worst $140 ever spent...

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
well avaycn restored came out today.. went to pick up Fatpack and Booster box i preordered well Booster box the only cards worth anything where the blue planeswalker and silverblade paladin 
then the fatpack all i got decent was silverblade paladin
AND 1 pack did not even have a dang Rare...

Srsly.. everything else was $2-$0.10 worth

did a check on all

last time i buy a booster box. x_x

and before any of u see that this is a new account i just started playing again for the first time since 2004... right after Darksteel came out i stopped 
Wait a bit. You never know what will pick up. Also, I believe that the third set in a block often has the worst return on money.

Honestly, I never buy boosters with the intent to make my money back.
Buying booster packs is essentially gambling.  Maybe you'll get something good, maybe not.

Complaining that you didnt get enough good stuff is like complaining that a slot machine didnt start spitting out money.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

well i would expect more from a whole booster box.
at least 1 more card worth $10 + more

not that i wanted to make money back but i did not get that many decent cards for deck building either.

i was hoping for a few rares i needed around $1-2 that did not even get.
I understand the gambling part but also there was 1 pack without a rare and i thought was effed up.
and another thing the booster box had the Wizards Plastic Seal but the fat pack did not..
should the Fat pack have Wizards Plastic Seal instead of clear with nothing on it
Buying that many booster packs was probably a terrible idea to begin with.......
well avaycn restored came out today.. went to pick up Fatpack and Booster box i preordered well Booster box the only cards worth anything where the blue planeswalker and silverblade paladin 
then the fatpack all i got decent was silverblade paladin
AND 1 pack did not even have a dang Rare...

Srsly.. everything else was $2-$0.10 worth

did a check on all

last time i buy a booster box. x_x

and before any of u see that this is a new account i just started playing again for the first time since 2004... right after Darksteel came out i stopped 





I was equally disappointed with my booster box as well!  I know there is no guaranty, but my box of M12 had 6 mythics including 2 planeswalkers and 4 titans, my box of Innistrad had 6 mythics, my box of Dark Ascension also had 6 mythics.  Today, first thing this morning I purchased my box of Avacyn along with a box of New Phyrexia.   I love playing as well as 'collecting' too.  The box of Avacyn only had 3 mythics in it..  (craterhoof, misthollow griffin and Sigarda)  I was pretty disappointed so I actually grabbed 6 more packs thinking this was a fluke.  Those 6 packs didn't help either. No mythics either.  Now, compare to the box of New Phyrexia:  5 mythics including Karn Liberated, Batterskull, Phyrexian Obliterator, Sheoldred Whispering One and Etched Monstrosity.  Again, I've not been disappointed with any of my other boxes of boosters but Avacyn was the worst I've seen.  Funny thing though because mythics were flying around the prelease in great quantity, so much that I actually felt like this was a mythic heavy set and couldn't wait to get my hands on a full booster box.  A friend won 10 packs at the prelease and pulled $100 worth of rares and mythics just from those 10 packs including 2 Temporal Mastery and Avacyn.   I pulled Gisela (mythic) at the event (only 6 packs) and I pulled Temporal Mastery the next day at another event (6 packs).   Bought 42 packs today and got 3 mythics.   ? 
i got 2 mythics in my box. 
Primal Surge and the blue planeswalker..
and i am still wondering about the Fat Pack not having the Wizards Plastic Seal..... which in the fat pack i had a booster with no RARE 

>Still buying packs


>2012



>Still buying packs


>2012




Yes i just started playing again. Let me guess now people just buy premade decks online so they dont have to do ****?

I nowadays try to play a mini-master with every booster or at least almost every booster I buy. That way I feel like I got some fun in return for my money even if the cards were bad. Besider, mini-master is very fun. Just open a booster, don't look at the cards and shuffle in 3 of each basic lands. Then play. It's not a very skill intensive format but it's a blast to play with a random deck that you have no idea of.

It's a larger set with only a few juicy rares.  If you're disapointed with what you bought you could try to trade the stuff you don't want for ones you do.  I here people do that occasionally.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
It's a larger set with only a few juicy rares.  If you're disapointed with what you bought you could try to trade the stuff you don't want for ones you do.  I here people do that occasionally.

would be a good idea to trade if i had more then 1 card worth somthing LOL
The first set is usually the only set worth buying a box of in my opinion. The first set usually has a handful of good rares, the most quality common and uncommons, and a set of rare dual lands. The only boxes I bought my self were Time Spiral and Zendikar, and I got nice stuff out of both. I also split a box of 10th with my buddy whcih was decent.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
It's a larger set with only a few juicy rares.  If you're disapointed with what you bought you could try to trade the stuff you don't want for ones you do.  I here people do that occasionally.

would be a good idea to trade if i had more then 1 card worth somthing LOL


Worth is a funny thing.  If all that you are considering is the secondary market, monetary value, you might miss out on the fact that some people are just looking for cards to play with.  Some cards are harder to trade away than others, but I manage to turn stuff I won't use into stuff I will.  I admitt, I have a binder of jank I can't get rid of, but that's just part of it. 

Besides, for investment purposes it seems like you need to buy @ 3 boxes to get what you want plus extras.

If you've got $500 dollars to invest on Wall St., you're return might not be so noticeable, but if you invested $20,000,  your profit margin would be much nicer.  It's the same with booster boxes, the more
you buy, the more you'll get.    

Another thing, the prices right at the moment are pre-release prices, watch what happens when the set is Standard legal. 

STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
back when i played in 2004 i bought 1-3 boosters a week.. till i won a tourney and got a booster box of DarkSteel. 
and then it paid for it self. the place i went to in SoCal gave away $100 Gift Cards for winner.

cant find a place that does that where i live now XD  
A player didn't get their money's worth from a booster box? What a twist!
Honestl, I'm not sure why people put so much emphasis on mythic rare.  There are about 3 Mythic rares from this set I wanted just to have in my collection.  Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded.  I got Tamiyo and Avacyn in my box so I'm happy.  However, I'd much rather pull a Thunderous Wrath or a Vexing Devil then a Descent into Madness.

MAGIC BUYER GUIDE (Experience may vary)

If you want quality cards for your standard decks, buy them online.

If you want quality cards for your standard decks and you are a collector, buy a fat pack and some occasional booster packs, and then buy the rest online.

If you want quality cards for your casual decks, buy them online once they've rotated out of standard.

If you want quality cards for your casual decks, and you are a collector, buy a fat pack and some occasional booster packs, and then buy the rest online once they've rotated out of standard.

If you want specific quality cards for your collection, buy them online once they've rotated out of standard.

If you want cards for a collection, and possibly to resell way in the future when one of the cards suddenly gains imense value, buy a booster box or two when the set comes out and it's still only 100 bucks.

I think that's a list we magic players should live by.

You are Red/Blue!

Last week I bought some lottery tickets for $100, but only won like $5.

So I bought another $30 worth cause I thought it must be a fluke, but didn't win anything at all.


Lottery tickets are a rip off, I'm not buying them anymore.

>Still buying packs


>2012




Yes i just started playing again. Let me guess now people just buy premade decks online so they dont have to do ****?



Buy singles. Now for about the same price you can get about the same number of good cards except they are the good cards you want and you don't have to worry about stuffing the garbage with all of the jank. It's a huge time, money and space saver.


It's been a LOOOONG time since I bought backs and actually expected to get something playable. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that if you're interested in a staple for your deck, even if it's a rare card like Wrath of God, it's ALWAYS been a better idea to pay ~$25 for a set of 4 up front than buy a $90 box of random cards and not get a single one. Maybe I'm still jaded about back in the day when I was young and all of my money came from my parents and it was easier to tell them to just buy me packs than try to bother them with buying singles. I alternated between playing green red madness and green black madness because more of the cards were easier to get than green blue madness. I never even opened a single Circular Logic and I never knew ANYONE that EVER opened an Arrogant Wurm. The singles are out there, so surely it must have happened somewhere, right? 2 boxes of Torment, zero copies of either card. Forget that, I wouldn't go back if you were going to buy the packs for me.

My booster box and fatpack are sitting in Germany waiting for me. I got 5 days left of sitting in spain!!! I really can't wait to open it and see what I didn't get.
When I picked up my fat pack and booster box today, there was another guy opening his booster box. In the first 4 packs he opened, he pulled 2 of the blue miracle card that lets you take an extra turn.

Yes i just started playing again. Let me guess now people just buy premade decks online so they dont have to do ****?


Yes. Yes we do. 

I still buy boosters. I still buy fat packs, too. I go to Wal-Mart/K-mart, and grab everything off of the shelf that is Magic related. It's a waste of money, sure. But I go into it knowing that I should expect nothing, and that I should expect no certain amount of money cards. And I also know when it's time to build a deck, I go on the internet and net-deck.

When it's time to build a deck for casual, I use all the worthless cards that I get from fat packs and boosters.  

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.

I still buy boosters. I still buy fat packs, too. I go to Wal-Mart/K-mart, and grab everything off of the shelf that is Magic related. It's a waste of money, sure. But I go into it knowing that I should expect nothing, and that I should expect no certain amount of money cards. And I also know when it's time to build a deck, I go on the internet and net-deck.


You also know that you have the investing habits of someone who will undoubtedly die penniless.

You also know that you have the investing habits of someone who will undoubtedly die penniless.


That's the thing. I don't "invest" in things that are my hobbies. I don't pour massive amounts of money into this game hoping that I can get something in return. I pour a certain amount of money into this game because it's something that I enjoy doing. 

No one buys a set of Legos hoping to get something in return, but rather they would just like to build something, and enjoy building that something. 

I don't invest in Magic cards, they are just something that I happen to purchase. My investment habits aren't bad, either. Bad investment habits start with investing in a Silly Child's Game and hoping you can retire off the worth of a Baneslayer Angel or Lotus Cobra (lol).  

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Or worse, Beanie Babies.  I remember a woman telling me she was going to pay for her daughter's college tuition by selling those things...   

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

If your pack doesn't contain a rare, that's a legitimate mistake on Wizard's part, right? That's not supposed to happen. That's something reasonable to complain about.
You also know that you have the investing habits of someone who will undoubtedly die penniless.


That's the thing. I don't "invest" in things that are my hobbies. I don't pour massive amounts of money into this game hoping that I can get something in return. I pour a certain amount of money into this game because it's something that I enjoy doing. 

No one buys a set of Legos hoping to get something in return, but rather they would just like to build something, and enjoy building that something. 


I don't invest in Magic cards, they are just something that I happen to purchase. My investment habits aren't bad, either. Bad investment habits start with investing in a Silly Child's Game and hoping you can retire off the worth of a Baneslayer Angel or Lotus Cobra (lol).  




You totally misinterpret my use of the word "invest."

To elaborate, an investment is simply anywhere you put your money. Gains from an investment are not necessarily monetary. If you pay $100 for maybe 20 cards you will definitely enjoy using and, for those monetary purposes, will retain enough value so that in the event that you did want to get out of the game or trade for different cards you could easily do so without hassle, isn't that obviously better than $100 worth in a couple hundred cards which 90% of won't even be playable in your janky casual decks and which nobody else wants?


I really only have a handful of tournament caliber decks, but the few cards in those decks are worth more than all of the rest of my collection combined. I have boxes full of cards from the old days that I can't find anyone to take off my hands. I really wish I had all of that money back, my collection would be SO much better. Why would I want to add more jank to my terrible cards collection and waste money when I could just as easily buy good cards and build playable decks? Just because you want to build casual decks doesn't mean you have to waste your money on worthless cards.


Collectable games, by their nature, are huge money pits that will eat your finances alive. Trust me, you want to save money everywhere possible. Magic is a game that you can easily enjoy without buying every loaf Wizards pinches off.



Seriously, you're like people who play Standard because they think it's cheaper than Legacy and other eternal formats. Yeah, it's totally cheaper to spend $300+ on new cards every time a new block rotates rather than maybe $400 for a perfectly playable deck that will always be legal and, if at some point you decide you want to change decks, 70% of the cards in the deck will likely be playable in the new deck. Every deck in legacy runs wasteland or example. A playset will cost you about $160 or so... But you'll always play them and everything you ever play can use them. Jeez, funds for a few seasons of Standard will easily buy you some power to play in Vintage. The same goes for booster boxes. You could almost buy every card you'd actually play with from a given set for the price of playing the lottery and opening packs. Don't play the lottery... You know it's not a good investment.


By the way, I just checked the prices for power and the prices have shot way up since the last time I looked. People that bought good cards actually did make money. I'm even set for a huge ROI on my Force of Wills, a card you literally cannot play blue without.

Okay. I can admit to being wrong about the investment thing.

Collectable games, by their nature, are huge money pits that will eat your finances alive. Trust me, you want to save money everywhere possible. Magic is a game that you can easily enjoy without buying every loaf Wizards pinches off.


Yeps. That's why I generally don't go for things like Planechase, the All Foil Shards of Alara Boosters, Deckbuilder Toolkits, and From The Vault. I do pick up Duel Decks for giggles, and the Tourmanent Decks are pretty handy if I absolutely need one.

Seriously, you're like people who play Standard because they think it's cheaper than Legacy and other eternal formats.


I play Standard for no other reason than it is easy to find tournaments. Legacy is too hard to find, and it doesn't really happen on a weekly basis in my area.  

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
There has yet to be a single Standard tournament with the set. The value of the cards are far from set in stone. The chance that there's a Stoneforge Mystic in there is low, but at least wait a bit.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

OMG you gambled and it didnt pay off!
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Or worse, Beanie Babies.  I remember a woman telling me she was going to pay for her daughter's college tuition by selling those things...   

Beanie Babies are rad as hell... as toys.
There has yet to be a single Standard tournament with the set.


We've already had FNM, so Im not sure what you mean. 

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Okay. I can admit to being wrong about the investment thing.


I disagree, I think your use of the term invest is the correct one.

To invest means to expect a profit.  To buy Magic cards is spending.
I love buying packs, but I do so knowing that I probably won't be able to make a profit.  If I was interested in sheer profit, I would just buy singles, but cracking packs is part of the fun of Magic as a whole, and I love it.  I typically buy a box and a fat pack of each new set, and I have yet to have a "bad" box.  Yesterday, as a matter of fact, my LGS had a deal where you get a fat pack of Dark Ascension at half price when you buy an Avacyn Restored fat pack.  Each one managed to pay for itself with a single card (Tamiyo and Huntmaster).

Most people don't seem to realize though, that for sheer value, singles are the way to go.  It may seem like you're spending more, but you're actually just cutting out the chaff and uncertainty. 

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Starting from 0, not having done research on the enviroment, and planning on playing casual magic, I feel it's okay to buy a box of boosters. It gives you a large pool, most likely completes your common/uncommon collecting, and lets you trade around a bit with friends. If you Booster Draft with your box with your friends, you also get a nice little experience.

I've only ever bought one box of boosters, and I had fun with it for the most part. I am not sure I would do so nowdays, but as long as I actually had a plan, I'd be buying singles.

... Although I do like opening up packs. What is that card? OMG, I don't have that one yet! *squee!*
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I bought a booster box, and I was quite happy with what I got.

2x Tamiyo, the Moon Sage (1 of which was a foil! *DROOL*)
1x Cavern of Souls
1x Silverblade Paladin
1x Sigarda, Host of Herons
1x Bonfire of the Damned
1x Griselbrand
1x Entreat the Angels

I'm trying to complete the set, and between the sealed pre-releases and the draft from last night, and the box I bought, I'm 24 cards away! I got some nice tradables tho :D

To invest means to expect a profit.


Sure, but the "profit" and even the "investment" aren't always monetary. Sometimes you invest money for time or experience (paying college tuition or an internship) or sometimes you invest TIME for some kind of experience (quality time with your family.) I've invested a lot in video games myself. I've collected a loooot of really obscure fighting games, most of which are honestly terrible, but I did it to have the experience with fighting game mechanics and develop a better understanding of the genre. I've lost money on that, sure, but not to the level of being stuck with thousands of terrible pieces of cardboard I'd rather not even have in my house because I'll never use them and nobody else would take the time to spit on them. Where is the enjoyment in this? It's not even fun to play with terrible cards.

I'm sorry to hear your booster packs were really unlucky.  That's just the luck of the draw, unfortunately.  At least you have a lot of cards to build with!
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant. Either way, I'm sure you got a bunch of cards that at least are casual playble. If the only value you find in the cards is monetary than I suggest you leave the game again, because that means you don't really care about playing.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.