Five Storms - Monk attack question.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was curious if using 5 storms provokes opportunity attacks and if it doese is there anyway to help aginst them?
The standard action power is a close burst; only Ranged and Area powers provoke OAs.  The movement technique is a shift, which does not provoke OAs.  So no, Five Storms does not provoke.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
only Ranged and Area powers provoke OAs.

Ok thanks you for clarifying. I was only confused because OAs get trigged by using ranged and area attacks and the D&D rules compendium clasify 5 storms as an area attack. 

It is a close attack, which is not the same thing.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I guess that's the part that confuses me 12, since that ability reads burst and not close attack but im new to D&D lol. I'm really glad to see people using this forum to help out new players like my self, I really appreciate the help. 
It is a burst, but there are two kinds of bursts:  close bursts and area bursts.  Area bursts provoke, as they are area attacks.  Close bursts don't, because they're not area attacks.  "Area" is a specific term, and not referring generally to an attack with an area of effect.  The four attack types are melee, ranged, area, and close.  It's the bolded first word in the Range entry on the power.  If it doesn't say Area or Ranged there, it doesn't provoke.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
The four attack types are melee, ranged, area, and close.  It's the bolded first word in the Range entry on the power.  If it doesn't say Area or Ranged there, it doesn't provoke.

Awesome, thats the answer I was looking for. Sorry you had to write the whole thing out but it is very much appreciated.

Sign In to post comments