Soulbond

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi

because the text of soulbond is reminder text, I'm not quite sure how to interpret it.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't target. But it it considred a triggered ability? During the pre-release, a player was unsure if he could soulbond angel's tomb with the creature that caused it to trigger. Soulbond isn't worded like a triggered ability so I wasn't sure 
Soulbond is a trigger, you can bond with Angel's Tomb (if you stack the triggers correctly)

however at end of turn they will unbond, since the tomb is no longer a creature
proud member of the 2011 community team
Note that with soulbond, it will only trigger if you control another unpaired creature when the creature with soulbond enters the battlefield. So if you control an unanimated Tomb and no other creatures, the soulbond ability will not trigger. But if you control another unpaired creature and the Tomb and the souldbond creature enters the battlefield, you will be able to pair the Tomb with the soulbond creature (assuming you resolve the Tomb trigger before the soulbond trigger).

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Hi

because the text of soulbond is reminder text, I'm not quite sure how to interpret it.

There is an Avacyn Restored FAQ somewhere around here with the actual rules for it.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't target. But it it considred a triggered ability?

It's considered two (2) triggered abilities.
702.92. Soulbond

702.92a. Soulbond is a keyword that represents two triggered abilities. "Soulbond" means "When this creature enters the battlefield, if you control both this creature and another creature and both are unpaired, you may pair this creature with another unpaired creature you control for as long as both remain creatures on the battlefield under your control" and "Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, if you control both that creature and this one and both are unpaired, you may pair that creature with this creature for as long as both remain creatures on the battlefield under your control."

This is potentially tedious if several creatures enter the battlefield simultaneously, especially if some have soulbond.  But I suppose an acceptable shortcut would be to blow off the triggers that aren't being used (although it might be necessary to track them all if someone is doing something annoying with Deadeye Navigator).
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
thanks for the clarification, Nate, I totally ignored the intervening if-clause
Say I have a Ligntning Mauler already soulbonded to a creature and another creature I control enters the battlefield. Can I soulbond the new creature?
please make a new thread if you have a question

no, you have to break the pairing first before you can pair a new creature

Say I have a Ligntning Mauler already soulbonded to a creature and another creature I control enters the battlefield. Can I soulbond the new creature?

No. Both the Soulbonder and the other must be free (un-paired).

no, you have to break the pairing first before you can pair a new creature

And you can't do this "just because". They will only unpair if one leaves the battlefield (it dies, or is Cloudshifted), changes controller (Act of Treason, Mind Control), or stops being a creature.

[<o>]
If one half of a soulbond pair dies can the other half rebond with a new creature? Or is it just stuck like that
it can rebond with another creature when another creature enters the battlefield
it cannot rebond with a creature already on the battlefield