D&D Tablet

If Wizards wants to dominate the RPG market, they need to do it right.  They need to take D&D to another level... to the NEXT level.

WotC should produce a tablet like device, similar to the Nook Color or Kindle Fire that is proprietary to Dungeons and Dragons.  The screen would be about the size of the Rules Compendium, so very sufficient.  Price the tablet at $200, native with the PHB, DMG, and MM.

In close proximity, these devices would interact with each other.  Content should be automatically updated when connected to the internet (or with optional 3G/4G).  Material should be purchasable right from the device, just like the Nook or Kindle.  DDI subscription should not be required, but should enhance the experience if the subscription is maintained.  These devices should have native game tables (DM view/player view), character generators, combat managers, monster creators, encounter generators, campaign managers; all the bells and whistles.  Linking to the Wizards site, the device would have access to all other custom material that other members choose to make public.  The Wizards native site would support the functionalilty so you can work on a PC/laptop and then upload your work to your device.  The possibilities are rather endless.

Even as just a source for reference material, it would be well worth the price of admission.  With all of the other utilities included, this type of device would blow the atmosphere out of the RPG world.  D&D would rule supreme, bar none, with such a device as the face of its new RPG.

Celebrate our differences.

This isn't going to make any money.

Apps on the various major tablet software platforms WILL .. I think.

Especially if those apps can help in gameplay. An app where the DM can pass notes more discretely to another player with the app sounds pretty fantastic (especially if it can go cross-platform).

WotC should produce a tablet like device, similar to the Nook Color or Kindle Fire that is proprietary to Dungeons and Dragons.  The screen would be about the size of the Rules Compendium, so very sufficient.  Price the tablet at $200, native with the PHB, DMG, and MM.

In close proximity, these devices would interact with each other. 
Content should be automatically updated when connected to the internet (or with optional 3G/4G). 
Native game tables (DM view/player view),
Character generators, combat managers, monster creators, encounter generators, campaign managers;
work on a PC/laptop and then upload your work to your device. 
The possibilities are rather endless.

That is a great idea, unfortunately:
1. WotC dosn't have the resources to do that.
2. The grongards will hate it.
3. Remember the hash that was made of the last D&D digital gaming platform?

It may be possible with an existing platform, with somebody who is not WotC in charge.

Especially if those apps can help in gameplay. An app where the DM can pass notes more discretely to another player with the app sounds pretty fantastic (especially if it can go cross-platform).

Of course the device itself is not going to make money.  That's no different than the Nook or Kindle. 

The object is to get the device into as many hands as possible.  Sell value, cool factor, convenience, new technology...  then sell the apps, books, D&D novels, subscription with value added content, and so on.  They would make mad cash.

It may be possible with an existing platform, with somebody who is not WotC in charge.

1. Hasbro does.
2. Until they use it.  I'm a grognard.  I'd use it.  But books would still be available, of course.
3. No.

Of course the device itself is not going to make money.  That's no different than the Nook or Kindle. 

The object is to get the device into as many hands as possible.  Sell value, cool factor, convenience, new technology...  then sell the apps, books, D&D novels, subscription with value added content, and so on.  They would make mad cash.

The Kindle and the Nook have enough appeal with a BROAD audience for that stategy to work. There are simply not enough D&D players for this to be a feasible and profitable path to take.

The more likely profitable path would be to provide digital tools on the various mobile platforms available, as well as through the web.

Fantasy Flight Games has had some success in this style of distribution with Arkham Horror and Elder Sign and a few other of their games. That's the right direction, because there simply isn't a large enough audience.
The Kindle and the Nook have enough appeal with a BROAD audience for that stategy to work. There are simply not enough D&D players for this to be a feasible and profitable path to take.

The more likely profitable path would be to provide digital tools on the various mobile platforms available, as well as through the web.

Fantasy Flight Games has had some success in this style of distribution with Arkham Horror and Elder Sign and a few other of their games. That's the right direction, because there simply isn't a large enough audience.

How many D&D players do you think there needs to be to turn a significant profit?  Saying there isn't enough players is really just a theory, nothing concrete.  You don't know how many players there are that would purchase it, nor how many would be drawn to D&D because of the device.

You really have no way to validate your claims, unfortunately.  Neither do I, but I don't have to.  I'm just providing a damn cool idea that I think would work.  You think it won't.  Great.  Next opinion.

There's no need for WotC to design hardware (that would be a phenomenally difficult and expensive task, and competing with Kindle, iPad, Nook, the various Android tablets, etc. would be a very high risk strategy). All the functionality you describe could be provided by apps for existing tablets, and there'd be no need for people to buy additional hardware. I wrote a post a couple of days ago suggesting some app ideas - you can find it here.
There's no need for WotC to design hardware (that would be a phenomenally difficult and expensive task, and competing with Kindle, iPad, Nook, the various Android tablets, etc. would be a very high risk strategy). All the functionality you describe could be provided by apps for existing tablets, and there'd be no need for people to buy additional hardware. I wrote a post a couple of days ago suggesting some app ideas - you can find it here.

Apps would be cool, but there is just not enough exposure with just apps.  A D&D tablet would provide that.  It's a portable face to the game. 

Apps would be cool, but there is just not enough exposure with just apps.  A D&D tablet would provide that.  It's a portable face to the game. 

That won't make any money.

I promise you, if whoever's in charge at WotC had this come up as an idea, it would get shot down, and it would be shot down fast.

It's basic economics. If this table t was FAR under $200, than maybe. I'd say it would have to be less than $50 and come with a book for free on it, then maybe, but not likely.

It really is not economically feasible for WotC to go in on developing a tablet that's only purpose is D&D. Apps get as much exposue as their developers give them. If the D&D homepage always has something up about the app, and it's mentioned on the tools page as well, D&D players, at least, will find out about it. You don't care much of Joe Blow who doesn't and won't RPG knows about it.

That won't make any money.

I promise you, if whoever's in charge at WotC had this come up as an idea, it would get shot down, and it would be shot down fast.

It's basic economics. If this table t was FAR under $200, than maybe. I'd say it would have to be less than $50 and come with a book for free on it, then maybe, but not likely.

It really is not economically feasible for WotC to go in on developing a tablet that's only purpose is D&D. Apps get as much exposue as their developers give them. If the D&D homepage always has something up about the app, and it's mentioned on the tools page as well, D&D players, at least, will find out about it. You don't care much of Joe Blow who doesn't and won't RPG knows about it.

Who said that it would be its only purpose?  It could, and should, serve more purposes than just D&D.  But D&D would be the primary focus.  But yes, I am already aware that you think it won't make any money.  Thank you for your input.

It'd be a heck of a lot smarter, if WotC decided to go so far outside their core competency, to just order a few thousand Amazon Kindle Fires, slap a D&D sticker on the back, and load an app.

Jharii,

A lot of times you have some good ideas. This isn't one of those times. Best to pack up the thread and hit "delete" pretend it didn't happen.

Making a tablet device is an extremely capital-intensive undertaking. WotC by itself doesn't have the resources to make such a thing. Could Hasbro? Probably, but they aren't the content mavens that apple,amazon,B&N are by any stretch.
The amount of D&D product that would need to be moved on such a device to make the ROI work is astronomical.

No, WotC Hasbro is much better suited to make aps/content for devices already available.

I would not spend extra on some third rate tablet when I have a perfectly good iPad that could run any and all content WotC wanted to produce.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
WotC doesn't have the expertise to make a tablet. They seem to have a great deal of difficulty with DDI and digital books. I would prefer that they hire some competent individuals to make some solid D&D apps for existing tablets and smartphones.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
WotC doesn't have the expertise to make a tablet. They seem to have a great deal of difficulty with DDI and digital books. I would prefer that they hire some competent individuals to make some solid D&D apps for existing tablets and smartphones.

It could be nice to have an interactive website for uplading your character, but sadly I guess that is there is no money in websites. People pay for apps and hard cover books, but they don't pay for website access.
DISCLAIMER: I never played 4ed, so I may misunderstand some of the rules.

In close proximity, these devices would interact with each other. 
Content should be automatically updated when connected to the internet (or with optional 3G/4G). 
Native game tables (DM view/player view),
Character generators, combat managers, monster creators, encounter generators, campaign managers;
work on a PC/laptop and then upload your work to your device. 
The possibilities are rather endless.

See the link in my signature...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

It could be nice to have an interactive website for uplading your character, but sadly I guess that is there is no money in websites. People pay for apps and hard cover books, but they don't pay for website access.

Actually its more about WotC lack of competency as they've shown over the years. They simply do not have the business savvy to do something on the scale of creating a good piece of software let alone something like this.
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Damn I thought this thread was going to be about cool DnD stuff that you could do on your tablet.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
Damn I thought this thread was going to be about cool DnD stuff that you could do on your tablet.

It would have been, but they send cease and desist orders to nearly everyone that tries to do anything...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
"Hello thread OP. You're thinking way too small. You have to think BIG.

WoTC should create an artificial island and then create a country. Dungeons and Dragons country. With Dungeons and Dragons. Dungeons will be easy enough to make. Dragons... well... I'm sure they'll be able to do something with their unlimited funds, resources and expertise in all the areas of human knowledge..."

*knock, knock*

"Somebody knocked at the door and interrupted me. How rude. Who is it?"

"Hey, hello, sorry to bother you. I'm Reality"

"Hello Reality. What do you want?"

"I'm here to tell you that, sadly, neither WoTC nor Hasbro have access to unlimited funds, resources and/or expertise in all the areas of human knowledge."

"WHAT!? Seriously? Man, what a deal breaker! No DnD country then?"

"I'm afraid not."

"And that DnD tablet thingie? That should be at least possible."

"Hmm... not without an enourmous and hugely risky investment. Or a very unexpected and extremely unrealistic partnership with some big Hardware manufacturer."

"Rats! Apps and/or more web support than the current edition?"

"*Sigh* I fear software support for the DnD franchise has always been quite suboptimal. Nonetheless, the investment would be much more reasonable, so yes, that may be a possibility."

"Wow. What a downer. Still, that's at least something to look forward too, I suppose. Thanks Reality"

"You're welcome"
"Hello thread OP. You're thinking way too small. You have to think BIG.

WoTC should create an artificial island and then create a country. Dungeons and Dragons country. With Dungeons and Dragons. Dungeons will be easy enough to make. Dragons... well... I'm sure they'll be able to do something with their unlimited funds, resources and expertise in all the areas of human knowledge..."

*knock, knock*

"Somebody knocked at the door and interrupted me. How rude. Who is it?"

"Hey, hello, sorry to bother you. I'm Reality"

"Hello Reality. What do you want?"

"I'm here to tell you that, sadly, neither WoTC nor Hasbro have access to unlimited funds, resources and/or expertise in all the areas of human knowledge."

"WHAT!? Seriously? Man, what a deal breaker! No DnD country then?"

"I'm afraid not."

"And that DnD tablet thingie? That should be at least possible."

"Hmm... not without an enourmous and hugely risky investment. Or a very unexpected and extremely unrealistic partnership with some big Hardware manufacturer."

"Rats! Apps and/or more web support than the current edition?"

"*Sigh* I fear software support for the DnD franchise has always been quite suboptimal. Nonetheless, the investment would be much more reasonable, so yes, that may be a possibility."

"Wow. What a downer. Still, that's at least something to look forward too, I suppose. Thanks Reality"

"You're welcome"

Then hope bumps into reality on the way out and says "You shouldn't lie to him, you know the chance of WotC making good solid software is minimal."

"I know," says reality, "I just couldn't help myself...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Jharii, A lot of times you have some good ideas. This isn't one of those times. Best to pack up the thread and hit "delete" pretend it didn't happen. Making a tablet device is an extremely capital-intensive undertaking. WotC by itself doesn't have the resources to make such a thing. Could Hasbro? Probably, but they aren't the content mavens that apple,amazon,B&N are by any stretch. The amount of D&D product that would need to be moved on such a device to make the ROI work is astronomical. No, WotC Hasbro is much better suited to make aps/content for devices already available. I would not spend extra on some third rate tablet when I have a perfectly good iPad that could run any and all content WotC wanted to produce.

The idea is sound.  The logistics, as presented, probably not.

Regardless, the technology is out there.  They would just need to tap into the right people and resources.  Maybe it's just a re-skin of a Nook using Android OS, maybe it's something else.  The point of the thread is to spark the imagination and ideas and to speculate about the concept.

Good lord, why is everyone on the forums always downing one another? I thought this was a Community, not a Battlefield. Try to add some positivity every once in a while!

Jharri 
I agree with your objective but not your means.  There is an easier and more profitable way for WOTC.  You go to their website and purchase whatever digital content you want.   That content appears inside an app that is available in the app store (android whatever).   It can also be accessed through an application on your computer.   Think Kindle Reader.   

Then you allow people to join a group.   Certain digital components will then let you interact with everyone else in the group.  We get everything you were wanting but WTOC of the coast is not saddled with developing a hardware platform of it's own.   Having seen what they've done in the past I wouldn't even let such a device in my house.  It might explode or burn down the house.

But good concept.  Honestly.  The end result is very desirable I think.
I would love some good apps to sink my metaphorical teeth into.  While it might not be likely, I could certainly see a partnership with Amazon to reskin some kindle fires (or Barnes & Noble with their nook, or hopefully both) and preload them with some D&D apps (character builder, dice roller, stuff like that).  Apple doesn't reskin their products, so I don't see a partnership there.  Advertising on the D&D main website for apps and digital content is also a given, I imagine.

The trick is to avoid Lokiare's sig quote  ;)   I know I was all excited about the digital features hinted at in the 4e PH, and when I couldn't even make a character picture a few months later I cancelled my DDi and didn't look back.  I don't love buying book after book, yet oddly I really want to give WoTC $10/month for good digital content.
Something like this would be nice, but I don't really think its feasible.  I would be more than happy with app that incorporates these ideas.  Something that would offer easy rules reference, a character sheet, encounter/status tracking, dice rolling, etc.  In app purchase of new books would provide an ongoing revenue stream.  Sadly, WotC's history with digital is weak at best.

I love D&D more than I could ever love a human child.

Ah, yes.  A partnership with Amazon or B&N would be a great way to tackle this.  The Kindle Dragonfire.  Catchy.

I agree Fitzco.  I was, and remain, a staunch critic of DDI.  The quality is just not nearly up to par with what I would expect a Dungeons and Dragons product to strive for.  This is definitely something another team would have to address.  That team may already be on Amazon's or B&N's staff.  It might take one of those companies to reach out to Wizards and make the offer rather than the other way around.

Good lord, why is everyone on the forums always downing one another? I thought this was a Community, not a Battlefield. Try to add some positivity every once in a while!

But then I wouldn't get to roll my d20...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
If I already had a tablet device, I wouldn't want to buy another one just because it was pre-loaded with D&D stuff. Far better for the existing tablet owners to go to the WotC app store and buy all the content they wanted. That takes advantage of the fact that there are LOT of tablets out there already, and gives them an easy way to grab the gaming bits. Far less inve$tment on WotC's part, doesn't tick off the tablet makers, and we get our digital material. And if I wanted a neat-looking D&D-ish tablet, I could go to SkinIt and design something. WotC could even offer official skins!

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

And that's why such a device would fail, because the D&D customer base doesn't have enough hands to make it profitable, even if they get it into every hand.

The other devices are aimed to get in a number of hands that's way above the D&D Next gamers

Honestly, the iPad does all of this already.  Go play Carcassone or Tick to Ride sometime.  Infrastructure is in place, and the necessary content safeties exist as well. 
In fairness, no it doesn't.  I have an iPad, iPhone, and Kindle Fire, yet I have no good D&D digital content.  A "D&D" reskin on hardware isn't the crux of the argument, at least not anymore.  Having WoTC supported/created software and apps for D&D is what I, at least, am looking for.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; margin:8px">IT tools don't have to be fancy in order to be useful. The following webpage allows me to generate a character for savage worlds. Most web programmers could create a page like this in a weekend or two, but it is really helpful.

www.wcawijngaards.dds.nl/sw_gen/sw_gen.h...

It would be supercool to have something similar for 5ed.
DISCLAIMER: I never played 4ed, so I may misunderstand some of the rules.
It would be supercool to have something similar for 5ed.

Sure.  They need to loosen the reins on the license so the community can create great tools OR they need to create great tools themselves.  IMHO, this was the number one reason why 4E was so polarizing.  It simply wasn't as accessible as previous editions and other systems.

And that's why such a device would fail, because the D&D customer base doesn't have enough hands to make it profitable, even if they get it into every hand.

The other devices are aimed to get in a number of hands that's way above the D&D Next gamers

the other way around could work.
a producer of a tablet/e-reader device, would come to wizards and said we mant to make a way for your customers to acess your tools online and ofline on our device.
but we want to be exclusive in being able to offer your tools when ofline.
this way a company that makes tablet/e-reader devices could add people from the DnD players to their current customer pool. 
In fairness, no it doesn't.  I have an iPad, iPhone, and Kindle Fire, yet I have no good D&D digital content.  A "D&D" reskin on hardware isn't the crux of the argument, at least not anymore.  Having WoTC supported/created software and apps for D&D is what I, at least, am looking for.

I don't even care if they are WotC created/supported just so long as they stay out of the way of some of the awesome programmers out there that make stuff that blows away DDI tools, yet is done on their spare time and given to the community for free.
Either way...

WotC should be getting the message by now that we as a D&D community WANT D&D on our tablets and mobile devices, and they should oblige their customers by offering it.

Or stepping out of the way so 3rd party can offer it. If I could have an interactive Character sheet running on a character builder engine on my iPad, I would almost cry I would be so excited.

Not electric dice rollers, they suck and take away from the fun, but having an actual editable, character sheet on the iPad would rule!

Oh and all the books too.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
Either way...

WotC should be getting the message by now that we as a D&D community WANT D&D on our tablets and mobile devices, and they should oblige their customers by offering it.

Or stepping out of the way so 3rd party can offer it. If I could have an interactive Character sheet running on a character builder engine on my iPad, I would almost cry I would be so excited.

Not electric dice rollers, they suck and take away from the fun, but having an actual editable, character sheet on the iPad would rule!

To not empower the community with the ability to develop digital tools (if they do not provide complete, robust tools themselves) would be irrespoinsible, and borderline negligent.

Either way...

To not empower the community with the ability to develop digital tools (if they do not provide complete, robust tools themselves) would be irrespoinsible, and borderline negligent.

And yet their track record over the past few years has been less than stellar.
Either way...

And yet their track record over the past few years has been less than stellar.

While I agree that we need more tools, I think WotC might be rightly nervous about how much empowerment is too much.  Recall that the OGL + SRD combo was a form of empowerment, and that didn't turn out to be a very good business decision for them in the long run.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Recall that the OGL + SRD combo was a form of empowerment, and that didn't turn out to be a very good business decision for them in the long run.

It made them about $325 million so that can't be bad.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours