The future of the online tools.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know this topic has been discussed many times, but that won't stop me from posting about it again. But, does anyone know what WotC will do with the online 4e tools? I would like to think they would keep them up or even make them free. Or if WotC still wants money, but doesn't want them on the website anymore they could put them on a disc, and sell them. My wholde point is that the online tools are so extremely useful, and it will be a shame if they are simply taken away.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

first they said they intended to keep them up, then they said they want to keep them up but then quickly qualified that with 'but its too early to say what that will look like'. at conventions they basically dodge the question with generalizations and smarmy facial expressions (see pax video)

i started a thread about it but they have not responded

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

id love to tell you they will be kept up, but the truth is we dont know. but i wouldnt be shocked if they were taken down the day 5e comes out
In short: Export your charachters after every save or risk losing them, but probably not for awhile still.
yeah, basically close your eyes and just hope they care about their customers
Well, atleast we have the offline tools...

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

No one knows what's going to happen, but the 5e mandate is to bring all D&D fans back into the fold, so if the on-line tools can be used to help make that happen, they will be.

There are any number of possibilities:

1) Simplest & easiest, but also a bit straightforward:  Kill them.  Kill them all, yank the GSL, C&D anyone who tries to retro-clone 4e.  Act like 4e never existed.

2) Not much harder, and a little sleazier:  Keep the on-line tools for 4e up, but bundled with the whole DDI package, so you have to buy all the latest 5e magazines and on-line contents and tools to keep using 4e.  Thus, your subscription is counted as pure support for 5e - your dollars are back in the fold!  Incidentally, don't bother actually maintaining the 4e version of the tools, and move them to smaller and smaller servers...

3) Bit harder and even sneakier:  Merge the 4e & 5e tools.  Instead of killing the 5e tools or making them separate, you add 5e support to the existing tools.  Where there's a conflict, you err on the side of making 5e work smoothly.  The tools are still there.  Your subscription to them is 5e revenue.  But, using them for 4e is swimming upstream.

4) Something even sneakier some corporate lawyer comes up with... 

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

No one knows what's going to happen, but the 5e mandate is to bring all D&D fans back into the fold, so if the on-line tools can be used to help make that happen, they will be.

1) Simplest & easiest, but also a bit straightforward:  Kill them.  Kill them all, yank the GSL, C&D anyone who tries to retro-clone 4e.  Act like 4e never existed.

2) Not much harder, and a little sleazier:  Keep the on-line tools for 4e up, but bundled with the whole DDI package, so you have to buy all the latest 5e magazines and on-line contents and tools to keep using 4e.  Thus, your subscription is counted as pure support for 5e - your dollars are back in the fold!  Incidentally, don't bother actually maintaining the 4e version of the tools, and move them to smaller and smaller servers...

3) Bit harder and even sneakier:  Merge the 4e & 5e tools.  Instead of killing the 5e tools or making them separate, you add 5e support to the existing tools.  Where there's a conflict, you err on the side of making 5e work smoothly.  The tools are still there.  Your subscription to them is 5e revenue.  But, using them for 4e is swimming upstream.

They could also just keep them up and make new tools for 5e.  That would be pretty easy, but take more server space. 

Or they could make an offline version and give everyone a time limit to download and then remove it. 

They could also just keep them up and make new tools for 5e.  That would be pretty easy, but take more server space. 

Or they could make an offline version and give everyone a time limit to download and then remove it. 

Offline version would be EXTREMELY difficult since they currently use Microsoft Silverlight for the program, and exporting all that information into a different format would probably both screw over Mac and Linux users as well as require rebuilding the Original Character Builder from scratch or reviving it and spending a lot of money and energy to build it back up to match the Silverlight CBuilder.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

For the love all that is good and fun, I pray that the Wizards make a new Character Builder for the Fifth Edition that does not use the extremely slow and crash-prone Silverlight.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
For the love all that is good and fun, I pray that the Wizards make a new Character Builder for the Fifth Edition that does not use the extremely slow and crash-prone Silverlight.

I believe Microsoft is discontinuing Silverlight.

I believe Microsoft is discontinuing Silverlight.

They SHOULD.