Bard decisions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all. I'm rolling up my first Bard, and could use some help.

A little backstory. I'm playing with a new group, and they're really casual players. In our first game, I rolled up a very unoptimized Desert Wind TWF Swordsage with a double-scimitar, and more or less showed up everyone. The second game, I tried for something less showey, and went with a standard Dragonfire Adept with Entangling Breath and was easily doubling the damage of everyone else in the party. This will be the third character I've made, and I'm determined to make sure the same problem doesn't occur. At the moment, we have the following:

Barbarian that died, so he's rolling another barbarian. Doesn't know how power attack works, likes rage.
Rogue who missed every attack roll last session (wasn't in the first one)
Scout who kept up fairly well last time. Was a rogue in the first one, hated it.
Warblade who rerolled Duskblade. Wasn't in the second game, I assume he'll do well.
Cleric who has never Cleric'd before. Had a laughable bad Dragon Shaman in the first game.

I've been spending a lot of time with the Duskblade and the Cleric teaching them little ins and outs about the game. They've both played before and they're both close friends of mine. The problem is the other players don't entirely know what they're doing at all, and I don't have their contact information to help teach them. They didn't even know they could buy magic equipment, and went into a level 4 game with mundane equipment.

Anyway, enough of that. So this Bard. I was thinking of a pretty standard Dragonfire Inspiration build, to play more of a support role and help everyone else have a good time by making them shine. I'll be playing a Silverbrow Human

41 HP

(The stats are ridiculous because the DM has us reroll 1's and 2's for some ungodly reason)

Str. 16
Dex. 16
Con. 16
Int. 15
Wis. 13
Cha. 16

AC: 19
Fort: 4
Ref: 7
Will: 5

Silverbrow Human
Feats:
1. Dragonfire Inspiration
1 [H]. Martial study (Crusader Strike)
1 [F]. Melodic Casting
3. ????? (Possibly Snowflake Wardance)
Flaw: Fussy (Sickened after consuming a potion)

Alternate Class Features:
Hymn of Healing
Bardic Knack

Spells known:
0. (3)
Dancing Lights
Ghost Sound
Mage Hand
Light

1. (4)
Cure Light Wounds
Grease
Inspirational Boost
Silent Image

2. (2)
Cure Moderate Wounds
Glitterdust
Invisibility

575gp
+1 Crystal Echoblade (4310)
+1 Chain mail (1100)
Mithril Buckler (1015)
Phoenix Ash Threat (lesser) (2000)

As you can see, this isn't *entirely* optimized. I very easily could have squeezed in a couple more bonuses for Inspire Courage, and I was pretty lazy with my spell selection. But considering how...inexperienced this group is, I fear it may still be too much. What tweaks would you all make, if any? How many notches should I take it down? Do you think it will still be a fairly support oriented character, or do you think I'll be stealing the spotlight yet again? Help and advice will be appreciated. =)

I had a DM who made up an NPC Bard with Vow of Peace, a whip, and Improved Disarm.  That was seriously the character we, as a party, hated the most.  It would make for great support, and not kill anyone.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I had a DM who made up an NPC Bard with Vow of Peace, a whip, and Improved Disarm.  That was seriously the character we, as a party, hated the most.  It would make for great support, and not kill anyone.

Just bear in mind that tripping characters so that your allies can stab them is probably against the spirit of the vow.

Just bear in mind that tripping characters so that your allies can stab them is probably against the spirit of the vow.

Disarm, not trip.  And he only did so once we attacked him.  He was a real pain.  Oh, and he left if none of us were wielding weapons.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Fair enough!
Sign In to post comments