Bard Blues

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a bard that just caused some hell hounds to flee as fast as they can away from her. Should I have them hunt her down silently once it wears off, springing from the shadows to catch her unawares? 
Personally I'd say no due to cool points unless they are being controlled by something bigger, she has proven herself as an 'Alpha' to them so they will be very wary of her at the very least and are likely to avoid her and look for easier prey.
Personally I'd say no due to cool points unless they are being controlled by something bigger, she has proven herself as an 'Alpha' to them so they will be very wary of her at the very least and are likely to avoid her and look for easier prey.

If the bard has proven to be the alpha, the pack might return to him/her for their next hunt expecting the bard to lead it.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

If the bard has proven to be the alpha, the pack might return to him/her for their next hunt expecting the bard to lead it.

Not quite. tiamatdragonwing did a pretty good job of explaining, but the Hell Hounds wouldn't necessarily consider her an 'Alpha' per se. Alphas are part of the pack, and the bard isn't. She has simply proven that she is stronger and the pack shouldn't attack her. Hell hounds are wild animals, and aren't even evil aligned. If they think the bard is too tough for them to take down, they won't risk their lives in combat with her.

I suppose if resources and food are scarce enough, the hounds might come back again, but only out of extreme desperation.
Being not-quite-natural creatures, they could have almost any reaction to the bard.

It would be pretty cool for them to plot revenge of some kind. It might not be anything complex, but if the hounds, say, bit through a rope at a crucial moment it could be disasterous for the bard.

As cool as that would be, though, it teaches the party the lesson never to leave enemies alive, which could lead to them always going for the kill, which can be boring.

It would also be cool for them to want the bard to lead them, or to follow her like little puppies and come to her defense. This would be something for a clever DM to keep in their back pocket for when the PCs could use help out of a jam. The hounds come barrelling in, keeping the enemies at bay, or dragging downed PCs out of the way. This sort of thing would usually be frowned on as deus ex machina, but the PCs sort of set up the possibility themselves, and so might see it for the clever reincorporation that it is.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Centauri said it best. As "hell hounds" rather than just a group of your every day wolves or the like, they're more likely to interact with the Bard and her party again, be it on good or bad terms. How you choose to have them interact is largely dependent on the kind of plot device you want these creatures to carry for the PCs and the plot that they return in.
I think the hell hounds are the servants of the Harpy Queen who, after speaking with her pets and hearing about a bard that can instill fear with the sound of her voice, decides to send a squad of harpies and gargoyles to capture the bard and bring her to the Screaming Fissure, a rift where the Queen rules over a large community of twisted cave dwellers.

Will the PCs be able to stop them from stealing their bard away? Or will they be mounting a rescue while the bard gets some spotlight time in the strange and raucous court of the Harpy Queen?

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

It would also be cool for them to want the bard to lead them, or to follow her like little puppies and come to her defense. This would be something for a clever DM to keep in their back pocket for when the PCs could use help out of a jam. The hounds come barrelling in, keeping the enemies at bay, or dragging downed PCs out of the way. This sort of thing would usually be frowned on as deus ex machina, but the PCs sort of set up the possibility themselves, and so might see it for the clever reincorporation that it is.

+1
Sign In to post comments