How do auras work with pixies?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've created a summer sentinel pixie and plan on riding the bear (chevalier theme for mounted combat). The bear has an aura 1 that gives allies +2 to all defenses so would it effect me while being in the same square? I recall that auras are burst 1, but also that creatures in the same square as a pixie are counted as adjacent. How would this work? 
I've created a summer sentinel pixie and plan on riding the bear (chevalier theme for mounted combat). The bear has an aura 1 that gives allies +2 to all defenses so would it effect me while being in the same square? I recall that auras are burst 1, but also that creatures in the same square as a pixie are counted as adjacent. How would this work? 

Auras are not bursts. You get the defense bonus, because you are in the aura. Even the bear is in the aura, but since he is not his own ally, he does not get the benefit.

Thank you for clearing this up! 
Even the bear is in the aura, but since he is not his own ally, he does not get the benefit.

Not exactly.

An Aura always fills the creature’s space and each square within a specified distance of it and it is normally unaffected by its own aura, regardless of the target's type it affect. 

Fills an Area: The aura fills the creature’s space and each square that is both within a specified distance of the creature and within line of effect of it. For instance, an aura 1 affects each square adjacent to the creature. A creature is normally unaffected by its own aura. 
"a creature is normally unaffected by its own aura" is not a rule.  A creature is within the aura it generates, period.  Whether it is affected by the aura depends on the aura.  The "for instance" line is correct, but incomplete.  The first sentence after Fills an Area is what is really important, and that fully specifies the rule.

For the record, your space is affected by a close burst.  The close burst rules say that you are not affected by it, unless otherwise specified, but they say nothing about exempting your space.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
"a creature is normally unaffected by its own aura" is not a rule.  A creature is within the aura it generates, period.  Whether it is affected by the aura depends on the aura.  The "for instance" line is correct, but incomplete.  The first sentence after Fills an Area is what is really important, and that fully specifies the rule.

For the record, your space is affected by a close burst.  The close burst rules say that you are not affected by it, unless otherwise specified, but they say nothing about exempting your space.

If this was the case, then they would not have needed to clarify that a PC riding a mount and using a close burst power would have the potential to hit their mount by the burst.  From your "For the record" this would have always been the case. 
Had they not said anything, the burst would hit the mount, as per the rules.  After clarifying that it hits the mount, then the burst would still hit the mount, since the rules about bursts haven't changed.  What it does is preempt the "well it doesn't hit me, therefore it shouldn't hit my mount" line of reasoning.

The burst rules and close attack rules are explicitly clear about this.  Close bursts include the space of the originating creature, but they exempt the originating creature.
"a creature is normally unaffected by its own aura" is not a rule.

It it a Rule as much as the area it fills includes its space is or the rest of the description of it, i don't know why you try to argue that Mand. Unless noted otherwise, your Aura never affect you, period.

If you have an Aura that damage creatures starting their turn in it, you don't take this damage because the general Rule on Auras excludes you.  

RAW An Oublivae is unaffected by its Perish Alone Aura specifically because of this Rule gouverning all Auras.

Perish Alone: Any creature that starts its turn within the aura and is not adjacent to an ally takes 10 damage. This damage increases to 15 if Oublivae is bloodied. 
Hm.  Retracted.  That pesky "normally" word throws me off...
Sign In to post comments