Making A Paladin's List of Laws!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm playing a Paladin-type character in a new campaign, and I've a desire to compile a list of 400-600 laws and regulations to dictate his behavior. Some players might just say "I have a rulebook with 500 laws," but I actually intend to make one. That said, I've got some specific guidelines for the rulebook, and some things I'd like to accomplish with it generally. Before I get into that however, let me state that the overall theme of these rules is to fit a non-canonical deity that still fits within the larger LFR pantheon. The deity himself falls under Lawful Good alignment within the Justice, Protection, and Strength domains. Likewise, my character mechanically fits within these domains as well, and so should the rules he is governed by.

To that end, I'd like the main themes of these rules to obey the general philosophies one might adhere to as following a deity so aligned. 

So, have at it! Give me everything you've got; rules suggestions, formatting suggestions, ideological suggestions, everything. I want as much raw material as you all are willing to contribute.

Here's about what I have so far; 6 categories and 45 subcategories to cover just about every aspect of life I can think of.

Categories:

Government & Civilization
-Bartering, Buying, & Selling
-Governments
-Lords
-Leaders
-Agencies
-Other Churches, Cults, and Organizations
-Allies
-Enemies

Work & Creation
-Work & Labor
-Creating Art
-Creating Practical Things
-Cooking

Personal Discipline
-Hygiene and Grooming
-Healthcare & Sickness
-Care of Equipment
-Exercise
-Eating
-Resting
-Celebrations & Dancing
-Death and Mourning

Combat 
-Small Scale Warfare
-Large Scale Warfare
-Ritual Combat
-Maritime Warfare
-General Combat

Interactions
-Believers
-Non-Believers
-Antagonists
-Former Believers
-Governments
-Superiors
-Servants/Slaves
-Family
-General Debate and Discourse
-Outsiders, Nomads, Wilders, and Rangers
-Thieves
-Assassins
-Mages
-Knights-Salesmen

Property/Ownership
-Property
-Rights of the Believer
-Rights of the Former Believer
-Rights of the Non-Believer
-Rights of the Antagonist
Maybe you could set a rule/law concerning relationships with the opposite sex.  Whether it's allowed or not.  Whether there is a background check or other done by your order to make sure your spouse part of the enemy clan, etc.
Law #1: Don't be evil.

That's all I got!

That's all I got!

Not even a requirement for most Paladins.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

1. "Serve the public trust"

2. "Protect the innocent"

3. "Uphold the law"

4. (Classified)

That's all I got!

Not even a requirement for most Paladins.

Considering he's talking abotu a LG Paladin, I can see this being a good answer this time :P
Government & Civilization
-Bartering, Buying, & Selling
--Trade is the backbone of society, and therefore the rules of such should be upheld. Buy and trade at a fair and reasonable price, and never arter for less than the objec's worth.
-Governments
--The Government of the area is the ruling power of the area and they're rules and laws must be followed. If a Government proves itself to be weak and corrupt, the no longer deserve the power they wield and must relinquish it.
-Lords
--See Government
-Leaders
--See Government, for a smaller area
-Agencies
-Other Churches, Cults, and Organizations
--Other organizations in the area do not make any laws outside of their buildings, but while within, they are the leading body and their rules must be follows unless it is in direct conflict with the laws of a higher authority.
-Allies
--Allies who have shown themselves of great strength are deserved of praise, while those who claim power and cannot back it deserve only pity. You should aim your allies to follow the rules of the land.
-Enemies
--Evil beings who claim false power should be shown the error of their ways. If they have violated the laws of the land, they should be turned in to the nearest body of law to be dealt with appropriatly. In the case where this is no option, punishment should be carried out as seen fit. Even enemies are deserved of mercy if the crime alows for it.

Work & Creation
-Work & Labor
--Strive to work your hardest, show you ean what you have honestly, and be a good example for those around you to be their best.
-Creating Art
--Art is an inspiration to people. You should strive to find a form of art you enjoy and use it to inspire those around you to better themselves.
-Creating Practical Things
-Cooking

Personal Discipline
-Hygiene and Grooming
--Good hygiene is a small, but essential part of the job. You must strive to look and feel your best so that you may inspire others to do the same.
-Healthcare & Sickness
-Care of Equipment
--If your equipment looks shoddy and rusted, people might think similarly of the man inside. Therefore upkeep your equipment to look it's best so your examples may shine through.
-Exercise
--A Paladin must be in top physical condition. Excercise often to keep yourelf in line and inspire others to be the same.
-Eating
-Resting
-Celebrations & Dancing
-Death and Mourning

Combat 
-Small Scale Warfare
-Large Scale Warfare
-Ritual Combat
-Maritime Warfare
-General Combat

Interactions
-Believers
-Non-Believers
-Antagonists
-Former Believers
-Governments
-Superiors
-Servants/Slaves
-Family
-General Debate and Discourse
-Outsiders, Nomads, Wilders, and Rangers
-Thieves
-Assassins
-Mages
-Knights-Salesmen

Property/Ownership
-Property
-Rights of the Believer
-Rights of the Former Believer
-Rights of the Non-Believer
-Rights of the Antagonist

Italics are my own ideas. I'll add more if I cna think of some later.
:o

There's no section on love. A paladin can love, right?

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

This certainly doesn't lead to 500 laws, but I find that the "Quentin's Monograph" sidebar from the 2E Forgotten Realms setting is still the best 'code of conduct' to date for the 'Lawful Good' paladin.

It's a set of principles rather than specific rules, and each paladin will weigh them differently; making a good-faith effort to uphold the spirit of these precepts is what matters.

The Paladin's Virtues are:

An organized approach brings the most good for all.
Laws exist to bring prosperity to those under them.
Unjust laws must be overturned or changed in a reasonable and positive fashion.
People rule; laws help.
Cause the most good through the least harm.
Protect the weak.
Goodness is not a natural state, but must be fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiates from the heart.
Give others your mercy, but keep your wits about you.
Sign In to post comments