Intimidate bloodied monsters

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
A player in our group stated if you pass an intimidate skill check on a bloodied monster he will surrender. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, just wondering if there are any feats, powers, or class abilitys that allow this?
From the Compendium, under 'Intimidate':
        Action: Standard action. Outside combat, the DM might allow an adventurer to make the check as part of another action.
        Opposed Check: Against a monster’s Will. (Adventurers can also try to intimidate DM-controlled characters.) The monster gains a +5 bonus to Will against the check if it is unfriendly to the adventurer, or a +10 bonus if it is hostile. If an adventurer attempts to intimidate multiple monsters at once, make a separate Intimidate check against each monster’s Will. Each monster must be able to see and hear the adventurer.
    If a monster doesn’t have defenses specified, the DM should select an appropriate DC from the Difficulty Class by Level table, usually a moderate or a hard DC of the adventurer’s level.
    This check fails automatically against a monster that is immune to fear. The DM might decide that this check also fails automatically against a monster, such as a golem or a skeleton, that acts under some form of magical compulsion.
        Success: The adventurer forces a bloodied monster to surrender, gets a monster to reveal a secret, or cows a monster into taking some other action. This skill is not mind control, so a cowed monster is unlikely to take any action that would cause immediate harm to itself.
        Failure: In combat, the adventurer can’t try again against the monster during the same encounter.
        Target Becomes Hostile: Whether or not the check succeeds, using this skill against a monster usually makes it unfriendly or hostile toward the adventurer.

This is printed in the PHB under the Intimidate skill.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
A player in our group stated if you pass an intimidate skill check on a bloodied monster he will surrender. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, just wondering if there are any feats, powers, or class abilitys that allow this?

In addition to what Salla said:

The important things to remember are:
* takes a Standard Action
* targets monster's "Will+10" AT LEAST, with actual DC dependent on GM call
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
I have a related question that has come up in our game.

Does the bloodied status of the PC making the intimidate check matter at all?

Can a bloodied PC make an intimidate against a bloodied enemy? 
By default, whether or not the PC is bloodied makes no difference. It is possible to modify the DC based on this, but probably not a good general practice. Something that gains a significant attack advantage vs a bloodied target might be a good candidate for a +2 DC modifier.
Sign In to post comments