DM Next

I have seen very little about how the DM experience will be altered in the new edition. As someone who relies on published adventures, I'd like to hear more about what you all think makes a great published adventure. How can WotC make the DM experience better with D&D Next.
I for one would like to see more multicursal adventures, not true sand-boxy but certainly less rail-road-y.
Hopefully with the flatter power curve there should be room to do this.
I'd like a true sand box published adcventure but it wouldn't really be practical.  An adventure should give the DM all the relevant facts, NPCs and adventure hooks and let the players decide how to go about solving the problem(s) that they are faced with.  It should only attempt to lead by the nose when the group has an opportunity to go in a direction not covered by the adventure (a problem that may occure in any adventure involving over land travel in particular).  Personally i stay away from published adventures for the most part.
I'd like a true sand box published adcventure but it wouldn't really be practical.  An adventure should give the DM all the relevant facts, NPCs and adventure hooks and let the players decide how to go about solving the problem(s) that they are faced with.  It should only attempt to lead by the nose when the group has an opportunity to go in a direction not covered by the adventure (a problem that may occure in any adventure involving over land travel in particular).  Personally i stay away from published adventures for the most part.

Some of the stuff for Savage Worlds worked quite well.
You had 100 mini-adventures spread over a dozen locations and about 1/4 of them are marked with an icon indicating that they link to other mini-adventures.

So for D&D you might have:

63: Stealing from the Theives
Location: The Thieves Guild or The Assassins Guild in Balder's Deep, or any tavern in Balder's Deep.
Adventure: The two guilds are bitter rivals. If the party is new in town but has a reputation a shadowy patron from the Assassins Guild may try to hire the player characters to break into the Theives Guild and steal their ledgers and present them before the city council at the next taxation meeting. The shadowy patron is actually an out-of-town middle-man hired by the Theives Guild, but is unaware of who actually hired him (use the stats for Balder's Deep Adventurer NPC on pg 26). The ledgers are fake, and the Theives Guild hopes to discredit The Assassins by publically revealing the ledgers to be fakes. If this happens the player characters may be arrested (adventure 65: Jail Break!).
Resources:
Guild house map (pg 20)
Street map 2 (pg 25)
Guild Tough NPCs (pg 26)
Balder's Deep Citizen NPC (pg 26)
Guild Wizard NPC (pg 27)
(*Adventure Path: The Lost Crown. If the party previously encountered Davoul Draketooth and they parted on good terms (adventures 02, 11, or 92) he will warn them that they are being played for patsies and will offer to get them out of town if they help him get his shipment through the marshes (adventure 70) to the town of Winterfall)
(*Adventure Path: The Green Maiden. The theives guild contains a map on the wall that shows the final resting place of King Eobard. You can introduce stories of King Eobard's wealth and his lost tomb in any tavern that the players visit. This could lead the players to search for the treasure (adventures 11 or 52) in the marshes of Dragontooth Vale).

Sign In to post comments