New player, need help with Red/Green Deck

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, I'm a new Magic player, and would like some help with building a deck. Almost all of the cards I have are Red and Green, and here's what I have so far:
Creature (27):
4x Reckless Waif/Merciless Predator
4x Hinterland Hermit/Hinterland Scourge
4x Pyreheart Wolf
1x Mondronen Shaman/Tovolar's Magehunter
4x Scorned Villager/Moonscarred Werewolf
2x Wolfbitten Captive/Krallenhorde Killer
4x Young Wolf
4x Immerwolf
Instant (9):
3x Moonmist
2x Hunger of the Howlpack
4x Clinging Mists
Land (24):
11x Mountain
11x
Forest
2x Evolving Wilds
Sorcery (2):
2x Prey Upon
Enchantment (1):
1x Full Moon's Rise

Here's the list of cards that I have purchased, but haven't implemented in the deck:
1x Forest
4x Grizzled Outcasts/Krallenhorde Wantons
2x Prey Upon
4x Villagers of Estwald/Howlpack of Estwald
4x Gnaw to the Bone
2x Hunger of the Howlpack
4x Lambholt Elder/Silverpelt Werewolf
1x Briarpack Alpha
4x Hollowhenge Beast
2x Ulvenwald Bear
1x Village Survivors
1x Wild Hunger
4x Village Ironsmith/Ironfang
4x Tormented Pariah/Rampaging Werewolf
4x Hanweir Watchkeep/Bane of Hanweir
4x Pitchburn Devils
4x Kessig Wolf
4x Feral Ridgewolf
4x Rage Thrower
2x Afflicted Deserter/Werewolf Ransacker
1x Russet Wolves
4x Furor of the Bitten

Update:
2x Mayor of Avabruck/Howlpack Alpha
2x Wolfbitten Captive/Krallenhorde Killer
4x Ulvenwald Mystics/Ulvenwald Primordials
1x Gatstaf Shepherd/Gatstaf Howler
2x Hamlet Captain
2x Instigator Gang/Wildblood Pack
2x Kruin Outlaw/Terror of Kruin Pass
1x Kessig Wolf Run

Do any of you have suggestions of cards I should swap in/out, or other ones I should add to my collection? I know my deck has a Werewolf theme going, but I'm open to suggestions of other cards that would be useful.
-Orohu
Quote what I did to see how I did it. You need to autocard before many people will help you. The is the casual section of the boards, by posting here you have implicitly stated you do not care if you remain standard legal so advice will probably include cards that are not legal to play in standard.

We also need to know your budget. It generally costs a fair amount to make one good deck. We probably will not suggest 100 dollar cards but often will suggest multiple 5 dollar cards.

4 Reckless Waif / Merciless Predator
4 Hinterland Hermit / Hinterland Scourge
4 Pyreheart Wolf
1 Mondronen Shaman / Tovolar's Magehunter
4 Scorned Villager / Moonscarred Werewolf
2 Wolfbitten Captive / Krallenhorde Killer
4 Young Wolf
3 Immerwolf

2 Moonmist
2 Hunger of the Howlpack
4 Clinging Mists
2 Prey Upon
4 Furor of the Bitten

11 Mountain
Forest
2 Evolving Wilds
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Furor of the bitten is bad. Enchantments are rarely effective unless they get returned to the hand. I would suggest replacing with rancor if not for the fact that I want you to run the wolf run instead. Hell run them anyway just reduce to 2.

Clinging mists does not belong in an aggro deck. Try Overwhelming Stampede instead. It is better then overrun when you naturally have strong creatures.

Hunger of the howlpack while a great card needs more interaction with counters for you to really use. I would replace with the best equipment you can find.

Since you are playing red/green anyway might as well include a good source of repetable damage. Grove of the burnwillows and punishing fire is a good one. (but a bit pricey)

One of the biggest problems with werewolves is wanting to do many things in the same turn. you can get around this by putting things directly into play. aether vial can handle that well. Helps if you have creatures congregating at the same converted mana cost. (1 and 3 works great with punishing fire and moonmist).

Prey upon is really a green answer to a problem with removal. If you are running red then you have no need of it. Since you are going to want the two lands you invested in to be in every game use some form of green land search to go find them. I suggest crop rotation.

4 Young Wolf
4 Reckless Waif / Merciless Predator
4 Kruin Outlaw / Terror of Kruin Pass
4 Immerwolf
2 Huntmaster of the Fells / Ravager of the Fells

4 Moonmist
4 punishing fire
3 Overwhelming Stampede
3 crop rotation
2 rancor
1 aether Vial
1 garruk relentless
1 grafted exoskeleton alternate win con, very good for destroying certain had to remove creatures.
1 sword of body and mind a decent equipment that gives you wolves

6 Mountain
6 Forest
4 gruul turf a good dual, ultra cheap
2 cavern of souls
2 grove of the burnwillows pricey but worth it
2 Kessig Wolf Run pricey but worth it

sideboard (I like transformative sideboards, this one would replace your werewolves with a persist/undying theme, not that the finks are hella pricey now pyreheart wolf would work fine instead)
4 kitchen finks
4 murderous redcap
4 power conduit
3 hunger of the howlpack (persist creatures are an excellent reason to use it)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Sign In to post comments