What should I play? Help please

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'd like to start playing in the block tournaments at my local game store. I have the cards to build a W/R Hellrider Tokens, U/R Stalker, and Dredge milling. I haven't really seen a lot of deck lists, for block. I have understood that Tokens are good, but if you guy's have good deck lists from either of the 3 archetypes that I have listed then please post them.
I'd say the most powerful deck in Block pre-Avycyn Restored is Boros Hellrider decks, so I'd play that if your looking to be really competive, however imo the most fun deck to play is Self-Mill, it's also quite powerful and can stand up against any of the decks in the format, I have a list that I play casually with:

I used to run it with instead of to give access to Sever the Bloodline and the flashback on Spider Spawning but changed it to red to give me the board sweeper and Kessig Wolf Run. the sweeper is very important if your going to be facing alot of Boros decks, and I'd consider increasing the number if thats the case. I don't have a sideboard figured out yet, but i'd put in Undead Alchemist in it to deal with the mirror.
Thx for the help. I guess I will try both of them. For the first tournament, I guess I should just play Tokens. Would the example deck list in the ReConstructed article be good for the tournament. How has the mill-deck been working you, in your casual play?
The deck list in the ReConstructed article looks like a good place to start, however now Avycyn Restored is out you might want to add some cards from there, if you have any, as got alot of sweet cards.

My self-mill deck has been working quite well, it can beat any deck in the pre-Avycyn format and can get some very powerful draws, however things can go wrong if you can't fill your graveyard with creatures early, I used to run Dream Twist, and that helped out with being able to get a creature or two in the yard early enabling me to play my Boneyard Wurms and Splinterfrights on turn 2 and 3.  But now I just can't find the room for them.
I read some article about block constructed post-AVR. Silverblade Paladin seems good, and will probably be played. Thier is the pro-tour this weekend, so we can see what the pros come up with, unfortunatly if a card does well their then it might go up in price. Maybe like 1 or 2 of the Slayers' Stronghold depending on how consistent the mana is. I don't have to much AVR cards yet, so my friends and I don't own many of the good AVR cards.
I found the website that was talking about Boros Tokens http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/isdblock/24013_Avacyn_Restored_Week_Block_Constructed_Review.html
The problem that I see with the self-mill deck is that it typically has no way to interact with your opponent. You at least have a couple Blasphemous Acts in there, but against the typical deck I can play any creature and know that it's going to stick and stay. The deck I've been playing lately is BRw control, with Olivia Voldaren and Sorin, Lord of Innistrad as the major win conditions (along with Devil's Play, Stensia Bloodhall and some other burn).

I have enough removal that I can usually keep the big Splinterfrights and Boneyard Wurms off of the battlefield long enough to get an Olivia Voldaren in play with 7 mana. At that point any creature that they drop I just take (it usually dies since they can't put any of my creatures in the graveyard.) If they cast a Spider Spawning it's usually either negated by a Curse of Death's Hold or I use Blaphemous Act or Rolling Temblor. That's usually late enough in the game that I have a backup Olivia Voldaren in my hand anyway if I have to use the Blasphemous Act.

I think I've lost one match against the self-mill deck out of about 7. In one game my opponent was able to drop two creatures in one turn and then used Artful Dodge to get him through for lethal and in the other game I had to mulligan to 5 and my 2-land hand didn't draw a land until turn 5 or so.

It's a decent deck, but the inability to deal with threats is a major problem IMO. You can't always rely on Gnaw to the Bone to save you since an opponent can basically lock your deck down completely and it doesn't matter how much life you have. It is fun to play though.
Hmm... So the version with red isn't good against the Olivia decks. Sever the Bloodline is some removal for her, but the black version doesn't have Blasphemous Act for against the token decks which are a big part of the meta.

Hmm... So the version with red isn't good against the Olivia decks. Sever the Bloodline is some removal for her, but the black version doesn't have Blasphemous Act for against the token decks which are a big part of the meta.

Yeah your absolutley right no one runs Blasphemous Act in Self mill, I guess I must be imagining that red spell in my board.

5 Forest
4 Woodland Cemetery
2 Island
4 Hinterland Harbor 
4 Shimmering Grotto

Creatures

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Deranged Assistant
4 Boneyard Wurm
4 Armored Skaab
4 Splinterfright
3 Kessig Cagebreakers
1 Laboratory Maniac

Spells

4 Tracker's Instinct
4 Mulch
3 Gnaw to the Bone
1 Sever the Bloodline
3 Spider Spawning
2 Unburial Rites

Sideboard

3 Undead Alchemist
3 Blasphemous Act (remember no one runs this board)
1 Sulfur Falls
3 Bramblecrush
1 Creeping Renaissance
1 Gnaw to the Bone
2 Sheltering Word
1 Sever the Bloodline

@Torpesh: I for one would love to see your decklist that seems to have the meta sorted as it sounds like a intresting deck.

As here is my expected list you post if you do indeed post at all

3 Clifftop Retreat
4 Isolated Chapel
Evolving Wilds
5 Mountain
8 Swamp
1 Plains
2 Stensia Bloodhall

4 Olivia Voldaren
2 Bloodline Keeper
4 Bloodgift Demon
1 Balefire Dragon

4 Blasphemous Act
4 Terminus
4 Sever the Bloodline
2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
3 Devil's Play
3 Midnight Haunting
Unburial Rites

I actually am playing R/W Humans now, but I like self-mill to, so I am open to idea's about it. About "no one right now run's Act in the main-deck." is this because black is better in the new meta? I thought in pre-AVR, Act was so it had a way to survive early against Boros decks? I am knew to block constructed, so sorry if some of my idea's about mill are weird, I am trying to learn. During the core-set is it still Innistrad block constructed?
Yeah your absolutley right no one runs Blasphemous Act in Self mill, I guess I must be imagining that red spell in my board.

<<>>

@Torpesh: I for one would love to see your decklist that seems to have the meta sorted as it sounds like a intresting deck.

As here is my expected list you post if you do indeed post at all

You sound so angry. Take a deep breath.

The meta game has obviously changed drastically now that AVR is out online. At the time, my deck ran the 4 Olivia Voldaren, but only 2 Bloodgift Demons (with 2 more in the sideboard), and no Bloodline Keepers, which were just way too slow for the metagame at the time. I had 3 or 4 in the sideboard though to play against slower or more controlling decks. No Balefire Dragon either. The other threats were 3 or 4 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad in the main, two Stensia Bloodhalls, and of course 2 or 3 Devil's Plays which double as removal when necessary. Obviously no Terminus since AVR wasn't out at the time of my post and I didn't run 4 Sever the Bloodlines because again the card was too slow against a lot of decks. No Midnight Hauntings either. At the time it was important to have turn 1 answers for Champion of the Parish, so there were 3 or 4 Tragic Slips (also good against big creatures later in the game and Predator Ooze which was seeing some play, so a very good all around card) and a couple of Dead Weights.

The removal was rounded out with a couple Blasphemous Acts and a number of Rolling Temblors, which went between 1 and 2 depending on the number of RW human and zombie decks being seen. There were two Liliana of the Veils, although she was often sided out and usually didn't perform as well as I hoped. I believe that I had one Curse of Death's Hold in the main with 2 more in the sideboard. The rest of the sideboard included one or two Grafdigger's Cages and some number of Witchbane Orbs along with some other changes to the removal - additional Tribute to Hungers to play against Invisible Stalker decks, etc.