Pro Tour Avacyn Restored

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is to discuss Pro Tour Avacyn Restored, which begins Friday, May 11. The three-day live video webcast begins at 3 a.m. ET on Friday. To find the start time in your time zone, visit the webcast home page.

The Pro Tour formats are Innistrad/Avacyn Restored Block Constructed and Avacyn Restored Booster Draft, with a Block Constructed Top 8.
sweet
I am watching the stream and I can literally count the pixels on the screen. During the deck tech with Conley, BDM was holding cards towards the cam and most of them were hardly recognizeable. It's even worse when the cam moves arround. What is this, 2002 ? Props for increasing the coverage staff and everything but all goes down the drain if the quality of the primary channel to the viewers is as low as this.
With great power comes great responsibility. - Stan Lee Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. - Bertrand Russell MTGO Agent - The place to buy and sell your Magic Online cards
I watched Jurkovic with my own eyes use Restoration Angel to blink his Sigarda, which should be an illegal target.  Did anyone catch this and correct the situation?
Bring back Ashas Favor+Brakenwater Elemental!

Also, how did the guy in the tournament center intro get harvester of souls in play?
Nasif just won a game 1, with only 9 minutes left in the match. He was clearly stalling, stack shuffling either 5 or 6 times between the round. People were saying how nice Nasif is, but that was obviously some gamesmanship, trying to run out the round. That is a tactic that I strongly dislike, and I think it's bad form.

I am loving the coverage though. Very good quality. My only suggestion would be a camera-rail rig, where you can position the camera over any table in the room.
Nasif just won a game 1, with only 9 minutes left in the match. He was clearly stalling, stack shuffling either 5 or 6 times between the round. People were saying how nice Nasif is, but that was obviously some gamesmanship, trying to run out the round. That is a tactic that I strongly dislike, and I think it's bad form.

That's just bs. You need to shuffle properly even if there's not much time left on the clock. He mulliganed several times, and there was nothing strange about those mulligans either since the viewers could see his draws and they were definitely bad.

So no, players aren't obliged to do poor shuffles and lose just because the round is about to end.
He got a warning for shuffling for more than 3 minutes he then also argued with the judge for some time. He also argued with the opponent if he used white mana from the Cavern of Souls. He did try to stall the game and eventualy he did succed in that.
Great show! What I'd love to see added is some more footage from the "floor". Just walk through the hall and do something like quick interviews or simply show the people sitting at their 140ish tables. It gives that PT feeling, that you miss so much if you have experienced before. =]

That's just bs. You need to shuffle properly even if there's not much time left on the clock. He mulliganed several times, and there was nothing strange about those mulligans either since the viewers could see his draws and they were definitely bad.

So no, players aren't obliged to do poor shuffles and lose just because the round is about to end.

Yeah, I agree that shuffling is key, especially after a long game like that one, but his opponenent had sided, shuffled, and presented the deck for cut two minutes before Nasif was even warned by the table judge. Then, Nasif continued to shuffle while they were waiting on the event judge. It wasn't really that Nasif broke the three minute rule, it was that he did it so blatently. As for the mulligans, I agree, except when he was at five cards.

My original point was that if he wanted to be shady, which he clearly was, he should have taken a couple of mulligans. Even with a fine hand, shuffling on a mulligan isn't included in the three minute rule between rounds. It's still bad form, but he played an excellent game one.

Also, how did the guy in the tournament center intro get harvester of souls in play?

Yeah I was thinking that, there's only G and W mana on his side of the board.
Is it just me or is the replay stream totally FUBAR?  Video playing slowly and audio normal speed resulting in really bad sync problems.

So I either have to watch the live stream, which is on in the very early morning due to the time diffrence or watch the replay that has sound from the future?   Doesn't seem good.

I'm glad for the increased event coverage but maybe make it actually watchable?
i'm pretty sure i watched kai effing budde battle back from an 0-1 start to defeat his opponent 2-1.

i say "pretty sure" because i'm not totally sure that's what happened.  the whole time i was watching it the announcers were talking about gerard fabliwhogivesa**** game.

this is very upsetting.  these videos are hard to find after the tour's over so i was trying to be proactive and make plans to watch it "live" but sadly it turned out to be a huge waste of time.

i feel really bad for marshall sutcliffe, because this is the perfect place for him to have the spotlight and noone is getting to fully appreciate his talent here. 

this has also been going on since at least 8:00 PM, EST.  it is now 11:30.  why have you allowed 3 1/2 hrs to go by without addressing this issue?!  

does noone at wizards actually monitor what they put out?

is nobody actually reading the 20+ chat responses that all mention the problem??? 
The replays are all being broadcast incorrectly.

You can watch some of the archived videos on through the archives on the Twitch.tv page.

Day 1: www.twitch.tv/magicprotour/b/317820997
Day 2: www.twitch.tv/magicprotour/b/317924960

The WotC production team was not getting the stream sent out to Twitch correctly for the first couple of rounds, so the video archive for day 1 doesn't start until they are running commentary between rounds 2 and 3.

For day 2, the final turns of the round 16 feature match are cut off - I can only assume the broadcast to Twitch got messed up again at that point.
i feel really bad for marshall sutcliffe, because this is the perfect place for him to have the spotlight and noone is getting to fully appreciate his talent here. 

I completly disagree! Whenever I hear his voice I immidiatly mute the speakers. I hate arogant people who think they know everything when in reality they don't. BDM had to explain Marshall why a Mikaeus, the Lunarch exiled by a Fiend Hunter is basicly dead and would not return to the battlefield (alive). 

His interview skills are abysmal. His question are structered in a way that the other person can only respond with a yes or a no. He doesn't give them any room to manuvere in an interview. If he inteviews someone I want to hear what the OTHER person has to say and not what Marshall thinks about that topic.

I also dislike that he is so self centered. He spelled out his name and his website (podcast site) more times than the name of the pro tour itself! I get a feeling that he is there only to make a name for himself.

A few GPs ago after an interview with Paul Rietzl he had the nerve to say that he was suprised that Paul had good knowledge of drafting. Really?! You were suprised that a pro player knows what he's talking about?
i actually agree with you about marshall's interview skills, he does love the sound of his own voice and ALWAYS interrupts people to interject his own opinion.  this has bothered me in the past, particularly during his podcast while ryan was still on it.  ryan never got a chance to actually speak. right now jon has to fight to get his words in.  

i thought this protour would have him dealing with more limited play and that was what i was referring to when i said it was his chance in the spotlight. i do respect the effort he puts into limited play and i thought he'd be captaining that boat.  i wasn't really prepared for him narrating the constructed play, where he also CONSTANTLY INTERRUPTS PEOPLE. i want to say he's just nervous because he's on camera here, but i can't because i've listened to his podcast so long.

twitch tv is terrible and why do they post these videos in 9 - 11 - 12 hr blocks?!?!  break them up into rounds and maybe you won't have the extreme lag during playback!!!!

i know i sound like a troll, but i honestly love magic and this website and most of what they put out, i think wizards does a great job for the most part.  i'm just frustrated that most people (rightfully) felt slighted and ignored by wizards and subsequently abandoned the protour to watch scglive.  

this is totally backwards, scg should be looking to wizards for their business model not the other way around. this protour had jon finkel and KAI BUDDE alongside almost every other awesome pro and people were leaving it just for better quality video playback. 

sad in the pants.  
I thought the video coverage was generally awesome and enjoyed it quite a bit, apparently in contrast to most of the rest of the commenters here. I really like being able to watch players who I have heard of before, though - getting to watch Finkel, Budde, etc. is excellent - which ironically meant that when I woke up on Sunday, turned on the stream, and saw that Finkel had been eliminated, I didn't bother to watch the top 4. A little silly that days 1 & 2 are more exciting for me on account of the feature match selection adding a lot of interest. I can't imagine how this is 'solvable', though - I guess by creating the Player Championship!
Sign In to post comments