Counterbalance + Entreat the Angels

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, a question came up that I wasn't sure of.
If my opponent has a counterbalance out and I cast Entreat the Angels for it's miracle cost, what would be the required mana cost on top of my opponent's library for it to be countered? At first I thought it would be three, but doubt was cast when someone mentioned that perhaps the X would be applied to the XXWWW cost, if that makes any sense.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Converted mana cost is always the cost in the top right corner. If X is 2, the CMC of Entreat is 7, whether it was cast for its miracle cost or its normal cost.
All Generalizations are Bad
I knew it was based on the top right corner, I just didn't know if the X chosen for the miracle cost was taken into account for the XX of the orginal cost. Anyway, that answers the question. Thank you.
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
X in manacosts is only 0 when not on the stack
on the stack it is whatever the player has chosen for it.

so for example you cannot Counterbalance their Entreat the Angels with your own.
proud member of the 2011 community team