05/02/2012 LI: "Reanalysis"

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I played a relatively slow U/W deck. I'm sorry that I don't know what the cards are called because I played with Japanese product, but the 2/2 soulbond mill 2 creature is just absolutely insane. If you bond it with the 2/3 soulbond hexproof creature, that's a pretty fast clock that the opponent cannot do anything about. The mill guy also bonds extremely effectively with the 1/4 2U:untap guy. When you can mill for 8, the game ends in a couple of turns.

EDIT: I went 3-1-1 at my prerelease (yeah it was small). The draw was not intentional, but I would have won with a couple of extra turns.
I don't have my decklist but I loved my deck so much I brought it up to 60 cards already. I played what I like to call blue black loner control. I pulled some nice removal and the fettergeist and lone revenant are amazing when you play mist raven, peel from reality to clear the other side of the board  without a problem. Killing wave also came in handy when i needed to sac most of my creatures anyway to get value out of my loners and my opponent had too many creatures as well, it actually won me many games. Apparently my removal was actually so scary my deck became famous throughout our 32 person pre-release :P. I finished 4-1 and only lost because in the third game i was sitting for about 7 turns on 4 mana with lone revenant, dead slaver, two maalfed twins and a vanishment in my hand. Here is my current decklist:

Creature Spells:
Lone Revenant x 2
Relentless Skaab x1
Fettergeist x3
Mist Raven x4
Snapcaster Mage x2

Non-Creature Spells:
Predator's Gambit x3
Homicdal Seclusion X1
Think Twice x4
Demonic Rising x1
Killing Wave x1
Doom Blade x3
Death Wind x1
Necrobite x2
Into the Void x2
Peel from Reality x4
Vanishment x 2
Mana Leak x4

Lands:
Drowned Catacomb x4
Island x9
Swamp x7

I'm going to test it out at fnm this week to see how it does

My sealed pool was awesome. Opened a Tamiyo and Tyrant of Discord and lots of hasty guys. Tamiyo did lots of work, as did Mist Raven and Gryff Vanguard, definitely all-stars. Borderland Ranger kept me consistently to UU or RRR when I needed it. Peel from Reality + Mist Raven or Fervent Cathar was also awesome. Went 4-0 losing only one game.

Spells:

1 Abundant Growth
2 Borderland Ranger
1 Joint Assault
1 Wolfir Avenger
1 Pathbreaker Wurm
1 Thunderous Wrath
1 Thunderbolt
1 Tyrant of Discord
1 Lightning Mauler
2 Fervent Cathar
1 Havengul Vampire
1 Gryff Vanguard
1 Mist Raven
1 Peel from Reality
1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
1 Geist Snatch
1 Alchemist's Apprentice
1 Wingcrafter
1 Elgaud Shieldmate
1 Fettergeist
1 Yew Spirit

Land:

4 Mountain
6 Island
7 Forest

I was going into it hoping to play UR, but didn't get nearly the pool I wanted and was forced to play WR Humans, which ended up getting me into the top 8 which changed my mind about Humans on Innistrad. Moonsilver Spear became my most common win condition, with them saving me from a Gisella on one occasion. Went 4-1 with Gallows at Willow Hill being a major issue. 

Creatures:
1 Thraben Valiant
2 Moorland Inquisitor
1 Kruin Striker
1 Fervent Cathar
1 Hanweir Lancer
1 Moonlight Geist
1 Riders of Gavony
1 Midvast Protector
1 Holy Justicar

Instants/Sorceries/Enchantments:
1 Guise of Fire
1 Righteous Blow
2 Banners Raised
1 Cloudshift
1 Zealous Strike
1 Dangerous Wager
1 Thatcher Revolt
1 Vigilante Justice
1 Angel's Mercy
1 Commander's Authority
1 Thunderous Wrath

Artifacts:
2 Moonsilver Spear
1 Bladed Bracers

Land: 
8 Plains
7 Mountains
2 Seraph Sanctuary

I had an amazing card pool. Almost went three colors so I could fit in Avacyn, Restoration Angel, and my 2 Archangels. Couldn't do it though, and kept it G/U:

7 Forest 
10 Islands

Creatures:
Wingcrafter
Nightshade Peddler x2
Timberland Guide
Galvanic Alchemist
Tandem Lookout
Mist Raven
Gryff Vanguard
Wildwood Geist
Geist Trappers
Soul of the Harvest
Howlgeist

Spells:
Joint Assault
Fleeting Distraction
Peel from Reality
Crippling Chill x2
Geist Snatch x2
Amass the Components

Other:
Bladed Bracers
Vessel of Endless Rest
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

There were two games that Nightshade Peddler and Tandem lookout combo just straight up won for me. In fact my first game started out T2 Peddler, T3 Tandem and soulbond, T4 replace dead Peddler with the other one. With all my cantrips and extra card drawing from Lookout and Soul of the Harvest, I usually ended games with a full mitt or pretty close. Went 2-0 my first three matches, and won the last match 2-1. Only lost the one game because I was stuck on three land until turn 7, and at that point it was too late. Both Chills, Peddlers, and Peel almost had me lasting long enough to stabilize, but not quite. It was also fun in the few long games I had to Mist Raven some soulbond guy, then geist snatch when they tried to replay it. Caught 2 Pathbreaker Wurms and a Champion of Lambholt that way
I don't have the full list, but my pool had three copies of Abundant Growth so I used them all and played four colors.  Never missed a spell due to lack of color, with 10 forests, 5 plains, 1 mountain, 1 swamp, and at least two spells in each of the off colors.  In one game I attacked with Yew Spirit for 32 (it had a +1/+1 counter and I had 12 mana).   Final record was 3-1.  The cards I'd highlight are these:

Nettle Swine (It's bigger than most other midrange creatures and really stops an early rush from an opponent)
Nightshade Peddler
Searchlight Geist
Yew Spirit
Thunderbolt
Nearheath Pilgrim
Wolfir Silverheart
Entreat the Angels
I had almost exactly the pool I wanted - a top-heavy but immensely powerful UW skies deck.  The highlight was Deadeye Navigator, who I knew was going to be solid but who turned out to be an absolute bomb; I had enough CIP effects that I was even happy running multiple Cloudshifts in my deck.  These are the 23 I played (including one mana rock that left me happy enough to play just 17 lands even with a stack of 6-drops):

Nephalia Smuggler
Angelic Wall
Moorland Inquisitor
Thraben Valiant
Haunted Guardian
Scrapskin Drake
Tandem Lookout
Emancipation Angel
Moonlight Geist
Mist Raven
Deadeye Navigator
2x Goldnight Redeemer
Voice of the Provinces

2x Cloudshift
Bladed Bracers
Peel from Reality
Defang
Vessel of Endless Rest
Vanishment
Cathar's Crusade
Divine Reflection

Relevant sideboard cards included a third(!) Cloudshift and Elgaud Shieldmate that I brought in for a mirror-ish match and Spectral Prison, which did fine work keeping a 6/5 Wandering Wolf at bay after it got in one hit on me.  Overall, the deck was a ton of fun to play (though maybe less so for opponents who had to watch me gain 8 life a turn or bounce three of their guys at EOT) and all my opponents were fine folks.
I was hoping for another great rare or two to have fun with, but my deck came out better than I was expecting, though I only won two out of four games.  I think all of the other decks I played against all included white, and when I was just about to cast Defang, I heard somebody else announcing they were casting Defang. And then the person I was playing against used two on me, so there were a lot of Defangs going around.

9x Mountain
8x Plains

Creatures:
Archangel
Moorland Inquisitor
Seraph of Dawn
Holy Justiciar
Thraben Valiant
Lightning Mauler
Riot Ringleader
Mad Prophet
Heirs of Stormkirk
Hanweir Lancer
2x Falkenrath Inquisitor
2x Fervent Cathar

Spells:
Cloudshift
Call to Serve
Defang
Burn at the Steak
Pillar of Flame
Lightning Prowess
Dangerous Wager
2x Thunderbolt

It all worked together rather well, what with the bonded humans and Riot Ringleader giving, at least most of my creatures, +1/+0. And, of course, having two of Falkenrath Inquisitor and Thunderbolt was extremely useful.  The only sad thing was not getting many uses out of Lightning Prowess, usually, before the creature it was enchanting died.  I also had a lot of good fortune drawing my burn spells early and often.  I came to love the deck quite a bit, over time.
Suggestions: Nightshade Peddler is bonkers!

I had 2 in my pool, and combined them with:

2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Lightning Prowess
1 Falkenrath Exterminator
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
1 Pathbreaker Wurm 

I felt no regret leaving Entreat the Angels and Angel of Jubilation in the board.

In my first draft I had 3 Seraph of Dawn + 2 Bladed Bracers. That's quite the nuts combo too.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I played 2-Headed Giant at the Pre-Release.  My / (soulbond + stuff) and / (human + stuff) team played a mirror match in each of our four rounds, although I felt special - I had a Swamp for a Death Wind.

Is this a consequence of 2-HG (two pairs of colors, and it just so happens that is left out) or a paucity of deck archetypes in the format?

Maybe I'm underestimating the amount of unrelated "stuff" in each opponent's deck.

Played R/W humans with a splash of angels and one 6/1 elemental (soul bond witthe he haste human meant 13 DMV that turn with the other humans).

All wins were fast wins thanks to fervent cathar making target unable to block. Won with 3 lands in play after mulliganning to 5 because kessig malcontents dealt 5 dmg coming into play.

I went 4-1-1 at my prerelease (the loss was because my first match I used U/G garbage for some reason, then switched to R/W humans and went undefeated). 
UGr with soulbond. The red was just for 2 each of Thunderbolt and Pillar of Flame. Thunderbolt was maindeck—So. Many. Angels.

I pulled 3 Mist Ravens and a Deadeye Navigator. Looking back on it, I should have played my two Lair Delves to dig for this combo faster. I built the deck with bonding the two of them in mind, but still, I had no idea how good that was until I did it.  I felt bad for my opponents, because once those two came down, there was no way they could win.
I played blue/ black as I somehow managed to pull 4 white cards.

Critters
Black
Butcher Ghoul, Soulcage Fiend, Blood Artist, Dark Imposter, Demonlord of Ashmouth.
Blue-
Mist Raven, Gryff Vanguard x2, Wingcrafter x2, Deadeye Navigator, Tandem Lookout, Nephalia Smuggler, Galvanic Alchemist. 

Spells
Black-
Ghoulflesh x2, Deathwind 2, Bonesplinters, Essance Harvest.
Blue-
Into the Void, Favorable Winds.

Artifacts
Conjurer's Closet

The upside is that I only lost to one opponent. I was very happy with how my deck played out, gave me plenty of options, and was able to handle most situations easily. Of the games I won my life wasn't below 18, and that was only in a single match.

The downside however was there were some decks that I just couldn't get at and I had two draws as a result. The lack of ability in those games to hit directly made for games that went on forever. In one game
we finished game two as the buzzer went off, so had 5 turns to complete game 2.

I was really happy over all as this was my first sealed deck tourny. I placed 16th with a record of 3 wins, 2 draws, and a loss.

The combos that really made win conditions for me were blinking and the numerous situations they created through bounce, card draw, refreshing undying, and replacing soulbonds. My honorable mentions were:

Demonlord of Ashmouth whom I had out in 11 of my 15 games on turn 4. He was a beast and really caused for a threat that really wasn't answered often. He was pretty outstanding in sealed.

Dark Imposter was another card that once out was a threat. I typically held on to him until I was within range of his exile ability, which was horrible. Once he was out a creature left game each round.

Soulcage Demon was something that I was a bit on the fence of putting in my deck originally, but he really made a differance. People typically wouldn't block him to kill him for fear of the loss of life which suprised me a little. Attacking with him to then sacrafice him for additional damage worked well, too.

Destruction spells were obviously great in sealed.

Deadeye navigator was nice with blinking others and really had a nice set up in the late game. His synergy with the raven or gryff was great.

Tandem Lookout was a killer giving card advantage and was great. There were turns where I was free drawing 3 or 4 cards which really kept my options open if I wanted to go that far.

Favorable winds. Wow. That card with so many fliers and wingcrafters was HUGE. Populating the board with nearly all fliers was huge and even more so with bigger fliers.

Over all, this deck set up nicely and really seemed to have a nice synergy. The games that ended in a draw were to a U/W deck that blinked life gain and bounce, and a G/R/W deck that had a ton of threats. The game I lost I was mana screwed ( I did play with 17) and just wasn't drawing anything against a R/G amazingly fast human aggro type.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg)

I played in two prereleases. Each time I pulled two of the same Mythic.  The first was Bruna, one of which was foil. Day two I got two Avacyn. Both of my decks didn't have enough early game support for my big creatures.  I was expecting to see a slower format as well, but it turn out it was very fast, and I didn't have to pool to draw from in order to cope with it.
I also found RG and RW soulbond were really effective in limited.
1 Angel of Jubilation
2 Moorland Inquisitor
2 Timberland Guide
1 Thraben Valiant
1 Trusted Forcemage
1 Abundant Growth
1 Moonlight Geist
1 Gloomwidow
1 Bonfire of the Damned
1 Druids' Repository
2 Nettle Swine
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
1 Wildwood Geist
1 Geist Trappers
1 Goldnight Commander
1 Emancipation Angel
1 Nightshade Peddler
2 Wolfir Avenger
8 Plains
8 Forest
1 Mountain

My hyper-aggresive GWr sealed deck. This was a pretty insane limited pool, considering I got to play 4 rares, 3 of them being in contention for best rare or mythic rare in the set. I got 3rd place out of 50-something going 5-1, losing only to the 2nd place guy. It definitely surprised me that I was able to build such a fast deck in AVR sealed. I think what made this deck awesome was that it had 7 ways to get a 3/3 on turn 3 if you count Timberland Guide + a 2/2 as a way. I really was almost always on the offence; think I blocked all of 3 times in the entire tournament.
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg)
I tore my deck up emediately after the tournament.  Probably the worst pool in a really long time.  The pool had 9 3-drops spread out among my 5 colors.  I tried making different decks, but I always seemed to be missing a curve.  Every deck I tried to make was shaped like an hourglass because of the lack of 3, 4, and 5 drops in my pool.  It made me really question this sealed format.
I had a blast at the pre-release.  I had the pleasure of opening up one of the hardest to remove creatures in the format: Sigarda, Host of Herons.  She was an absolute game winner. The only way i saw people removing her was with Terminus. (which happened a surprising amount of times)

On top of Hexproofy McFlyerpants, I had Revenge of the Hunted, fantastic way to clear up the board.
Another notable creature was Craterhoof Behemoth, a hilarious game ender. Never really had issues casting him, just muddy up the ground and let sit.

Defang was a super star against opponents few bombs, as well as natural end for the inevitable enchantments or equipment abound.
Holy Justiciar was amazing. 

I ended up 6-0 at the midnight contest.  Definitely my best showing. 
As always, it's based on cards, but my best deck was G/W, with a bunch of mid-range fat, teamed up with enchantments or equipment to fly over. I'd have a few decent early white drops that would either trade, or force the opponent to use removal. Then, as I'd graduate up to the 4/3 boar, they would have to trade and use a spell. I largely just focused on card advantage, with the last fattie standing, forcing their Boros into top deck mode.
Well, I don't have the deck together, but I think I can remember most of it, at least in it's final form. I ended up going 5-1 with my G/u/w deck, losing to an efficient Aggro W/R/u deck. A lot of my games would go to stall outs until someone pulled a few cards to turn it all around, due to my strong on field control, especially versus the angels of the format. I did realize the day after that maybe I should have went with a different build, since I could have combined my two Nightshade Peddler's with the red enchantment that allows a creature to (Tap):Deal 1 damage to target creature or player (as well as the blue Soulbond guy that untaps creatures for (2)(u)). Also, I could have combined Ghostly Flicker or Peel from Reality with my Kessig Malcontents. Man, I feel stupid now. Well, here is the cards I remember from the  main deck:

2xNightshade Peddler
1xGeist Trappers (Combined with the Peddler stopped most Angels in their tracks)
1xGloomwidow
1xAbundant Growth
1xEaten By Spiders
1xFlowering Lumberknow
2xJoint Assault
2xLair Delve
1xPathbreaker Wurm
1xTerrifying Presence (Amazing combat trick)
1xTimberland Guide
1xTrusted Forcemage
1xVorstclaw
1xDefy Death
1xDivine Deflection (This card turn a few games around, even ending one game when my          opponent swung with his Malignus)
1xNearheath Pilgrim
1xGoldnight Redeemer
1xElgaud Shieldmate
1xGalvanic Alchemist
1xInto the Void
1xSpectral Prison
1xWingcrafter (I love combining this with Flowering Lumberknot)
1xSigarda, Host of Herons
1xVessel of Endless Rest
10xForest
3xIsland
4xPlains (Due to the three double white spells)

I only had mana issues once or twice, but usually I had the lands I needed, or had the mana fixing I needed. Overall, it ran quite well, and I placed 9th out of 54 people (one short from the top 8 to play in the finals). Not sure if I would have been better off running some red instead of white, but Sigarda pushed me into white. My first game of the prerelease, I played her on turn 4, due to my Vessel. Overall, I had quite a bit of fun and enjoyed the overall slower games, due to the more tactical nature of them. I'd love to see how things would have went if I ran blue and red a bit more, but Sigarda pushed me into white quite a bit.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
My prerelease experience started off amazing when I opened Tamiyo first pack! I ended up putting together a UW deck that out-performed my expectations! Unfortunately I had to leave the event early; I dropped after round 2 going 2-0. Easily the star of my deck was the 2 Seraph of Dawn that I opened. The card was unbelievably difficult for my opponent to deal with, and easily began making up lost ground to faster decks. The other unexpected stars were Latch Seeker + Nearheath Pilgrim. I foresee those two making a long-lasting friendship for drafts-to-come.

Creatures (13)

1x Angel of Jubilation
1x Latch Seeker
1x Lunar Mystic
1x Midvast Protector
1x Mist Raven
1x Nearheath Pilgrim
1x Nephalia Smuggler
2x Seraph of Dawn
1x Spectral Gateguards
1x Thraben Valiant
1x Voice of the Provinces
1x Wingcrafter

Instants (6)

1x Banishing Stroke
1x Fleeting Distraction
1x Ghostly Flicker
1x Peel from Reality
1x Righteous Blow
1x Zealous Strike

Sorceries (1)

1x Into the Void

Planeswalkers (1)

1x Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

Enchantments (2)

2x Defang

Obviously Nephalia Smuggler was a blast to play with, having Mist Raven, Midvast Protector, Voice of the Provinces, and some soulbond. Tamiyo was a great Icy Manipulator, but did little more unfortunately. Angel of Jubilation made everything extra beefy, and her additional ability helped out against a particularly annoying undying/self-sacrifice deck. I think the Lunar Mystic could have been replaced, but I was running a good number of instants and I'm particularly fond of combat tricks. While I never got to cast Banishing Strokes for the miracle cost, I did get to use it on an Archwing Dragon!
Thatcher Revolt + Riot Ringleader. The Revolt also makes Bloodflow Connoisseur less underwhelming.

Also, I noticed that anyone who opened Cavern of Souls used it to make a 4-color Human tribal deck, and the ones I saw seemed pretty good.
I played in one pre-release and on initial inspection wasn't too impressed with the draw. Managed to get a lockdown but agressive deck from U/W. It proved reasonable successful with a 4-1 win/loss ratio.

Creatures
Angelic Wall
Emancipation Angel
Farbog Explorer
Goldnight Commander
Midnight Dualist
Moonlight Geist
Moorland Inquisitor
Restoration Angel
Elgaud Shieldmate x2
Lone Revenant
Snapskin Drake
Wingcrafter

Spells
Banishing Stroke
Call to Serve
Defang
Amass the components
Crippling Chill x2
Geist Snatch
Ghostform
Spectral Prison
Angels Tomb
Bladed Bracers

Evasion and Hexproof proved the winning combination in most games with locking down using the (impressive) crippling chill.  Struggled against direct red but I sideboarded in Outwit, which saved the day on more than one occasion. Soulbond is a powerful combination, particularly with the opportunity to move them in the later game (with flickering)

Fast Green and White was the one defeat, where I didn't draw any answers to the early invasion, which was (twice) followed up by Sigarda:-(
Black/Red deck 40 (8 S + 9 M)

Critters (14)
2x Demonic Taskmaster
2x Evernight Shade
1x Soulcage Fiend
1x Polluted Dead
1x Dark Impostor (1x Matchwinner)
1x Blood Artist
1x Demonlord of Ashmouth
1x Stonewright
1x Sombelwald Vigilante
1x Falkenrath Exterminator (1x Matchwinner)
2x Gang of Devils (1x Matchwinner)

Instants (2)
1x Necrobite
1x Death Wind

Enchantments (1)
1x Ghoulflesh

Sorcery (6)
1x Bone Splinters
1x Killing Wave
1x Essence Harvest
2x Pillar of Flame (1x Matchwinner)
1x Reforge the Soul

Made it 6th place of 32. (0-2, 2-0, 2-0, 2-0, 2-1)
angelic wall
emancipation angel
holy justiciar
midnight duelist
midvast protector
riders of gavony
thraben valiant
elgaud shieldmate
latch seeker
lone revenant
lunar mystic
myst raven
nephalia smuggler
2 spectral gateguards
wing crafter

2 peel from reality
zelous strike
geist snatch

tamiyo, the moon sage

defang
infinite reflection

8 plains
7 islands
seraph sanctuary

I realized the midvast protector nephalia smuggler combo midway through round 3, that one does work
Infinite reflection ing my latch seeker gave me 7 unblockable 3/1s
and with all these blockers Tamiyo popped at 9 a few times, but by the time she did I didn't care much
Slow but sure, this deck brought me to turns but always performed. Split the last round with a 3-0-1 record.

implejr's Avacyn Restored Pre-Release Deck

I have been anticipating Avacyn from the moment it became clear this set would have a grip of angels, which was the theme of the first deck I ever built when I got into Magic last year. I got even more excited when spoilers began to trickle out and I couldn't wait to get a hold of some wolfir. Lo and behold, at my first pre-release on 4/30, while not a stellar draft, I did get to make the WG Angel Deck I had been wanting to make.

Creature Spells:

1 Angel of Jubilation
1 Archangel
1 Borderland Ranger
1 Emancipation Angel
1 Nettle Swine
1 Seraph of Dawn
2 Spectral Gateguards
1 Timberland Guide
2 Wolfir Avenger

Non-Creature Spells:

1 Abundant Growth
2 Banishing Stroke
1 Builder's Blessing
2 Call to Serve
1 Defy Death
1 Terminus
1 Terrifying Presence

Lands:

7   Forest
13 Plains

Results: 1 Tie, 2 Losses, 2 Wins, in that order.

Analysis

• There are a lot of 3-drops in my creatures and the Wolfir Avengers were the most useful creature cards I drafted. They could regenerate and made excellent soulbond partners and targets for Call to Serve.

• The angels performed quite well, especially Emancipation Angel which combo'd with Abundant Growth, Borderland Ranger and Timberland Guide.

• The buffing provided by Angel of Jubilation (better than Honor of the Pure, in my opinion) and the combo-buff provided by Spectral Gateguard's soulbond and Builder's Blessing made it difficult for me to lose by swinging.

• The miracles surprised me by just how handy they were in this format. Half of the rounds I won ended by clearing the battlefield with a Terminus and/or Banishing Stroke and then putting a creature down. My enemies couldn't get anything on the field for a few rounds and thats all I would need to pull off the win.

• The biggest problem with this set-up is that it was slow. I needed more land-get but the only things that helped were the Abundant Growth & Borderland Ranger. I plan to build a deck similar to this over the next coming weeks and I will definitely be adding more land get and combo things like Cloudshift and Emancipation Angel to take advantage of entering effects.

• The codename for my deck will be "Avacyn: Angelic Battlecruiser Online".

I played Black/White as my other colors didn't give me much to work with. My pair of Essence Harvest kept me alive long enough to win games I otherwise would have lost, and was insane when I drew both and took my opponent down from 15 in one turn. I only drew my Entreat the Angels once, and got five angels that lost the game because they couldn't block a pumped Howlgeist. Marrow Bats and Death Wind also did very well for me.
I went 2-2 playing U/R aggro/control. The same human tribal stuff in red everyone is talking about, plus a little control like Captain of the Mists or Wingcrafter. In hindsight, maybe I should have played W/R, but I'm not sure.

The first pack I opened had Griselbrand. I was specifically looking forward to him for a certain EDH deck I have, plus, of course, it's cool to open a mythic like that right off. I was really tempted to play him, and I did have some green mana acceleration, but my black card pool wasn't all that great otherwise and my green was even worse.
I went undefeated with a mid range W/G deck. My most reliable beater was the 3 copies of Seraph of Dawn. It combined with one each of Champion of Lambholt, Moonsilver Spear, and Howlgesit. I also had a Seraph Sanctuary. That allowed me to constantly gain life, often ending above 20. The evasion on all my main creatures allowed me to get past defenses, while the spear kept giving me more beaters and defense.

I went in hoping to draw a highly aggressive R/g deck with Vexing Devil and Thunderous Wrath. But, I only had one good red card. From my view, The G/R decks will put you in a tight spot, but if you can stabalize, they don't have much that can overcome (other then the Bomb Rares).

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

My Saturday pool was my favorite of my two (the other being Sunday).  Saturday was bananas as I opened both a Temporal Mastery and an Entreat the Angels with plenty of power in both colors to supplement them.  The deck below is rebuilt from memory with help from gatherer-I already took it apart b/c I have plans for my miracle cards...=D.  The deck itself was U/W/g splashing for some green tech that changed from game to game depending on the opponent.

40 Cards
23 Spells
15 Creatures

8 Non-Creatures
[deck]
1x Spectral Prison
1x Devastation Tide
1x Temporal Mastery
1x Crippling Chill
1x Ghostly Flicker
2x Vessel of Endless Rest
1x Eaten by Spiders
[/deck]

Lands 17
[deck]
1x Seraph Sanctuary
2x Forest
6x Island
8x Plains
[/deck]

Temporal mastery was miracled twice and hard-cast once that day.
Entreat the Angels was miracled once for 6 and hard-cast twice-once for 3 and the other for 2.

Actually the Miracle of Entreat the Angels is kind of funny b/c I didn't actually get to attack with the angels.  I already had Goldnight Commander and 4 other creatures on the board at the time I cast the Angel Clusterbomb, so I was swinging for 40+ damage that turn while my (currently 10/10) angels sat back and held down the fort in case there was a disastrous combat trick (there wasn't).
Timmy was ecstatic. =D

While I definitely rode my mythics hard to victory more than once, Goldnight Redeemer was definitely my MVP.  She gained me sooooo much life.  My opponents would have me down to 5-8 life and then I'd either drop or flicker her and I'd be back up to 13-15.  Redeemer+Smuggler was particularly nasty and happened at least once:  Block, flicker, gain life.

I ended up 3-1.  It was so much fun that while I had orignally not intended to, I went back on Sunday to play again (went 2-2 that day with a R/B build).

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I went 3-1 using following 40 cards:

10 Forest
7 Island

Green Creatures
1 Champion of Lambholt
1 Timberland Ranger
1 Gloomwidow
1 Trusted Forcemage
1 Nettle Swine
1 Druid's Familiar
1 Pathbreaker Wurm

Blue Creatures
1 Captain of the Mists
1 Galvanic Alchemist
1 Latch Seeker
1 Mist Raven
1 Gryff Vanguard
1 Havengul Skaab

Green Spells:
2 Abundant Growth
1 Terrifying Presence
1 Blessings of Nature

Blue Spells:
2 Ghostform
1 Peel from Reality
1 Crippling Chill

White Spell:
1 Defang

Artifact:
1 Vessel of Endless Rest

Had a third Ghostform but decided 2 main is good enough since I paid particular attention to my creature count. There was a second Defang but my inital thoughts was to have one main only but given 2 Abundant Growth and 1 Vessel of Endless Rest, my mana would've supported the second copy and I could've blanked out more bombs than the bounce spells could.

Lost third round due to a misplay on my part. Nevertheless, the deck was incredibly aggresive to my surprise, the 3-drops were exceptionally on point and soulbond making things even more difficult for my opponents. The flyers never met much opposition at all. Most games I have one Ghostform waiting for the lethal and a tapped out opponent. Favorite moments were bouncing the Forcemage and my creatures that got Defang-ed with the Skaab and hitting a third-turn Gloomwidow or Captain followed by fourth-turn Forcemage (would've preferred the Familiar but the Forcemage was more consistently drawn). Last match of the pod was a fourth-turn Swine pumped by Blessings of Nature a turn after, knocking opponent's life from 23 (he Naturally Ended a Growth) to 0 in three consecutive turns.

In hindsight, I guess I could've made it 9 Forest and 8 Island but I never felt manascrewed given the mana fixers and cantrips of the deck.

The format was dry of hard removal but the bounce spells were a-plenty so gravitating to blue and picking a second color seemed the natural thing for me. During the next pod, I went 2-2 with a UW deck which included nearly the same blue bounce/tap spells and highlighted by 2 Emancipation Angels and 2 Call to Serve. First loss was due to an opponent playing 3-colors outdrawing and outpositioning me in the board while second loss was due to flooding and dry creature draws. The deck would've been perfectly synergistic (as noticed by another player there) given the Angels, 2 Peel into Reality, 1 Cathedral Sanctifier and 1 Angel's Tomb but I was worried about the manabase and the higher-costings spells causing me to go 18 lands. Best moments were stealing a Wolfir Avenger with Spirited Away during a standstill and an opponent's Nettle Swine (his only bomb on that game) with same enchantment.

Hopefully I can play Sealed during the release party and if I get to have 2 Abundant Growths and plenty of bounce again, I'll go UG again.
Killing Wave was interesting to play.  None of my opponents really knew how to react to it.  Most just sac'ed all their creatures even if they were up in life.
Got 3-1 with a WG Soulbond-heavy deck, and a lot of the games I won involved Seraph of Dawn paired with Wolfir Silverheart. Life gain is amazing in Limited. I quickly got the achievement of gaining 10 more than starting life. Most non-life gaining decks cannot win the race with a 6/8 attacking in the air. I would have wanted to make a UW aerial assault but my blue card pool didn't look good. The three copies of Seraph of Dawn really rocked the house. My losses was mostly due to mana screw.

Wolfir Silverheart was very nice and even Trusted Forcemage and Druid's Familiar when paired with Seraph of Dawn. Some other notable creatures I used were Nearheath Pilgrim, Pathbreaker Wurm - all enabled by the great Wolfir.

As an aside, my rares in the first 6 boosters were kind of underwhelming, but winning 3 rounds and opening a Tamiyo, the Moon Sage on one of the price packs more than made up for it. Just on my third PR, and I can say this was my greatest so far.

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.

My record was 5-1.  Here's what I ended up with.  

Land

8 Forest
10 Swamp

Creatures

Haunted Guardian
Wandering Wolf
Crypt Creeper
Dark Impostor     
Searchlight Geist
Trusted Forcemage
Borderland Ranger
Druid's Familiar
Nettle Swine
Demonlord of Ashmouth
Evernight Shade
Undead Executioner
Renegade Demon
Maalfeld Twins
Howlgeist

Spells

Joint Assault
Bone Splinters
Death Wind
Sheltering Word
Revenge of the Hunted

White was tempting with Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Archangel and Angel of Jubilation, but I didn't think I could swing those mana costs.  There were quite a few nice ways to abuse Undying, Soulbond and sacrifice effects.  I found only a single 2-drop in each color, so really had to dig for early game answers.  I struggled against red all day, but Sheltering Word won a couple tight races.  Revenge of the Hunted pretty much auto-won every time it Miracled.  Dark Impostor was the MVP tide-turning workhorse of the day.

8 Plains
8 Forest
Cavern of Souls
Scroll of Avacyn

Nearheath Pilgrim
Thraben Valiant
Devout Chaplin
Farbog Explorer
Moonlight Geist
Seraph of Dawn
Goldnight Redeemer
Righteous Blow
Banishing Stroke
2x Cloudshift
Leap of Faith

Ulvenwald Tracker
Timberland Guide
Wandering Wolf
Nightshade Peddler
Trusted Forcemage
Druid's Familiar
Nettle Swine
Wildwood Geist
VorstClaw
Terrifying Presence

I was a bit underwhelmed by the removal available in my pool, so I decided to focus on the colors that gave me the most cheap creatures, a few bigger ones, a little evasion, and as many wacky tricks as possible.  

Leap of Faith does everything - save a creature from death-by-damage, surprise block an incoming flier, or jump over a defending ground force.  I did all three at the prerelease.  Cloudshift also does a little of everything - it was very handy for dodging enemy removal, and I also got to use it to reassign pairings for Soulbond creatures, often in the middle of combat.  Heck, once I even used it to bring a creature back to the field untapped just so I could surprise block, and once to get an extra +1/+1 counter from Ulvenwald Tracker.  Terrifying Presence is the best Fog variant ever.

Ulvenwald Tracker was amazing, particularly any time I also had the biggest creature on the table.  In one game I had it teamed up with a lifelink creature that could fight and kill a possible blocker and then still attack, gaining life both times.   I won that game at 41 life. 
7-0 without losing a game:

Creatures
2 Moorland Inquisitor
1 Thraben Valiant
1 Wandering Wolf
1 Farbog Explorer
1 Emancipation Angel
1 Borderland Ranger
1 Wolfir Avenger
2 Seraph of Dawn
1 Restoration Angel
1 Druid's Familiar
1 Nettle Swine
2 Undead Executioner
1 Spectral Gateguards
1 Wolfir Silverheart

Spells
1 Human Frailty
1 Abundant Growth
1 Eaten by Spiders
1 Revenge of the Hunted

Artifacts
1 Scroll of Avacyn
1 Bladed Bracers 

Lands
8 Plains
7 Forest
2 Swamp

Revenge of the Hunted was a clear allstar.  At worst it was a 2 for 3 at best it was a 4 for 1.  It set up really nicely with the Executioners because with that guy on the field your opponent will hold back creatures, then when you attack with lure there are plenty of small creatures who have to block and die.

Undead Executioner on his own was always a 2 for 1.

Emancipation Angel and Abundant Growth is lovely synergy.

I do not need to explain hiw bonkers Wolfir Silverheart is.

In one game my opponent played Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Angel of Glory's Rise, and Goldnight Redeemer over 3 consecutive turns gaining 12 life and returning 4 humans in the process.  My opponent was at 28 life (effectively 56 with Gisela) and I killed him in 2 turns.  Ate Gisela with Spiders, paired Silverheart with a Moorland Inquisitor, and Revenge of the Hunted.

I also expected sealed to be a pretty slow format. Except when i glanced through the spoiler i noticed red is meant to be pretty quick. And when i opened my cards i knew i had to go R/W. I had one of the fastest decks you could have for a sealed pool. my best card for me was prolly Gallows at Willow Hill that helped me win a couple longer games. My deck went 4-1 with 2 of my matches lasting no more than 10 minutes and another less than 15. Anyway here is my deck and  im interested in ur thoughts. Nothing in my main deck costs more than 3.

LANDS 

8 Mountain
       7 Plains
       Cavern of Souls

CREATURES

Devout Chaplain
       Farbog Explorer
       Moonlight Geist
       Nearheath Pilgrim
       2 Thraben Valiant
       3 Fervent Cathar
       Hanweir Lancer
       2 Kruin Striker
       Scalding Devil
       Somberwald Vigilante
       Vexing Devil

ARTIFACTS

2 Bladed Bracers
       Gallows at Willow Hill

SPELLS

Defang
       Divine Reflection
       Zealous Strike
       Lightening Prowess
       Pillar of Flame
       Uncanny Speed

Gallows was definately my best card when it was in play if my opponent wasnt dead yet. Lightening Prowess and all the vigilance in the deck work very well with it. And the Scalding Devil can also help finish off a player if they can stabilize. Didint have much of a sideboard for this deck but Guise of Fire and Vigilante Justice helped me win a game against another weenie deck with a couple wingcraters and some other one toughness creatures
Built a really fun comboish B/R deck with double Thatcher Revolt, Blood Artist, Bloodflow Connoisseur, and Kruin Striker. One opponent actually compared my deck to Ravager Affinity.
Got 3-1 with a WG Soulbond-heavy deck, and a lot of the games I won involved Seraph of Dawn paired with Wolfir Silverheart. Life gain is amazing in Limited. I quickly got the achievement of gaining 10 more than starting life. Most non-life gaining decks cannot win the race with a 6/8 attacking in the air. I would have wanted to make a UW aerial assault but my blue card pool didn't look good. The three copies of Seraph of Dawn really rocked the house. My losses was mostly due to mana screw.

Wolfir Silverheart was very nice and even Trusted Forcemage and Druid's Familiar when paired with Seraph of Dawn. Some other notable creatures I used were Nearheath Pilgrim, Pathbreaker Wurm - all enabled by the great Wolfir.

As an aside, my rares in the first 6 boosters were kind of underwhelming, but winning 3 rounds and opening a Tamiyo, the Moon Sage on one of the price packs more than made up for it. Just on my third PR, and I can say this was my greatest so far.

I wish I'd have had the Wolfir Silverheart. I had Spectral Gateguards boned to my Seraph of Dawns. But having a flying lifelink vigilance creature really put a stall on my opponent. Especially when I dropped one or two Builder's Blessing. Many a game led to the opponent failing to remember that extra two toughness; or deciding not to block, thinking a tapped creature had the extra 2. G/R may be the most aggressive pairing out there, but G/W can cause be a force all its own.

I'm thinking a good green splash in any limited deck gives it an edge.

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Sign In to post comments