Only two players

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm planning on running a game of D&D, but it looks like I'll only have two players. I'm thinking about running the game anyway, what would be a good monster for two level one characters? 
If you only have 2 players you might want to consider making it more about a specific story theme than a normal game.  IE making them both assassins who work together in a big city.  That way most of the things they are doing is avoiding combat rather than facing things and the only times they want to fight are when they can get someone alone.  As level 1 characters, maybe they are both apprentices to the same Assassin's guild that starts by making groups of 2 and giving them little missions which may involved assassinating "leader" monsters outside the city.

Another option is to have the much-loathed DM companion PC to bring the group up to 3 members.  3 PCs can do some of the things that a larger party can do if you tone the encounters down and the group has the most needed roles covered.

But to answer your direct question, I would need to know what edition you are playing to give you a full answer.  I can make the stretch that you are playing 4e since you have a tyrantclaw achievement and say that any of the level 1 monsters can work perfectly fine for just 2 PCs.  The key here is that they will have to have some way to avoid "normal" sized encounters.  Either through stealth, being part of a bigger party, intrigue, etc. 
I converted the Age of Worms adventure path from 3.5 to 4e and ran most of it with just 2 players before taking on a third. Four players or less is the best way to game anyway in my opinion with three being my preference. With 2 players, you have to just monitor the threats and try to get them to round out their roles through multiclassing or hybridization. By monitoring the threats, I mean you should stage encounters at first where enemies trickle in like a Bruce Lee movie or come in small waves. After a couple of sessions, you'll have a good idea of what they can handle. Also, be sure your combats have outs... ways to beat the encounter or achieve a goal without killing every last thing on the board.

A companion character might also be a good idea from time to time, but switch them up periodically as the story demands.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

I've ran successful 2 player D&D games. One was a rogue and the other was a fighter. Make sure to design your challenges appropriately, like isreith mentioned. If you are using 4e; don't swallow them with minions if there is no controller or force them upon brutes that require a defender when there isn't one around. In 3.5, you could gesalt to get them to cover multiple roles. A rogue-cleric and a fighter-sorcerer type combo works well.
Don't do the companion PC. It's not necessary. If neither PC is a healer, just drop more healing potions.

Encounter scaling will be different. On level (eg. 2 standards, or one elite, or standard + 4 minions) will work fine. However, when scaling up, the difficulty increases much faster. L+2 for 2 pcs is almost like L+5 for a party of 5. Also, don't use any action denial effects. Those can wreck a small party. Otherwise, just play as normal.

It will take a little trial and error to get encounter design just right. When you throw a tougher encounter at them,  be sure that there is an out if things go south. Eventually you'll have a handle on what works best. Just dive in and have fun!
Good ideas so far.  I also vote for story driven, stealth or espionage type adventure.  It is much easier for two PCs to move stealthily than a full party, especially if each has bonuses in stealth.  With a stealth or espionage type adventure, give the PCs opportunities to sneak past possible encounters, chances to catch 1 or 2 guards isolated from others, slice down minions to make it into new locations, etc.  

I ran an adventure that I made up for two friends.  One played a wizard (with stealth), the other played a Ranger/Rogue multi-class.  They had to escape from a stronghold jail cell and make it out of the stronghold alive.   When they got to parts where they could possibly face overwhelming odds (the guard barracks for example), I made sure they had other ways to avoid combat, or a way to use the terrain to their advantage.

It was interesting to see them come up with plans.  When they realized that 12 guards were sleeping in the guard house barracks, they decided to light the roof (it was wooden logs) on fire and try to collapse it onto the sleeping guards.  The ranger waited across the courtyard with bow in hand to fire arrows at any guard that survived the burning collapse.  Great plan..great fun.

A Brave Knight of WTF

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Thanks For the feed back, I'll keep it in mind.
Don't do the companion PC. It's not necessary. If neither PC is a healer, just drop more healing potions.

Encounter scaling will be different. On level (eg. 2 standards, or one elite, or standard + 4 minions) will work fine. However, when scaling up, the difficulty increases much faster. L+2 for 2 pcs is almost like L+5 for a party of 5. Also, don't use any action denial effects. Those can wreck a small party. Otherwise, just play as normal.

It will take a little trial and error to get encounter design just right. When you throw a tougher encounter at them,  be sure that there is an out if things go south. Eventually you'll have a handle on what works best. Just dive in and have fun!

Right, don't do the companion PC, but some friendly NPCs from time to time can't hurt.