How does frost-cheese work?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi there!

I'm relatively new to DND 4.0. I'm busy with some Optimization of my characters. A lot of guides suggest using the "frost cheese combo". I looked at the online-compendium and couldn't figure out how this combo works. I see 2 feats (wintertouched and lasting frost) that activate only when you attack with a power with the "cold-keyword". But with a frost weapon you do not gain the cold-keyword to your powers. Is there an errata I do not know about?

Thanks in advance!
Kees 
No errata you're missing, just a small sidebar where the PHB and RC discuss damage types, indicating that any time you deal typed damage, the power you used to deal that damage is considered to have the appropriate keywords for the damage types you dealt.

Other than that, you're on the right track.  A frost weapon, Lasting Frost, and Wintertouched combine to give you reliable combat advantage and +5 damage to all of your attacks.  Some DMs find this infuriating, but for the cost of 2 feats and a weapon enchant, it's not gamebreaking, even on multiattacking rangers. 
Actually, you do. Adding any damage type to a power automatically adds the corresponding keyword, so if you're attacking with a Frost weapon and you decide to do cold damage, each and every attack through that weapon will have the Cold keyword. IIRC, it was clarified in the RC.

That said, Frostcheese consists of the two feats, a Frost weapon (or other means to gain the Cold keyword), a Shard of Merciless Cold and Gloves of Ice. Up to +14 damage at Epic.
Don't forget icy heart!
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
No errata you're missing, just a small sidebar where the PHB and RC discuss damage types, indicating that any time you deal typed damage, the power you used to deal that damage is considered to have the appropriate keywords for the damage types you dealt.

Other than that, you're on the right track.  A frost weapon, Lasting Frost, and Wintertouched combine to give you reliable combat advantage and +5 damage to all of your attacks.  Some DMs find this infuriating, but for the cost of 2 feats and a weapon enchant, it's not gamebreaking, even on multiattacking rangers. 

Thank you very much all!
One more question; on which page can I find this sidebar about damage-types? 
Don't forget icy heart!

If you don't mind worshipping Sehanine, Silvery Glow does the same trick in heroic

Pale Tooth is another thing to boost cold damage.  AFAI can tell, Icy Heart is a feat bonus, and the others grant untyped bonuses and this is an item bonus.  

Randomly ran across those 
 primordial shards in the compendium, cool stuff!

IraJacobs wrote:

Pale Tooth is another thing to boost cold damage.  AFAI can tell, the others grant untyped bonuses and this is an item bonus.  

Randomly ran across those 
 primordial shards in the compendium, cool stuff!

Nice necro.

Also, that shard really isn't worth your rare slot.  But if rarity doesn't matter, have at it.  That is of course assuming you aren't getting an item bonus to damage rolls from elsewhere (which, generally speaking you should from things like Iron Armbands).

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Matyr wrote:
Also, that shard really isn't worth your rare slot.  But if rarity doesn't matter, have at it.  That is of course assuming you aren't getting an item bonus to damage rolls from elsewhere (which, generally speaking you should from things like Iron Armbands).
I use the forums by searching for content, not browsing.  Sometimes old stuff comes up  

You're right about Armbands being better.  

"Rare Slot"?  Is there a rule that you're only allowed 1 rare item or something?  Where can I reference that?  

It's not a 4e rule afaik, it's a suggestion that PC's only get "a few rare items during their career". It is, however, a RPGA/LFR rule, and many tables follow their guidelines because they're pretty reasonable for average tables (except the banning of content that is setting specific to settings other than forgotten realms)

"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

The LFR rule is 1 rare item per tier.

The suggested DM ruling is 1 rare item that doesn't suck per tier, since most rares aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Pale Tooth included, seeing as it's a typed bonus that only runs 1/tier rather than 2/tier.

Svendj's miniguide to classless damage boosts is a great resource for folks looking at damage optimization:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3714446

Sign In to post comments