A Modern Pauper Tournament in the PDCMagic.com Tradition
Sunday, April 29th, 2012 @ 12:30 PM EST
Sponsored by MarlonMTGO.com!
WHEN and WHERE
Registration will open at 12:30 p.m. Eastern in /join pdc and /join moderncom. The first round will begin approximately thirty minutes later. Please note that it is Daylight Savings Time in the United States, so check your timezone at Greenwhichmeantime.com to make sure you don't miss it!
COST and PRIZES
This event is absolutely FREE, no tickets needed just bring a deck that fits the rules below. Prizes will be awarded to the Top 4 finalists. (Donations are always welcome -- PM Cabel in game). Wizards of the Coast, Magic Online and boards administrators do not provide any support for this event. Participate at your own risk. Check the PRE FAQ for other questions and answers.
LEGAL CARDS and PROXIES
- The format for this event will be Modern PDC.
- Cards printed as common in the following sets are legal in Modern:
Eighth Edition, Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn, Champions of Kamigawa, Betrayers of Kamigawa, Saviors of Kamigawa, Ninth Edition, Ravnica: City of Guilds, Guildpact, Dissension, Coldsnap, Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, Tenth Edition, Lorwyn, Morningtide, Shadowmoor, Eventide, Shards of Alara, Conflux, Alara Reborn, Magic 2010, Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise of the Eldrazi, Magic 2011, Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia, Magic 2012, Innistrad, & Dark Ascension.
- The following cards are BANNED in Modern Pauper:
Empty the Warrens
Seat of the Synod
Vault of Whispers
Tree of Tales
Rite of Flame
Please beaware that TIME SHIFTED cards count as RARE in Time Spiral block. This means cards such as Icatian Javelineers and Serrated Arrows are NOT LEGAL in Modern Pauper. Other cards that are not printed at common in any modern legal set are but might show up in a Gatherer search include Corrupt, the Circles of Protection, and Rewind; these are also NOT LEGAL in Modern Pauper.
- Cards printed as uncommon or rare in these sets, though printed as common in an unlisted set, are not legal. For example: Corrupt is printed common in Urza's Saga, but not legal in Modern.
- REMEMBER: Commons are cards that have black rarity symbols. If a card is common in a Modern legal set, then any copy of that card is a legal proxy, regardless of prior rarity.
- The use of illegal cards in the first round will result in a match loss and the opportunity to legalize the deck for the next round. The use of illegal cards after the first round will result in disqualification.
REGISTRATION and REPORTING
- Once in /join pdc, players will be directed to /join moderncom to register ('reg') and to report results and drops. Please keep both channels open for the duration of the tournament. Pairings and standings will be posted in this thread, so keep this open during the event as well.
- Drops must be reported to the tournament organizer! This makes the tournament much smoother and more fun for players and host alike!
- The number of swiss rounds and finals cutoff will be determined by the number of players:
- With less than 18 players, we will play 3 rounds of swiss followed by a top 4 cutoff.
- With 18 players or more, we will play 3 rounds of swiss and a top 8 cutoff.
- With 24 players or more, we will play 4 rounds of swiss before a top 8 cutoff.
- With 40 players of more, we will play 5 rounds of swiss before a top 8 cutoff.
- The deck and sideboard used in the first round must be used for the entire event. Deviation from the deck used in the first round will result in disqualification.
- The use of illegal cards in the first round will result in a match loss and the opportunity to legalize the deck for the next round (with disregard to the above rule). The use of illegal cards after the first round will result in disqualification.
- Matches must be played in the Anything Goes room, must be timed for 60 minutes, must be watchable, and must have "Modern" in the description. It is the responsibility of both players to ensure matches are set up correctly.
- If a player doesn't join his or her assigned match within 10 minutes of pairing announcements, the opponent will be awarded a game win. If a player doesn't join the assigned match within 20 minutes of pairing announcements, the opponent will be awarded a match win. You must attempt to PM your opponent if he or she doesn't show up in a timely fashion, and if they do not reply, PM the tourney organizer to start the timer.
- Intentional draws (IDs) are not allowed. Come to play all rounds and have fun.
- Please don't talk in other players' games unless both players agree that it is okay. Also, please don't use the tournament reporting room (moderncom) for off-topic chat. Generally any civil chat is allowed in the tourney room, at the discretion of the organizer.
AFTER the EVENT
- Players in the Top 4/8 are required to post their decklist in this thread or in gatherling following the event, to encourage deck development and discussion.
- Players who make the Top 4/8 must post their decklist before prizes will be given.
- Season points will be awarded only after the decklist is posted.
- If a list is not posted in one week, the respective points will be gone forever.
- Top 4/8 players who do not post their decklist will also lose their participation point.
SEASON, SEASON POINTS and WORLDS CHAMPIONSHIP
To be determined
Prize support for Modern PDC is generously provided by MarlonBot! Please search MarlonBot in classifieds to find them.
1st place: 7 credits
2nd place: 4 credits
3rd-4th place: 2 credits
5th-8th place: pick of a card from the prize pool
A surprise DOOR PRIZE will be awarded randomly to a player who has played all swiss rounds but has not made the cut. Usually it is awarded shortly after the final tables' first round has started.
If you have any questions feel free to let me know! I am Cabel in game, Cabele on these forums, and Copperfield on the PDCMagic.com forums. Thanks for playing!