Born Undead (RG Undying Pod)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I've been having a blast with the undying mechanic and I honestly think it's my favorite new mechanic from Innistrad block. Trying to think of a way to get the most out of Strangleroot Geist and friends, I settled on a deck revolving around Birthing Pod so I can sac my undying creatures and have them come right back alongside the new one! The deck really fell into place when I dug up copies of an old favorite of mine, Simic Guildmage. Now I can pull the +1/+1 counters off of my undying creatures to put on the Guildmage and make them truly... er... undying. This deck has been a blast to play and one of my favorite uses for Birthing Pod I've found so far. What do you folks think? Is there anything that stands out that could be improved? Here's the list...

Creature (24)

4 x Birds of Paradise

4 x Simic Guildmage

4 x Young Wolf

4 x Strangleroot Geist

3 x Pyreheart Wolf

3 x Lumberknot

1 x Vorapede

1 x Flayer of the Hatebound

Non-Creature (12)

4 x Birthing Pod

4 x Beast Within

4 x Faithless Looting

Land (24)

4 x Copperline Gorge

4 x Rootbound Crag

14 x Forest

2 x Mountain

I've included Beast Within to take care of problematic flying creatures or planeswalkers, etc... and Faithless Looting helps me dig for a Pod or the right creature when I need it, while letting me get rid of extra Pods or Guildmages when I don't need them. I started the deck with a couple more Mountains, but realized I don't really need them with the duals. Flayer has been an absolute all-star for the late game here, burning through those last few points of damage with relative ease. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I have a deck that I love to run at my local FNM thats just like this but instead of R/G I run G/B artifact undying. Its the same strategy just with a twist of control through the black. Its such a blast to play as a total beatdown deck.
I had seriously considered GB, but the Flayer changed my mind. He just has such good synergy with the rest of the deck.
Flayer is a great card and I enjoyed using him when I ran red. Makes the entire undying great. Unfortunately Simic Guildmage isn't standard legal but Hex Parasite is! Same cmc as your Simic but has its pros and cons compared to the Simic. And I keep in Perilous Myr but run Geralf's Messenger instead sometimes depending the meta game. I always have 2 Glissa, the Traitor to get my artifacts back incase they get killed. Ive got Birthing Pod but I keep it sideboard because the highest Ive got is 3 cmc so I run Deadly Allure instead and bonus for the flashback. Force your enemy to kill their own AND get your undying back stronger. And Hunger of the Howlpack an amazing boost for a creature plus remove them with the Parasite to make it stronger when running the undying. And ofcourse Tragic Slip is just amazing removal.
If I did go with Black instead of Red, it would certainly be for Geralf's Messenger, as he's arguably the strongest creature with undying, but that BBB cost is tough to pull off in a two-color deck. If I took this to an FNM or something, I'd go with the Hex Parasite. As it is, I've only played it casually with friends so far. It seems like a GB shell would be quite a bit stronger for an artifact-centered build, though, if only for Glissa.
Sign In to post comments