Contest- Art topdown 3

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Make a card with this piece by Marco Hasmann

2/3 of the gradings will be based on the art.  Flavor is important.  The last third will be a mix of balance, plausibility and creativity.

I'll give a warning before I close it in a couple of days
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Eclipse       
Enchantment
All lands are Swamps and Plains.
All creatures lose all abilities and are 2/2 white and black Zombie Townsfolk.
The black rays of the Moonsun fell upon the land, revealing this world's true form.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Resurrected Asp
Land

: Add to your mana pool.
: Add or to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control an Island, Swamp or Mountain.

"The heart of Grixis still beats. That alone is reason to fight."
–Adla, Vithian survivor

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Dang, It's like Grixis and New Phyrexia got together and drew a tree.

Dystopia, the Tainted Vis

Legendary Land

: Add , , or to your mana pool. Put a doom counter on ~.

At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has five or more doom counters on it, sacrifice it. If you do, destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.

Life is never given on Grixis. It is mearly lent.
Trail of Dead
Land
Trail of Dead enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
You may play Trail of Dead from your graveyard. If Trail of Dead enters the battlefield from your graveyard, you may pay to destroy all creatures. They cannot be regenerated.
"Blaze the underbelly with no remorse" - ... And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
The Tree of the Damned
Legendary Land (Rare)
Add to your mana pool, put two -1/-1 counters on a creature you control.
You may cast target creature card in your graveyard this turn.
When you die, you are either on the edge of death, or the edge of life - depending how you look at it.

Thanks, vlord.
Tree of the Damned

Creature - Plant
Defender
If damage would be dealt to Tree of the Damned, put that many -1/-1 counters on it instead
: Exchange target opponent's life total with Tree of the Damned's toughness.
0/13

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Bloodwood Trapper -
Creature - Zombie Treefolk
Creatures opponents control must attack each turn if able.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls attacks put a +1/+1 counter on Bloodwood Trapper.
0/6
Its pheromones intoxicate it victims as they rend their flesh for its roots to take hold.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Gristlewillow -
Creature - Plant
Defender, deathtouch
Whenever another creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
, remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Add to your mana pool.
0/2

Shameless Self-Promotion

These are the MTG Fiction pieces I have written:

Planes of the Dual-Walkers
Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers
Numerous poems in The Poetry Plane
Magic: The Musical

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

Desecration of the Woodlands :brm::brm::brm:

Enchantment

White creatures and Green creatures get -1/-1
Red creatures and Black creatures get +1/+1 

By the time the elves realized the futility
of their prayers, the plague was already upon them.  
Black Sun's Zenith

But in all seriousness...

Tribute to the Damned
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices all creatures he or she controls.
But Black Sun's Zenith is totally the direction I'm going with my card, so tough! 

Dael'Zar, the Timber of Ruination
Legendary Land
Whenever a creature dies, put death counter on ~.

: Add  to your mana pool.

Remove X death counters from ~, : Put X -1/-1 counters on each creature.

Death does not discriminate.  All shall fall to heel as evil flowers the land.
I vote CKY's card with Ravenofthedamned's card name. Also Raven's card is sweet.
The Widowbark -
Legendary Creature - Plant
~ is indestructible.
Whenever another creature you control would die, regenerate it unless target opponent pays life equal to ~'s power.
At the bough of the world corpses pray for a second life at the roots of the Widowbark.
0/3
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Slaughtarbor
Land - Forest R
(: Add to your mana pool.)
Slaughtarbor enters the battlefield tapped unless a creature died this turn.
: Add to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if a creature died this turn.
Argh! Seeing some of these designs makes me wonder why I bother to weigh in with these guys...they're stone-cold designaz!
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Presence of the Overlich
Enchantment
Whenever a permanent enters the battlefield, if a player played it from his or her hand, that player returns to the battlefield a permanent card in his or her graveyard that shares a card type with the first permanent, then sacrifices the first permanent.

Bloodfeed |
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices all creatures they control. Each player's life total becomes equal to the number of creatures they sacrifice in this way.
"Each heart drained brings me no joy - all I feel is my power slipping as the cursed Tree drinks the world." - Ob Nixilis

Oh hey, sorry Frog, didn't see how similar your card was.
Is this contest still going on? Just wondering.

Shameless Self-Promotion

These are the MTG Fiction pieces I have written:

Planes of the Dual-Walkers
Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers
Numerous poems in The Poetry Plane
Magic: The Musical

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

That art is amazing.
I'll see if I can make something, but I don't have many ideas atm, so probably not.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Contest closed 
worship the horn

RwtA= Relation with the Art
BPC= Balance/Plausibility/Creativity

For this contest, the focus should be put, in order, on: 1- the tree; 2- death; 3- the relation between 1 and 2; 4- the worshipping or praying.

Azure Shade

Eclipse      
Enchantment
All lands are Swamps and Plains.
All creatures lose all abilities and are 2/2 white and black Zombie Townsfolk.
The black rays of the Moonsun fell upon the land, revealing this world's true form.

RwtA  1/10 -The forcus is on the sun when it should clearly be on the tree.  White has no business being there.
BPC  4/5 -The effects are neat.  A humility for everything (kinda) works with those colors. Townsfolk though...
total 5/10

CKY

Resurrected Asp
Land
: Add to your mana pool.
: Add or to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control an Island, Swamp or Mountain.

RwtA  7/10 -This is good meaning but I don't see the inclusion of island and white being at its best in there.  Also, it then feels to be a cycle, therefore the art lose some of its awesomeness.
BPC  5/5 -Please WotC print this cycle.
total  12-15

Tekkahedron

Dystopia, the Tainted Vis
Legendary Land
Add , , or to your mana pool. Put a doom counter on ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has five or more doom counters on it, sacrifice it. If you do, destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.
Life is never given on Grixis. It is mearly lent.

RwtA  5/10 -I just can't see white in there.  This is mainly black with a dip of red (blood, spires) and green (tree).  I see the grixis though
BPC  1/5  -Holy overpowered!  Minor drawback (legend) to a 3 colors land is already on the OP side, then add a free and uncounterable wiper!  I don't think so.
total  6/10

SimonGlume

Trail of Dead
Land
Trail of Dead enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
You may play Trail of Dead from your graveyard. If Trail of Dead enters the battlefield from your graveyard, you may pay to destroy all creatures. They cannot be regenerated.
"Blaze the underbelly with no remorse" - ... And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

RwtA  6/10 -I'm missing the allusion to the tree.  The rest is real nice though but the tree is the important element.  This is for topdown.
BPC  3/5 -Unlike Tekkahedron's wiper, this one has enough drawback to not be broken.  But, destroying all creatures every turn can be easy (zuran orb and etc).
total 9/15

vlord

The Tree of the Damned
Legendary Land (Rare)
Add to your mana pool, put two -1/-1 counters on a creature you control.
You may cast target creature card in your graveyard this turn.
When you die, you are either on the edge of death, or the edge of life - depending how you look at it.

RwtA  8/10 -Awesome but I dislike the white activation.
BPC  3/10 -Two very good abilites seems broken but no colorless mana keeps it in check. 
total  11/15

Tevish_szat

Tree of the Damned 
Creature - Plant
Defender
If damage would be dealt to Tree of the Damned, put that many -1/-1 counters on it instead
Exchange target opponent's life total with Tree of the Damned's toughness.
0/13

RwtA  9/10 -This is the closest one to what I imagined but left out some elements. (Funny naming right after vlord's card but looking at time, obviously not meant)
BPC  2/10-Reversed Tree of Redemption is too good.  I mean, already with just him, you can take life's total 7 down, then its really easy to have it go down.  Will also just stop attacking.
total  11/15

Dudibus

Bloodwood Trapper -
Creature - Zombie Treefolk
Creatures opponents control must attack each turn if able.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls attacks put a +1/+1 counter on Bloodwood Trapper.
0/6

Its pheromones intoxicate it victims as they rend their flesh for its roots to take hold.
RwtA  4/10 -Not a treefolk. Missing some key elements like death (even if your flavor text implies it)
BPC  4/5 -Really well designed but could be mono red or maybe red/green. I guess 3-colored could still happen in a set like Alara.
total 8/15

RavenoftheBlack

Gristlewillow -
Creature - Plant
Defender, deathtouch
Whenever another creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
, remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Add to your mana pool.
0/2

RwtA  8/10 -Doesn't look like a willow much (yeah I'm nitpicking at things) and the art is more black then green.  If it was only producing black, it would be much better.  The rest is pretty good
BPC  3/5 -Needs support since its starting toughness/mana cost won't have it live for long. The rest is good
total  11/15

Taramoor

Desecration of the Woodlands [br][br][br]
Enchantment
White creatures and Green creatures get -1/-1
Red creatures and Black creatures get +1/+1
By the time the elves realized the futility of their prayers, the plague was already upon them.  

RwtA  7/10 -A different look at it (the desolation)  Not impossible but not what I have seen to begin with. Hybrid is out of place but The effects works.
BPC  3/5 -I don't really like hybrid here either.  b/r woud have been much more suited.  The overall cmc and ther/b teaming works good.
total

EyeballFrog

Tribute to the Damned
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices all creatures he or she controls.

RwtA  0/5 -This is a art topdown contest.
BPC  4/5 -Has been done often for black wiper on this board.  Mana cost is real good for this.
total  4/11

Freyjann

Dael'Zar, the Timber of Ruination
Legendary Land
Whenever a creature dies, put death counter on ~.
: Add  to your mana pool.
Remove X death counters from ~, : Put X -1/-1 counters on each creature.
Death does not discriminate.  All shall fall to heel as evil flowers the land.

RwtA  9/10 -Tree + death works great and we get the feeling this is a bad place to hang around. 
BPC  2/5 -On each creatures!?!  Way too good!
total 11/5

theScion

The Widowbark -
Legendary Creature - Plant
~ is indestructible.
Whenever another creature you control would die, regenerate it unless target opponent pays life equal to ~'s power.
At the bough of the world corpses pray for a second life at the roots of the Widowbark.
0/3

RwtA  5/10 -I dont see this being w/g/b.
BPC  2/10 -I like the use of those 3 colors with these effects. Main problem is that you can't regenerate a creature that is sacrificed or gets minus to its toughness down to zero, even if it dies. Confusing and won't work.
total  7/15

Elzaban_the_Ethereal

Slaughtarbor
Land - Forest R
(: Add to your mana pool.)
Slaughtarbor enters the battlefield tapped unless a creature died this turn.
: Add to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if a creature died this turn.

RwtA  8/10 -Works really good with the two main subjects (tree and death) but too still green to my taste
BPC  5/5 -Love this. forestfetchable + unique + simple + well balanced. I don't rate rarities but this could be uncommon
total 13/15

metalevolence

Presence of the Overlich
Enchantment
Whenever a permanent enters the battlefield, if a player played it from his or her hand, that player returns to the battlefield a permanent card in his or her graveyard that shares a card type with the first permanent, then sacrifices the first permanent
RwtA  2/10 -Sorry metalevolence but did you get this was a art topdown contest?  I mean, the card is supposed to be based on the art. You have the "death" part right.
BPC  3/5 -What happen if none of that type of permanent is in the graveyard?  I like the overall idea and it's something that could fit these colors but work on the wording, it's atrocious.
total  5/10

Imidazoline

Bloodfeed |
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices all creatures they control. Each player's life total becomes equal to the number of creatures they sacrifice in this way.
"Each heart drained brings me no joy - all I feel is my power slipping as the cursed Tree drinks the world." - Ob Nixilis

RwtA  4/10 -There should be some tree thing going on.  Abstract doesn't work for this art because of the central point (which is the tree).  It fits the card since it is really black and you feel the suffering.  That's about it,
BPC  5/5 -Haven't rated one of your card for a while (i think) You always been good at this.  Biorythm for black is actually much more fair and awesome then it's green counterpart. 
total  9/10

WINNER

Elzaban_the_Ethereal !!!

worship the horn
Sign In to post comments