Protecting a mount

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not quite sure where to post this, this seems like the best place.

So Im making a charging slayer with a mount. How does one protect their mount when charging the same target. Since you cannot shift back and recharge it.

Another question, does feats/items that would protect you against oppurtinity attacks protect your mount? For instance, "Badge of the beserker" (item) or "Opportunistic Withdraw" (feat).

Just because were not talking in person does not mean you have to be an @#$%^&*
No to the actual question, you don't provoke OAs with a Badge, mount still does.
and then they can choose who they hit..

Provoking Opportunity Attacks: If the mount’s movement provokes an opportunity attack, the attacker chooses to target either the mount or the rider, since the two of them move together.
Id recomend one of the following:
Impenetrable Barding or a Martyr's Saddle. Not a lot to go with i know, but it is what it is.

Runepriest MC+Power Swap for Rune of Astral Winds so you can slide your mount (and therefore yourself) away to charge range with no OA's.
Runepriest MC+Power Swap for Rune of Astral Winds so you can slide your mount (and therefore yourself) away to charge range with no OA's.

Nice find!

Will sliding the mount protect the rider from oa's? Sorry I'm new to mounted combat.
Yes, it's one of the most amusing loopholes you can get with a mounted character.  If you can slide your mount, you both move OA-free, because forced movement doesn't provoke and when your mount is forcemoved, you are too.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Thanks for all the info guys!
So you always have to forcemove the rider to dismount?

The rider chooses, which square he occupies to determine the origin square of an attack. But which square does he occupy when being attacked?

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg)

The rider chooses, which square he occupies to determine the origin square of an attack. But which square does he occupy when being attacked?

If you teleport the mount, the rider falls.
But only once he looks down.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

The rider occupies the same space as the mount, for all purposes except originating powers. So if you are on a large mount, you are occupying a 2x2 space even though you are still medium (for effects that reference size).

Edit to add: Force movement on the rider only dismounts the rider if he choses to be dismounted. The easiest way to forceably dismount a rider is actually to knock the mount prone.

The rider occupies the same space as the mount, for all purposes except originating powers. So if you are on a large mount, you are occupying a 2x2 space even though you are still medium (for effects that reference size).

Edit to add: Force movement on the rider only dismounts the rider if he choses to be dismounted. The easiest way to forceably dismount a rider is actually to knock the mount prone.

Teleportation is a specific case.    

Teleportation: If either the mount or the rider is teleported, the other does not teleport with it. If the mount is teleported without the rider, the rider is dismounted and falls prone.

In the case of flying, teleporting the mount is easier, since the mount doesn't get a save to avoid being teleported. 

Teleportation is a specific case.    

Teleportation: If either the mount or the rider is teleported, the other does not teleport with it. If the mount is teleported without the rider, the rider is dismounted and falls prone.

In the case of flying, teleporting the mount is easier, since the mount doesn't get a save to avoid being teleported. 

If the rider gets a save to teleport and succeeds, does he fall prone off the mount?

Hmm..

"A rider who is knocked prone can immediately make a saving throw. On a roll of 9 or lower, the rider is dismounted and falls prone in an unoccupied space of the rider’s choice adjacent to the mount. On a roll of 10 or higher, the rider is neither dismounted nor knocked prone"

I'd say that means the rider saves against teleporting, and if he succeeds, saves against falling prone.
Hmm..

"A rider who is knocked prone can immediately make a saving throw. On a roll of 9 or lower, the rider is dismounted and falls prone in an unoccupied space of the rider’s choice adjacent to the mount. On a roll of 10 or higher, the rider is neither dismounted nor knocked prone"

I'd say that means the rider saves against teleporting, and if he succeeds, saves against falling prone.

That sounds fair.
You might want to try a jade horse mount:

Nimble Charger (mount)

The jade horse and its rider do not provoke opportunity attacks when charging.

Rules confusion. You don't fall prone if you get a save vs teleport and succeed, nothing happens to you at all. You're thinking of being pushed over a ledge.
Rules confusion. You don't fall prone if you get a save vs teleport and succeed, nothing happens to you at all. You're thinking of being pushed over a ledge.

My apologies.

Good point. Pushing a non-flying mount over an edge will either dismount the rider or take the rider over the edge with his mount.. which almost certainly will knock the mount prone and thus dismount the rider at the bottom. (Whether the rider takes falling damage is unclear to me.) If the mount saves veruses falling off the cliff, it falls prone, which dismounts the rider.

For teleporting, it's easy to make the teleport no-save: just teleport the mount (or rider) to a non-hazardous surface that can support them. 

Oh, my comment on knocking the mount prone has a caveat: it's really hard to knock a flying mount prone. The first proning will just force them to ground level (upright), the second will actually render them prone (and knock the rider off). And often they will just shift-fly up one square on their turn to reset the count. 

Good point. Pushing a non-flying mount over an edge will either dismount the rider or take the rider over the edge with his mount.. which almost certainly will knock the mount prone and thus dismount the rider at the bottom. (Whether the rider takes falling damage is unclear to me.) If the mount saves veruses falling off the cliff, it falls prone, which dismounts the rider.

For teleporting, it's easy to make the teleport no-save: just teleport the mount (or rider) to a non-hazardous surface that can support them. 

Oh, my comment on knocking the mount prone has a caveat: it's really hard to knock a flying mount prone. The first proning will just force them to ground level (upright), the second will actually render them prone (and knock the rider off). And often they will just shift-fly up one square on their turn to reset the count. 

It's easier with Living Missile :D

Flying mounts - you can teleport them to another flying square, leaving the rider to fall, or you can slow or immobilize to prone them. They only go to ground without falling if they have enough fly speed to get there.
Flying mounts - you can teleport them to another flying square, leaving the rider to fall, or you can slow or immobilize to prone them. They only go to ground without falling if they have enough fly speed to get there.

If I'm understanding right, you are suggesting slow/immobilize the mount and then knock it prone (potentially in a single power, depending what you've got to work with)?

Ironically, I think this works with slow but not with immobilized. Slow sets the target's speed to the number 2, which means if they are more than 3 squares up they will be subject to falling damage and thus proneness at the end of their fall. (at exactly 3 squares up, with standing on the ground being 0 squares up, they will ignore the first 2 squares of falling (their speed) and then fall 1 square and not be subject to falling damage.)
Immobilized does not alter their speed, it just prevents them from moving. It's kind of a rules-lawyer's careful parsing though, and I wouldn't hold it against a DM who overruled it.

If I'm understanding right, you are suggesting slow/immobilize the mount and then knock it prone (potentially in a single power, depending what you've got to work with)?

Ironically, I think this works with slow but not with immobilized. Slow sets the target's speed to the number 2, which means if they are more than 3 squares up they will be subject to falling damage and thus proneness at the end of their fall. (at exactly 3 squares up, with standing on the ground being 0 squares up, they will ignore the first 2 squares of falling (their speed) and then fall 1 square and not be subject to falling damage.)
Immobilized does not alter their speed, it just prevents them from moving. It's kind of a rules-lawyer's careful parsing though, and I wouldn't hold it against a DM who overruled it.

And... it looks like you're right. Slowed is the way to go.

Maybe the easiest way to pull this off at will is with twin strike + hobbling strike and WSG.
One option is to take the Clawfoot as your mount, it gets an attack when you charge along with yours! If things are deader, maybe you don't have to shift away.
One option is to take the Clawfoot as your mount, it gets an attack when you charge along with yours! If things are deader, maybe you don't have to shift away.

From the PC,side, sure. But I haven't seen many mounted enemies. One fight in all of LFR, I think? I would assume concern with how to deal with a mounted target is mostly from the DM side of the screen :P

There's several mounts like clawfoots with attacks on charge, but they all suffer from severe scaling problems. They don't pick up attack bonus as you level, so they will be missing an aweful lot, and you need to keep putting in money to avoid that. I don't think any of the very few scaling mounts in the game have that feature, though I could be wrong. (Though if you are a beastmaster ranger who rides his mount they have a few powers that can do that, but of course even a beastmaster ranger has better DPR if they don't take beast powers.)