05/01/2012 ReConstructed: "Welcome to Innistrad Block Constructed"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I wish i could have 5 cavern of souls in my werewolf deck.

don't know if I am confused, or just surprised.  Blue zombie mill is a valid choice for reg-green werewolves against self-mill decks?  Yes, you might get a few of their creatures away from them if you hit, but you give them more of their flashback spells to help them kill you?  THis is honestly the best plan RG wolves has against self-mill?  Seems very...odd.
don't know if I am confused, or just surprised.  Blue zombie mill is a valid choice for reg-green werewolves against self-mill decks?  Yes, you might get a few of their creatures away from them if you hit, but you give them more of their flashback spells to help them kill you?  THis is honestly the best plan RG wolves has against self-mill?  Seems very...odd.

Sure, Undead Alchemist makes you mill them when they hit, but not only is the creature-exile important, but also the 2/2 zombies for blocking trees and splinterfrights.

And honestly, the flashback spells in that deck are mostly used for fetching more threats (which can't get any bigger) or gaining a billion life. The only time it might really kill you is if they run Artful Dodge in their main.

Yes, I actually had someone kill himself with an Undead Alchemist + Jace in FNM because he milled my artful dodge at 8 life and a ghoultree on board.

Plus, the Alchemist is best deployed early before Splinterfright decks can reach critical mass.

The Alchemist doesn't need to attack. Its static ability means that all of the self mill doesn't do anything for the self mill player, ala Leyline of the Void but for creatures.
Thanks for all the comments so far!

I wish i could have 5 cavern of souls in my werewolf deck.

That must have just been a typo while transposing my written decklist onto the page. (Note how the deck is also 61 cards.) Thanks for pointing that out - it should be fixed soon.

The Alchemist doesn't need to attack. Its static ability means that all of the self mill doesn't do anything for the self mill player, ala Leyline of the Void but for creatures.

Spot-on, Nikosison! Having an Alchemist in play makes every single one of their mill cards a liability, and buys you a ton of time in the process.
Mmmmm... Invisible Stalker sandwiches...
No use of Hellrider in RG werewolf decks? It's just so broken you have to test using 4 of in any creature deck containing significant red.
Funny part is when I made that Delver deck it was based from a draft
How are there no legitimate ramp decks? There are so many exciting fatties coming up in Avacyn Restored... Sure, the other two sets were very ramp barren, but with Avacyn's Pilgrim and Somberwald sage, I sent in a deck that could get Gisela, Blade of Goldnight out on turn 3, Then Craterhoof Behemoth on turn 4. That should put anyone on defense, and finish it up by at most turn 5. That will probably be the biggest change in the format with AVR.

btw, I read this too late to send this in, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Red-White Humans Aggro:
4 Cavern of Souls
3 Clifftop Retreat
8 Plains
8 Mountain

4 Champion of the Parish
4 Reckless Waif
2 Mayor of Avabruck
3 Instigator Gang
4 Kruin Outlaw

4 Gather the Townsfolk
4 Rally the Peasants
2 Midnight Haunting
2 Thatcher Revolt
4 Geistflame
1 Devils Play

Sideboard:
2 Thatcher Revolt
2 Midnight Haunting
4 Righteous Blow
1 Devils Play
3 Battle Hymn
3 Bonfire of the Damned

Man, this deck seems cool. Obviously, you can rush your opponents, using cavern of souls to quickly meet all mana requirements and circumvent counterspells. If we are facing down an opponent with a fistful of burn to control us, a lot of chumpers, or a "no more attack" soft lock, all we need is to sideboard in a Battle Hymn set and a Bonfire of the Damned set. Battle Hymn creates loads of mana fo the bonfire, and when you can't pul that off because you miracled it, You don't need to! Haven't played with it and have no idea if it would work out, and our mana base is ambitious, to say the least. Tell me what you think or if you have any questions.