Goldnight Commander + creatures

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have a Goldnight Commander Out and I play two Eager Cadets, how big is everybody?
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
- Goldnight Commander is 2/2
- You cast an Eager Cadet, the ability triggers and the Commander becomes 3/3 and the Cadet becomes 2/2
- You cast a second Cadet, the ability triggers again and the Commander becomes 4/4, Cadet #1 becomes 3/3, and Cadet #2 becomes 2/2

So the numbers are:
4/4
3/3
2/2
I get confused by the wording of these abilities sometimes.

When I consider a card like Akroma's Memorial, where the wording is similar, I get confused.

Goldnight Commander has a trigger condition (ETB) and an effect. The effect does not specify a target. If I were to apply the same rules as those for the Memorial, the result would be 4/4, 3/3, and 3/3.

Why is this different? What am I missing in the text or rules?
I get confused by the wording of these abilities sometimes.

When I consider a card like Akroma's Memorial, where the wording is similar, I get confused.

Goldnight Commander has a trigger condition (ETB) and an effect. The effect does not specify a target. If I were to apply the same rules as those for the Memorial, the result would be 4/4, 3/3, and 3/3.

Why is this different? What am I missing in the text or rules?

The Memorial has a static ability, with a continuous effect. Creatures you control simply have those abilities, continuously. It has very little in common with the Commander's ability, really.

The Commander has a triggered ability. It triggers when the trigger condition happens, and it gives the +1/+1 counters bonus on resolution. The ability's effect is continuous, but only affects the creatures that are currently on the battlefield when it resolves.

As Eager Cadet doesn't have Flash, and the OP said he is playing them (not putting them on the battlefield at the same time with say Genesis Wave), they aren't entering at the same time, and the player must wait the stack to be empty after casting the first one to be able to cast the second Cadet.

Therefore, the normal play is to cast ONE Cadet from hand. When it resolves, the Cadet enters, and the Commander's ability triggers. When the ability resolves, the creatures the player controls get +1/+1 until end of turn (UEOT) - Commander becomes a 3/3 UEOT, and the Cadet's a 2/2 UEOT. Only then the player can play its second Cadet. When second Cadet enters, the Commander's ability triggers again. When the trigger resolves, the Commander gets another +1/+1 UEOT, becoming 4/4 UEOT, the first Cadet's 3/3 UEOT, and the second Cadet is a 2/2 UEOT (as it didn't was on the battlefield to receive the first +1/+1 UEOT).

[<o>]
The Commander has a triggered ability. It triggers when the trigger condition happens, and it gives the +1/+1 counters on resolution.

Goldnight Commander doesn't give any +1/+1 counters. Its triggered ability creates a continuous effect.
All Generalizations are Bad
The Commander has a triggered ability. It triggers when the trigger condition happens, and it gives the +1/+1 counters on resolution.

Goldnight Commander doesn't give any +1/+1 counters. Its triggered ability creates a continuous effect.

True. Fixed and expanded.

[<o>]
611.2c If a continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability modifies the characteristics or changes the controller of any objects, the set of objects it affects is determined when that continuous effect begins. After that point, the set won’t change. (Note that this works differently than a continuous effect from a static ability.) A continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability that doesn’t modify the characteristics or change the controller of any objects modifies the rules of the game, so it can affect objects that weren’t affected when that continuous effect began. (trigger on Goldnight Commander)

versus

611.3a A continuous effect generated by a static ability isn’t "locked in"; it applies at any given moment to whatever its text indicates. (static ability on Akroma's Memorial)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was missing.
611.2c If a continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability modifies the characteristics or changes the controller of any objects, the set of objects it affects is determined when that continuous effect begins. After that point, the set won’t change. (Note that this works differently than a continuous effect from a static ability.) A continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability that doesn’t modify the characteristics or change the controller of any objects modifies the rules of the game, so it can affect objects that weren’t affected when that continuous effect began. (trigger on Goldnight Commander)

versus

611.3a A continuous effect generated by a static ability isn’t "locked in"; it applies at any given moment to whatever its text indicates. (static ability on Akroma's Memorial)

So if I read this correctly, all the Eager Cadets are 3/3s and the Goldnight Commander is 4/4?
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
So if I read this correctly, all the Eager Cadets are 3/3s and the Goldnight Commander is 4/4?

No.
611.2c If a continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability modifies the characteristics or changes the controller of any objects, the set of objects it affects is determined when that continuous effect begins. After that point, the set won't change. (Note that this works differently than a continuous effect from a static ability.) A continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability that doesn't modify the characteristics or change the controller of any objects modifies the rules of the game, so it can affect objects that weren't affected when that continuous effect began.

When Cadet1 enters the battlefield, it triggers the ability of Goldnight Commander, resulting in effect1.  Effect2 affects Commander and Cadet1 and nothing else.  You didn't describe anything that would put Cadet2 onto the battlefield before effect1 starts.  Anyway, when Cadet2 enters the battlefield, it triggers the ability of Goldnight Commander, resulting in effect2.  Effect2 affects Commander and Cadet1 and Cadet2.

Goldnight Commander: 2/2, effect1, effect2: 4/4
Cadet1: 1/1, effect1, effect2: 3/3
Cadet2: 1/1, effect2: 2/2
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.