Druid using Totem, Rapier and Dagger at once.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've got a halfling druid using a rhythm blade dagger for a shield/melee attack and a totem for powers.  I've been looking for a way to get proficiency with a rapier aside from the rapier proficiency feat to give him a greater oppurtunity attack with a high bonus to hit and more damage than the dagger.  Is there a way to get this or a similiar weapon without taking the feat?

I heard that totems don't need to be equipped to be used but can't find a diffinitive ruling on it aside from the item not showing up in the character builder unless it is equiped.  Can totems be used without being equiped?

I was hoping to have a combination of Rapier: Goblin Totem for high damage, Off-hand: Rhythm Blade for the AC/Reflex and a ranged basic attack incase of warlords, and a Spring Renewal Totem for implement powers and healing incase we end up without a leader.  Is this build possible?

Take gritty sargeant background to get a martial weapon, which rapier is one, and +1 init.  You would have rapier without spending a feat.
Totems are held in a hand, not worn.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I heard that totems don't need to be equipped to be used but can't find a diffinitive ruling on it aside from the item not showing up in the character builder unless it is equiped.  Can totems be used without being equiped?

The only slotless implements in the game are Holy Symbols and Ki Focuses.

The only slotless implements in the game are Holy Symbols and Ki Focuses.

So take one of the MC feats that grants you use of those, and shazam!
Or the theme Elemental Initiate to get Ki Focus proficiency and a pretty nice Feature 1/e feature attack power.
Or MC Wizard (to get Tome implement prof.) and take the Arcane Familiar feat for a Tome Caddy.  Now you are wielding your Tome without actually taking up a hand. 
Druids get free mba implement attacks in beast form. Why not just be in beast form when you are close to the opponent. That way you get all your totem expertise bonuses, and other totem bonuses and you only need to keep one weapon/implement up to your level.
You could put that rhythm blade on wrist razors to have them take up the arm slot.
Druids get free mba implement attacks in beast form. Why not just be in beast form when you are close to the opponent. That way you get all your totem expertise bonuses, and other totem bonuses and you only need to keep one weapon/implement up to your level.
You could put that rhythm blade on wrist razors to have them take up the arm slot.

The rhythm blade enchantment specifically says you have to wield that weapon in the off-hand to get the bonus from it, I believe.

The rhythm blade enchantment specifically says you have to wield that weapon in the off-hand to get the bonus from it, I believe.

ah yeah your right. You could still do shielding blade if you don't have a shield bonus.
You drop the Rhythm Blade when you Wild Shape unless you have Quick Stow and unless you already have a shield bonus from elsewhere (not super likely) it does exactly nothing anyway.
you wouldn't drop it if you had Dagger implement proficiency from somewhere.  I don't think there is a conciseness on if Rhythm Blade give you anything if you don't have a shield bonus, beacuse it's really poorly written.
I've got a halfling druid using a rhythm blade dagger for a shield/melee attack and a totem for powers.  I've been looking for a way to get proficiency with a rapier aside from the rapier proficiency feat to give him a greater oppurtunity attack with a high bonus to hit and more damage than the dagger.  Is there a way to get this or a similiar weapon without taking the feat?

I was hoping to have a combination of Rapier: Goblin Totem for high damage, Off-hand: Rhythm Blade for the AC/Reflex and a ranged basic attack incase of warlords, and a Spring Renewal Totem for implement powers and healing incase we end up without a leader.  Is this build possible?

First, you can use the Gritty Sergeant or Noble Bred for War Backgrounds to get free Rapier Proficiency.

Second, my personal view is that the build isn't final until you start playing. Have the majority of your build figured out ahead of time, but don't make the final choices in gear and such until you find out what roles the party has covered. For example, if your party has no Warlord, then bending over backwards to get a decent RBA suddenly becomes a waste. Instead, have a build for a party with a Leader, and a build for a party without a Leader, then choose the one that works best when you get to the table. If you need to tweak it a bit, do so, then present that as your character. Having a character who isn't set in stone when you show up makes it a lot easier to tweak him for maximum party synergy.
you wouldn't drop it if you had Dagger implement proficiency from somewhere.  I don't think there is a conciseness on if Rhythm Blade give you anything if you don't have a shield bonus, beacuse it's really poorly written.

There isn't a consensus.  You'd need to check it with your DM.  However, if you're Wild Shaped, there's little question - you're no longer holding it in your off-hand, it's absorbed into your form.  The property stops working, regardless of whether it worked before.

Shielding Blade has no issues.  Use that, and forestall the argument.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Getting Dagger Implement Prof is another feat. And there doesn't need to be a consensus for an answer to be correct, nor it is poorly written. It is actually quite clear in what it does.
Thank you for the answers.

I'm not sure if I should withdraw the question or not since its causing people to fight.

This character is for living forgotten realms, thus the reason for the high level of versatility based on the players in his level range in my area.  He needs to be able to mix and match from a pool of characters and still be able to contribute.

The wildshape is a non-issue since I went with the druid version in Heroes of the Feywild.  He only has the wildshape to get out of prison/easy shift/daily options.

He already multi-classed paladin for the status removal, which it seems doesn't work quite as I thought (only one charge instead of wisdom modifier charges) and has a few nice feats he can pick up from it.  It also lets him use holy symbols such as Stone of Avandra and Avandra's Whisper (Uncommon and not terribly expensive, but a bit pricey for the stone).

The rapier was mostly for thematics and synergy with other players.  I may scrap his acrobatics for athletics and pick up the rapier, but that leaves acrobatics mostly unfilled and takes away safe fall, as well as other thematic reasons.

I'll stick with the dagger for now, and use the holy symbol slot for the stone to double as an implement and provide re-rolls, and get the totem for healing when/if I can.  I can pick up a sickle for the avandra's whisper to florentine with and still keep the versatile/agile dual wielding caster/guard defender of nature, halflings, and pies theme.

Thanks again for the advice.
The point is if you Wildshape you drop the dagger and the dagger does nothing anyway, because it increases a shield bonus. You don't have a shield bonus to increase.

Shielding Blade solves half the issue, as noted. You'll still drop it when you Wildshape.