Curse Fiends (PEACH)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, for those of you who are fans of Piers Anthony's Xanth books, I have decided to attempt a D&D version of the Curse Fiends from his books.  I'm not sure where to put them at in terms of level adjustment, so if anyone has any ideas for that, or any tweaks they think would make them better, I'm all ears!

The Curse Fiends
No one knows the true origins of the Curse Fiends, though the fact that they were once normal humans is perfectly obvious.  Whether through extended contact with darker magics, a bargain with a fiend, or some other unusual set of circumstances, though, these people have been changed to have an extreme talent with curses of all sorts.

Alignment: Curse Fiends, due to their own nature and the nature of the power they wield, have a strong tendency towards Law and Evil.  Finding a truly Good Curse Fiend is nearly impossible, though their human origins do allow for that possibility to occur.
Medium: As medium creatures, Curse Fiends have no modifiers related to size.
Humanoid (Human): For purposes related to race, curse fiends count for all purposes as human.
30 foot move speed
Bonus Feat: Curse Fiends retain this human trait.
Curse Blood (Ex): All Curse Fiends have the dark magic of curses coursing through their blood, giving them an innate resistance to the curses of others.  They receive a +2 on all saving throws against a curse or curse-like effect (such as Mummy Rot or Lycanthropy)
See Curse (Su): All Curse Fiends, due to their intimate knowledge of curses, can automatically identify any cursed item that they spend one full minute studying.  In addition, a Curse Fiend who can make a successful Will Save (DC 13+the cursed items caster level) may use the cursed items as the items they appear to be, whether that is a mundane sword, or a pair of Gloves of Dexterity. 
Make Curse (Su): All Curse Fiends who have 5 or more HD can use a Bestow Curse effect, as the spell, once per week.  All Curse Fiends who have 10 or more HD can also use Greater Bestow Curse as the spell once per month.  In addition, if three or more Curse Fiends work together, regardless of their individual Hit Dice, they can produce similar or greater curse effects, subject to DM approval.
Curse Ending (Su): All Curse Fiends can produce an effect identical to that of a Remove Curse spell once per day.  Most evil Curse Fiends refrain from utilizing this ability, though sometimes they can be persuaded that the best course of action is to lift a curse from another person, if only so that they can place a better one upon them.
Automatic Languages: Common.  Bonus Languages: Any
Favored Class: Hexblade
Considering that they appear to be losing the extra skill points and favoured class flexibility of a human, I'd probably just leave them at a +0 LA.  The benefits that they're getting instead are fairly specific and aren't usable too often, but remain handy.

The mention of undefined extra effects for groups of curse fiends using "Make Curse" is basically meaningless, since bestow curse (and its derivatives) already include notes on potential flexibility, and this addition doesn't introduce any extra guidance.  An increase in the save DC, frequency of use, or other measurable factor of the spell would be more helpful.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Well, see, maybe I should clarify.  The group one can be done regardless of the levels of the ones involved, as well as as often as they want.  The hard part is getting three or more of them to work with the same intent in mind at a time, not what power they all have to be to do so.

In addition, it was pointed out to me that giving them the ability to use cursed items as though they were what they appear to be (via an Identify spell) might be a little overpowering, so I decided to tweak that to where they can use them, if they can succeed on a Will save (DC 13+items caster level) 
Well, see, maybe I should clarify.  The group one can be done regardless of the levels of the ones involved, as well as as often as they want.  The hard part is getting three or more of them to work with the same intent in mind at a time, not what power they all have to be to do so.

Then you probably want to incorporate some kind of check to use the ability.

As a matter of practicality, how do you visualize groups of curse fiends using a touch spell?
In addition, it was pointed out to me that giving them the ability to use cursed items as though they were what they appear to be (via an Identify spell) might be a little overpowering, so I decided to tweak that to where they can use them, if they can succeed on a Will save (DC 13+items caster level) 

I was reading quickly so I misread it as using them just as normal (which doesn't make much sense in retrospect).  Given the difference in value between some of the cursed items and their apparent form, I'd suggest simply allowing them to identify the items, but nothing more; the alternative is probably too good to be practical.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Sign In to post comments