theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers : Kevok of Keld

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

Parade of Planeswalkers   |   Kevok of Keld

The nation of Keld is a land of tattered war banners, each petrified by the years of blood soaked into their tapestry. The rifts that ravaged all of Dominaria brought the Gatha's experimental creatures to fight the Keldons: brother against mutated brother. Years were spent following half-blood Doyens like Radha, and though her rule was just, it was not without opposition. Opposition fueled by something else that came from the rifts: straggling numbers of pure-blood Keldons. Of these, the mightiest was Kevok.

Kevok was not a mindless warmonger. He was of a mighty stock of Keldons who would serve Kradak and rule the plumes of fire mana needed to help the Keldons survive the north of Icehaven. But among them, he was known as a thinker: an asset to any ruler with a heart and loyalty that was without question. And now, in a time where the spine of Keld has been broken atop the ruination of Dominaria, Kevok returns to look for a ruler to throw his banner and his factions behind. Radha is most definitely NOT it.

Kevok drove deep into the valleys of Icehaven to rally villages to his banner, besting in combat all the mightiest heroes of each town he visits. The valleys of Keld are rich in red mana, standing at the root of the mountains whose mana fuels her people. Radha has taken note of this, and both her emissaries sent to parlay and warriors sent to subdue Kevok have been sent back in clay urns of ash. This was enough to call Radha to face the growing threat personally.

It was a blistering-cold day when Radha and her warriors met Kevok. He greeted her while working in the smithy with the village blacksmith, his personal guard busy sharing their rations with the destitute of the town. Radha was there to arrest and try Kevok, but Kevok was there to size Radha up. Their conversation was brief before a few of her best warriors were bid to attack Kevok. With a kick of dust, Kevok dove near the kiln while Radha's guard struck nothing but the cluttered racks of weapons with their halberds. Kevok reached into the kiln and drew its fire, encircling his fists with a halo of fire. He caught a swinging halberd bare-fisted and cupped a hand of the other Keldon in his flaming grip. In one motion, Kevok had melted one warrior's weapon while burning the hands of the other. He pushed them back and stood ready, but did not attack. Kevok was haloed in fire, but his face was stone. "Come to the summit of Kinnivek, let us settle this in a fight on the megaliths there." he spoke with a voice that showed neither anger nor fear. Radha agreed.

It is not known what happened upon the summit of Kinnivek. Radha and her remaining warriors followed Kevok and his guard from the village to a small outpost at the base of Kinnivek. From there they would supply and climb three days. Each outpost grew more abandoned. Each outpost swelled with numbers of warriors on both sides who could not fight the blizzards of Kinnivek. Only Radha and Kevok reached the summit. Keldon warriors would not speak of it, but it is rumored that Kevok returned with Radha slung over his mighty shoulder. He left her at the last manned outpost, and returned down the mountain, taking his most loyal warriors and never returning to the land of Keld.

Kevok's wrath is as terrible as his loyalty, but never served cruelly. He doesn't seek to oppress, but ignite passion in those he leads. He doesn't stand dissidents, apathy, or cowardice. And to stand with Kevok means to follow him, even unto the doom of the world.

[spoiler Kevok of Keld]
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2176590/Planeswalkers/Kevok%20of%20Keld.jpg)
[/spoiler]

Comments and criticisms appreciated!
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
That +3 ability is some crazy spot removal.  On first use it does 8 damage.  Even at 1 loyalty it's a Flame Slash.  That said, any particular reason for "an opponent controls" in that ability?

-9 ability should be worded as "Each opponent chooses 3 permanents he or she controls, then sacrifices the rest."
Yea maybe +3 is a bit much. Since the creature hits Kevok too, anything with power 3 or greater turns it into a minus ability. Still, the ability is so good +2 may be the way to go. The reason its an opponent is flavor and also to stop bounce shenanigans. Since the loyalty change is a cost, if the target dissaears he just gains buku loyalty.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Scion of Darkness does not approve.

Radha got owned and it was never the other way around. 

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

It's usually a good rule of thumb for planeswalkers to have a + ability that they can nearly always use. It's not obligatory, but something to consider.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

It's usually a good rule of thumb for planeswalkers to have a + ability that they can nearly always use. It's not obligatory, but something to consider.

Yeah pretty true, even if it does nothing ala Chandra Ablaze. Happy to take suggestions here. 

Scion of Darkness does not approve.

Radha got owned and it was never the other way around. 

Not sure what Scion of Darkness has to do with anything. In the current timeline, Radha currently rules Keld.
Based on community feedback, made a bunch of changes to Kevok. Hope you enjoy!
so we're to assume he does damage equal to his loyalty right

note that garruk relentless has to spell the whole thing out. I don't think Fight is supported by the rules on anything but creatures.

pretty awesome design on the +2 though, highest power is a great and flavorful idea.
so we're to assume he does damage equal to his loyalty right

note that garruk relentless has to spell the whole thing out. I don't think Fight is supported by the rules on anything but creatures.

pretty awesome design on the +2 though, highest power is a great and flavorful idea.

Yea, this totally banks on adding to the fight rules specifically for this card and Garruk, Relentless. Sounds out there but it's super-easy to grok, no? You totally knew how it worked without any reminder text. I'm positive players will think the same thing.

Thanks a lot on the comments! I thought with his background story, that his new + ability worked so well flavorfully! Props to Mown who pointed out how planeswalker + abilities can all be used on an empty board. I'm a bit embarassed to say I had never noticed that before. The exception is ONE of Elspeth, Knight Errant's + abilities, and if you used the OTHER one, you can use that one. Honorable mention goes to Chandra, Ablaze's + ability, which can be used, but does nothing, if you have no red cards in hand. Because of his comment, the design is better.

On a related note: I hope that one thing this planeswalker endeavor can do is reinforce how great community involvement can be in design. I hope in some small way I can show others how to better listen to peers, digest their comments, and subsequently produce better designs. Kevok is just one example of that.
As a rule fan, I don't even know what it does. Imagine what a casual player would think.

Does it deals damage equal to the loyalty counter? Loyalty is more "associated" with "toughness" than power. And which loyalty do we count? the one before or after you paid the cost? I think it's likely after.... but then again.... it's just not very clear.

Also Something that is neat about garruk relentless is that he has a "Set" power. he doesn't grow "stronger" as he's more "loyal" to you, which makes great flavor sense, While yours is the opposite.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
As a rule fan, I don't even know what it does. Imagine what a casual player would think.

Does it deals damage equal to the loyalty counter? Loyalty is more "associated" with "toughness" than power. And which loyalty do we count? the one before or after you paid the cost? I think it's likely after.... but then again.... it's just not very clear.

Also Something that is neat about garruk relentless is that he has a "Set" power. he doesn't grow "stronger" as he's more "loyal" to you, which makes great flavor sense, While yours is the opposite.

I disagree and think it's easy to grok what it does. It works as you think it does on first blush. You use his loyalty on resolution, as changing loyalty is a cost, not an effect. A planeswalker doesn't have too many knobs to pick when you think of it fighting a creature, which further reinforces my view.

This guy beats control decks pretty hard, because if they have no creature when he uses his +2, then it's free. He just gains 2 loyalty instead of fighting. He also just Lava Axes them if you want.

Mine is the opposite of Garruk Relentless specifically because that's who he is. Every warrior bested makes him stronger, more convicted, more seasoned. It's quite telling of the character of Kevok, and I wouldn't count it as a drawback because it doesn't work like schizo-garruk.
The important part isn't that people grok it.  It's that it should work within MtG rules, which it doesn't.  The idea is great, but wrongly worded. 

''Kevok of Keld deals damage equal to its number of loyalty counter to target creature. That creature deals damage equal to its power to him.''  People will understand even better and it works within the rules.

From the Comprehensive Rules:

• 701.10.Fight

• 701.10a A spell or ability may instruct a creature to fight another creature or it may instruct two creatures to fight each other. Each of those creatures deals damage equal to its power to the other creature.

• 701.10b If a creature instructed to fight is no longer on the battlefield or is no longer a creature, no damage is dealt. If a creature is an illegal target for a resolving spell or ability that instructs it to fight, no damage is dealt.

• 701.10c If a creature fights itself, it deals damage equal to its power to itself twice.

• 701.10d The damage dealt when a creature fights isn’t combat damage.

worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Hiya! Thanks for looking. My responses below!
The important part isn't that people grok it.  It's that it should work within MtG rules, which it doesn't.  The idea is great, but wrongly worded. 

The important part is, and always will be, if people get it and want to do it. The rules are here for us as tools, not bars. The choice of using the rules to facilitate awesomeness is an imperative we have as designers. The question isn't whether we can, but whether we should.

''Kevok of Keld deals damage equal to its number of loyalty counter to target creature. That creature deals damage equal to its power to him.''  People will understand even better and it works within the rules.

You'll notice your rewording doesn't do what Kevok does with his + ability. I had it worded within the rules before, and it looked ok:

"Kevok of Keld deals damage equal to his loyalty to the creature target player controls with the greatest power. That creature deals damage equal to its power to Kevok."

But what you miss with that description is central to why I think it's worth adding to the rules: Kevok fights. That's what he does. He doesn't do rules shenanigans that amount to him fighting. That mess up there? That's rules allowing him to pretend to fight. He doesn't pretend. He fights. Adding a rule for planeswalkers fighting can be done.

Now, is it worth it? I think so because:

1. That's what Kevok is doing. We can pretend its not by hiding it under rules text, but he is, in actuality, fighting.

2. It isn't confusing for players. Not to get too anecdotal, but everyone I've run this card across seems to get it on first blush. I could be wrong and am open to evidence of it.

3. It's damn awesome for a planeswalker to fight. This is one that is hard to argue. I'm not talking about Chandra Nalaar using her + ability and redirecting it to a planeswalker. That's more of a ping. I'm talking about...heck man, did you even see his fists? He wants to fiiiiight! Let him be free to love the ways of pugilism!

My opinion isn't the be-all end-all, but I do firmly believe it's awesome enough to add to the rules.

What do you all think?

[spoiler don't open unless you're a douche]

1. Circular argument

2. Anecdotal evidence and confirmation bias

3. Emotional Plea

I know how arguments work. I'll put this out there to head off this discussion and hopefully get some salient points about what I'm saying, not how I'm saying it.

[/spoiler]