Simple question about untapping

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Simple question. I'm a casual player and I found a card that has an ability that says "target creature does not untap during next untap step." 

Does that mean it can untap in the untap step after that next untap step, or it is stuck tapped?

Thanks.
/edit: i need sleep and more reading
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thanks.
sorry, it's late, ignore my first post ;)

something like Frost Breath only stops for the next untap step, something like Bonds of Quicksilver stops it at any untap step
if you find other ways to untap you are free to do so.
So are you saying if you see "next untap step" that means it can untap during the one after that. But if it says "during the controller's untap step" that means it can't untap during ANY untap step. Is that right?
well, it could untap during your opponents untap step with something like Unwinding Clock.
so "any" is technically wrong.
(i thought about this too late ;))

but it can't untap during any of YOUR untap steps
well, it could untap during your opponents untap step with something like Unwinding Clock.
so "any" is technically wrong.
(i thought about this too late ;))

but it can't untap during any of YOUR untap steps

Great thanks Mr. Enigma!
I know its late but can you answer one more basic level question?

My sister was attacking with 2 creatures and I blocked them with my 2 creatures. She also played an instant that said" destroy target blocking creature" and she killed one of my blockers. So does any damage get through to me now that the blocker is dead? Was her creature blocked or was it destroyed before it officially blocked? Also, does that mean there was never combat between the 2?

Sorry, I know its late
Once a creature is blocked it stays blocked and unless it has trample it will deal no damage to the defending player.
MTG Rules Advisor

My sister was attacking with 2 creatures and I blocked them with my 2 creatures. She also played an instant that said" destroy target blocking creature" and she killed one of my blockers. So does any damage get through to me now that the blocker is dead? Was her creature blocked or was it destroyed before it officially blocked? Also, does that mean there was never combat between the 2?

Sorry, I know its late

She can't use that instant until after you've declared a creature as a blocker; until that point, there are no blocking creatures.

Once a creature is blocked, it stays blocked no matter if the blocker is removed, bounced, killed, or whatever.

Since the blocker was killed before combat damage, the attacker neither deals nor receives any combat damage, unless it has trample; then it will deal all of its combat damage to the defending player.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Sorry, I know its late

She can't use that instant until after you've declared a creature as a blocker; until that point, there are no blocking creatures.

Once a creature is blocked, it stays blocked no matter if the blocker is removed, bounced, killed, or whatever.

Since the blocker was killed before combat damage, the attacker neither deals nor receives any combat damage, unless it has trample; then it will deal all of its combat damage to the defending player.

That is a fantastic answer, thank you!
So lets say my creature AND her creature had Trample. Are you saying that even though my blocker was destroyed with an instant it would still do damage to her creature and her (if excess got through)?  And her creature would do all of its damage to me?
I'm a little confused because I thought Trample would have been combat damage and since my creature was removed there was no combat. 
no, with trample and the blocker removed you would do damage to the player (and the dead creature would of course do no damage to your creature)
So lets say my creature AND her creature had Trample. Are you saying that even though my blocker was destroyed with an instant it would still do damage to her creature and her (if excess got through)?  And her creature would do all of its damage to me?
I'm a little confused because I thought Trample would have been combat damage and since my creature was removed there was no combat. 

Several points on this. First of all, Trample on a blocking creature doesn't do anything; Trample only matters when attacking. So whether your creature had Trample couldn't possibly change anything about this question. Secondly, a (formerly) blocking creature that gets destroyed during the declare blockers step doesn't deal combat damage, because it isn't there when combat damage happens. The attacking creature is still blocked in that scenario, but it's not blocked by anything in particular and won't normally take any combat damage. Thirdly, all damage done by creatures as part of the usual game action in the combat damage step is combat damage, including damage dealt to players. If you attack with a Grizzly Bears and I don't block, what the bears do to me is just as much combat damage as what they would have done to a creature I'd blocked them with.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
If you attack with a Garruk's Companion and she blocks with Grizzly Bears, you can Vanquish her Grizzly Bears. At that point, because Garruk's Companion has Trample, it will deal 3 damage to her.

If you attack with a Barony Vampire and she blocks with a Grizzly Bears, you can Vanquish her bears - but you won't deal any damage to her, because your creature was blocked. That means that you also wouldn't gain life from Lifelink.

Trample only affects creatures that are attacking. If you attack with a Garruk's Companion and she blocks with a Garruk's Companion, you will deal damage to her but she will not deal damage back.
Thanks all of you. I completely understand now
Sorry, I know its late

Depends on which part of the world you live in...

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

Sign In to post comments