Don't Forget Your Sunrod - The Dungeon Survival Handbook Spoiler Thread

143 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another new book, and another by the numbers rundown of player crunch.

7 new themes
Bloodsworn
Deep Delver
Escaped Thrall (Grants a power point!)
Trapsmith
Treasure Hunter
Underdark Envoy
Underdark Outcast

3 new races with racial powers and feats
Goblin ( Dex and Wis/Cha)
Six feats, six powers
Kobold ( Con and Dex/Cha)
Five feats, five powers
Svirnefblin (Wis and Str/Con)
Four feats, eight powers

44 new powers! (each class or skill gets one unless stated otherwise)
Artificer
Assassin
Barbarian
Bard
Battlemind
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Invoker
Paladin
Psion
Ranger 2
Rogue 3
Runepriest
Seeker
Shaman
Sorcerer
Warden 2
Warlock
Warlord

Acrobatics 2
Arcana 3
Athletics
Dungeoneering 4
Endurance
Heal
Insight 3
Intimidate
Perception
Stealth 2
Streetwise

One request per tag, and keep it to short responses. I'm still at work, so replies may be slow.
New assassin powers please! Very curious.
Any good accuracy boosters?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Dare I inquire about the Seeker power?
What is the best (most optimized if you will) game element (power, feat, theme, item) that you have seen?  I mean most useful or something that we will all be talking about, incorporating into builds, etc.  Like Elven Chain Shirt was (one example) in the Mordenkainen's book.

Daren
Are Svirnefblin small?  That would mean we finally have a small race with a strength bonus and with goblin we for sure finally have a small race with a wisdom bonus.

That has interesting possibilities with small warriors defense feat.  Think svirnefblin or goblin with battle cleric's lore + small warriors defense and scrappy.
Sorc power(s) please!
Fighter plox!
Would love to know the Artificer power

Hmm...Bloodsworn and Escaped Thrall themes sound intriguing. Or just Escaped Thrall, if you're not going to do both.
Take a look at my Handbook: The Pet Store: A Familiar Keeper's Handbook Nacht: "Vecna can do ANYTHING given preptime. He's like an undead lich god Batman."
No wizard powers?! Thank the gods!!! Certainly don't need any fighter powers but at least they gave us a break from wizard-spam.
Goblin feats, please?
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
Rogue powers, please?
Finally!!
New Assassin and Seeker powers!!

Hope that they are good and give both class some redemption.
From what I remember, most of the powers are terrible. There was a nice Shaman d5, an interesting Invoker IR e7.
Though the best power I saw was an endurance skill power
u10, daily
Minor Action
Spend a Surge
Until EoE, you are immune to weakened, and have resist 10 all.
Tasty  
The Rogue power was an IR e3, any enemy enters a square within 3 of you, though I cannot remember if it was ranged or melee (I want to say the latter...)
The Seeker power was atrocious, e13, attack three targets, for each you hit, you can shift 2 squares. 0 control. 
Spoil the goblins please, at least enough for a level 1 character.
I'd love to hear more about this Runepriest power, if you'd be so kind.
It was pretty bad, i think it was a d9, put up an aura 1 that gave a constant bonus to AC?
What sort of assassin is the assassin power for? Executioner or... umm... useless shroudy guy?

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

The Seeker power was atrocious, e13, attack three targets, for each you hit, you can shift 2 squares. 0 control. 

You call it atrocious, I call it the closest thing a Seeker has to replicating a workable AoE attack.
What are the news on those themes? And what's the scoop on the Skill Powers?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
So all the Warlock is getting out of this is a no-damage Dominate save-ends 9th level Daily?

Eeeeeehhhh... bleh. :/ Sure, it's a dominate, but...

[Edit] Actually, pray tell me what the Sorcerer power is going to be? 
What are the Ranger powers like?
If each of us is asking for spoilers about their own guide, any basic attacks in the mix?
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Goblin racial write-up/feats/powers, please.

Really interested in playing one.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I'm more curious about where you picked up your copy of the book.  Are general bookstores getting this one or is it a Gamestore-only release?
Spoil the goblins please, at least enough for a level 1 character.

Small with speed 6, low-light vision and bonuses to Bluff and Stealth.

New assassin powers please! Very curious.

Blinding Menace - Assassin Attack 7
Cloaking yourself in nightmare, you hide from any creature that might interfere with your attack against your foe.
Encounter * Illusion, Implement, Psychic, Shadow
Standard Action - Ranged 5
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Will
Hit: 2d10 + Dexterity modifier psychic damage
Effect: Until the end of your next turn or until you attack, you are invisible to all enemies other than the target, including those that have tremorsense or blindsense.

Dare I inquire about the Seeker power?

Short Shot Onslaught - Seeker Attack 13
Your time spent underground has forced you to adapt to skirmishing in close quarters.
Encounter * Primal, Weapon
Standard Action - Close burst 3
Target: One, two, or three creatures in the burst.
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage.
Effect: After all of this power's attacks are resolved, you can use a free action to shift up to 2 squares for each attack that hit. You ignore difficult terrain during this movement.

Are Svirnefblin small?

Yes. They are. (:

Sorc power(s) please!

Stormy Emotions - Sorcerer Attack 3
Weaving raw emotion into your spell, you unlease a brutal attack against those around you.
Encounter * Arcane, Cold, Implement, Lightning
Standard Action - Close burst 2
Target: Each creature in the burst
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d10 cold and lightning damage, and you can push the target 1 square and knock it prone.

Fighter plox!

Pitiless Grapple - Fighter Attack 9
You grip your foe mercilessly, striking terrifying blows as it struggles to escape.
Daily * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action - Melee 1
Requirement: You must have at least one hand free.
Target: One creature.
Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you grab the target. Until the grab ends, your melee attacks against the target can score a critical hit on a roll of 18-20.
Miss: Half damage.

Would love to know the Artificer power

Armor of Darkness - Artificer Attack 7
Your armor is imbued with a tenebrous and chaotic shadow, which lases out in defense, sapping your foes' life force to bolster your own.
Encounter * Arcane, Cold, Implement, Necrotic
Immediate Reaction - Melee 1
Trigger: An adjacent enemy attacks you.
Target: The triggering enemy.
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier cold and necrotic damage.
Effect: You and each ally adjacent to you gain 5 temporary hit points.

Hmm...Bloodsworn and Escaped Thrall themes sound intriguing. Or just Escaped Thrall, if you're not going to do both.

Escaped Thrall gets 1 power point at first level, and an augmentable encounter power that grants psychic resistance, saving throw bonuses, and spontaneous saving throws. Fifth level yields Deep Speech as a bonus language, and a +2 power bonus to Dungeoneering checks. Level 10 grants a +1 power bonus to Will.

Goblin feats, please?

Here's my favorite.

Wrist Biter
When you slip away from an attacker, you can't help but get in one last jab. Your quick retaliation might not hurt much, but as the old goblin saying goes, "Death by a thousand cuts is the best kind of death."
Prerequisite: Goblin, goblin tactics racial power
Benefit: When you use goblin tactics in response to an adjacent enemy's attack, the enemy takes 1d4 damage right before you shift. This damage increases to 2d4 at 11th level and 3d4 at 21st level.
Has Goblin Tactics been changed from the Compendium?
Has Goblin Tactics been changed from the Compendium?

The only change is that the trigger now reads as

"An enemy misses you with a melee attack."

A subtle difference, but an important one.
Thanks. So it's still an At-Will?
If it's any good, the Paladin power, please? If not, clarify the Warlock one.

Stormy Emotions - Sorcerer Attack 3
Weaving raw emotion into your spell, you unlease a brutal attack against those around you.
Encounter * Arcane, Cold, Implement, Lightning
Standard Action - Close burst 2
Target: Each creature in the burst
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d10 cold and lightning damage, and you can push the target 1 square and knock it prone.

Why would they bother writing a level 3 power which would only be taken by Dragonborn at level 7? Siiigh.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Battlemind power, please and thank you.
That brawler power is nuts. I think it beats out Bare-Knuckle Rebuke for the level 9 daily.
What is the deep gnome's racial power?
Mind spoiling the scrolls we saw in this weeks preview? Like, are there any other ones?
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
Cleric and Warlord powers please.
What do you think how long it will take for the new stuff to be added to the CharacterBuilder?
What do you think how long it will take for the new stuff to be added to the CharacterBuilder?

My guess is they will update the builder on the 15th, since that's the street date of the book. 
The warlord power was a joke, it gives +2 to attack an enemy (perhaps that enemy), in difficult terrain. It was a lot of conditionals from what I remember.