end up with 6 lands on turn 3.
Its not turn five that barrinellos meant, its that you need two to cast it then to drop three more lands giving you five mana already
Show
I've been trialling this as a Sorin deck with some success.

It has a couple of wincons, all of which are based on draining life.  

I know that Sorin is not particularly fond of most of the Innistrad vampires but Blood artist fits the theme of the deck so well that I was reluctant to leave him out.

Show

I feel like that creature list is way way too sparse. You have essentially 6 creatures and chances are, even when gaining life, you're probably going to end up punched in the face an awful lot.

Your mana curve is also just awful, relying so heavily on late game cards. You might end up so far behind that you won't be able to get back unless you pull up a tutor and already have a piece of your combo out.

Essentially, an aggro deck or ramp will kick your teeth in before you get a chance to bite. Aside from that, this really might as well be a mono-black deck because the only thing in there that benefits is Avacyn...

Trust me, I know how rough this one is....
That being said, an awful lot of your decklist is similar to mine, with difference primarily in quantity and curve.
Then again, I've gutted mine until Issue 2 of Spell Thief comes out. That should give me a gaze at what Sorin is willing to use.

I figured from Teeth of Akoum that Sorin holds a very low opinion of all vampirekind, hence his willingness to mind control Anowon without a second thought.

Thusly, in every draft I ever attempted of Nissa v Sorin duel deck, Sorin's deck was primarily vampire tribal to varying extents.
I figured from Teeth of Akoum that Sorin holds a very low opinion of all vampirekind, hence his willingness to mind control Anowon without a second thought.

Thusly, in every draft I ever attempted of Nissa v Sorin duel deck, Sorin's deck was primarily vampire tribal to varying extents.

Brady has told us straight up that he has no compulsions about mind controlling anything.
But it just doesn't sit well with me because whenever I look on the cards, they don't LOOK compelled to do anything.

My Bolas deck is going to get some new toys to play with. I don't think Garruk or Liliana will benefit a damn from anything in m13 and Healer of the Pride is only going to be thrown in because Marisi's TwinClaws has the same power. Sunstriker is just... bland doesn't even start. It's puny and will die right off without so much as a how's your mother.
The thing with the list is that I would prefer to make it mono black, but not having Avacyn in Sorin's decklist just seems . . . wrong.

I was tempted to run Innistrad Sorin but he really wants a swarmy deck and I just . . . it doesn't seem right when usually he'll just kill whatever he comes across himself.
Show