Death and Taxes

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been working on various versions of this since AVR was spoiled, but now I feel as if I've come on a mix that is performing the best. I've tried intergrating the Leonin Arbiter + Ghost Quarter interaction, but Leonin Arbiter is absolute rubbish in this deck sans Ghost Quarter, and running 4 Ghost Quarter really messes with the mana base. Instead I've gone for a more, stall early game before hitting them with multiple Acidic Slimes. 

24 Lands (inc. 2 Ghost Quarters and 2 [/c]Gavony Township[/c]s)

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Blade Splicer
4 Fiend Hunter
4 Phyrexian Metamorph
4 Acidic Slime
4 Restoration Angel

4 Cloudshift
4 Oblivion Ring

There are some really cool interactions here, especially with the blinks (Cloudshift and Restoration Angel).

1: Fiend Hunter + Blink: This allows us to permanently exile something with Fiend Hunter (by blinking Hunter with the ETB ability on the stack) and then catch a second creature when it returns to the battlefield. But also, something I've noticed is that I can drop Fiend Hunter really early to catch something insignificant in the long run of my opponents - as a tempo play per se. For example, on the play I might T2 Fiend Hunter there T1 mana dork just to throw them back a bit - then I can blink my Fiend Hunter in the late game to take out a bigger threat at the cost of giving them a useless mana dork.

2: Acidic Slime + Blink: This is where the deck can get silly. Blinking slimes to nuke their manabase, or take out some key artifacts is just great and can really just seal a match.

3: Metamorph: Metamorph is really good in this deck - it can be a Slime, or a Splicer, or a Restoration Angel or a Fiend Hunter or one of your opponents creatures. These are all great value plays for this deck. And it can be reset by your blinks if you need it to become something better later on which can come in handy.

4: Blade Splicer: This has great interaction with blink spells, and also provides a nice road-block in the early game.

I would really, really appreciate some input. Thanks
Interesting, I like how streamlined it is.  Would a blue splash for Venser, the Sojourner and Phantasmal Image be too greedy?  If you go that route you may just want to go Bant Birthing Pod though.
I've definitely cosidered a path like that - there are certainly many different good cards that can be put into such a list, and a lot of it I've tested. The blue splash makes the mana-less smooth which can definitely be a problem, and running more than Acidic Slimes at the 5-slot seems like it will make for some really clunky hands. Phantasmal Image would be great as in testing the best card in this deck (alongside Restoration Angel) has been Phyrexian Metamorph which has HEAPS of versatility in this deck. I don't see what I'd drop though. The slots that are still somewhat questionable are the Oblivion Rings - I'd do a lot for even a Journey to Nowhere right now as the 3-cmc can be a lot in this deck and really hinder my play when trying to deal with stuff. Especially with Thalia.
This isn't a real death and taxes deck. DnT is an all white deck that consists of low cmc costing creatures just like a WW deck but they have that control twist to them. Typically they focus on 1cmc and 2 cmc drops but don't go any higher than 3 cmc drops.
Bouncing an O Ring with its ETB effect on the stack permanently removes the target just like Fiend Hunter.
Leonin relic-warder works this way on Artifacts & enchantments.

Mimic Vat with any of your crits is a hoot.

NONE of these tricks helps against a torpor orb.

Consider replacing Thalia with Champion of Lambholt. she benefits nicely from all your creature bouncing.
This is my kind of deck.  Have you done any testing?
I'm confused about how to get a permanent exile by bouncing Fiend Hunter/Oblivion Ring.  Can someone please explain this to me?
You achieve the permanent exile by abusing the stack. Here's how it works:

1. You cast fiend hunter.
2. It enters the battlefield, triggering its first ability.
3. With its first ability on the stack (target isn't exiled yet), you somehow remove it from play (saving grasp, unsummon, doom blade, cloudshift, etc)
4. As it leaves play, its leave play trigger goes on the stack ON TOP OF the yet-to-be resolved enters the battlefiled trigger.
5. The stack resolves first in last out, so the leave battlefield trigger resolves first. Nothing was exiled by fiend hunter at the time, so nothing is returned.
6. The enters the battlefield trigger resolves, exiling the targeted creature.

Even if you recast the fiend hunter at this point, its a new fiend hunter and is no way linked to the now permanently exiled creature.