05/02/2012 BoaB: "Restoration Hardware Continued"

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I just don't know if I like tokens plus blink effects, or Restoration Angel's push toward multiple creatures plus Day of Judgment.  I prefer each card in the deck is more synergistic with each other.  But I also do recognize this is what's in the environment.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I'd like to have seen the numbers for the poll.  The forums said you should be canned for putting 4x vesner in a deck, but the silent readers liked 4x vesner...and got 3x vesner.
A playset of Vensers will currently set you back roughly $25 plus shipping...for the centerpiece of a deck, I think that's forgivable. 
From a reputable dealer its going to run about 105 dollars+ shipping. Somewhere like starcitygames. That isnt budget. And saying sure this 8 dollar rare isnt 15 anymore makes it budget is untrue. 6-8 dollars is still a high price on a rare. Restoration Angel is a 6 dollar rare and whos to say the release foil will be less. In a few weeks the angel will be cheaper. Even blade splicers a few bucks. It all adds up really. And saying oh you can just trade for it all misses the point JVL. Its also dismissive. For one I cant trade for them and even if I did it would be the same as purchasing since it still ties up the money I would otherwise have in the cards I am trading with. Its like saying oh its free it only took time. Its an oppertunity cost.

Try to keep the deck under 50 dollars if you would. Even if its in 50 mtgo tics. Thats still more flexible then older and better building on a budget writes gave themselves.

I mean if an 8 dollar rare is ok then why not 4 glacial fortresses. At least that card is a staple people should try to pick up anyways. And if we are playing cores and wellsprings why does this deck not have a spine of ish sah in it? The honor of the pure plan doesnt make a ton of sense but ok. Just puts another 15 bucks in the deck for a questionable sideboard plan that doesnt really shore up any matches. Is it there to protect against curse? Honor of the pure isnt strong against control otherwise. Its alot better in creature matchups.
From a reputable dealer its going to run about 105 dollars+ shipping. Somewhere like starcitygames. That isnt budget. And saying sure this 8 dollar rare isnt 15 anymore makes it budget is untrue. 6-8 dollars is still a high price on a rare. Restoration Angel is a 6 dollar rare and whos to say the release foil will be less. In a few weeks the angel will be cheaper. Even blade splicers a few bucks. It all adds up really. And saying oh you can just trade for it all misses the point JVL. Its also dismissive. For one I cant trade for them and even if I did it would be the same as purchasing since it still ties up the money I would otherwise have in the cards I am trading with. Its like saying oh its free it only took time. Its an oppertunity cost.

Try to keep the deck under 50 dollars if you would. Even if its in 50 mtgo tics. Thats still more flexible then older and better building on a budget writes gave themselves.

I mean if an 8 dollar rare is ok then why not 4 glacial fortresses. At least that card is a staple people should try to pick up anyways. And if we are playing cores and wellsprings why does this deck not have a spine of ish sah in it? The honor of the pure plan doesnt make a ton of sense but ok. Just puts another 15 bucks in the deck for a questionable sideboard plan that doesnt really shore up any matches. Is it there to protect against curse? Honor of the pure isnt strong against control otherwise. Its alot better in creature matchups.

This deck can be had for under $100 even if you have to buy every single card, which I find unlikely if you play FNM at all.  When Tier 1 decks range from $300-$400, that is definitely budget.

Setting a limit of $50 is arbitrary, ridiculous, and would cripple the competitiveness of these decks.

Just one little thing, Restoration Angel doesn't synergise with Sunblast Angel. At all. The whole "non-Angel" thing?

This deck can be had for under $100 even if you have to buy every single card, which I find unlikely if you play FNM at all.  When Tier 1 decks range from $300-$400, that is definitely budget.

Setting a limit of $50 is arbitrary, ridiculous, and would cripple the competitiveness of these decks.

I disagree. Although I do agree that picking an arbitray number like $50 would be counter intuitive (as it doesn't take into consideration fluctuating market prices) I don't think it's ridiculous to have a reasonable range. I think $100 is way too high personally. Budget players want budget decks. Just because random people can afford to spend $300 on a deck doesn't change or mean anything to a budget player's wallet. Tier 1 decks could be $4000 and it wouldn't change what I can afford. I think an acceptable range for most true budget players is the $30 - $60 mark. That's the price of an average boardgame and it probably is what most people who are watching their wallets can afford at best. If I spent over $100 every time I wanted to make a deck I would be broke to be honest. I've made plenty of fun, competitive decks that are in that range, but I come to this site to read what a quote unquote professional can provide in terms of deckbuilding expertise and insight. Most of the time I feel let down and like he falls short of the mark.

I appreciate JVL adressing some of the issues we've been talking about the last few weeks on budgets, but to be honest I expect him to do something again that is completely dismissive or insensitive to budget players in the next article or one after. That's the way it seems to go with him. One good, affordable deck that is properly playtested and written well in this column followed by 5 or more unplaytested, over budget decks with illegal cards in them or other such errors.

Anyway if you're reading this JVL or the editor, can we get an article about budget mana solutions? And not just an article with a ton of green solutions or something...to be honest that's what usually winds up killing my wallet when deckbuilding. Finding decent lands that don't slow down my tempo or whatnot is really difficult. It seems like every time a somewhat usable attempt at a dual land is made, it dominates standard and runs for 8-12 dollars and playsets just become too expensive. Would be nice to know if JVL has any ideas on that.
Just one little thing, Restoration Angel doesn't synergise with Sunblast Angel. At all. The whole "non-Angel" thing?

There's technically synergy, though it's not very relevant until 10 mana (unless you're playing against a Frost Titan). Restoration Angel does untap a creature you control so you can safely drop a Sunblast Angel. :P
Using the prices on bidwicket.com, assuming $5 shipping and that basic lands are free, the cheapest cost to buy this deck:

Estimated total cost: 91.2
4 Evolving Wilds: 4 @ 0.12; total 0.48
4 Blade Splicer: 4 @ 2.55; total 10.2
4 Stonehorn Dignitary: 4 @ 0.02; total 0.08
2 Sunblast Angel: 2 @ 0.75; total 1.5
3 Day of Judgment: 3 @ 2.35; total 7.05
1 Increasing Ambition: 1 @ 0.25; total 0.25
4 Lingering Souls: 4 @ 1.95; total 7.8
3 Oblivion Ring: 3 @ 0.84; total 2.52
2 Righteous Blow: 2 @ 0.05; total 0.1
4 Sphere of the Suns: 4 @ 0.2; total 0.8
4 Timely Reinforcements: 4 @ 1.38; total 5.52
3 Venser, the Sojourner: 3 @ 6.35; total 19.05
4 Honor of the Pure: 4 @ 2.49; total 9.96
2 Increasing Ambition: 2 @ 0.25; total 0.5
1 Negate: 1 @ 0.03; total 0.03
1 Purify the Grave: 1 @ 0.03; total 0.03
4 Shrine of Loyal Legions: 4 @ 0.42; total 1.68
3 Restoration Angel: 3 @ 4.29; total 12.87
2 Geist-Honored Monk: 2 @ 0.39; total 0.78

So, beyond the topic of budget and argueing what defines a budget deck, what are some tweaks to this deck that you'd make?
Obvious first changes in my mind are out with the Evolving Wilds and in with some dual lands, but which and how many of each to balance the mana. And once we do that, can we get rid of the Spheres again? If so, what goes into their slots? We could bring back Ichor Wellspring for card draw or put in Ponder to the same effect.

Thoughts?

Gah! Fix the gatherer search to at least standard! The search has visual spoiler of every single card with a CMC of 2! You nearly killed my computer!
I don't usually play white, but I like the blink interactions and combos.  This one looks like fun to me!
Said it before and I will say it again: the need to be competitive completely ruins the "budget" aspect of this article.  People who are attracted to a title "Building on a Budget" are not interested in paying $100 for 75 pieces of cardboard.  I have a wife and kid.  I can't afford to spend $40 on a Venser playset, as much as I would like to.  I still don't understand why someone who is competitive would be interested in a "budget" article.  

Anyways, try substituting the Venser for Ghostly Flicker and Cloudshift.  At common level both of those should be pennies at best.  Is it as good as consistently repeating effects from Venser? no.  But at least that's better for the "budget."
I'm jumping on the budget bandwagon too. When I say I'm on a budget, I mean I can drop $50-75 a month on Magic, including entry fees. Now, if this were the first article that JVL wrote that was well outside of the "budget" realm, a few people would complain and it would be over. But, although I enjoy his column, he is constantly putting $100 decks on here. In his defense, he has said on several occasions that non-basic land is simply not a place where you can get away cheaply to be competitive, and I totally agree.

I do not agree that this is a budget column, and they should have him write a different one.
I fume every time someone puts a price tag to a BoaB deck. Seriously guys trade for cards, pick up a free restoration angel promo this friday. Did no one get a free day of judgement from the old player rewards. Do people come to building on a budget put the deck into a stores deck builder and then click add to cart and then buy the deck? NO! So please stop and pull the T out of TCG and start trading instead of whining about a sub $100 deck, i'm sure there are tonnes of people out there with vensers gathering dust in folders.
I fume every time someone puts a price tag to a BoaB deck. Seriously guys trade for cards, pick up a free restoration angel promo this friday. Did no one get a free day of judgement from the old player rewards. Do people come to building on a budget put the deck into a stores deck builder and then click add to cart and then buy the deck? NO! So please stop and pull the T out of TCG and start trading instead of whining about a sub $100 deck, i'm sure there are tonnes of people out there with vensers gathering dust in folders.

When a good is freely exchanged in a market, we say that the good has the value for which it is purchased in that market. Suppose you trade for or pick up the cards that make up a deck through means other than purchase. Instead of building the deck with them, they could be sold in the market for their cost: that is money you could have, but do not, if instead you use them in the deck. So, assembling the deck with your found or traded for cards, still costs you the same amount; you could either have the deck, or you could have the money, your choice.

Personally, I think instead of this single deck I plan to buy Diablo III, two tickets to the Avengers, and play an Avacyn Restored booster draft with my friends. That sounds like a pretty good value proposition in comparison.
From a reputable dealer its going to run about 105 dollars+ shipping. Somewhere like starcitygames. That isnt budget.

I don't understand why most of us complain because according to the poll, most of us picked the deck over the $20 green deck.

When a good is freely exchanged in a market, we say that the good has the value for which it is purchased in that market. Suppose you trade for or pick up the cards that make up a deck through means other than purchase. Instead of building the deck with them, they could be sold in the market for their cost: that is money you could have, but do not, if instead you use them in the deck. So, assembling the deck with your found or traded for cards, still costs you the same amount; you could either have the deck, or you could have the money, your choice.

Personally, I think instead of this single deck I plan to buy Diablo III, two tickets to the Avengers, and play an Avacyn Restored booster draft with my friends. That sounds like a pretty good value proposition in comparison.

You are of course ignoring the fact that you have cards on hand already, so really, the net cost of building the deck by trading is only $0. You actually come out ahead if you weren't trading away cards you were going to use in other decks.

EDIT: also, sure, you can sell on cardshark, or Ebay, but you're still going to lose out on bidding there eventually. You're not going to recieve the full list price by selling the cards to a store, or even another person; don't even try to pull that crap on me. I just sold 110 junk rares that were going to rotate out w/o ever being used for anything, and got 7 packs. SEVEN. The rares were all $0.50 midrange-ish TCGplayer; that would buy 15 packs and change if you don't want to do the math going by TCGplayer prices.
...what are some tweaks to this deck that you'd make?

I'd cut blue, and replace the Venser package with Cloudshift. The Venser + Stonehorn lock is cute, but I'm not sold on it being necessary (or even good, really). It's too easy to remove the rhino in response to the Venser target, and since Venser is the most expensive ($) component to the deck, you save a bunch by cutting it. Cutting a color also makes the mana a lot more reliable.

Cloudshift does sort of the same thing as Venser, except that it's cheap and you get a nice ambush out of it. Even without the Stonehorn lock, you can potentially Cloudshift your Sunblast Angel whenever someone tries to attack you, which seems like fun to me. It also combos with Fiend Hunter and Geist-Honored Monk, both of which should go maindeck. With more on curve creatures main, I'd cut Sphere of the Suns for Intangible Virtue. Intangible's better here than Honor of the Pure; the vigilance is very relevant (and works with Sunblast Angel), and Honor is a non-bo with sideboard Shrine. Intangible Virtue's also $1 cheaper. 

Righteous Blow seems awesome against aggro, but pretty terrible against ramp or control. Move it to the side. I'd also move Increasing Ambition to the side; if you want to flashback Ambition for another Ambition, you need more than 1 in the deck, and there's isn't room for 2 or more main. Instead of the singleton Ambition, I'd rather have more Monks, and move Increasing Ambition to the side for playing against a really slow decks.

Lands (25)
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Isolated Chapel (if you have them; otherwise replace with swamps)
1-2 Vault of the Archangel (if you have them; otherwise replace with plains)
2-6 Swamp
13-15 Plains

Creatures (16)
4 Blade Splicer
3 Fiend Hunter
3 Restoration Angel
4 Geist-Honored Monk
2 Sunblast Angel

Other (19)
4 Cloudshift
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Lingering Souls
3 Timely Reinforcements
3 Day of Judgement
1 Oblivion Ring

Sideboard (15)
4 Shrine of Loyal Legions
2 Increasing Ambition
3 Celestial Purge (takes out Geralf's Messenger, Manabarbs, and Curse of Death's Hold)
2 Righteous Blow
1 Divine Offering
1 Oblivion Ring
2 Purify the Grave  
I fume every time someone puts a price tag to a BoaB deck.

In essence, you're saying you fume when people complain that they go to a sale at a department store, but nothing is actually on sale. If the column was just called "Deckbuilding with JLV," that would be fine, but it isn't. As one of the other posters put it, just because the price of having a competitive Magic deck has skyrocketed over the last few years, doesn't mean that most peoples' budgets have changed.

Yes, I have cards in my trade binders. But, I'm not going to trade off my Gravecrawlers to build a mediocre deck that is going to rotate out in 6 months. I want a budget column that relies on uncommons as the backbone, with 2 or 3 playsets of rares at the most. I don't want to trade off parts of my current deck, and I don't get to go to all the promotional events. I'm sorry if that will lose some of the competitive edge, but to call this column "budget" is a lie.

Here's where the rubber meets the road: I'm a complete amatuer, but I feel that I could earnestly do a better job. I think many people could. JLV is a (generally) excellent columnist, with great ideas and good insight into some Magic formats. He should be retained, but the current budget column has no vision.

I stopped reading this article a long time ago, but I do stop in to check the forums from time to time, especially when I see this many responses to an article.

A $100 deck is not budget, but I feel that one every so often is fine. If JVL wants to build a competitive deck for slightly more expensive every few months, that's fine, as long as he's not doing it every single week.

What I think should happen is something like this:

In a period of three months (every set release) JVL should build:
- 1 Extremely Budget deck (for around $20 or less) to satisfy the people who come here looking for casual, affordable options. His Rareless and Careless deck was a good example of this.
- 1 Extremely Competitive deck that is a bit more expensive than the norm, up to about $100 or so, for the people who want more affordable options for attending tournaments.
- The rest should be somewhere around $50 or so.

This allows JVL to stretch his competitive muscles and "break the bank" every time a new set comes out, allows him to satisfy the casual players with limited entertainment budget, and keeps the majority of the articles somewhere in between.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

These decks are not competative against the decks there created to compete against. If you think they are, take the top decks and see how they match up. Even when designed specifically against them, they can't pull out a reliable win.

The readers of this article have constantly complained that the cost for these decks is too much. Back in the day, the budget was between $20 - $30. I understand that Magic's plans have caused the minimum to jump to $50; but, that doesn't mean double that is budget. Readers here are not Pro Tour bound. Most of us do the occassional FNM, but are more on the casual side. He wants a more tournament focused article. That's ok, as he is the author. However, he should understand his audience expects better focus.

If your coworkers were constantly telling you that you need to work better, would you tell them "This is how I want to work. If you have a problem, go somewhere else." That is the issue here. Budget is budget. Just because it is cheaper then the overpriced top decks means nothing. 
MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred: Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature. Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself? Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill. Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it. Him: You can't do that. Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.
This deck looks very slow to me. The main deck only has 2 1cc spells. And you will rarely be able to use them on turn 1. The 4 Sphere of the Suns are the only 2 drops. Any slow draw could have you dead before you start.
MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred: Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature. Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself? Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill. Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it. Him: You can't do that. Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.
I don't recall who it was or what happened to it, but somemone used to write a column about playing MTGO for MMO costs.  (That is to say, $15 a month.). I always thought that, as far as arbitrary cutoffs go, that was a clever one.

At this point I just feel sorry for JvL.  For years now he's been writing a decent column about semi-competitive deck ideas, and still he has to fight uphill because the column's stuck with this name.  At this point it's an editor's problem: either rename BoaB to something more descriptive, or lay down the law on a budget.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Who is editting these articles? First it was including Ponder in a modern list.

Now:

"I'm already on the Honor of the Pure plan after sideboarding, so I want to make sure the plan is a viable one. Shrine of Loyal Legions will give me a great deal of maneuverability against control strategies."

Shrine makes colorless tokens. They aren't pumped by Honor of the Pure.

"Restoration Angel is still one of the best cards we could ask for in a deck like this. The synergies with Sunblast AngelBlade Splicer, and Stonehorn Dignitary are enough to warrant its inclusion."

Restoration Angel exiles "target non-Angel creature you control."  Seriously?

Two significant mechanical errors in one article is pretty bad.

"This sort of error should not happen and will not happen again. 

-- Trick Jarrett, Editor-in-Chief of DailyMTG.com"

I'd assume your average budget player attends FNM and then buys a few more decks and packs on the side.  I started thinking about the numbers and here's what I came up with:

Four Friday Night Magics a month: 3 packs x 4 = 12 packs
Assume average winnings of 1.5 packs x 4 = 6 packs
Total 18 packs

Average of 16 rares, 2 mythics, 54 uncommons, and 198 commons
Typical Entry fee $15 x 4 = $60

Average value of Innistrad Rare: $2.50
Average value of Innistrad Mythic: $5.50
Average value of 16 rares + 2 mythics: $50
Rough value of Uncommons and Commons: $15

Interpret this how you will, but to me it says a budget deck should have a value of about $65 and be light on the mythics.

Now:

"I'm already on the Honor of the Pure plan after sideboarding, so I want to make sure the plan is a viable one. Shrine of Loyal Legions will give me a great deal of maneuverability against control strategies." 

"Restoration Angel is still one of the best cards we could ask for in a deck like this. The synergies with Sunblast AngelBlade Splicer, and Stonehorn Dignitary are enough to warrant its inclusion."

Restoration Angel exiles "target non-Angel creature you control."  Seriously?

i could not agree more. this is getting rediculous. (pardon my spelling) what's next, playing as much draw in your deck as you can so you can trigger multiple miracles at a time? oh and while we are at it, lets play angel of glory's rise in our elf decks, cause that works.
You comment about Shrine is valid, though there is some synergy between Restoration Angel and Sunblast Angel.  You may not be able to flicker Sunblast Angel, but Restoration does let you untap another creature.  Not a very strong interaction, but it's there.
I have Conspiracy Keanu has a theory about JVL and BoaB:

Now:

Restoration Angel exiles "target non-Angel creature you control."  Seriously?

First one: Could he maybe, just possibly, have meant INTANGIBLE VIRTUE? Same cost, same bonus, very similar. When you have to output this much, you are going to make mistakes.

Second one: I missed the "non-angel" clause in there. I read the card ~ 5 times as I was familiarizing myself with the set to prepare for the prerelease. One word is easy to miss in a wall of text.

Mistakes are possible. Take the job if you want; but ~half of the deck "ideas" I have are covered in various BoaB articles.
Most of what people are saying (and have been saying for some time now) is how this is supposed to a BUDGET column. Budget decks in generally will not be uber competitive, but we expect these columns to be at the bare minimum:

1) Without constant errors (The ponder mishap, this week, the sunblast angel and shrine, etc..)
2) Respecting where most peoples wallets are (under the $60 mark currently seems to be the consensus)
3) To still be playtested against the current metagame

This isn't asking too much.

People arguing that no one just prints off a decklist and buys cards at cost...that is true for some, but not true for everyone. And though most of us do have tradable rares sitting in binders, it doesn't mean we are going to trade a playset of Vindications to make this mediocre deck with it's mediocre yet still expensive rares.

I've seen people talking about how you can get this deck for $60 if you buy cards at their LOWEST pricing online. Those cards are heavily played and usually damaged. At best if you are going to argue deck costs, go by the average mid range price people, be it via ebay or magiccards.info, which is far more reliable.

Don't forget about shipping costs too, which jack the prices up significantly.

Anyway, I've said it before and will say it again, this column is called Building on a Budget, not "Let's build whatever the heck I want and just call it budget". Either JVL needs to be writing another column that has nothing to do with budgets, and get a different writer who respects budgets more, or they rename the column to something else (which I would not want, as I don't want to see this column disappear entirely).

Please, please please please, for the love of Mountain Goat, can you please listen to us and adress these issues JVL (and the editor TJ). It's really getting frustrating coming to this column every week with childlike hope that some good budget solutions will present themselves to us poorer players, only to be let down the majority of the time.

And for those of you that will argue "QQ go somewhere else then" I say fine, point me somewhere else on the net where I can find a Professional Magic Player who writes a Magic Column for budget users, and I will gladly go there. But as far as I've found, this is the closest thing to one I've found, sad as the state of it is these days.

I think that the key about "budget" is not the amount, but rather the principle.  My wife and I have a 'fun' budget of $25 per month each.  We do not let the other go over that amount, except under extrememly rare circumstances (and the amount over comes out of the next month).  This means that we must make decisions about how to spend our money.  If it comes to the end of the month, and I don't have $5 for FNM, then I can't go.  Simple as that.

I would like to see JVL have a set budget.  I would prefer it at $50, but if he wants to make it $100, then fine.  However, once he set a budget, I would not want to see him go over it by $1.  He is getting paid to write a column about building a budget deck, so he should try to actually have a budget.

MTGO makes it even easier for him, because $100 on it is much more than $100 in real life.  The commons and uncommons are usually much cheaper, with the price difference made up in a few mythics and rares.

In other respects, his recent columns have been better, with more testing and modifications and keeping the deck around for more than a week.  I like seeing more text regarding the building decisions, and not just a list of cards.

(As an aside, I voted for the G deck last week, because it was more truly a budget deck, even though I look forward to building a UW flicker deck with AVR stuff.)
I think that the key about "budget" is not the amount, but rather the principle.  My wife and I have a 'fun' budget of $25 per month each.  We do not let the other go over that amount, except under extrememly rare circumstances (and the amount over comes out of the next month).  This means that we must make decisions about how to spend our money.  If it comes to the end of the month, and I don't have $5 for FNM, then I can't go.  Simple as that.

I would like to see JVL have a set budget.  I would prefer it at $50, but if he wants to make it $100, then fine.  However, once he set a budget, I would not want to see him go over it by $1.  He is getting paid to write a column about building a budget deck, so he should try to actually have a budget.

$25/month seems low for a total "fun" budget; I'd expect even someone on minimum wage to have more available than that.  However, let's say that that is your Magic budget, and not worry about other recreational expenditures (because there's more to life than playing Magic).  In that context, then yes, you won't be able to build one of these "budget" decks from scratch every month.  However, if your goal is simply to have a Magic deck to play, then you're in luck.  Magic is a cumulative hobby - money spent on it in the past still helps you play it now.  If you've been spending $25/month for the past 6 months, you should be able to build a $100 deck pretty reasonably.

Personally, I draft a lot but hate spending money on singles at all (not even $25 for a deck).  Therefore, I'm happy to see JVL build decks that eschew the priciest of tournament rares, but don't care if he uses lots of cheap rares.  It's often pretty easy to get the mediocre rares as 7th-10th draft picks, without particularly hurting my draft decks.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

My proposition for more budget friendly, but i think that also more competitive (although numbers may be inacurate) deck.

LANDS - 21

4xBuried Ruin
3xPhyrexia's Core
14xPlains

CREATURES (and all other living things) - 24

3xDoomed Traveler
4xFlayer Husk
3xGlint Hawk
4xLeonin Relic-Warder
4xPuresteel Paladin
2xMidnight Guard
2xGoldnight Commander