BU Ashmouth Zombies

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys trying to toss something together now that pre-release weekend is all over. Let me know what you think, ideas are always welcome thanks :P

Lands
x4 drowned catacomb
x2 Cavern of Souls
x13 Swamp
x3 Island

Creatures
x4 Demonlord of Ashmouth
x4 Geralf's Messenger
x2 Demonic Taskmaster
x2 Diregraf Captain
x2 Snapcaster Mage
x3 Black Cat
x4 Gravecrawler

Spells
x1 Black Sun's Zenith
x2 Dismember
x4 Tragic Slip
x3 Distress
x2 Appetite for Brains
x2 Forbidden Alchemy
x3 Ghostly Flicker
It's not actually a good thing to force yourself to sacrifice your own guys, even when they have Undying. Undying means your opponent has to spend two removal cards on them; if you sacrifice them yourself, you're actually giving them an easier time of it.

For that reason, I do not think Demonlord of Ashmouth is playable. A 5/4 flying is nice, but it's really easy for an opponent to get a bunch of card advantage out of you by killing it and letting the enters-play triggers rip your board to pieces.

Similar problem for Demonic Taskmaster, I feel.

I would start with the Zombies Aggro core:

4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Captain
4 Geralf's Messenger

4 Tragic Slip
4 Geth's Verdict
3 Mortarpod

You'll want some two drops, but you want them to be fairly aggressive, so I think Black Cat is a bit weak. Snapcaster Mage is okay, I suppose. Phantasmal Image is another good one (copying Captain or Messenger is excellent).

You also can't really rely on Islands because so many of your cards need black mana, so you want your manabase to be Swamps + dual lands.
I think Demonlord of Ashmouth is playable; 5/4 flying undying for is probably worth sacrificing a creature or two. And it's optional, so if your only creature is a Diregraf Captain when they kill the demon the first time and you need to keep the captain, you can just choose to exile the demon. I agree with MrIndigo that Demonic Taskmaster isn't worth it here, though.

I'd also get rid of Forbidden Alchemy and Ghostly Flicker. As for Flicker, you don't have enough fatties that you want to protect or creatures with valuable ETB abilities. You can flicker your Messenger or Snapcaster to reuse their abilities, but that's just six creatures right now, and you don't want to use it to save anything. And both of those instants have the same problem: zombie aggro generally wants to be fast and aggressive. You can't afford to spend three mana without affecting the board state. If you have more Snapcasters, I'd put in them and more removal. If you don't, I'd put in more zombies.

You should also have more lands, even if you take out the instants. 22 isn't enough for a deck with this many cards that cost three or more.
It's not actually a good thing to force yourself to sacrifice your own guys, even when they have Undying. Undying means your opponent has to spend two removal cards on them; if you sacrifice them yourself, you're actually giving them an easier time of it.

For that reason, I do not think Demonlord of Ashmouth is playable. A 5/4 flying is nice, but it's really easy for an opponent to get a bunch of card advantage out of you by killing it and letting the enters-play triggers rip your board to pieces.

4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Captain
4 Geralf's Messenger

4 Tragic Slip
4 Geth's Verdict
3 Mortarpod

You'll want some two drops, but you want them to be fairly aggressive, so I think Black Cat is a bit weak. Snapcaster Mage is okay, I suppose. Phantasmal Image is another good one (copying Captain or Messenger is excellent).

You also can't really rely on Islands because so many of your cards need black mana, so you want your manabase to be Swamps + dual lands.

Isn't that issue almost entirely negated by Gravecrawler, which is a source of infinite card advantage? Or is it too much to expect that you'll have one on the field every time you want to play the Demonlord?

4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Captain
4 Geralf's Messenger

4 Tragic Slip
4 Geth's Verdict
3 Mortarpod

Isn't that issue almost entirely negated by Gravecrawler, which is a source of infinite card advantage? Or is it too much to expect that you'll have one on the field every time you want to play the Demonlord?

Yes, it's the latter point. If you have a Gravecrawler and another Zombie, then the drawback of Lord can be negated - but you won't have that all the time, and if your opponent has instant speed removal they can still mess with you by killing the Ashmouth Demon while your attempt to recast Gravecrawler is on the stack.

In essence, if you're going to put that much work into a 4 casting cost evasive 5-power beater, why use one that has the potential to nuke your board when you play it when you could play one that nukes the opponents board when they interact with it? or even a one-card CA machine that gives you a whole army of evasion?
Right, makes sense. So it's mostly that it isn't worthwhile compared to the other 4-drops available, and has the potential for things to go horribly wrong.
thanks for the advice guys think im gona remove most of the blue and just keep the duels and the caverns for captains, i think im going to keep at least a couple of the ashmouth demons because i like the synergy with messengers/crawlers but the blue really wasnt doing me much good will repost once im done modifying it.
Sign In to post comments