Vexing Devil + Bazaar Trader

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vexing Devil
Bazaar Trader

Am I correct in surmising that if I use Bazaar Trader in response to the ETB trigger to give my Vexing Devil to an opponent (presumably one who doesn't know the rules as well as I do), and that opponent takes the 4 damage, the Vexing Devil will survive since I'm the one who controls the triggered ability, and thus cannot sacrifice a permanent I do not control?

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

yes, but you will have to give it to someone before you know the decisions of your opponents
proud member of the 2011 community team
Yes, that's correct. 
but you will have to give it to someone before you know the decisions of your opponents

Well, that's a given. The main thing I wanted/needed answered here (which it was) was whether or not the new controller of the creature sacrificed it or if it was still the controller of the triggered ability who would (try to) sacrifice it, in the event somebody did take the 4 damage.

Thank you for the quick confrmations.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)

After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Woah, woah woah.

"Any opponent may have it deal 4 damage....."

Hmmm, misread the premise of the thread.  Nevermind, carry on.
he still controls the trigger
so the opponent (who now controls the devil) can choose to take 4 damage, he just can't sacrifice it.
proud member of the 2011 community team
Woah, woah waoh.

"Any opponent may have it deal 4 damage....."

Just as it would not be sacced because they are not their own opponent, they also cannot choose to take the 4.  This is application of the English language as far as I can see.  One can not be true without the other also being true. 

They can choose to take the 4, because the triggered ability is looking for opponents of the player who controls the ability, not opponents of the player who controls the Devil.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Vexing Devil
Bazaar Trader

Am I correct in surmising that if I use Bazaar Trader in response to the ETB trigger to give my Vexing Devil to an opponent (presumably one who doesn't know the rules as well as I do), and that opponent takes the 4 damage, the Vexing Devil will survive since I'm the one who controls the triggered ability, and thus cannot sacrifice a permanent I do not control?

But if said opponent is less dumb than you think, he'll decline and keep Devil: you'll end up giving away the creature... 

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

Vexing Devil
Bazaar Trader

But if said opponent is less dumb than you think, he'll decline and keep Devil: you'll end up giving away the creature... 

That's not an insurmountable problem: Homeward Path

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Extension of question:

Would doing the same thing during a Two-Headed Giant game, except giving the creature to your partner, have the same outcome? I'm pretty sure it would since creatures are controlled by the individual players, and I would assume that it's impossible for you to sacrifice your partner's creatures.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Sure, but savvy opponents will know that and opt not to take the 4 damage.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

Okay. Even if they don't take the 4 damage, I'm sure most would agree that keeping a 4/3 for an overall investment of 3 mana isn't that bad. There are better things to spend the mana on, but I don't really care.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Okay. Even if they don't take the 4 damage, I'm sure most would agree that keeping a 4/3 for an overall investment of 3 mana isn't that bad.

Try Shambling Remains. Fewer cards required and you even get another attack after it dies.

Try Shambling Remains. Fewer cards required and you even get another attack after it dies.

There are better things to spend the mana on, but I don't really care.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green