Please fix the payout of the draftqueues

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
This has been through this forum, but it has been so far back that I cannot find it or I jumped over it.

Anyway, this a request to stop flooding online with the latest packs.

This includes the inn block draft which takes in 2/1 and gives back in 84: 6 Inn, 6 dka, in 4322 : 6 inn, 5 Dka, in swiss it is especially horrible - 5 Inn, 7 Dka. It also includes the SOM block where the prizes are 2 SOM, 4 MBS, 5 NPH. And even in the dailies, PE-s and 4 pack swiss, certain positions give out more DKA than INN, despite there being no queue available online which takes more DKA than INN.

Please make the prizes be in correlation with the entry options. If the draft takes in 66,7% of set A and 33,3% of set B, then please give back the same amount, in the sealed decks, which take 50% of each set, do not give more of set B in any queue.

Other solutions include: have it be possible to swap packs 1 for 1 within a draftformat, include additional entry requirements which allow any combination of packs A, B(AND C) be used to enter a draft. Also, with the queues where you give out 13 or 11 packs, please have some of the awards be swapped daily or weekly. (1 week, queue gives 4,4,5, next week, 5,4,4, etc)

The current situation is that in the end you are left with a bunch of useless packs with nothing to do with them, which is annoying, time-consuming to swap them, expensive and unfun.

They have said in the past that this is deliberate. Apparently it's what the player base want.

That said, they have seen sense with the classic drafts, but that may be because unlike standard sets you can't just go to the store and buy more of an oop set. Where as with standard you can.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

timotheos, do you have a quote for that? I'd believe the deliberate part, but not that it is what the player base wants.
This post by WotC_K
community.wizards.com/funnygroup/go/thre...

and several other comments from staff members in that thread too.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

But none of the players cracks the packs.
We want to draft with our prizes!!!

I dare you, please I want one(!!!!) person to say the want this twisted payout. We will never get even that one person.
Therefore I think this is  a scam by wotc just to earn money. There is absolutely no reasoning behind this payout whatsoever and I see it it only as a try by wotc as milking off more money from players. The queues at the moment are not paying out the packs that are promised, since in 84 it is more like 7-3 than 84. the same with every other draftqueue.
As far as SOM block is concerned, keep the extra NPH pack for first. When I win I crack the extra pack to surprisingly good results alot of the time. Seriously, half the mythics are 15+ with a bunch of 3-6 tic rares to break even with and some decent uncommons... everything else, however, I'll agree.
As far as SOM block is concerned, keep the extra NPH pack for first. When I win I crack the extra pack to surprisingly good results alot of the time. Seriously, half the mythics are 15+ with a bunch of 3-6 tic rares to break even with and some decent uncommons... everything else, however, I'll agree.

.... Facepalm....

Thank you, mister.
But none of the players cracks the packs.
We want to draft with our prizes!!!

I dare you, please I want one(!!!!) person to say the want this twisted payout. We will never get even that one person.
Therefore I think this is  a scam by wotc just to earn money. There is absolutely no reasoning behind this payout whatsoever and I see it it only as a try by wotc as milking off more money from players. The queues at the moment are not paying out the packs that are promised, since in 84 it is more like 7-3 than 84. the same with every other draftqueue.

What's a scam by WotC? 

We all know what they are doing, we've been discussing it for years.   A lot fo folk don't like it.  But it's no scam, you are a willing and knowing  participant as is everyone else.

One of the reasons for implementing odd draft payours was supposed to be to help eliminate the horrible shortages of third sets in MOL.  Do they help with that?  Or are they unbalanced in other ways?

I will tell you this, jott:  You won't get anywhere with WotC or most of the posters on these boards with wild accusations and insults.  You may have a chance of getting changes by being reasonable and giving rational arguments for your point of view, what's wrong, or suggestions for changes.  Oh, and leave the facepalming to experts, ok?
Thank you, Erik.
The current situation is that in the end you are left with a bunch of useless packs with nothing to do with them...

Welcome to the last 10 years of MTGO. There's been quite a few suggestions over the years for changing prizes, but WotC's pretty much stayed on the current course.
They're useless because of the way the secondary trading economy in MTGO works. Wizards, while sometimes doing a few things to keep the economy balanced, consistently stays away from comenting on it or responding to it.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. In a recent MTGO article Ryan Spain said this:

"We are also adjusting our approach to prize support for Magic Online Cube events. We frequently offer Nix Tix Draft queues on Magic Online: older Draft formats that require only booster packs to enter, no Event Tickets. We are going to change our Magic Online Cube prize support from packs from the current block to packs from the current Nix Tix queue. Now, if you have some success in the Magic Online Cube queues, you will have a great place to use your prize packs."

Note that he says that now "...you will have a great place to use your prize packs", refering to the fact that they are giving time spiral block packs. However, you also had a great place to use your prize packs when they were Innistrad block. The real difference is that by doing this, they don't bring down the secondary price of Innistrad boosters, which affect the economy much more than bringing down the price of Time Spiral boosters. They are doing this for the consumers, but they can't and shouldn't acknowledge it because that will just open many doors to pain for them.

(NOTE: There are many other benefits of them giving out Time Spiral boosters, but I wanted to highlight the one benefit they DIDN'T mention)

As far as they are publicly concerned when you get a booster, it doesn't matter that much what expansion its from. You are free to open it and play with the cards inside or trade it away, but to them all boosters are worth the same.

Also realize that, as with most games/services with forums, the kind of  people who write in the forums are usually a very small percentage of the custumer base and if you just base yourself on the opinions of the forums, you will be misled on what the correct market based desicion would be for anything. I certainly would not be surprised that a large enough percentage of MTGO users like to get boosters from the newer sets and just crack them open, specially since I've witnessed a few players opening boosters in MTGO as if they were real life boosters, and just excited to see the cards they got and add them to their decks or opening a bunch of boosters in hope of getting a chase rare/mythic.

In any case, you should be valuing the prizes for an event for what they are, not for what you would like them to be. If the value of getting 8 boosters is actually equal to 7 4-tix boosters because some of the boosters are only worth 3tix, then you know that is the value of the payout and you have the option of paying to play or not based on the value for you. And as I said, they are worth 3tx because of market conditions, not because Wizards decides to make them worth 3tx (though their price structure obviously affects it, but as has been mentioned, there are other reasons for that). Since its the market that defines the value, you are free to play the market... those 3tx boosters will probably be worth 4 tix when the next large block comes in, so just keep them and trade them then.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
Great post, gabochidillo!
thanks pcjr.. I was begining to think nobody ever reads my walls of text.
thanks pcjr.. I was begining to think nobody ever reads my walls of text.

Hey at least you use paragraphs. A true wall of text just gets the tl;dr treatment. Oh and I agree with PCjr though you keep spelling prize as price. :D

Winter.Wolf (ugh at this new forum with the ridiculous double login)

Oh and I agree with PCjr though you keep spelling prize as price. :D

Fixed... I hope.
very much smartness !!!

OMG. So much love for this post. <3

Guess what? Chicken butt.

I recently came second in a isd block premier. and I also had 5 packs before.

Now after playing 4 pack sealeds and 84 for a month I have 1 isd pack and 19 dka packs.

Please, any wotc person, why do you think this is normal? What do you consider  or think people are doing with the dka packs? What should I do with them? we are given more and more dka packs in queues but any of the queues takes them in. Maybe you could allow any combination of isd/dka packs to join the isd block queues?

The current environment is not fun and does not encourage playing.  I feel cheated because instead of being promised 8 packs to win an 84, I get 6 packs and 2 items of garbage.

I feel like players have given enough suggestions to fix this situation. Please use any or all of them.

Thanks.
I recently came second in a isd block premier. and I also had 5 packs before.

Now after playing 4 pack sealeds and 84 for a month I have 1 isd pack and 19 dka packs.

Please, any wotc person, why do you think this is normal? What do you consider  or think people are doing with the dka packs? What should I do with them? we are given more and more dka packs in queues but any of the queues takes them in. Maybe you could allow any combination of isd/dka packs to join the isd block queues?

The current environment is not fun and does not encourage playing.  I feel cheated because instead of being promised 8 packs to win an 84, I get 6 packs and 2 items of garbage.

I feel like players have given enough suggestions to fix this situation. Please use any or all of them.

Thanks.

An orc told that those threads are beng read by wotc employees. Why aren\t they responded then?
An orc told that those threads are beng read by wotc employees. Why aren\t they responded then?

What would they say? They cannot speak to any plans for the future that have not been announced.

What would they say? They cannot speak to any plans for the future that have not been announced.

They could say excactly that for example... Or they could answer the question.

I don\t understand, this is supposed to be a place for feedback and worries about magic online. But simply I feel like we are not listened in any issues where they aren\t directly interested in the opinion.
There is a big, big difference between reading posts and agreeing with everything said.

Everything here gets read. All of it, every letter, by at LEAST me, and a couple other folks I know of in this building.

I don't have to agree with you to acknowledge your issue and sympathize with your POV. ;)
I'll answer for them:

"Our market analysis has shown that it is not in our best interest to do what you are suggesting. We cannot comment further."

As I said before you should value the prizes on each event based on what they are, not what you would like them to be. 

You could just as well demand for Wizards to increase the prize payout to 14 boosters per event instead of 12 or to reduce the cost of entry by removing the 2 tix and that also wouldn't get wizards employees to write a post to tell you that it is not in their best interests to do that.

They could say excactly that for example... Or they could answer the question.

"Please fix the payout of the draft queues" is not a question.
Sign In to post comments