Flavor Gauntlet : theScion vs YMTC

534 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi folks!

Taking a break from designing sets and planeswalkers to stretch my OCD with some ICD; and the inspiration comes from YOU! (feel free to read that as why oh yew)

You guys know how gauntlets work, but this one is a little different. As a professed Johnny/Vorthos, I want you guys to submit some snippet of flavor: be it a name, unique creature type, bit of flavor text, short story, or even a piece of art, and I'll card it up. (If submitting art, please also include the name of the artist and/or link to the source) Anything flavory is fair game. The hope is to hit EVERYONE's submissions, so unless this thing goes wild you're guarenteed to see your flavor personified.

Look forward to it!
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?

Art credit goes to =agnes-cecile

Painter's Imagination -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has all activated abilities of creatures of its colors.
Dark was Ixidor's imagination, but inspired it remained.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?

Painter's Imagination -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has all activated abilities of creatures of its colors.
Dark was Ixidor's imagination, but inspired it remained.

"Enchanted creature has all activated abilities of creatures that share a color with it."

I like the effect, but am doubtful on how well it fits the art. That being said, it's certainly inspired ^_^

I second everything you just said. :-)
Try this one on for size, but WITHOUT using the quote as a flavor text:

"Papa has no need of the recording angel; his life is written in the game book."

SEPTIMUS: "Ha ha, a caldendar of slaughter! 'Even in Arcadia, there am I!'"

That's a random one. Had to Google to get more context, for the quote itself, understandably (especially considering the source) read like nonsense. Then that felt a bit like cheating, for the snippet should inspire on its own. After mentally time traveling backwards five minutes to un-google, I came up with this...

The Book of Slaughter -
Legendary Artifact
Whenever a creature would go to the graveyard, exile it instead.
,: Destroy target creature that shares a name with a card exiled by ~.
,: Return target creature card that shares a name with a card exiled by ~ to the battlefield under your control.

Art by Storm Thorgerson.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

Art by Storm Thorgerson.

Woes of the Netherfraught -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature card in a graveyard
Enchanted card has ": Tap target creature, then return the enchanted card to its owner's hand.

Art by Storm Thorgerson.

Woes of the Netherfraught -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature card in a graveyard
Enchanted card has ": Tap target creature, then return the enchanted card to its owner's hand.

How can you a creature in a graveyard?

192884403 wrote:
You're a wizard, Harry. You figure it out. :-)

192884403 wrote:
No it doesn't work within the rules. Part of a designers job is expanding horizons. You couldn't enchant a card in a yard until Future Sight said you could. (To be fair, animate dead tried)
Well, that's not exactly true.  The rules always allowed it.  It's just that no card had been printed with "Enchant card in a graveyard" yet.  The rules really don't allow for tapping things that aren't permanents, though.

However, taking another note from Future Sight, you could have the Aura tap instead.
Well, that's not exactly true.  The rules always allowed it.  It's just that no card had been printed with "Enchant card in a graveyard" yet.  The rules really don't allow for tapping things that aren't permanents, though.

However, taking another note from Future Sight, you could have the Aura tap instead.

Good point. The part that's hard is leaving the card in the yard creates some problems. For instance, how is it you'll know that your Woes of the Netherfraught is enchanting a card and not just in your discard pile? I admit the card has some issues. It is creative though, and if you take a look at the picture I was given, I think it's as odd as the picture is.
Cmon YMTC, bring it. I'll take yo flavor and punch yo eye out!
Ever read Gunnerkrig? Make a card based on the premise or any part of it.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Webcomic/...
A dragon that uses plant spores as a breath weapon. That or viruses, I can't decide between the two.
Name: Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
IMAGE(http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1374/linkaraemrakul.png)
How about some flavor text?

The only thing wrong with free will is the illusion of choice

Hey Everyone, if you have a few minutes I'd like to point you to two links that you might find interesting. The first is a plane of my own creation that is still in the works. I am always happy for some assistance in working on it.

The second is a link to the oldest continuously running contest in the You Make the Card forum. It is truly a contest like no other. It is faithfully run by a handful of regulars who are always kind and open to any new comers, please drop by and check it out if you're interested in making cards!

A pair of names:

Iron-Boot  Jack, the Meteor King

aaaaand

Misarra Asheheart
It will make any sacrifice for the chance to live again.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I would love to but I've never read it and having to do research before making cards is a bit too taxing on time.

I would love to but I've never read it and having to do research before making cards is a bit too taxing on time.

I figured it was worth a shot since you already mentioned googling some flavour text.
A dragon that uses plant spores as a breath weapon. That or viruses, I can't decide between the two.

Sporewing Dragon -
Creature - Fungus Dragon
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on each creature.
Nonfungus creatures with a spore counter on them deal no combat damage.
5/5 
Name: Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Ugin, the Spirit Dragon -
Planeswalker - Ugin
+2: ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
-1: Look at target players hand. You may put a planeswalker or colorless card there onto the battlefield under your control.
-9: Exile all nonland permanents you don't control as long as you control @. Activate this ability only if you control three or more planeswalkers.
How about some flavor text?

The only thing wrong with free will is the illusion of choice

Curse of Envies -
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Whenever a nonland permanent enters the battlefield under enchanted players control, gain control of it until end of turn. It has haste until end of turn. 
The only thing wrong with free will is the illusion of choice. 
A pair of names:

Iron-Boot  Jack, the Meteor King

aaaaand

Misarra Asheheart

Misarra Asheheart -
Legendary Creature - Elemental Rogue
Bloodsummon (You may cast this for only its colored mana requirement if an opponent was dealt damage this turn.)
Intimidate
Spells you cast have bloodsummon. 
3/2 

Regeant of the Ghost Council -
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Haunt
When the creature ~ haunts dies, put it onto the battlefield.
He will make any sacrifice for the chance to live again.
4/4

Wait, nope...that's not the right quote. This is interesting, as how does one make a card make a sacrifice instead of the player?

Here's another try.

Yinshin, Caged -
Legendary Creature - Demon Spirit
When ~ enters the battlefield, put three 1/1 colorless Spirit creature tokens onto the battlefield.
~ can't attack or block as long as you control another Spirit.
5/5

Argh...no not quite right either.

Betrothed Geists -
Creature - Spirit
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature with flying onto the battlefield.
, Sacrifice a Spirit: Put ~ onto the battlefield. Activate this ability only from your graveyard.
2/2
Yinshin is awesome. The others don't resonate as well.

Embrace imagination.

Yinshin is awesome. The others don't resonate as well.

Yea. I have faves I've submitted so far. Yinshin is among them. I can just picture the illustration on the card...the pure rage of the Oni cursed to be kept at bay by simple spirits...and the hulk-like rush of freedom once he's free...awesome.

And I guess mechanically it's a good card with an example of 'good tension' yada yada. Moar Hulk Smash! 
Cardname - Mox Populi
Cardname - Mox Populi

Mox Populi -
Artifact
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player untaps and gains control of ~.
, Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. 
Seeing as a new Ravnica is on the horizon why don't you make a future sight style descendant (as in the grandeur cycle from Future Sight) of a Ravnica legend?
Seeing as a new Ravnica is on the horizon why don't you make a future sight style descendant (as in the grandeur cycle from Future Sight) of a Ravnica legend?

I like this one. I chose Szadek for the reason below (warning: contains spoilers)
Show

Szadek gets arrested by Agrus Kos and sent to prison, where he's killed. His spirit, as many spirits do in Ravnica, goes to the Ghost Quarter where he is able to take control of it from the Orzhov because of his newfound postmortem ability to control spirits. I'm not sure what becomes of Szadek past that, but in that point in time he is powerful enough to kill the paruns of both the Boros (Razia and Augustin), which makes him a very scary creature indeed.

Szadek, Spirit of Hatred -
Legendary Creature - Spirit Vampire
Flying
Whenever a card is put into an opponents graveyard from anywhere, exile it and put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Whenever a Spirit deals combat damage to an opponent, that player puts that many cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
5/5
Little early to crown me the victor, isn't it YMTC?
Guess I knocked 'em out...:-) countdown! 1...2...3...
Names: Ego Crown
Protein Chain
Atom Smasher
Heriditary trait

and YMTC catches a second wind.

Make a card named Congregation of the Damned.
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.
Just since I've been watching Supernatural...

Make a card that's an 'alpha' of its race.  The race being something that people are 'turned' into (like Vampires, Werewolves, Shifters, and so on), and this is the first of that race, that turned everyone else.
\o/
The Prophecy of the Fourth Mask has come true.

Embrace imagination.

Sign In to post comments