Vexing Devil + Undying Evil

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, as I understand Vexing Devil from reading the card, the creature spell resolves and the Dvil hits the battlefield, the opponent may then choose to take damage and force you to sac it. Could I then, in response to their decision to take the damage, play Undying Evil on the devil, bringing him back onto the battle field and forcing them to take more damage or let a 2 mana 5/4 hit the table?
No you cannot. You do not get priority while the ability is resolving to cast the Evil. You could respond to the trigger by casting the Evil on it, but then your opponent will more than likely choose not to take the 4 damage.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

No you cannot. You do not get priority while the ability is resolving to cast the Evil. You could respond to the trigger by casting the Evil on it, but then your opponent will more than likely choose not to take the 4 damage.

Ah, I see. A little less effective than I was hoping but it could still be used as a way to try and force the Devil to stay.

Thanks 
So that's a nice clean answer if vexing devil said "destroy vexing devil it cannot be regenerated" but it doesn't, it says "sacrifice it." And unless you've changed the rule on sacing permanents don't I need to have priority in order to do that?
even if it said "destroy" it would still not be possible.

it's not about sacrificing, it's about no player getting priority during the resolution of a spell or ability (triggered ability in this case)
proud member of the 2011 community team
And unless you've changed the rule on sacing permanents don't I need to have priority in order to do that?

You have never needed priority in order to sacrifice something. What you need is a cost or an effect which instructs you to do so.

So could you give me some comp rules to look at that explains it. Because that doesn't help.
how does it not help?
I mean what is unclear about "no player gets priority during the resolution of a spell or ability"

116.2e Resolving spells and abilities may instruct players to make choices or take actions, or may allow players to activate mana abilities. Even if a player is doing so, no player has priority while a spell or ability is resolving. See rule 608, “Resolving Spells and Abilities.”

608.2f If an effect gives a player the option to pay mana, he or she may activate mana abilities before taking that action. If an effect specifically instructs or allows a player to cast a spell during resolution, he or she does so by putting that spell on top of the stack, then continuing to cast it by following the steps in rules 601.2a–h, except no player receives priority after it’s cast. The currently resolving spell or ability then continues to resolve, which may include casting other spells this way. No other spells can normally be cast and no other abilities can normally be activated during resolution.

The triggered ability starts to resolve.

Each opponent in turn order chooses: Take 4 damage or not take 4 damage.
If no player takes 4 damage, nothing happens and the trigger finishes resolving.
If 1+ players take 4 damage, the effect of the trigger causes the devil to be sacced and those players to take 4 damage and the trigger finishes resolving.

You can not do anything except concede or take actions as allowed for in the trigger (like choosing to take 4 damage or not) while the trigger is resolving.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

So could you give me some comp rules to look at that explains it. Because that doesn't help.

Do you mean these rules?
608. Resolving Spells and Abilities

608.1. Each time all players pass in succession, the spell or ability on top of the stack resolves. (See rule 609, "Effects.")

608.2. If the object that's resolving is an instant spell, a sorcery spell, or an ability, its resolution may involve several steps. The steps described in rules 608.2a and  608.2b are followed first. The steps described in rules 608.2c - j are then followed as appropriate, in no specific order. The step described in rule 608.2k is followed last.

608.2c The controller of the spell or ability follows its instructions in the order written. However, replacement effects may modify these actions. In some cases, later text on the card may modify the meaning of earlier text (for example, "Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated" or "Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner's library instead of into its owner's graveyard.") Don't just apply effects step by step without thinking in these cases -- read the whole text and apply the rules of English to the text.

Ever since the stack and priority were added in 1999, casting a spell or activating an ability has required priority (outside certain special cases).  Resolving a spell or ability has not.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
You're misunderstanding my initial point. When you read vexing devil it looks like two triggered abilities. The "enters the battlefield" and "if they do sacrifice it" because I always thought priority was passed when you sacrifice something. Because your opponent can't sac your permanents you have to. That's why I said it would have been better if card read "destroy vexing devil it can't be regenerated." So I wanr to know where in the rules it says you don't get priority when one of your permanents gets sac'ed
The absence of such a rule is all that is needed. The rules don't tell you what you can't do for the most part*, they tell you what you can do. There's no rule that says you get priority after saccing something.

You can't do anything without a rule or effect allowing it.

* they do prohibit you from playing a land on another player's turn

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

there is a rule saying you don't get priority during the resolution of a spell or ability, even if you are instructed to do something (like sacrificing in this case)

there is no rule that says you get priority after sacrificing something, so you don't
You're misunderstanding my initial point. When you read vexing devil it looks like two [sic] triggered abilities.

It looks like one ability.
112.2c An object may have multiple abilities. If the object is represented by a card, then aside from certain defined abilities that may be strung together on a single line (see rule 702, "Keyword Abilities"), each paragraph break in a card's text marks a separate ability. If the object is not represented by a card, the effect that created it may have given it multiple abilities. An object may also be granted additional abilities by a spell or ability. If an object has multiple instances of the same ability, each instance functions independently. This may or may not produce more effects than a single instance; refer to the specific ability for more information.

So I wanr to know where in the rules it says you don't get priority when one of your permanents gets sac'ed

Right after it says that you don't get priority when your opponent blinks.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
You're misunderstanding my initial point. When you read vexing devil it looks like two triggered abilities. The "enters the battlefield" and "if they do sacrifice it" because I always thought priority was passed when you sacrifice something. Because your opponent can't sac your permanents you have to. That's why I said it would have been better if card read "destroy vexing devil it can't be regenerated." So I wanr to know where in the rules it says you don't get priority when one of your permanents gets sac'ed

There is only one ability there. In particular, the second sentence does not look at all like a triggered ability (no "at", "when" or "whenever").

Even if there was a separate triggered ability, that is what would matter here; it would still make no difference at all whether it said "sacrifice" or "destroy". There are no, count 'em, zero special timing rules about sacrificing things, only a common misconception that there are (which you appear to be suffering from a particularly stubborn case of). When sacrificing is a cost, it works like any other cost. When it's an effect, it works like any other effect. In no case are there any unusual priority passes involved.

As for where it says that, the rules say what happens, they don't usually go out of their way to point out what doesn't happen. You are the one that needs to find a passage saying there is some sort of extra priority pass here. If there was, the rules would specifically say so somewhere. "It doesn't say there isn't" is not a valid argument in the absence of a reason for believing there is.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Thank you Argus_panoptes and Jeff Heikkinen. Sorry if I was sounding stubborn but when someone says you're wrong and doesn't give me a reason why I'm not gonna let them off the hook. You two actually helped me, thanks again!
Sorry in turn if I erred on the harsh side (the "particularly stubborn case" bit was meant kind of tongue in cheek, but I don't know if it came across that way). Glad this got cleared up.

Sacrificing is one of those areas (counters are another) where people get confused, not because something is complicated, but because it's simple and there's a tendency to assume it must be more complicated than it is. I imagine groking that comes as something of a relief, typically.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
The triggered ability starts to resolve.

Each opponent in turn order chooses: Take 4 damage or not take 4 damage.
If no player takes 4 damage, nothing happens and the trigger finishes resolving.
If 1+ players take 4 damage, the effect of the trigger causes the devil to be sacced and those players to take 4 damage and the trigger finishes resolving.

You can not do anything except concede or take actions as allowed for in the trigger (like choosing to take 4 damage or not) while the trigger is resolving.

is sac'ing 4 life "paying a cost" in the case of devil? because if it's not I am very confused. I asked earlier today about using ratchet bomb to stop another ratchet bomb. The answer was that I can't stop their paying the cost, so the trigger goes on the stack.

what if they pay the 4 life, then I respond with vapor snag?

Would the snag not have any effect because they paid for the sac of devil with 4 life, and that resolves, putting my snag on a new stack?
by the time you can respond the devil is already gone
you can't even cast Vapor Snag (at least not targetting the devil)
First off, it's not a payment of life; the Devil would be dealing 4 damage. The only choice each opponent makes is whether or not he/she wants the Devil to deal that 4 damage, and if anybody does make the choice to take 4 damage, the Devil is sacrificed by the controller of the triggered ability, if able. Once the ability starts resolving, nobody can cast or activate anything. Now, you can Vapor Snag in response to the trigger going on the stack, but you can't wait to see what your opponents choose to do.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

is sac'ing 4 life  taking 4 damage "paying a cost" in the case of devil?

yes, it is
117.1. A cost is an action or payment necessary to take another action or to stop another action from taking place. To pay a cost, a player carries out the instructions specified by the spell, ability, or effect that contains that cost.

because if it's not I am very confused. I asked earlier today about using ratchet bomb to stop another ratchet bomb. The answer was that I can't stop their paying the cost, so the trigger goes on the stack.

The cost of an ability activation is paid during the activation of that ability. So by the time you wish to respond, their Ratchet Bomb is already in the yard.

Vexing Devil's trigger has a cost that one (or more) opponents may pay to cause it to be sacced, however, that cost is paid during the resolution of the trigger.
what if they pay the 4 life cost, then I respond with vapor snag?

that can't happen because the effect of the cost being paid or not also happens during the resolution of the trigger.
However, you could Snag it before the trigger resolved, but then there'd likely be no reason for anyone to pay the cost because it couldn't be sacced.

Would the snag not have any effect because they paid for the sac of devil with 4 life, and that resolves, putting my snag on a new stack?

You couldn't cast it at all targeting the Devil if an opponent paid the cost.
There is ever only one stack. The stack is a zone like the battlefield, hand, library or graveyard.
Most times it is empty, but when there are spells or abilities waiting to resolve, it is not.

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320