Sankora: The Desert Awaits

54 posts / 0 new
Last post

(I haven't decided which font I like better.)

The Sankora Desert stretches as far as the eye can see in every direction.  They say a man could start out crawling through the sands towards the setting sun at birth and die of old age long before he made it out of the sandy wastes.   If it weren’t for the aquoracles and sandshapers that keep humanity hydrated and sheltered, civilization would have succumbed to the harsh environs generations ago.  Yet, something strange has begun to happen in Sankora.  Longstanding oases have begun to run dry, the underground rivers are sinking deeper into the sand, and merchant travelers are spreading tales of strange alien greenery (in case it wasn’t clear earlier, Sankora is a world normally devoid of plants).

The Factions:

The Creep – Green is actually the villain of this set.  Apparently a wandering ‘Walker forgot to declare his/her invasive species of plant spore at the multiverse customs depot and has accidently introduced a very invasive species of sentient plant life to the extremely fertile silt-sands of Sankora.  Having taken root, this gregarious greenery has spread like wildfire, consuming minerals and water in epic proportions and spreading its spores across the desert winds to find hosts among the animal inhabitants of this world.  Will this once harsh land and its people be converted by the alien weed? 

Oasin Alliance – The seat of power for blue and white in the set, the Oasin Alliance has built a civilization out of practically nothing around the few major oases that dot the vast expanse of silt-sands.  The crown jewel of this consortium is Oasite.  Here gather the most powerful of Aquoracles; water wizards and wise seers which direct the flow of the subterranean seas to keep fresh water flowing to the surface.

The Horaat – A nomadic red and black faction of tribal raiders, warriors, barbarians, and slavers, the Horaat have managed to master the arts of sandshaping to a degree unparalleled by any of the other desert peoples.  They have begun to prey upon the cities and merchant-posts of the Oasin Alliance as the water has begun to dry up. 

New abilities:

White and Blue will share the new keyword ability Prophesy .

Prophecy X - (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a non-land card with CMC greater than X face up.)

As discussed, creatures with Prophecy will have triggered situations for playing a prophesied spell for free.  As it stands the plan is to have the number associated with Prophecy no higher than seven at common and no lower than one or two at rare.

Black and Red will share the new keyword ability Purge.

Purge - (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then remove a counter from each of them.)

Green will get some form of parasite mechanic that revolves around giving creatures fungus counters.  There will also be cards that do bonus good or bad things to creatures with fungus counters.  Also some terraforming cards.  (Think Spreading Seas in green to make forests.)  Also, Saprolings.

Seed  – (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of fungus counters.)

I like this version because it should allow me to use some design space to do things to creatures with fungus counters on them.  A creature with Seed may have the ability to do things to creature with fungus counters on them in uncommon and rare.

This may be a color matters set as far as “things that are green” and “things that are not green” are concerned.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Current cards:

Show

Deepwater Dowser  
Creature - Human Shaman
Prophecy 7 - (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a non-land card with CMC greater than 7 face up.)
During your first main phase, if you control five or more islands, you may play prophesied card without paying its mana cost.
1/1

Creep Crawler 
Creature - Fungus
Seed (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of fungus counters.)
2/1

Sporaform 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant land.
Enchanted land is a forest.  Put a fungus counter on it.

Fibrasight 
Sorcery
Draw a card for each fungus counter on target permanent.

Sear 
Instant 
Sear deals 2 damage to target creature or player. Purge. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then remove a counter from each of them.)

Blight Bandit 
Creature - Goblin Rogue
Sacrifice Blight Bandit: Purge. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then remove a counter from each of them.)
1/1

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Yep, changed Prophesy to random in order to make it less crazy.  Here's an example:

Deepwater Dowser    
Creature - Human Shaman
Prophesy (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a card at random from your hand face down under this creature.)
During your first main phase, if you control four or more islands, you may reveal the prophesized card and play it without paying its mana cost.
1/1

Maybe change it to:
Deepwater Dowser
Creature - Human Shaman
(When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a card at random from your hand face down under this creature.)
During your upkeep, if you control four or more islands, you may reveal the prophesized card. If it's a permanent you may put it onto the battlefield. If not, you may copy that spell without paying it's mana cost and the card is placed into your graveyard.
1/1

This gets around issues like getting to "cast Emrakul" instead of put him into play. It also gets around free storm counts and things. Also, upkeep makes more sense to check against. If you're worried about which turn that puts this under, change it to 3 islands.

Prophecy X - (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a non-land card with CMC less than X face up)

Two important changes: X allowing us to keep power levels in check, and face-up because of both flavor AND balance. Flavor is that people would know the prophecy. Balance is that the opponent should be able to understand how important it is he kill this creature before it "fulfills" it's prophecy.  I'd consider keywording "Fulfill" in the sense that it would be used on all prophecy cards. Not a real keyword, but you know what I mean.

Then; I'd make it even MORE flavorful by changing it to: 
Prophecy X - (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a non-land card with CMC greater than X face up)

As this makes it worth having a prophecy over; one would not prophecy about a Storm Crow (probably..) and one would not prophecy about baubles. However they might tell prophecies about Demons, Leviathans, Planar Portals, and that sort of this.

Also, this forces players to think hard about deckbuilding and put in big creatures/spells/artifacts/what have you that they might not normally put in. 

So in the end we:
-Prophecy giant things
-Get cool stuff for "free" but they're less effective than if they were casted (and maybe this is worth reverting back to your wording with all of my additional restrictions)
-Encourage unnatural competitive builds, etc.. 
Show
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
I like that last one, though, it might be hard to sort out what degrees of Prophecy go in what rarity.  Off the top of my head I'd distribute it something like Common (Prophecy for 6 and 7), Uncommon (Prophecy for 5 and 4), Rare (Prophesy for 3 or 2), Mythic (Prophesy for 2 or 1).  That would net me six cards with the keyword to distribute between blue and white with the Mythic being gold.

Completely inventing names and everything

Deepwater Aruspex
Creature - Bird Cleric
Prophesize a creature with flying (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a creature card with flying from your hand face down under this creature.)
As long as you control four or more islands, you may cast the prophesized card without paying its mana cost.
2/2

Wasteroot Seeder
Creature - Human Druid
Prophesize a Forest (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a Forest card from your hand face down under this creature.)
As long as you have searched your library this turn, you may cast the prophesized card without paying its mana cost.
1/1

Tournament of the Sands
Enchantment
Prophesize up to three Warrior (When this enchantment enters the battlefield, you may exile up to three Warrior cards from your hand face down under this enchantment.)
As long as three or more creatures died this turn, you may cast the prophesized cards without paying their mana cost.

Please... stop... saying... "prophesize".  

The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I prophesise he's gonna bust a vein.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Better than busting something else.
I like green as a villain. I also like how expansionist plants are the cause of all the trouble. I guess a few plant overlords are required to personalize the villains.

Just to be clear where there previously no plants on Sankora or just nothing like these or in this amount. 
Having literally no plants would make most animal life impossible, so...
The ability you're talking about for green sounds like graft.

Also, I suggest a different word than "aquoracle" because it sounds like a bad fantasy word. If their magic is divining where water is, I suggest "dowser".

Just to be clear where there previously no plants on Sankora or just nothing like these or in this amount. 

I'm shooting for no living plants in historical memory.  The silt-sands of Sankora are extremely nutrient rich and can support some animal life that has evolved to absorb minerals from the ground.  Sentient races then raise and prey off of these creatures as well as use certain nutrient deposits for food.  I picture the world similar to that plane at the edge of the multiverse that Urza went to that was basically a land of dust as far as the eye could see in all directions with wise ancient people counting the days to the end of the multiverse.  Cut out the wise ancient people and replace them with a society that is fighting for survival and you're closer to what I'm shooting for. 

Also, I suggest a different word than "aquoracle" because it sounds like a bad fantasy word. If their magic is divining where water is, I suggest "dowser".

I know, but every time I say "aquoracle" out loud, it has this weird ring to it that keeps drawing me back.  Dowser seems to mundane as just about anyone with a forked stick can dowse.  I'll work on that, but I'm most certainly open to better suggestions as well.

Also, the name for the power attributed to The Creep shall be "Seed" as in "to seed something."  I want to see about making it some form of contact mechanic that functions on damage.  So something like:

Seed (When this creature deals combat damage to another creature, put a spore/fungus [Haven't decided] counter on that creature.  That creature is green instead of its other colors for the rest of the game.)

I know, but every time I say "aquoracle" out loud, it has this weird ring to it that keeps drawing me back.  Dowser seems to mundane as just about anyone with a forked stick can dowse.  I'll work on that, but I'm most certainly open to better suggestions as well.

Um, no, they can't. Dowsing is a mystical technique and people would hire professional water witches. People didn't think that anyone could pick up a dowsing rod and find water.
Deepwater Dowser is an amazing name. Please keep it in the set.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Deepwater Dowser is an amazing name. Please keep it in the set.

It seemed like a good name at the time so, yeah, its staying.

Anyway, to help explain what I want to do with Seed, see Mindbender Spores.  I've decided to go with fungus counters over spore counters.  This does mean that we'll be cutting Thallids from the menu in favor of other fungus creatures that use Fungus counters to do effects.  Sporogenesis will be making a return as a re-print.  Now I just have to work out how to make this work.  I may have to drop the "color matters: green or not-green" theme because I can't really figure out how to make cards that make things green that aren't too wordy.

A creature and two spells:

Creep Crawler 
Creature - Fungus
Seed (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of fungus counters.)
2/1

Sporaform 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant land.
Enchanted land is a forest.  Put a fungus counter on it.

Fibrasight 
Sorcery
Draw a card for each fungus counter on target permanent.

I think Creep Crawler should be a 2/3. As worded, it doesn't deal regular damage.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

That makes sense.  I wasn't sure yet how I wanted the creatures of The Creep to work.  I think I want them to be fragile but load creatures down with fungus counters and then have things like enchantments and spells that influence those creautres that have counters on them.

Anyway, to help explain what I want to do with Seed, see Mindbender Spores.  I've decided to go with fungus counters over spore counters.  This does mean that we'll be cutting Thallids from the menu in favor of other fungus creatures that use Fungus counters to do effects.  Sporogenesis will be making a return as a re-print.  Now I just have to work out how to make this work.  I may have to drop the "color matters: green or not-green" theme because I can't really figure out how to make cards that make things green that aren't too wordy.

I think the idea of dropping the greening effect of fungus counters is a good idea but you can still have a green/nongreen subtheme. How about a black removal spell that works on nongreen creatures? Or maybe green's allied colors and enemy colors have a different approach to dealing with green. Maybe green's enemy colors can't handle it at all.

I'm shooting for no living plants in historical memory.  The silt-sands of Sankora are extremely nutrient rich and can support some animal life that has evolved to absorb minerals from the ground.  Sentient races then raise and prey off of these creatures as well as use certain nutrient deposits for food.  I picture the world similar to that plane at the edge of the multiverse that Urza went to that was basically a land of dust as far as the eye could see in all directions with wise ancient people counting the days to the end of the multiverse.  Cut out the wise ancient people and replace them with a society that is fighting for survival and you're closer to what I'm shooting for. 

Yeah I wondered how that would work. The no plants idea seemed cool but it needed that justification to work.
Hey guys, awhile ago, I made a sand creature. Seeing this thread, I'd like to show you guys. It's actually based off of a story I'm writing/drawing, so just change it's name.

I assume it costs 6, right? "Dies to doomblade" but still kind of strong, probably Titan-level strong. If this thing sees an attack step and the opponent doesn't have a wrath next turn, it's basically game.

Most importantly though, this card feels waaaaaaaaay more red than white, even more green than white.

Also I know it's a drawing and I shouldn't be harsh about it, but I literally have no idea what's going on in that art. I can only see a face and... things.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Was using construct-a-card, so the mana symbols are a bit hard to see. And feel free to adjust it. And sorry about the quality of the art. Heres what it is.

What do you suppose the guys thinking?
He's prolly thinking
a. Why did you post your own card in somebody else's thread?
b. Why the hell did you put the white mana symbols before the colourless mana symbol?????? 
Heres a cool idea for a green overlord kind of character.

Erzuval, the Evercreep 
Legendary Creature-Fungus Lord (Change if you need)

Seed, Trample, Pay , all creatures target player controls must block this creature if able this turn.
Pay gain control of target permanent with a fungus counter on it.
5/9
Just remember to explain the basics of Sankora's traditional biology on your cards/ Flav text obviously plays a big part. Some ideas might be traditional rock-eating creatures trolls, ogres, large "grazing" animals with funky looing mouth parts, oozes?, wurms and termitey things. I actually like the ooze type idea, maybe the bottom of the food chain is composed of slow moving sluglike things that dissolve rocks and maybe the large ones are armour-plated.
What should Erzuval's be?

"Soon, all shall become one!" But that kinda sounds Phyrexian.

"Blaugh!" He's not human, so maybe he doesn't have to make sense?

"Feel the warmth of life as you assimilate unto us"

Speaking of which, how about, on top of taking control of stuff, they become fungi creatures on top of their other types?

As for the Sand Wyrm, they eat whatever they find. And they "swim" through the sand, so they're fast. Their multiplying ability is supposed to represent the fact that as soon as one finds prey, the whole pack is on that. They're pack creatures, and quite effective at that too. I also came up with the pack leaders, but for this, they may be a tad bit too overpowered. 
The most obvious ways I see the plant "faction" being portrayed is either as beleiving that they are justified bringing life to a barren world or just not really having much of a moral stance on the issue and growing because that's what they evolved to do. Personally I would like to see both stances explored by different levels of the plant hierarchy or as the block progresses.
So maybe Erzuval's flavor text should be:

"Allow yourself to join the tide of life!" 
Heres another Green Hero! This ones a healer type, maybe a Goddess or something.

Yavailana, Forerunner of Forest's Dawn :3:
Legendary Creature-Treefolk Avatar 
Seed
Yavailana's Toughness is equal to the number of permanents on the battlefield with fungus counters on them. 
regenerate target creature with a fungus counter on it. 
4/X
"We come to allow life to flourish, not wither away." 
b. Why the hell did you put the white mana symbols before the colourless mana symbol?????? 

the reason why people do this is one of the great mysteries of our age
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Wow, I look away for a few days an all kinds of stuff shows up.

Anyway, things:

At the moment I'm planning on twelve mythics for the set.  There will be two mythics for each color.  I've chosen green's mythics to be the planeswalker that accidently brought The Creep to Sankora, and a fungus elemental overmind that rules over the invading plants.  White and blue will get a gold mythic as will red and black.

I'm trying not to fill this set up with too many legendaries.  This isn't Kamigawa.

You are right, flavor text will be an important factor in explaining the ecology.  Unfortunately, flavor text doesn't come very easy to me, so that is something I plan on working through last. 

At the moment I'm still trying to figure out a mechanic for the red and black faction.  I kind of want a burn/despoil mechanic that hurts things and removes counters.

Who was the planeswalker who brought the Creep? Thanks for telling us, for I kinda get carried away with characters. I just love making key generals and stuff.
Maybe for that red/black, they seem to be evil, so maybe something necromantic-like? Maybe it could be something like:

Dehydration (If a creature dealt damage by this creature has counters on it, instead remove that many counters until there is no more damage, or no more counters)

If this doesn't make sense, which I don't think it does, example:

Something, maybe called a Horaat Dunemage, deals 5 damage to a creep crawler with 8 +1/+1 counters on it. The Dunemage would remove 5 of those counters instead. If the same crawler had 4 counters on it, the Dunemage would remove 4 counters, and deal 1 regular damage.

How's that? 

I haven't designed the 'Walker yet.  I've just decided that it will be green.  As for the Horaat, I don't see them as particularly evil or necromantic.  I see them more as opportunistic thugs and raiders that follow a more "kill it with fire and despoil the ashes" sort of philosophy when it comes to their encounters with The Creep.  Greenery and plant life is a "new" thing on Sankora.  The Horaat fear it because they do not understand it.

As for their ability, I'm thinking of something similar to a reverse Proliferate mechanic that removes counters as a rider on a spell or ability rather than adds them.  Something like:

Purge - (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then remove a counter from each of them.)

Sear 
Instant 
Sear deals 2 damage to target creature or player. Purge. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then remove a counter from each of them.)

Blight Bandit 
Creature - Goblin Rogue
Sacrifice Blight Bandit: Purge. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then remove a counter from each of them.)
1/1

@Azure
I can almost guarantee that Purge will eventually exist. WotC have a history of reversing mechanics to get cool interactions and that sounds like one they'd do. Mad Props etc.. lol

Show
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Purge, that's actually pretty cool! Would this work? I'll recycle the name:

Horaat Dunemage
Creature-Human Bandit Wizard
Purge (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then remove a counter from each of them.)
2/1
When the Horaat conduct a raid, they send in dunemages first to immobilize the guards, so then the raiders can pillage without any rude interruptions. 

I don't know if Purge will ever get to be an actual thing.  While Wizards loves to reverse mechanics from time to time, this one breaks one of MaRo's cardinal rules, in that it can remove poison counters from players.

Anyway, now that I have some mechanics skeletons to work with, squaring them has been a tough process.  Prophecy seems fine so far as is, and I really like Purge.  The problem is that I can't decide if I need to work over Seed some more. 

The existence of Purge makes this something of a "counters matter" set, which is what I wanted when I devised Seed's use of fungus counters with the idea that spells in green might do extra things to cards based on the amount of counters, or have a reduced cost depending on the number of fungus counters on the board.  However, I'm not sure where to strike the balance between Seed and Purge.

I'm more than willing to accept suggestions on the matter.

Anyway, now that I have some mechanics skeletons to work with, squaring them has been a tough process.  Prophecy seems fine so far as is, and I really like Purge.  The problem is that I can't decide if I need to work over Seed some more. 

The existence of Purge makes this something of a "counters matter" set, which is what I wanted when I devised Seed's use of fungus counters with the idea that spells in green might do extra things to cards based on the amount of counters, or have a reduced cost depending on the number of fungus counters on the board.  However, I'm not sure where to strike the balance between Seed and Purge.

I'm more than willing to accept suggestions on the matter.

Fixing Purge:
To start off, then remove the extra clause from purge that allows you to target players. Say "Permanents", and if your classy, consider adding "exiled cards" :p.

Making Counters Matter:
On top of your stuff, reprinting black/red from Shadowmoor probably wouldn't break flavor (since most of their names are like "Stuff Elemental" and you would only use the ones that work anyway.) 

So creatures with Wither, Persist, Undying, Graft, etc... are all good places to look for reprints or mechanics; same with the bagillion artifacts that rely on charge counters and such. The best of these however is probably Wither; as purge then feels like a *good* effect instead of a "son of a bitch" effect. What I mean is that one promotes it's use as a counter, and the other makes it just slow down decks. When it comes to using it in the block it should feel like a "good" thing.

Carnifex demon is a good reprint too. (Rather than killing everything, you get to help yourself by making his damage to your side of the board less substancial.)

Also, you can build creatures like Starving Bear from another YmtC thread; it was a "4/4" bear that came in with -1/-1 counters IIRC. The idea being you can make balanced/mediocre creatures that Purge makes awesome. Make the mechanic feel rewarding.

On balance:
IMO, do this backwards. Balance Purge cards directly off of Proliferate cards. (Hint, it costs roughly 3 colorless depending on speed, repeatablility etc..) Since purge counters it, I figure you should limit access to each color a bit with Blue and Black getting priority (as they both hate green and both use weird mechanics that purge may help with.)

That said, I'd say use the fungus counters for a direct effect. Have cards that just reference how many are on the board. Affinity style cards are parasitic and should be avoided unless they're good even without affinity. Fungus counters should probably do basically nothing directly because of old cards that use them. Instead put build-around-me cards that allow you to use cards old and new without making the majority of the set parasitic. 
Show
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Sign In to post comments