Thunder Guide theme

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings, all. I'm getting to play in a one-shot set in Stormreach, and I've elected to play a Thunder Guide. I'm rolling a Level 5 Ranger for the base class, but I'd like a theme to get the Thunder Guide fun. However, I lent Explorer's Guide to the lass who's running the one shot, so I'm relying off of memory.

So far, all I've got is the level 1 property-thing is "Stormreach Irregulars" to give that bonus to Streetwise checks in Stormreach. I'm thinking...what, count as Trained in Stormreach only?

For the Level 5 property, I was thinking of something like the "bonus on rolls to save people," but I don't remember what the original rule stipulated, or how to translate that well into a Theme property in 4e.

Last, I have no idea what to do for the Utility power.

So, suggestions? 

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
No time to think about a 4e translation, but here is a quick overview of the PrC:

"Speak Lanuage" is granted four times in the PrC.

"Thunder Lore" grants five various choices of things like spell-like abilities and skill bonuses.

"Native Ties" grants three different groups of natives to get specific bonuses with and some nifty other abilities, like being able to have spells cast for you and whatnot.

"Lionized in the Press" grantes bonuses to people who care about publicity.

The "Rescue Artist" feature from 3.5  gave bonuses to climb checks to catch falling characters, strength checks to carrying people, and other things of that nature.

"Serial Hero" grants money for telling your stories to a reporter.

"Society Peer" grants the prefix 'Lord' and some skill bonuses.
What about granting a language or two in the theme somewhere?

Also, it seems like the publicity ascpect could be a decent part of the bonuses. I also find it much easier to give more blanketed bonuses than specific ones (I prefer a smaller bonus to all uses of a skill than a larger bonus to more specific uses) for gameplay purposes.

I like the Thunder Lore aspect of the PrC and might work that into the Utility power and maybe even choose one from a few. The "Ghost of Xen'drik" ability could grant a bonus to Stealth and Nature for the encounter. "Seren Hide" could grant a bonus to AC for the encounter. "Eye of the Chamber" could grant a bonus to your next attack roll. "Breath of Shagon" could lengthen time without needing to breath. "Aereni Crytsalmancy" could grant a false life -like ability as a daily. 
Bleh. I'm probably going to need my copy of Explorer's Guide back before I make a hard decision.....

57019168 wrote:
Is there anything I can help with in the meantime?
Doesn't seem so. I have three things to convert for the theme: A level 1 property, a level 5 property, and a level 2 utility.

Of those, the two properties are taken care of; one is the "Stormreach Irregulars" thing (think its a Thunder Lore?) and the other is the "better at rescuing people" class feature, which I'll have to convert over when I see it.

The utility power is one befitting one of the Thunder Lore's spell-like abilities, but I'd have to see the abilities, see their 3.5 iteration, and then turn them into an encounter power.

So, if I'm going to do this, I have to have my book in front of me. Thanks for the offer, though. 

57019168 wrote:

I have the Explorer's Handbook in front of me right now. Here's a paraphrasing with occasional suggestions:

Speak Language: At 1st level and at every third level thereafter, you learn to speak a new language.

I would transpose the language progression from the Scholar theme from Dragon 399, which gives you a bonus language at level 1 and another language by level 5. If your DM okays it, the theme's RAW at level 10 is you know all the languages in the Rules Compendium (effectively all languages), though if he nixes that part of the theme, I think stacking on the Linguist feat works and represents a more realistic volume of linguistic skill. As a Human, that's already seven languages.  

Thunder Lore: At every even-numbered class level, you learn a secret from your contacts among the civilizations of the Thunder Sea. You can pick one ability from the following list:

• Aereni Crystalmancy, 

• Breath of Shargon: Hold yr breath real good. 

• Dragonsong: Resist charm effects from song-like abilities.

• Eye of the Chamber: Study an opponent to gain a minor bonus in atk rolls.

• Ghost of Xen’drik: Stealth Bonus.

• Malenti Pearl Trick: Use a pearl of 100gp value to cast charm person as a spell-like ability.

• Pandin Temn: Atk and def bonus vs. Large creatures. 

• Savage of the Mists: You can create an obscuring mist as a spell-like ability and you get a bonus to attack rolls when in concealment-level fogs

• Savage of the Storm: You can get a +2 to STR for one minute, and it takes a full round action that provokes AO to do so.

• Seren Hide: +1 natural armor bonus.

• Vicious Barbarism: Any time you reduce an opponent to less than 1 hit point per Hit Die, you instinctively go for the kill and deal extra damage.

• Xen’drik Boomerang Expert: You know how to use a Xen’drik boomerang. You can even catch it too.

My suggestion is to develop attack powers in the style of Dark Sun Campaign Setting Themes for these.

Native Ties: Every three levels, you gain bonus to Diplomacy, Gather Info and Sense Motive when dealing with natives of a specific region and an ability specific to yr choice. Examples of natives/regions: Xen’drik Drow, Northern Steppes Elves, Shargon’s Teeth Sahuagin, Seren Barbarians, Storm Giants of Xen’drik, Stormreach Irregulars.

Rescue Artist: Automatic successes on checks to catch a falling character, +4 bonus to STR checks when carrying others or supporting others. (i.e. swinging a rope while holding someone, swimming while holding a drowning dude)

Lionized in the Press:  "a +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy checks when dealing with members of the press, nobility, and dragonmarked houses in Khorvaire."

Serial Hero: At 8th level, famed Korranberg Chronicle reporter Kole Naerrin writes a serialized account of your adventures appearing over the course of thirteen weeks. You earn 1,000 gp per point of your Charisma bonus for the rights to your story (minimum 1,000 gp).

You, sir, are my new favorite person.

Now, to translate.... 

57019168 wrote: