Elminster becomes a Drow (I'm not even kidding)

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
From the blurb on the WotC Product Catalog:

"Commanded by the vestige of Mystra to work together, Manshoon and Elminster engage instead in a ferocious battle that sends the Sage plummeting into the Underdark as a cloud of ashes. Elminster soon inhabits the body of a fallen dark elf, so that he can begin carrying out Mystra's orders to rally Cormyr's Wizards of War, seek blueflame items to mend immense rifts throughout the realms that are releasing deadly monsters, and prevent the ancient Primordials from rising and unleashing their rage."

And just so we're clear, this is written by Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms.    

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Well, for a long time Ed's chosen (no pun intended) to write what he's been asked to write, because if he didn't, someone else would be given the job.

So if it has to be, better him writing Elminster-as-drow than anybody else.

Kinda one of those "if you really must sail into this storm on purpose, here's the best man to have at the helm of your ship" moments.

This does not reduce the "OMG, really?" factor, though there is always the slight chance that Ed or an editor sent the plot in that direction prior to the design team going all googly-eyed over drow.

I'll be plumbing the depths of Elminster Engraged either way, as it'll likely be just as full of new noble family names, names of places (Inns, neighborhoods, clubs, etc...) in Suzail and Cormyr we've never not heard of yet, information on secrets of Cormyr and so on, as the previous two books in the series were.
I think its about time for Lord Iouluam to show up.... Elminster is going to need help.... and who is left that can combat the mad mage of the black network.
The mad mage of undermountain???? gone
Khelben the older gone

Khelben the younger.... well he's out there somewhere.
Chronus??? well he's supposed to be dead.... but one does not call yourself chronmancer and not plan ahead......
the world walker? he still around
the symbol....I think she's plans she wasnt sharing with EL...

his grand daughter??? not even a wizard         
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
The idea of Elminster inhabiting a drow body is just silly, regardless of who writes it.
The idea of Elminster inhabiting a drow body is just silly, regardless of who writes it.

well atleast its not a female drow body.....
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....

Well I don't think so.

I should qualify my earlier post by saying that I first read about what Elminster would be up to well before the Rise of the Underdark was announced.

At the time it didn't strike me as anything out of the ordinary. On the contrary, "drow" and "Cormyr" aren't two words you often see together and I've always been curious to learn more about the Underdark below Cormyr.

I suspect the upcoming Drow stuff and El's activities might be linked, but it's just as likely they may not.

WotC's motives may not be as obvious as we think.

It's Drizzt ;)

I would say he missed out dancing nude under mOonlight. ;)

Sounds like Ed's up to his crazy tricks again. This is certainly unexpected, and it could go neat places.

Trust in Ed, my friends!

Cheers

I trust in no one... I'm jaded and cynical that way.

Seriously though, it sounds a bit shark-jumpy to me, but I'll reserve judgement until its out.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Sure you don't mean Marrying Irving? ;)
I can see it spin this way.

Elminister:"I am Drow now."

Simbul: :rolls her eyes: "You always wanted expand your horizon."

Storm: "Next we have to make ah well. At least it will be fun."
Why is this development a "jump the shark" moment? The Sage of Shadowdale is now a pile of ashes. He can possess individuals. He happens to be thrust into the Underdark. He possesses a drow. Would you rather it had been a shrieker? Or a troglodyte? Perhaps a behir? Wait till you read it or come across a decent review before you start to gloom and doom the novel.

-- George Krashos
Elminister the troglodyte he might well be super pixie 3. Saiyon version of a pixie. LOL)

I am not dissing this.  I having fun with this.  It on parlike turning Shevarash in to a Drow.    This really is intriquing but it on par to create rival for Lolth that is the powerful Mage.    No offense there some chars in the Realms will not roll over and play dead when Lolth has her megalomaniac moment or PMS on steroids. 

Making of a Mage makes the idea completely non-silly, IMO.

IIRC, he's already not in his original body/form.

He's been a woman, why not a member of another race?
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Sounds like Ed's up to his crazy tricks again. This is certainly unexpected, and it could go neat places.

Trust in Ed, my friends!

I always do. I may not enjoy every novel of his (I am still a big wary of the Spellfire trilogy) but there is something about Ed's writing that always intrigues me, and often amuses me. It keeps me coming back to certain books, or certain sections of certain books (my favourite scene in any Realms novel is one of his) time and again. I have little worry about how this novel will be handled.

This, with knobs on. El inhabiting a drow doesn't bother me in the slightest, not least because (thanks to the end of the last book) I had been expecting it. How could someone read that last scene and not expect that his consciousness was going to end up somewhere new?

No, the possibilities for the novels don't worry me in the slightest.

My approach to the NPCs of previous editions.

Show
I always saw the High Level NPCs as shepherds of the Realms not its defenders. Making sure that not too many sheep were lost as they milled around (as they are wont to do) and bringing on the young'uns into the job. In that way a shepherd never has time to go and hunt down all of the wolves but is pretty dashed effective at keeping them away from the sheep when they rear their heads.
"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand." - Terry Pratchett

Because the drow are a race that causes a lot of hate and discontent.  I'm a drow fan, and even I think they are starting to lay on the drow a little too thickly.  I'm a big fan of trying to find a compromise, adn appeal to the greatest number of people.  I think things that are drow based are too polarizing to really accomplish that, even though I happen to like them.

I dont mind at all that Elminster is becoming another race, I mind that they are making him /drow/.  Elf, dwarf, tiefling...whatever.  The Drow are just too polarizing imho.

I know, that Elminster is Ed's baby...I just wonder if WotC is pulling the strings a bit.
Why is this development a "jump the shark" moment? The Sage of Shadowdale is now a pile of ashes. He can possess individuals. He happens to be thrust into the Underdark. He possesses a drow. Would you rather it had been a shrieker? Or a troglodyte? Perhaps a behir? Wait till you read it or come across a decent review before you start to gloom and doom the novel.

-- George Krashos

Just doesn't sound like an interesting idea to me... though a svirfneblin or a gloaming would have been pretty funny at least.  As to doom and gloom, I did say that I was reserving judgment on it, and was simply giving an initial impression of the overall concept.

Though to be perfectly candid, I'm not a big fan of the lastest El novels.  Just seems to me like they should just put the old goat out of his misery and find someone new to pile the drama upon.  Then again, I was thinking that after Elminster in Hell, which while enjoyable for the lore, was going too far for my liking in piling on the torments on the man.  Of course I tend to feel the same way about most comic book titles, so it could just be me.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Because the drow are a race that causes a lot of hate and discontent.  I'm a drow fan, and even I think they are starting to lay on the drow a little too thickly.  I'm a big fan of trying to find a compromise, adn appeal to the greatest number of people.  I think things that are drow based are too polarizing to really accomplish that, even though I happen to like them.

I dont mind at all that Elminster is becoming another race, I mind that they are making him /drow/.  Elf, dwarf, tiefling...whatever.  The Drow are just too polarizing imho.

I know, that Elminster is Ed's baby...I just wonder if WotC is pulling the strings a bit.

Fair enough. I'm feeling the same away about the rise of the underdark thing, honestly.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I am sure Elminster has plenty of enemies upon the surface and I don't think these forms are very permanent with all the beatings he has taken since spellplague.  He has a mission, a goal, a flash in the pan or a rock in the pond.  There are many intrigues at hand and honestly after taking a break from Realms adventuring the past few months, I am eager to see what Ed has in his Bag of Tricks.  I am sure it's full of silvery blue flames, humor, passion, and meaningful events.  

I still ponder when we might hear more about Miyeritar, though I may have missed some article or book somewhere in the past months....

Turns out that's not the case.

From Ed Greenwood, via The Hooded One, at Candlekeep:

Ed:
When plotting EE, I knew nothing about the Rise of the Underdark (which many not even have existed as a publisher-adopted idea back then). Wizards approved my novel plot, of course, but that doesn't mean the specific staff members doing the approving then are the same staffers guiding the Rise of the Underdark now.

If I was doing marketing, I would probably do just as they've done: play up Elminster becoming a drow. That doesn't mean that's really what the book is about. I've always been far more interested in the characters and their life-journeys than about uber-plot.

So while everyone will have an opinion on whether or not the Rise, or EE, are good or that what happens in them is "right" or "best" for the Realms, it would be wrong to see them as connected, in some sort of dark, half-hidden conspiracy.

Because I never do those. :}

As you yourself know, my good Hooded Lady, It's much more fun to do it all out in the open, and watch the shocked responses.

The Hooded One: So saith Ed. And there you have it.

Whatever you think of the Rise or of El becoming a drow, the two are NOT connected/orchestrated.

A small sliver of hope there then.  Still not sure I'm interested in it, but that is reassuring at least.

- Oscar Wilde

As is the way of things at Candlekeep, now that the assumption that Ed Greenwood was being forced by Some Evil Plot(TM) to make Elminster into a Drow has been debunked, a new assumption is being floated: the Rise of the Underdark grew out of Ed Greenwood's idea of having Elminster inhabit a Drow body.

le sigh.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
On second thought: it's plausible the one idea came from the other.

I think it's the pendulum-like swings in thought/from one extreme to another that get me.
thats quite a conundrum isnt it
wait, wait, backup, hold the phone...

Is Elminster a Dark Elf? or a Drow?
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Well, if we look at Misc's post, THO specifically used the word 'drow', so what does that tell us?

- Oscar Wilde

it tells us all and nothing.
drow and dark elf both have been used interchanged for eons....

but then Im not saying anything either...... execpt to keep the suspense going.......

its likely a drow yes.      
From the blurb on the WotC Product Catalog:

"Commanded by the vestige of Mystra to work together, Manshoon and Elminster engage instead in a ferocious battle that sends the Sage plummeting into the Underdark as a cloud of ashes. Elminster soon inhabits the body of a fallen dark elf, so that he can begin carrying out Mystra's orders to rally Cormyr's Wizards of War, seek blueflame items to mend immense rifts throughout the realms that are releasing deadly monsters, and prevent the ancient Primordials from rising and unleashing their rage."

And just so we're clear, this is written by Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms.    

That's a crappy blurb to put up now.  I think it reveals too much for the people still reading Bury Elminster Deep.  The blurb was probably giving away the plot point because it has the term 'Dark Elf' in it.  I mean I live the drow, but there was a better way they could have written the teaser.

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!
im cool with El being a Drow, I mean why not? Hes already been to hell and back, been out drinkin with Ao, Hes been a chick, gone back in time, probably fowards as well? he even has his very own pocket dimension, so yeah why not a Drow!?

It WOULDA been cooler if he was an actual Dark Elf though, knowhatimean?
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there

It's Drizzt ;)

This would be utterly amazing in a completely horrible way. But think of the book deals! They could get RA. Salvatore to write a second book giving Drizzts side as he's displaced into the body of an old white human dude. The sheer potential!

Don't say things like that... THEY might be reading/watching/listening...

- Oscar Wilde

Don't say things like that... THEY might be reading/watching/listening...

This.  Thou shalt not utter such blasphemy!
Not to say too much but I am pretty sure Drizzt will be having Underdark adventuring in the next book or the one after that.  Seems there are some powerful magics which are boiling with Bregan D'aerthe. 
Thou shalt not utter such blasphemy!

I want a new novel trilogy detailing Elminster and Drizzt swapping bodies!

;)

;)

noooooooo *head explodes* lol

;)

Actually, just a lengthy scene of interaction between Elminster [written by Ed] and Drizzt [written by RAS] would be interesting enough.

Perhaps something for a future DDI article? Styled like the "Wizards' Three" of old.
Sign In to post comments